Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

RE: plugins
i stopped using eclipse when i learned how it works with maven

sane people would run maven in another process, maybe with some messaging hooks so you don't have to parse std-out like an animal

well, that's not how m2e (maven plugin for eclipse) does it. m2e takes all the maven configuration data and slurps everything up into the JVM running eclipse, including whatever maven plugins you have specified. this is why every maven plugin has to have a eclipse specific configuration or eclipse gets all whiny; m2e was causing too many OOMs and resource leaks because plugin devs didn't cleanup or anticipate their code running more than one per call to maven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
slurping maven into your app was part of maven's intentional design. Specify project info once, have it parse able by the same code base in any context

Idk whether to blame your problems on eclipse or plugin authors

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

well, the problem with that is the implicit context of the plugins. most of them are going to get tested with little interaction with other plugins and in a context where the host JVM is destroyed at most minutes after usage and the same code is never executed twice

regardless of the maven design, the ecosystem of the plugins makes it seriously questionable to inject them into some running process that isn't disposable

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Brain Candy posted:

well, the problem with that is the implicit context of the plugins. most of them are going to get tested with little interaction with other plugins and in a context where the host JVM is destroyed at most minutes after usage and the same code is never executed twice

regardless of the maven design, the ecosystem of the plugins makes it seriously questionable to inject them into some running process that isn't disposable

yeah i'm not sure whether this is a mistake by eclipse, or by plugin authors

if you are loading maven in your same jvm just for the sake of its side effects, that seems like a mistake by eclipse. loading up maven data should be done for project data

if you are loading maven in your jvm for project info, and this somehow requires you to load plugins that exist to manage side effects, that seems like a mistake by plugin authors

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

so apparently they went from "we'd love to hire you RIGHT NOW" to total hiring freeze in 3 weeks and didn't bother telling me for a month. and the other company I was supposed to have an interview with just laid off 4,000 people. welp.

at least the guy says he has a lead on a position as a PHP developer (lol)

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Luigi Thirty posted:

so apparently they went from "we'd love to hire you RIGHT NOW" to total hiring freeze in 3 weeks

this is one of the dangers of looking for a job near the end of the year.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

as much as we make fun of it php dev is better than retail

barely, because it at least gives you software dev experience

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Dear terrible programmers, across the land:

Proofread your goddamn resumes.

Love,
CPColin

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Arcsech posted:

as much as we make fun of it php dev is better than retail

barely, because it at least gives you software dev experience

in the way that working at a garage that only fixes 1974 Triumph motorcycles technically gives you mechanic experience yet is still preferable to starving

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Luigi Thirty posted:

in the way that working at a garage that only fixes 1974 Triumph motorcycles technically gives you mechanic experience yet is still preferable to starving

php experience is actually pretty handy to have, because there's always gonna be some ancient POS laying around that needs to be updated and it's always in PHP, so it's not as bad as yospos makes it sound.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
a friendly reminder of why this thread exists

sarehu posted:

You have to be emotionally retarded to interpret that retroactive abortion comment as vitriolic.* When I read comments like that I think, yes, I have felt that way and written like that, and I know how he feels, and it doesn't turn me off at all. So I think if other people are turned off then they are wrong to be so and their reasons or mere feelings are invalid. Also you are overlooking all the benefits of the tone he has. You'll see that sort of thing at other check-your-ego-at-the-door type environments.

*For example you'd have to be emotionally retarded to view that sentence as vitriolic too. And I mean materially vitriolic, with actual vitriol behind it.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
php is pretty good for learning compared to things like ruby on rails where things like http headers and sql injections are dark mysteries of an ancient and bygone era.

like i used curl to make an api auth request the other day. and then there was a cookie just sitting there and i was like 'oh wait, that's how sessions work??'

what i'm saying is, php is close to the metal

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
otoh cgi's are less stateful than big lumbering web servers and if you're not learning how to deal with layers upon layers upon layers of state then you're not learning anything useful

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

mostly I'm afraid of PHP on a resume being like the university of phoenix on a resume and actively harming your chances of doing non-PHP things because you don't know anything that happened after 2000

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

mostly I'm afraid of PHP on a resume being like the university of phoenix on a resume and actively harming your chances of doing non-PHP things because you don't know anything that happened after 2000

any software experience is better than no software experience

if your only option is php, then do the php and write some junk in your spare time in something you like, chuck it up on github, and link to that on your resume when you go to look for a not-php job

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Arcsech posted:

any software experience is better than no software experience

if your only option is php, then do the php and write some junk in your spare time in something you like, chuck it up on github, and link to that on your resume when you go to look for a not-php job

counter point: i know fortran and wrote a gaussian integrator or something in it for a coursework. that fact is not going anywhere near my cv whatsoever

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

rotor posted:

php experience is actually pretty handy to have, because there's always gonna be some ancient POS laying around that needs to be updated and it's always in PHP, so it's not as bad as yospos makes it sound.

no one doubts that there is always demand

just working in php chafes the brain

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

rotor posted:

we don't have any php stuff

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

just working in php chafes the brain

rotor posted:

it's not as bad as yospos makes it sound.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Shaggar posted:

we don't have any php stuff

hey thats great *pats u on the head*

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
we have classic asp and jsp which are almost as bad.

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

as someone who writes php, these are both true

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

specifically it was "PHP developers with .net experience" he said the company was looking for which makes me very afraid for what they're actually doing

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Luigi Thirty posted:

so apparently they went from "we'd love to hire you RIGHT NOW" to total hiring freeze in 3 weeks and didn't bother telling me for a month. and the other company I was supposed to have an interview with just laid off 4,000 people. welp.

i had this thing happen to me before. woulda been a 50% salary increase, but at least i already had a job

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
the important thing is not to work with the best technology all the time, but to know why it's bad, pick your battles, and deal sensibly with the cards you're given
typecasting php programmers is a thing that happens, but if you can get to an interview people will appreciate your story on how you dealt with broken legacy system X

i'd rather hear "so we decided to stick with php but move everything to a supported version asap and try to develop new features as services when it makes sense" than "so we decided to rewrite everything in node.js/go/haskell"

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

Luigi Thirty posted:

specifically it was "PHP developers with .net experience" he said the company was looking for which makes me very afraid for what they're actually doing

you should ask them

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

suffix posted:

you should ask them

I did which I assumed was implied

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

suffix posted:

typecasting php programmers is a thing that happens

heh, i'm pretty sure that's one problem php programmers don't have

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
the best eclipse plugin I've ever used is IvyDE. does pretty much exactly what it says on the box.

m2e is somehow even more obtuse and lovely than maven itself.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

heh

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

:xd:

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

the best eclipse plugin I've ever used is IvyDE. does pretty much exactly what it says on the box.

m2e is somehow even more obtuse and lovely than maven itself.

lol

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
I've turned into the build engineer at work.

:stonklol:

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Space Whale posted:

:rip:

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

On the one hand I've actually learned git pretty well. I made my architect with WAY more experience just drop his jaw fixing poo poo merges.

OTOH I need to learn how to be an rear end in a top hat and make people follow the swim lanes.

Also, TeamCity.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Space Whale posted:

talk about owned

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Space Whale posted:

On the one hand I've actually learned git pretty well. I made my architect with WAY more experience just drop his jaw fixing poo poo merges.

OTOH I need to learn how to be an rear end in a top hat and make people follow the swim lanes.

Also, TeamCity.

so I was a build engineer for a while and here is my advice:

1) Have no tolerance for broken builds. if someone breaks a build, let everyone know who did it. Ideally, you should set things up so a broken build is impossible.
2) Have no tolerance for "just one more thing" commits when the build train is about to leave. Especially have no tolerance for people above the food chain fighting you to cram in one last feature. You know its wrong, and deep in their hearts they know it's wrong too.
3) Write your build logic in some scripting language. python seems like a decent choice.
4) Nightly builds are Just Fine. Full builds per commit are nice if you can do it, but don't kill yourself over it.
5) Absolutely do not be afraid to call people out on lovely behaviour like missing/sassy commit messages, constant flip-flopping trying to solve bugs by trial and error, committing straight to trunk instead of branch & merge, that sort of thing.
6) When a release goes extra smooth, spread some love around in the form of expensive scotch.

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Space Whale posted:

congratulations on your new role as the build janitor and the merge janitor :3:

Space Whale posted:

:kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

that loving pixel

• Locked thread