Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The enemies that bleed lava is the only thing I don't like. It does look kind of rough, but it's an alpha so whatever. It still looks more appealing than Wrack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

RyokoTK posted:

The enemies that bleed lava is the only thing I don't like. It does look kind of rough, but it's an alpha so whatever. It still looks more appealing than Wrack.

Yeah, the damaging blood is an insanely dumb idea. As for how hectic/busy everything is, I kind of like it, but to me it seems more like a high-action coin-op arcade game rather than Quake.

Something like this, except not on rails and lacking dinos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xsb8Ozbtdfc

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jan 29, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mak0rz posted:

Here's a gameplay demo of Strafe. I think it looks pretty decent. The HUD+gun take up way too much screen space though, holy poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48GlqcTDqzc

I don't know if its the gigantic helmet + motion gun, or if its the slow movement controls, but that feels more like Metroid Prime than Quake. Hrm.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Zaphod42 posted:

I don't know if its the gigantic helmet + motion gun, or if its the slow movement controls, but that feels more like Metroid Prime than Quake. Hrm.

Have you ever played Metroid Prime? :psyduck:

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

If not, it's $10 on the eShop right now! Even comes with its two sequels!

foozwak
Apr 8, 2005

RyokoTK posted:

Thanks for posting that. In all Early FPS games, there is no puzzle so appallingly poorly designed as the Colony Ship puzzle.

Didn't one of the Aleph One releases simplify things so you only had to hit the switches once? I seem to recall reading that was later changed back to the old style of painstakingly leveling the platforms correctly. If so, what a crock of bullshit.

I think there was a secret terminal in 2 where Bungie apologized for that map.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mak0rz posted:

Have you ever played Metroid Prime? :psyduck:

...yes?

Have you? :colbert: Not really sure what you point is dude, maybe you should explain it.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

foozwak posted:

Didn't one of the Aleph One releases simplify things so you only had to hit the switches once? I seem to recall reading that was later changed back to the old style of painstakingly leveling the platforms correctly. If so, what a crock of bullshit.

I think there was a secret terminal in 2 where Bungie apologized for that map.

Well, sort of. Previous versions of Aleph One couldn't handle the Marathon 1 filetypes, so someone went to the effort of making a port of the game that would work in the A1 engine (it was called M1A1). The guy took the liberty of making some map adjustments, like that one on Colony Ship, where you only have to hit the switches once because the platforms just lock right into place automatically. Some people didn't like the "inauthentic" experience, but it's kind of irrelevant now because Aleph One can now open the original files without trouble, so you can play Marathon 1 the way God intended.

M1 is a pretty bad game no matter which way you slice it, though, but M1A1 is still around and you can play that version instead if you prefer.

e: ^^^ Aside from the goofy helmet HUD it looks absolutely nothing like Metroid Prime, not even in the slightest bit.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Zaphod42 posted:

...yes?

Have you? :colbert: Not really sure what you point is dude, maybe you should explain it.

I just can't see how you can find them similar apart from the helmet HUD and that enemies splatter :shrug:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

I just can't see how you can find them similar apart from the helmet HUD and that enemies splatter :shrug:

Zaphod42 posted:

Really don't know how much simpler I can explain it.

Now, if you disagree, go ahead and say so! But enough with this beating-around-the-bush bullshit. Comeon dude. What is it you disagree about? You think that Strafe looks fast paced like quake? You don't think metroid prime is slower than quake? Something else entirely? I'm not going to sit here and play 20 questions with you. Speak your mind or let it go.

:suicide:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jan 29, 2015

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

dis astranagant posted:

Is there something I can do to make gzdoom pause and let go of my processor while minimized?

This is actually due to a fix to make demos stop breaking when the window lost focus. Before, a universal pause state was set in the gametic, and the demo would end up having its tics moved around. This was changed so that only the netbuffer was paused and would no longer advance the nettic and gametic counters.
It worked a little to well, and the timer kicks into overtime as it constantly thinks the netbuffer needs to make new tics.
This should be sorted out real soon.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Duke Nukem 3D turned 19 years old today. Surprised 3DR hasn't done anything special celebrating it.

EDIT: Almost forgot; the EDuke32 guys porting EDuke32 over to Android have officially announced it and shown what'll be in it with a quick trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZGlnPmY_3w

It'll have the original game, Duke Nukem 64, the PSX port, and all of the expansion packs in one package. Nice.

closeted republican fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jan 30, 2015

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

But not the Saturn port.

Not like Urea 51 would really have been worth it, granted, but still.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Wait, in Strafe can you only use 1 gun at a time? I... :psyduck:

Edit: oh good an upgrade system

Vakal
May 11, 2008

closeted republican posted:

It'll have the original game, Duke Nukem 64, the PSX port, and all of the expansion packs in one package. Nice.

Does that mean the Total Meltdown exclusive maps? If so, goddamn sweet.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Nothing related to anything posted recently but two things:

1. Been watching cyraptors old doom 2/d64 lps as background and they're both pretty hilarious. Well okay, d2 was hilarious, d64 alternate between funny and sad because you could tell he was hating it by the end. Both good runthroughs though, if you need something to watch. Dunno if he even visits sa anymore but if he does, thanks for all the effort you put into those!

2. Been slowly playing Doom 3: BFG with a controller, having only played the original version when it first came out, and you can totally tell they designed it around the slower pace you need with sticks because it actually works.

Also, after loving around with lots of options in the console to get it looking like the original, I have to say I think the pumped up lightscale in bfg looks a lot better than the original. But unless you change a lot of options the game really does look like poo poo, it took a few hours of work to get the game to accept manually changed config options without using the console (so i can still get achievements) and getting all the right options copied from D3 to have it looking good.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Vakal posted:

Does that mean the Total Meltdown exclusive maps? If so, goddamn sweet.

Yep.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Zaphod42 posted:

Really don't know how much simpler I can explain it.

Now, if you disagree, go ahead and say so! But enough with this beating-around-the-bush bullshit. Comeon dude. What is it you disagree about? You think that Strafe looks fast paced like quake? You don't think metroid prime is slower than quake? Something else entirely? I'm not going to sit here and play 20 questions with you. Speak your mind or let it go.

:suicide:

I'm sorry this is so important to you? :confused:

Metroid Prime's gameplay is anything but hectic and twitchy, is kind of what I was getting at. Strafe really didn't seem all that slow to me (though certainly not Quake speeds), but it isn't exactly about first-person platforming/exploration and going to giant rooms containing only four enemies and firing slow homing shots at them one at a time until they die.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jan 30, 2015

reinardus vulpes
Nov 5, 2010

de cele amor Dieus me gart

Mak0rz posted:

Here's a gameplay demo of Strafe. I think it looks pretty decent. The HUD+gun take up way too much screen space though, holy poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48GlqcTDqzc

You know, watching dev after dev fail to recapture the "feel" of early FPS classics has given me a new appreciation for the effort that went into their design...

CyRaptor
Aug 27, 2004

Fuck Sandy Petersen, again.

site posted:

1. Been watching cyraptors old doom 2/d64 lps as background and they're both pretty hilarious. Well okay, d2 was hilarious, d64 alternate between funny and sad because you could tell he was hating it by the end. Both good runthroughs though, if you need something to watch. Dunno if he even visits sa anymore but if he does, thanks for all the effort you put into those!
Hey hi thanks yeah I'm still here. Those old LPs are pretty embarrassing and bad and you probably have bad taste for liking them. I also did an Ultimate Doom marathon stream last year that's up on Youtube and marginally better but still sad.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Wow. Just... wow.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Another stupid gzdoom issue: when I adjust brightness or gamma it flashes the change then goes right back to really dark defaults. Google turns up a years old forum thread that doesn't seem to have a solution.

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.
I actually kind of like STRAFE's HUD :shobon: It reminds me of the cluttered FPS doomclone HUDs that were apparent everywhere. Even if it is cluttered with nonsense.

The gun's movements make me puke though, holy poo poo. And the casings are the size of a small dog each. It feels like you're possessing a hovering gun instead of controlling a human.

That sounds like a pretty fun FPS premise actually.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

CyRaptor posted:

Hey hi thanks yeah I'm still here. Those old LPs are pretty embarrassing and bad and you probably have bad taste for liking them. I also did an Ultimate Doom marathon stream last year that's up on Youtube and marginally better but still sad.
Hah nice! And yeah im replaying d3 so clearly my taste is pottery poo poo, so can i get a link to that yt? Was actually kinda bummed that you didn't have a ultdoom lp to watch lol

It's been a few years since you did those lps, did you finally give up the doom life or you still making wads? Move on to duke3d?

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

That Strafe video looks incredibly unappealing. Narrow little hallways and boring blocky rooms? One whole main weapon? No unique enemy patterns besides melee or chucking fireballs? A developer saying they are planning to tweak turrets to be more of "bullet sponges"? Lots of enemies that spray nukage everywhere that you then have to avoid? None of that looks good.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

reinardus vulpes posted:

You know, watching dev after dev fail to recapture the "feel" of early FPS classics has given me a new appreciation for the effort that went into their design...

A big part of it is that instead of hiring level designers everyone's doing this stupid level generation thing.

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Random level generation, a system coded originally for games with levels composed of little more than hollow boxes with doors, should stay far the gently caress away from FPS's. They're just not meant to be.

Also that one weapon only system, even with upgrades, is just stupid. The whole point of having multiple weapons in FPS's is not to make a steady progression from good to bad guns but to give the player different ways to approach different situations. If you give a player a single gun, you're basically telling them to play the entire game a single way.

Hopefully they just mean that those are the guns you start off with, rather than have to deal with a single gun the whole time.

I'm starting to regret impulse-funding their Kickstarter.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Elliotw2 posted:

A big part of it is that instead of hiring level designers everyone's doing this stupid level generation thing.

This is funny to me because it would seem that level design is especially important in "Classic FPS" games. I mean, level design is pretty much always an important thing, but in a genre of game where survivability is predominately dependent on pickups and gameplay hinges on enemy and item placement (and general level "flow"), you'd think this would be one of the worst places to emphasize procedurally generated maps.

Sure, games where you wander around, explore, and survive are great places to have random map generation...but not Doom.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Elliotw2 posted:

I wouldn't say that. It's not like there were 2.5d level designers around to hire for Doom, for one example. Most of Doom's levels are designed by people who became level designers through brute force

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

This is funny to me because it would seem that level design is especially important in "Classic FPS" games. I mean, level design is pretty much always an important thing, but in a genre of game where survivability is predominately dependent on pickups and gameplay hinges on enemy and item placement (and general level "flow"), you'd think this would be one of the worst places to emphasize procedurally generated maps.

Sure, games where you wander around, explore, and survive are great places to have random map generation...but not Doom.

I'm just going to go ahead and point out that I've played plenty of OBLIGE random maps for Doom that were a lot better than whatever they're using to randomly generate levels for these new games. In part because the OBLIGE devs have played a ton of player maps for an established game engine and thus can program something to generate maps that work well with the engine.

Randomly generating levels doesn't have to suck, but in order to avoid sucking you need to have good designed levels to start with, to learn what your generator should go for.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Nintendo Kid posted:

I wouldn't say that. It's not like there were 2.5d level designers around to hire for Doom, for one example. Most of Doom's levels are designed by people who became level designers through brute force

Yeah but even then they had someone actually making the level and knowing how it's supposed to flow and feel from Wolf3D and earlier shooters. They had to expand it to involve height changes, but they knew how to actually make levels and what was fun to play. It's not like there's any shortage of level designers in 2015 either, nor is it hard to learn and practice map making in literally any engine you care to use.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I'm not too worried about the map generation yet. They've been making it clear that it's still pretty early in development; level design takes quite a lot of time and effort so I wouldn't be surprised if they came back with more robust generation and more pieces to move around later on.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Nintendo Kid posted:

I'm just going to go ahead and point out that I've played plenty of OBLIGE random maps for Doom that were a lot better than whatever they're using to randomly generate levels for these new games. In part because the OBLIGE devs have played a ton of player maps for an established game engine and thus can program something to generate maps that work well with the engine.

Randomly generating levels doesn't have to suck, but in order to avoid sucking you need to have good designed levels to start with, to learn what your generator should go for.

I don't entirely disagree, but I feel like OBLIGE is the exception, not the rule.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Doom is the killer "fps roguelike". You could play a couple hours a night, never repeating maps, and it would still take years and years before you ran out of player made content, and that's without touching Oblige, which as noted produces better maps than any of the style I've played thus far (Ziggurat, Tower of Guns, Paranautical, Heavy Bullets, something else?...)

It's almost as though in "classic fps's" gameplay isn't just pressing the shoot button on your biggest gun until everything is dead.

CyRaptor
Aug 27, 2004

Fuck Sandy Petersen, again.

site posted:

Hah nice! And yeah im replaying d3 so clearly my taste is pottery poo poo, so can i get a link to that yt? Was actually kinda bummed that you didn't have a ultdoom lp to watch lol

It's been a few years since you did those lps, did you finally give up the doom life or you still making wads? Move on to duke3d?

I tried pasting the Youtube URL but I guess the forums want to embed it instead? So here you go I guess:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nu5e6fZzRbQ
I assume you can just click through to see the other parts, I don't know how this works

And no, I haven't given up on Doom mapping, I just do it very rarely and I'll probably never end up releasing anything publicly beyond what I already have. And I actually edited for Duke3D long before I got back into Doom in high school. I did it backwards.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Elliotw2 posted:

Yeah but even then they had someone actually making the level and knowing how it's supposed to flow and feel from Wolf3D and earlier shooters. They had to expand it to involve height changes, but they knew how to actually make levels and what was fun to play. It's not like there's any shortage of level designers in 2015 either, nor is it hard to learn and practice map making in literally any engine you care to use.

No, it really is hard to practice map making when you don't have the game's enemy and weapon balance figured out for real yet. And really the Wolf 3D example is a good example of how it doesn't work - straight ports from the Wolfenstein 3d design rarely are good. You have so much more to work with, even just from having more than one type of ammo and the ability to walls that weren't either flat or 90 degree angle.

And hell, you ever play some of the Doom Alpha maps, the versions ported into to modern Doom format so that the elevators work and monsters move? In some places they play and work great, in others they just fall flat. You can see as time goes on though that they start to figure out what level designs can work, as they start having a working game world to run in them.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I don't entirely disagree, but I feel like OBLIGE is the exception, not the rule.

I don't see how it can be the exception when it's pretty much the only serious contender. Quite simply the only thing that makes it "exceptional" is that a good deal of effort and testing has gone into it.

Like with the level of effort many of these new games put into their random generator, you have them spend that same effort making levels and they'll also be crap, since it's so minimal.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Nintendo Kid posted:

I don't see how it can be the exception when it's pretty much the only serious contender. Quite simply the only thing that makes it "exceptional" is that a good deal of effort and testing has gone into it.

Like with the level of effort many of these new games put into their random generator, you have them spend that same effort making levels and they'll also be crap, since it's so minimal.

It's the exception because every other game's attempt at making procedurally generated maps sucks by comparison to hand-made maps. SoF2, Tower of Guns, Ziggurat, Paranautical Activity, Hellgate London, Heavy Bullets, etc.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I was instantly turned off when they said it had procedural-generated levels. It turns out the actual game is another generic roguelike FPS game that tries to be "old-skewl" and fails to be so in every possible way. It feels like it's designed to appeal to nostalgia-obsessed teens and 20-somethings who are "big hardkore oldscool first person gamerz" but really haven't played classic fps games lately except that time they played a few Doom 2 levels in Brutal Doom two years ago and made by people who think the only thing that makes an FPS old school is going (relatively) fast.

closeted republican fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jan 30, 2015

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

MONKET posted:

I'm starting to regret impulse-funding their Kickstarter.

You have until the Kickstarter ends to cancel your pledge. I'm going to hold out for a couple of more updates, but as of right now I've never had a developer's attempt at promotion kill my interest in a game so quickly before.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I am a little amused that the website mentioned all these features long before the kickstarter but apparently nobody bothered to read that stuff. I think Strafe looks fun, but it's definitely not a classic FPS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

You have until the Kickstarter ends to cancel your pledge. I'm going to hold out for a couple of more updates, but as of right now I've never had a developer's attempt at promotion kill my interest in a game so quickly before.

Neat, thanks. Yeah I think I'll hold out for a bit longer as well. Just seems that they're heading in the wrong direction.

Geight posted:

I am a little amused that the website mentioned all these features long before the kickstarter but apparently nobody bothered to read that stuff. I think Strafe looks fun, but it's definitely not a classic FPS.

Gotta admit their trailer did get me pretty pumped