Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Scottw330 posted:

I am so tempted by that frame. I've been waiting for a good mini tri for a while now, but I've been scared of anything mechanical (Ahhh! moving parts!).

As for that flight controller and tx combo, that is a great setup. A lot of people switch from the KK2 to the Naze32 eventually, but the Naze requires a bit more setup and tweaking. It also lacks a screen for easy adjustments in the field. I've use the KK2 on all of my builds so far and they fly great.

Thanks, that's just the sort of thing I was looking to find out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

PREYING MANTITS posted:

I'm throwing together a waterproof/resistant quad dedicated to flying over and possibly down onto the surface of bodies of water (ie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTlwYwi-Uys) but I'm trying to keep the costs relatively minimal. Looking at frames I saw that game of drones "Hiro" frame they use in the video and it seems to do what I want for $150. Was just curious if anyone here has had any experience with that frame or some similar setup they might recommend?

I wish I had posted the video now but I saw a video of what looked like a chinese quad flying INTO the water, completely submerging his props and motors, RUNNING THE MOTORS UNDER WATER to roll the quad back over, then takes off from the water. Whatever quad he was using was godly.

EDIT: found it!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnrmuntLygE
and not chinese, seems to be something called a Mariner quad

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jan 27, 2015

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

I wish I had posted the video now but I saw a video of what looked like a chinese quad flying INTO the water, completely submerging his props and motors, RUNNING THE MOTORS UNDER WATER to roll the quad back over, then takes off from the water. Whatever quad he was using was godly.

EDIT: found it!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnrmuntLygE
and not chinese, seems to be something called a Mariner quad

Oh my god, that's insane. Even though I knew what was going to happen I still cringed when it flipped over at the beginning as he laughed. I didn't realize there were motors that could tolerate being dunked like that!

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I just talked drones with Morgan Spurlock for 15 minutes last night at Sundance. Super nice dude.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

PREYING MANTITS posted:

Oh my god, that's insane. Even though I knew what was going to happen I still cringed when it flipped over at the beginning as he laughed. I didn't realize there were motors that could tolerate being dunked like that!

Most brushless motors can take it, it's the speed controllers that can't tolerate getting wet. You need to seal them or put them somewhere water won't get in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4z8QMgTEA4

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yeah apparently the brushless motors act as sort of a natural pump and keep water out of them? or magic? probably magic. I still don't understand how that waterproofing spray works on mechanical parts but that is also magic I assume.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

There is nothing magic about a motor running underwater, even a generic brushed toy motor will do it.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

The challenge is keeping it running underwater for more than a few minutes. The brushes in a brushed motor will corrode really quickly and the whole thing will stop working. Brushless motors don't have any moving electrical contacts and are sealed with enamel so they'll work fine for much longer. You'd want to protect the connections to the motor's wires so water doesn't go up inside the insulation.

You can encapsulate electronics in resin or similar but the big issue is heat dissipation. Most epoxy doesn't conduct heat very well and if the components get too hot they'll catch fire or melt. Ideally you'd stick them in a watertight air-filled container but you're probably not going to be putting that on a quad.

On a kind of related note, are there any good resources explaining how brushless camera gimbals work? I'm mostly interested in how to precisely rotate a motor without needing a gearbox and some sensor.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I would imagine there are also real problems with changing the load you're putting on the motors by increasing the drag on the props so much. Burning out would be my worry. And/or breaking props.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

As a known Slow Stick aficionado, I have owned many gws slow sticks. I learned to fly on one, put my first gopro up in the air on one and was doing ap on one way back in the early 2000's.

My main gripe with them has always been the super scalloped, undercamber wing that made for great lift at low speeds, but made it impossible to fly in any wind or at any reasonable speed. It was also made of very brittle foam that would crack easily.

Lo and behold, hobbyking has remade the slow stick with a normal epo wing and ailerons!!!

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__39818__Hobbyking_Slow_Stick_Brushless_Powered_Airplane_EPO_Carbon_Fiber_1160mm_ARF_.html

I guess I'm getting back into the slow stick game!!

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

MMD3 posted:

I just talked drones with Morgan Spurlock for 15 minutes last night at Sundance. Super nice dude.

Are you a local to the area or here for work? I live in Salt Lake, park city always gets crazy busy around Sundance time. A lot of locals get all dressed up and walk the streets hoping to see some celebs. I have never done it, I'd rather let the popular in-crowd just come enjoy the scenery without being bothered too much.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Are you a local to the area or here for work? I live in Salt Lake, park city always gets crazy busy around Sundance time. A lot of locals get all dressed up and walk the streets hoping to see some celebs. I have never done it, I'd rather let the popular in-crowd just come enjoy the scenery without being bothered too much.

I had a photography job at one of the lounges, flew into Vegas then road-tripped with a friend through Zion, went to the Outdoor Retailer show for a couple days then worked at Sundance all weekend. I was shooting for Indiegogo and one of the companies represented in their lounge was a Chinese drone company named Ehang who were crowd-funded on indiegogo were promoting their "Ghost" drone. Morgan Spurlock came by to fly it (they decided against flying it for good reason) and instead just chatted with him for a while about their drones.

I have photos from the weekend of Spike Lee, Jason Schwartzman, Keanu Reeves, Hugo Weaving, Jemaine Clement, Kevin Smith, Jack Black, Kid Cudi, Jake the Snake, Ethan Hawke, Kristin Wiig, Jason Sudeikis, Michael Shannon, Thomas Middleditch, etc. signing a drone (for charity).

It was a really random trip, Sundance is fun but odd and all about who you know to get you into things. I will say that Peter Saarsgard, Kevin Smith, and Joseph Fiennes were all very nice and gracious and I didn't have any negative encounters with celebs other than Chris Pine telling me that drones freaked him out and being generally stand-offish.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Are there any concerns about the legality of flying a drone with a camera in a big city? I live in Chicago and would love to capture some video of the gorgeous skyline, but would I be breaking any FAA laws or anything? Googling the issue leads me to believe it's a grey area.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Well last night I ordered this frame and all the parts needed. Now we wait [for the backordered motors to come back into stock].

Happily an RMA for a busted LCD that has been in replacement limbo for months was easily turned into a credit that covered almost 50% of the order's cost.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

Jmcrofts posted:

Are there any concerns about the legality of flying a drone with a camera in a big city? I live in Chicago and would love to capture some video of the gorgeous skyline, but would I be breaking any FAA laws or anything? Googling the issue leads me to believe it's a grey area.

I don't think there are any real guidelines about it, which basically makes it legal. You'd be responsible for any damage, injury, etc though.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

As a known Slow Stick aficionado, I have owned many gws slow sticks. I learned to fly on one, put my first gopro up in the air on one and was doing ap on one way back in the early 2000's.

My main gripe with them has always been the super scalloped, undercamber wing that made for great lift at low speeds, but made it impossible to fly in any wind or at any reasonable speed. It was also made of very brittle foam that would crack easily.

Lo and behold, hobbyking has remade the slow stick with a normal epo wing and ailerons!!!

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__39818__Hobbyking_Slow_Stick_Brushless_Powered_Airplane_EPO_Carbon_Fiber_1160mm_ARF_.html

I guess I'm getting back into the slow stick game!!

Ugh, now I had to order one.

Got my Bix3 in the mail last night. Plane itself is way better designed then the previous versions, but I'd suggest getting the ARF version over anything assembled.

It seems the default motors are horribly imbalanced, to the point of the shaft itself being slightly bent. Ordered a new third party motor mount and a higher quality motor, but pulling that pre-glued plastic motor mount out is going to be a pain.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
My only complaint with my Bix3 is that the rear landing gear wheel is connected direct to the servo along with the rudder. Which is notionally fine but when you land on anything besides a smooth road or something, even smooth grassy turf is going to yank that wheel (and therefore the servo arm) good on landing which has ratched two servos so far.

If you're not taking off and landing from a paved or concrete surface then I'd recommend either flying with no landing gear at all, or disconnecting the rear wheel from the servo and gluing it up or something so it doesn't flop around at least.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Other than that it's been very good to me. Especially the ability to pop the wings off the fuselage so it can fit in the drat trunk.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Mister Sinewave posted:

Well last night I ordered this frame and all the parts needed. Now we wait [for the backordered motors to come back into stock].

Happily an RMA for a busted LCD that has been in replacement limbo for months was easily turned into a credit that covered almost 50% of the order's cost.

Gonna be living vicariously through you until I can afford a setup with this

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Mister Sinewave posted:

My only complaint with my Bix3 is that the rear landing gear wheel is connected direct to the servo along with the rudder. Which is notionally fine but when you land on anything besides a smooth road or something, even smooth grassy turf is going to yank that wheel (and therefore the servo arm) good on landing which has ratched two servos so far.

If you're not taking off and landing from a paved or concrete surface then I'd recommend either flying with no landing gear at all, or disconnecting the rear wheel from the servo and gluing it up or something so it doesn't flop around at least.

I had not thought of that, will probably just glue the wheel into position.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Displaychat: Whats the cheapest non-ghetto analog video display out there, for FPV? I have everything else, but I've been waffling on this. I'll probably end up with goggles at some point, but I'd like a backup, and a way to fly when I don't have a spotter.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Frobbe posted:

Gonna be living vicariously through you until I can afford a setup with this

If clumsy noob mistakes are what you want, then I'm your man :radcat:

e: It was actually a tough decision between building my own small Y copter with that frame, or going to an SK450 which was actually a bit cheaper when I added it all up.

I sort of wanted something to handle my Pan/Tilt/Roll mount + goggles for FPV but I decided to wait on that and leave it on the plane for now. I'll stick my Boscam all-in-one camera + tx + recorder on the little copter.

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jan 29, 2015

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

MrYenko posted:

Displaychat: Whats the cheapest non-ghetto analog video display out there, for FPV? I have everything else, but I've been waffling on this. I'll probably end up with goggles at some point, but I'd like a backup, and a way to fly when I don't have a spotter.

I really quite like my Quanam goggles. They avoid the eye separation issues you can have with the per eye goggles like you get with fatshark. Those never end up comfortable for me.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Nerobro posted:

I really quite like my Quanam goggles. They avoid the eye separation issues you can have with the per eye goggles like you get with fatshark. Those never end up comfortable for me.

A fellow giant-goddamned-domed gentleman?

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

MrYenko posted:

You can get 8" monitors for under $100. Most of the FPV sites out there sell a rebrand of the ones that don't shut off when you lose signal:
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11_22_228&products_id=1191
http://www.getfpv.com/8-lumenier-lcd-fpv-monitor.html

If you want to go really cheap they go down to 5", but 8 seems to be a good value/dollar point.

Personally I mount my screen on a dolica tripod.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001D60LG8/

Solder an xt60 connector to the power plug, grab a cheap 3s 2200 and use a loop of velcro to stick it to one of the legs. Has worked well so far, and if down the road you get an antenna tracker you've got a tripod to put it on

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Hey maybe someone here can answer me a quick question that it probably somewhere in the manual but I haven't found it at a glance and I'm anxiously planning poo poo out :dance:

The AUX input to the KK flight controller is to control auto-level on/off basically from what I understand. I'll never actually want to fly with auto level off. Can I somehow leave it disconnected and have it default to auto-level always, so I can use that 5th channel for something like this video switcher I have never gotten to use instead?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Does the op still post? If I effort post about the legal issues in the community can we get it there, or if someone effortposts about the diy side we can do a new thread?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Mister Sinewave posted:

Hey maybe someone here can answer me a quick question that it probably somewhere in the manual but I haven't found it at a glance and I'm anxiously planning poo poo out :dance:

The AUX input to the KK flight controller is to control auto-level on/off basically from what I understand. I'll never actually want to fly with auto level off. Can I somehow leave it disconnected and have it default to auto-level always, so I can use that 5th channel for something like this video switcher I have never gotten to use instead?

With the default firmware, at the very least, the KK2.1.5 auto-level is AWFUL. It suffers from pretty extreme drift, and has caused me to crash hard twice, and have to put down a bunch of other times to go put hands on it. To get the thing to really reset what it thinks is level, you seem to have to pull power to the controller, and then restore it while it's level. It's a great oh-poo poo-button though.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Elendil004 posted:

Does the op still post? If I effort post about the legal issues in the community can we get it there, or if someone effortposts about the diy side we can do a new thread?

Ola? Yeah that motherfucker posts in cycle asylum all the time.

The thread is ~4 years old now, I think it's about time for a new one anyway.

Scottw330
Jan 24, 2005

Please, Hammer,
Don't Hurt Em :(
Does anyone use a Taranis with a flight simulator?

Basically I'm looking for a good flight sim that I can hook up to my Taranis to practice flying multirotors. Also, I'm not sure what type of cable I would need to do that. I'm trying to get better at flying without auto-level, and I think a sim would help.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
The most popular flight camera on amazon right now is this thing:

http://www.amazon.ca/UDI-RC-U818A-2-4GHz-Quadcopter/dp/B00D3IN11Q/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys&ie=UTF8&qid=1422579454&sr=1-1&keywords=camera+rc

It's a really low barrier to entry, but the camera only does 640x480 and is stuck pointing straight ahead.

If someone wanted to map out 24 hectares (59 acres) of boreal scrubland by walking around with a drone, sending it up to take a picture straight down and then stitching all the photos together into a bigassed panorama, could this thing do it?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

You'd be better off with a CHDK compatible Canon point & shoot:
http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK

I recently picked up a Canon A4400 for that purpose for $40 on ebay.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Scottw330 posted:

Does anyone use a Taranis with a flight simulator?

Basically I'm looking for a good flight sim that I can hook up to my Taranis to practice flying multirotors. Also, I'm not sure what type of cable I would need to do that. I'm trying to get better at flying without auto-level, and I think a sim would help.

Yep. I use aerofly RC7 (available on Steam or their website) with my Taranis Plus.

I put in about 5 hours on the sim before getting my Hubsan X4 in the mail. Ended up removing the prop guards because I never really crashed it that hard.

The Taranis just needs a USB cable to plug into the computer. You'll have to setup a Simulator profile with the opentx companion. Here's a link to the profile that I use.

Note: I don't think my profile is optimal, so if anyone can take a look at it and see if I can make any improvements ... that would be awesome.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005

ImplicitAssembler posted:

You'd be better off with a CHDK compatible Canon point & shoot:
http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK

I recently picked up a Canon A4400 for that purpose for $40 on ebay.

Could you use that to tell a camera to take one picture every 5 seconds until it runs out of space?

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
quick video and a few photos from my Inspire today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvnzRk-jyW8

DJI_0004

DJI_0038

DJI_0059

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
geez, that is very stable. the first few seconds look like tripod footage.

Can you get the gimbal movement to have some sort of dampening? or exponential ramp up so the moves don't happen so instantly?

Scottw330
Jan 24, 2005

Please, Hammer,
Don't Hurt Em :(

Odette posted:

Yep. I use aerofly RC7 (available on Steam or their website) with my Taranis Plus.

I put in about 5 hours on the sim before getting my Hubsan X4 in the mail. Ended up removing the prop guards because I never really crashed it that hard.

The Taranis just needs a USB cable to plug into the computer. You'll have to setup a Simulator profile with the opentx companion. Here's a link to the profile that I use.

Note: I don't think my profile is optimal, so if anyone can take a look at it and see if I can make any improvements ... that would be awesome.

Awesome, I've heard good things about Aerofly.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Well I'll do up a new OP, pm me poo poo you want in it, I know jack about the DIY side of things, so stuff there would be nice. Also, new OP title? I'd just make it gently caress the FAA but that might not go over too well.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
I for one would like to learn a lot about heavyweight, long-endurance drones that are mostly battery that you could set to patrol over a fixed route and take a downward pointing photograph over fixed gps co-ordinates, and compare that to its previously taken photo, and send you an alarm if there are any significant differences.

Also has anyone tried powering a drone with a lawnmower engine on the same shaft as a car alternator?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Ahahahahahaha holy poo poo