Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

MrYenko posted:

Runaway diesels are the best when they're running on their own lube oil.

:stonklol:

Some can run backwards, too! The LDS-465 in a deuce and a half will very happily stall, and then start back up, running backwards, if you're not Johnny-on-the-spot clutching in when you start to roll backwards.

Everything works fine, running backwards. Except the oil pump. That doesn't turn.

:v:

My dad in law's 1956 JD 70 diesel will run backwards if you hit the fuel lever on the wrong stroke when starting it. They addressed that in later years by adding an appendage of some sort in the valvetrain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

IOwnCalculus posted:

Unless I'm way off here, that shouldn't change the fact that no matter how hard you try, you can't generate more than 1 atmosphere of pressure difference by just pulling a vacuum.

I can't square this in my head with footage of stuff/people being sucked into jet engines. :colbert:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Splizwarf posted:

I can't square this in my head with footage of stuff/people being sucked into jet engines. :colbert:

....bigger intake and more suction?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
"Car may need wheel bearing, sold as seen"

I was doing 80 on this. :gonk:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Splizwarf posted:

GE90 fan diameter: 123"
Approximate area of fan: 11,800 square inches
14.7 psi x 11,800 = 173,460 pounds of force if it were creating a perfect vacuum

InitialDave posted:

Jesus, why where you driving that?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Jesus, why where you driving that?
Because I didn't realise it was that bad, and I needed to get it the 100 miles home.

Swiber
Aug 18, 2004
Break pads are overrated.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

InitialDave posted:

Because I didn't realise it was that bad, and I needed to get it the 100 miles home.

What did you buy this time and which part of it did you buy it for?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cakefool posted:

What did you buy this time and which part of it did you buy it for?
VW Polo, for the (TDi) engine and related ancillary kit. Stripping & selling the other parts.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

InitialDave posted:

VW Polo, for the (TDi) engine and related ancillary kit. Stripping & selling the other parts.

I love those rims, I really wish I could afford OZ rims.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

InitialDave posted:

Hah, my Polo ate wheel bearings like they were candy because there was seemingly no torque spec for the retaining nut and I never managed to get the preload right.

What are you doing with the engine, is this for that mate with the Audi or do you have something else planned?

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

CommieGIR posted:

Same, even if they are kind of heavy (the Superturismos are, at any rate).

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CommieGIR posted:

If there's a way to get them shipped to you without it costing a fortune, PM me, I'd be happy with a hundred quid or so for them.

15" Superturismos, 4x100, I think they're maybe 37mm offset and 6.5" width?

jammyozzy posted:

What are you doing with the engine, is this for that mate with the Audi or do you have something else planned?
It's theoretically going to end up in one of my other cars at some point in the future, but I'm not going to jinx it (or paint myself into a corner) by saying which one! Right now it's just about getting measurements and bellhousing patterns, and working out what I need to do with the engine management, then it'll be crated up until such a time as I need it.

Terrible Robot posted:

Same, even if they are kind of heavy (the Superturismos are, at any rate).
Yeah, I think they're 18lbs or something according to the internet?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

InitialDave posted:

If there's a way to get them shipped to you without it costing a fortune, PM me, I'd be happy with a hundred quid or so for them.

Hell, where are you located?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CommieGIR posted:

Hell, where are you located?
I refer to currency in units of "quid", mate... :britain:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

InitialDave posted:

I refer to currency in units of "quid", mate... :britain:

Could mean Canada for all I know. ;)

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

InitialDave posted:

Were they particularly noisy on the freeway?

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.

Swiber posted:

Break pads are overrated.

This took a minute to realize what is going on. That's insane they drove it that long.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

related vid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6WDwsdH_A0

@2:30 is the best. lack of fire extinguishers and a crowd of spectators ready to catch the flaming car as it rolls back down the hillclimb at them.
@3:40 is just :kheldragar:

@1:35 what happens there? :pwn:

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Hey, I finally have something to contribute!

Too bad it's my wife's car. Transmission decided to poo poo the bed without any warning. I was on the phone with her last night as she was coming home, "Hey, the car's making a kind of funny noise?" "Well, bring it home and we'll look at it and see what's up." "....I'm in an intersection and it won't go." It wouldn't go into gear at all. Cut it off, cut it back on, and she managed to get it into gear and barely get it into a parking lot. Ended up getting it towed. Shifter cable and all that checked out. Fluid looked fine, as in it had fluid and as far as we could tell in the dark it was alright.

My awesome brothers-in-law popped the pan off while I was at work. They sent me this:

1/4" chunks of metal in the bottom of the pan. $2000 to fix - 800 for the transmission, 1200 in labor. Way more than the car, a 2001 Merc Sable (with a salvage title, no less), is worth.

Looks like we'll be trying to find us a new car soon... and of course these things always happen at the most convenient of times.

I can't say that I'm sad to see it go, though. I loving hated that car ever since my stepdad first got it; once we got it after my brother got into a minor wreck which somehow caused enough body damage to total it out it became nothing but a PITA to work on. DOHC engine in the world's tiniest engine bay. Took two people an entire afternoon to replace a belt tensioner. A/C went out and that's a whole bitch and a half to replace, so we hadn't done it yet and instead swapped a bypass pulley on it. Truly a majestic POS that, while it's pretty much the worst time for it to die, I can't really say I'm sad to see it go. Other than how difficult it's going to be to get a car.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
If you didn't like it, why did you put a ring on it?

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Seat Safety Switch posted:

:drat:

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Farking Bastage posted:

My dad in law's 1956 JD 70 diesel will run backwards if you hit the fuel lever on the wrong stroke when starting it. They addressed that in later years by adding an appendage of some sort in the valvetrain.

Man, that is awesome. I mean, how do you even tell when the right time to hit the fuel lever is? I suppose you'd get used to the sound of the stroke, but that's gotta be a weird trial and error learning curve.

[I'm sure everyone has seen this before but I can't resist reposting it]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AG1MnXkHhlM

It's perfect the way that you can see where the flywheel reverses and off it goes. If I was involved in this, I would be the guy in the suspiciously clean high-vis gear who scampers around at a safe distance, and then gets a back pat in once everything has been sorted out.

[with added music]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrAeUf7v49g

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Seat Safety Switch posted:

:vince:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Safety Dance posted:

I'm entering a crappy robot competition later this week. I'd say the potential for mechanical failure is quite high.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzs9qcKOKjs

That's a bike chain welded onto the shaft of a motor from an electric hand dryer that's been bolted into a crude steel frame.

It's actually pretty tame running through a variac at 50% power

Quoting this to say that I won. Casualties include:
- chunks of the Milwaukee guy's gearbox,
- a decent dent in the railroad spike portion of a railroad-spike-attached-to-an-RC-car-robot (that was subsequently thrown across the arena)
- a handful of LEGOs torn off of the LEGO Mindstorms robot (that was subsequently thrown across the arena)
- the driver of the railroad spike robot, who happened to be in the path of the flying legos.

Surprisingly, the chain didn't break, but the weld holding the chain to the motor spindle started to crack. I wouldn't trust the 'bot unless I rewelded that.

There will be a video, eventually.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jan 30, 2015

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Longinus00 posted:

Were they particularly noisy on the freeway?
Ohhh yeah.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Midjack posted:

@1:35 what happens there? :pwn:

My guess is a nitrous backfire. Either went so lean that it backfired, or they hit the NAWZ at too low of an RPM. Either way, you get a big boom. Big enough that usually the hood decides open is better than closed, and you're guaranteed to at least need most of the intake ducting (and MAF+MAP) replaced, if you're really lucky. Nitrous backfires are violent enough that they can easily split intake manifolds in half (not just plastic manifolds), and that's putting it mildly.

Another way to backfire on nitrous, at least on gas engines, is with a wet kit that's jetted wrong - you can get fuel puddling in the runners. My diesel knowledge is fairly limited compared to gas (and I have no personal experience with nitrous, aside from laughing at the aftermath of a backfire), but I think most diesel nitrous kits are dry, aren't they?

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jan 30, 2015

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Safety Dance posted:

Quoting this to say that I won.

Quoting this to say congrats!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Safety Dance posted:

- a decent dent in the railroad spike portion of a railroad-spike-attached-to-an-RC-car-robot (that was subsequently thrown across the arena)
- a handful of LEGOs torn off of the LEGO Mindstorms robot (that was subsequently thrown across the arena)
- the driver of the railroad spike robot, who happened to be in the path of the flying legos.

Surprisingly, the chain didn't break, but the weld holding the chain to the motor spindle started to crack. I wouldn't trust the 'bot unless I rewelded that.

This is great!

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Safety Dance posted:

Anyone watching robot combat who isn't behind a thick perspex screen is a loving idiot who's going to lose a limb sooner or later. Imagine if that weld had cracked a little bit more...

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

Someone took a Lego bot to bot wars? A soft plastic ABS toy up against railroad spikes and the chain of death? drat. . . Lego is cool and all but putting it in bot wars is just stupid.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Crotch Fruit posted:

Someone took a Lego bot to bot wars? A soft plastic ABS toy up against railroad spikes and the chain of death? drat. . . Lego is cool and all but putting it in bot wars is just stupid.

No, it's awesome if carnage is the mission.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Crotch Fruit posted:

LEGO is just reactive armor if you do it right. Absorb the impact by throwing off chunks of non-essential stuff. Of course when you do it wrong or some mad man brings a chain whip you throw essential parts.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Crotch Fruit posted:

She placed second. I think you're overestimating how good these robots were.

Wolfsbane posted:

Anyone watching robot combat who isn't behind a thick perspex screen is a loving idiot who's going to lose a limb sooner or later. Imagine if that weld had cracked a little bit more...

Most of the competitions were along the lines of "spinning pizza bagel robot vs weird machine that partially inflates a balloon". We're already discussing a real-deal mini-battle-bots with lexan and other protection.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Safety Dance posted:

Most of the competitions were along the lines of "spinning pizza bagel robot vs weird machine that partially inflates a balloon". We're already discussing a real-deal mini-battle-bots with lexan and other protection.

So like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46ivFpsmEVQ

Unreal Fantasy
Oct 18, 2004
put a new suspension on my winter beater FJ60. a month or so after this happened. hit a bump, heard a crack, then some dragging.

previous owner replaced a crossbeam with a lot of booger welding right on the replacement pluming pipes seam.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Yes, exactly.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
A little carnage from my wife's dad. Deere 447 Three point backhoe attachment Bent the main ram pretty bad. The Deere 4310 running it was unharmed

Broke the bucket shortly after putting the new ram on

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

QuarkMartial posted:

Hey, I finally have something to contribute!

Too bad it's my wife's car. Transmission decided to poo poo the bed without any warning. I was on the phone with her last night as she was coming home, "Hey, the car's making a kind of funny noise?" "Well, bring it home and we'll look at it and see what's up." "....I'm in an intersection and it won't go." It wouldn't go into gear at all. Cut it off, cut it back on, and she managed to get it into gear and barely get it into a parking lot. Ended up getting it towed. Shifter cable and all that checked out. Fluid looked fine, as in it had fluid and as far as we could tell in the dark it was alright.

My awesome brothers-in-law popped the pan off while I was at work. They sent me this:

1/4" chunks of metal in the bottom of the pan. $2000 to fix - 800 for the transmission, 1200 in labor. Way more than the car, a 2001 Merc Sable (with a salvage title, no less), is worth.

Looks like we'll be trying to find us a new car soon... and of course these things always happen at the most convenient of times.

I can't say that I'm sad to see it go, though. I loving hated that car ever since my stepdad first got it; once we got it after my brother got into a minor wreck which somehow caused enough body damage to total it out it became nothing but a PITA to work on. DOHC engine in the world's tiniest engine bay. Took two people an entire afternoon to replace a belt tensioner. A/C went out and that's a whole bitch and a half to replace, so we hadn't done it yet and instead swapped a bypass pulley on it. Truly a majestic POS that, while it's pretty much the worst time for it to die, I can't really say I'm sad to see it go. Other than how difficult it's going to be to get a car.

Do you know if this was an AX4S or an AX4N? A Sable is basically a Ford Taurus in a pretty frock. Taurus transmissions are terrible:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_AXOD_transmission#Reliability_issues

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Vanagoon posted:

Do you know if this was an AX4S or an AX4N? A Sable is basically a Ford Taurus in a pretty frock. Taurus transmissions are terrible:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_AXOD_transmission#Reliability_issues

I think AXN. Will Ford give me a chunk of change for it?