Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Hypocrisy posted:

Charlie episodes have gotten really...not good.

I wonder why the meta episodes have actually stayed pretty good but the Charlie episodes haven't.

Only one Charlie episode has been good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Hypocrisy posted:

I wonder why the meta episodes have actually stayed pretty good but the Charlie episodes haven't.

My first thought when I saw Dark Charlie was "jesus who did she blow to get this written" which is pretty hosed up, but based on how they keep bringing her back I can only guess someone high up on the show really likes her and just makes sure she gets parts where she gets to be a big hero who saves the day(ish). It doesn't help that the internet loves her and thinks her "adorkable" acting is in anyway noteworthy or good. The loving IGN review looks like it was written by a 15 year old fanfic author.

Her introduction episode was a big deal because internet famous nerd girl gets a part got the show a lot of free press, and have her play herself basically was tolerable, but then the Larp episode, the Oz episode(and her tragic backstory), and this is nothing but garbage with very little in the episodes to redeem them.

The meta episodes on the other hand seem to be a concentrated effort by everyone working on the show to have a blast mocking their own fans, which probably adds to the quality.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
Anyone catch that Sam introduces himself as Special Agent Gabriel in this episode? That can't be a coincidence.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Ravane posted:

Anyone catch that Sam introduces himself as Special Agent Gabriel in this episode? That can't be a coincidence.

Weren't you in a month timeout?

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Ravane posted:

Dean introduces himself as Agent Collins, as in Peter Gabriel and Phil Collins

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Eh, I'm in the minority on this one cause I kinda liked the show.

It had Dean realizing "Holy poo poo I need help" after kicking the poo poo out of Charlie, it had Sam have the idea of "Oh poo poo let's go get Cain".

Charlie also kinda had a better character arc and she's really the only "family" left besides Cas and the Sheriff as far as people who care if they live/die. Also it really really helped there wasn't any sort of internet lingo bullshit in the script for her to babble off.

Also, kinda liked the idea of how they had the bad one show up and it didn't involve possession or PTSD.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Hypocrisy posted:

Charlie episodes have never been that good.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Charlie isn't really a character, she's just an Internet persona slapped on screen.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Charlie also kinda had a better character arc and she's really the only "family".

She's had like a couple of shite episodes and is not "family" despite acting and the show going along with the idea that she is.

This is why her character is instantly annoying because she gets shoehorned in as this important character who acts and talks like she's some big important role in the story when she's really just a lovely "fan".

Pre apocalypse supernatural would have dealt with her like the annoyance she is. Post apocalypse desperate for fans in place of good story have treated her like royalty.

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

Kin posted:

She's had like a couple of shite episodes and is not "family" despite acting and the show going along with the idea that she is.

This is why her character is instantly annoying because she gets shoehorned in as this important character who acts and talks like she's some big important role in the story when she's really just a lovely "fan".

Pre apocalypse supernatural would have dealt with her like the annoyance she is. Post apocalypse desperate for fans in place of good story have treated her like royalty.

I agree with all of this, unless it's implying there was a non-poo poo Charlie episode. I suppose it's possible this one didn't suck, but I'm not taking that risk.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

hangedman1984 posted:

Dean introduces himself as Agent Collins, as in Peter Gabriel and Phil Collins

:confused: 80's rock band members I guess? Guess there wasn't a connection to the angel then.

Boogaleeboo posted:

Weren't you in a month timeout?

From Couch Chat, not from any other thread. You guys need to stop being obsessed with my every action, I'm not your God. Though if you really want to revere me like one, I wouldn't mind some getting some gifts. :)

raditts posted:

Charlie episodes have never been that good.

They haven't, though if you say this anywhere outside of SA, you'll be accused of misogyny.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Eh, I'm in the minority on this one cause I kinda liked the show.

It had Dean realizing "Holy poo poo I need help" after kicking the poo poo out of Charlie, it had Sam have the idea of "Oh poo poo let's go get Cain".

Charlie also kinda had a better character arc and she's really the only "family" left besides Cas and the Sheriff as far as people who care if they live/die. Also it really really helped there wasn't any sort of internet lingo bullshit in the script for her to babble off.

Also, kinda liked the idea of how they had the bad one show up and it didn't involve possession or PTSD.

Dean had already had that realization last episode though, and going after Cain should have been the first thing they thought of. I mean, they only know of one guy who got rid of it before, why wouldn't you go ask him how he did it?

I'm pretty indifferent about Charlie's character - I don't particularly like her "~so wacky~" internet personality, but episodes with her bother me more because to me the things they are fighting in episodes with her in it seem more out of place than most of the stuff they usually deal with. The fairy episode wasn't bad, but I really hope they never mention Oz again.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

pentyne posted:

It doesn't help that the internet loves her and thinks her "adorkable" acting is in anyway noteworthy or good.

Felicia Day seems like the female Wil Wheaton to me; A mildly obnoxious nerd who is famous and popular for some inexplicable reason. :iiam:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Murphy Brownback posted:

Dean had already had that realization last episode though, and going after Cain should have been the first thing they thought of. I mean, they only know of one guy who got rid of it before, why wouldn't you go ask him how he did it?

To be fair, the answer to how he got rid of it was "giving it to Dean."

Ravane posted:

:confused: 80's rock band members I guess? Guess there wasn't a connection to the angel then.

Do you have to do this poo poo outside of Couch Chat as well? Really?

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009

raditts posted:

Well not that it's a simple matter in and of itself, but at least then they are back to the status quo, and all they have to do is build up their armament (Supernatural is a documentary about the arms race during the cold war, right?) until they can ice whoever they give the Mark to. The Men of Letters might not have lore about removing the Mark, but what are the odds they have some lore on removing it's host?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Cain still has the mark. The whole "let's go get Cain" is to see how he's managed to get the whole "gotta kill fast" thing under control.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

raditts posted:

Do you have to do this poo poo outside of Couch Chat as well? Really?

At least I googled them. I don't really know who they are. Do you have to complain every time someone younger than you doesn't know something about the generation you lived in? I can tell you many facts about Justin Beiber, bub, don't hesitate to ask me.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Ravane posted:

At least I googled them. I don't really know who they are. Do you have to complain every time someone younger than you doesn't know something about the generation you lived in? I can tell you many facts about Justin Beiber, bub, don't hesitate to ask me.

You young whippersnappers today! Why in MY day when we wanted to kill demons we had to walk 15 MILES in the snow...barefoot...uphill...both ways...chased by wolves!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Peter Gabriel and Phil Collins are both significant in the history of music, they just aren't members of some band that was popular in the 80's. They both went on to do some really important work after they left the band.

If you're just not into music that's fine but if you are then it should be embarrassing to not know who these guys are.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Its also not like they have a history of using rock stars names as alias.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Don't encourage Ravane, this is his "thing."

Ravane posted:

I'm complaining because you're doing the same dumbshit schtick as in Couch Chat where you pretend you don't know who incredibly famous people are or the basic running gags in a show you allegedly watch, only you're not doing it there because everyone got so tired of your rear end that you're not allowed to be there. Now please cut it the gently caress out.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Basebf555 posted:

Peter Gabriel and Phil Collins are both significant in the history of music, they just aren't members of some band that was popular in the 80's. They both went on to do some really important work after they left the band.

If you're just not into music that's fine but if you are then it should be embarrassing to not know who these guys are.

As far as rock goes, I'm not really a big fan. Though I've heard the name Phil Collins before, but I wouldn't know any songs he wrote and things he did. I'm sure I've heard Genesis songs before on the radio or something, but I wouldn't be able to identify them unless I actually looked them up.

raditts posted:

Don't encourage Ravane, this is his "thing."

I'm complaining because you're doing the same dumbshit schtick as in Couch Chat where you pretend you don't know who incredibly famous people are or the basic running gags in a show you allegedly watch, only you're not doing it there because everyone got so tired of your rear end that you're not allowed to be there. Now please cut it the gently caress out.

I'm going to take this comment seriously and reply to you seriously. I don't know how old you are, I don't know where you come from. But the popular culture that you were exposed to is not at all the same as what I was exposed to. I came to America when I was six, with a family that barely spoke English. I grew up watching 90's and 00's cartoons. I only watched movies that were out in theaters. My parents didn't get dvds of old american movies, they got dvds of old hindi movies. I grew up in a primarily Indian/Asian community. Also, I spent my childhood doing martial arts and biking, not watching old tv and movies, excuse me for not being another statistic for obesity.

Now I trolled about not knowing Oscar Schindler was a real person and that was hilarious. And I trolled about Hitchcock, though I actually hadn't seen Psycho at the time, that part was true. And I did watch it, it was good, I agree. Still hilarious.

Everything after that is 100% true. I haven't seen X-files, I haven't seen Pulp Fiction, I haven't seen Mad Max. Most anything before the 80's, with the exception of 2001: A Space Odyssey, I haven't seen. My favorite music is chillstep, I also like Indie. Recently I've been listening to a lot of jazz including Frank Sinatra's classic hits. But I don't listen to Rock. Not a fan of the beatles. Not a fan of Aerosmith or AC/DC. I know the bands, but not the music or the band members.

Now if you still think I'm trolling, it's your problem, not mine. I would never have guessed that their FBI names are of rock band members, I just assumed they were random names, now I know better. I watch the show because Dean and Castiel are sexy. This is an internet forum, don't get so uptight, buddy. Are we good now?

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Ravane posted:

As far as rock goes, I'm not really a big fan. Though I've heard the name Phil Collins before, but I wouldn't know any songs he wrote and things he did.

I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, "Duke." Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. It was too artsy, too intellectual.

It was on "Duke" where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think "Invisible Touch" is the groups' undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Xealot posted:

I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, "Duke." Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. It was too artsy, too intellectual.

It was on "Duke" where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think "Invisible Touch" is the groups' undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums.

Yes, but what are your thoughts on Huey Lewis and the News?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

cool kids inc. posted:

Early stuff was too new wav for my taste

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

cool kids inc. posted:

It's hip to be square.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

raditts posted:

Right, but I was thinking more along the lines of describing the process of giving it to Dean, so Dean could give it to somebody else and kill them or whatever. If Cain still has the mark like another poster said, that information wouldn't be very useful though, but I thought the mark faded from Cain's arm when it went to Dean's. I'm probably just misremembering the scene though.

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame

Murphy Brownback posted:

Right, but I was thinking more along the lines of describing the process of giving it to Dean, so Dean could give it to somebody else and kill them or whatever. If Cain still has the mark like another poster said, that information wouldn't be very useful though, but I thought the mark faded from Cain's arm when it went to Dean's. I'm probably just misremembering the scene though.

They don't show it clearly, but after Cain gives the mark to Dean, Cain rolls up his sleeves (before slaughtering a demon army), and the bottom of his mark is clearly still there.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Murphy Brownback posted:

I thought I remembered it the same. It's on Netflix though so it's easy to go back and check.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Imasalmon posted:

They don't show it clearly, but after Cain gives the mark to Dean, Cain rolls up his sleeves (before slaughtering a demon army), and the bottom of his mark is clearly still there.

Could be a effects hiccup, as in he still had the makeup on his arm???

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

hangedman1984 posted:

Could be a effects hiccup, as in he still had the makeup on his arm???

No, they're better than that.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I think the mark is more of a blessing/curse kind of thing than an actual physical thing you get.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

I think the mark is more of a blessing/curse kind of thing than an actual physical thing you get.

Can Dean even die with the mark? Cain couldn't die because he was blessed by god that his enemies couldn't kill him. My bible knowledge isn't high, I'm a muslim. Speaking of, they need to diversify their religious portfolio.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Ravane posted:

Can Dean even die with the mark? Cain couldn't die because he was blessed by god that his enemies couldn't kill him.

People can't kill Cain because God will punish them for it, not because it's literally impossible.

Genesis 4 (KJV) posted:

11 And now art thou cursed from the earth, which hath opened her mouth to receive thy brother's blood from thy hand;

12 When thou tillest the ground, it shall not henceforth yield unto thee her strength; a fugitive and a vagabond shalt thou be in the earth.

13 And Cain said unto the Lord, My punishment is greater than I can bear.

14 Behold, thou hast driven me out this day from the face of the earth; and from thy face shall I be hid; and I shall be a fugitive and a vagabond in the earth; and it shall come to pass, that every one that findeth me shall slay me.

15 And the Lord said unto him, Therefore whosoever slayeth Cain, vengeance shall be taken on him sevenfold. And the Lord set a mark upon Cain, lest any finding him should kill him.

That's the Bible version though, so who knows how it works in Supernatural?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The way I understand it in Supernatural, he was given the mark by Lucifer and became a knight of hell. He killed himself (with the first blade?), but came back as a demon. He's currently just the last living knight of hell.

Lucifer was trying to trick Abel, and Cain opted to take the fall so his brother wouldn't end up being bound to hell.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Tiggum posted:

People can't kill Cain because God will punish them for it, not because it's literally impossible.

That's the Bible version though, so who knows how it works in Supernatural?

From what we've seen, if you die with the Mark you become a demon inhabiting your own body. Abbadon could only be killed by the First Blade, presumably Cain is at least as strong as Abbadon, so he can only be permakilled with the First Blade or similar.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

Cain's stipulation for giving Dean the mark was that one day Dean uses the first blade to kill him.

|Ziggy|
Oct 2, 2004

Shroomie posted:

Cain's stipulation for giving Dean the mark was that one day Dean uses the first blade to kill him.

Didn't their cryptic 'answer' to getting rid of the mark say something about making a roundabout and getting back to the beginning? I don't remember it exactly, but it sounded like if Dean just went and killed Cain, mark is gone and problem solved. Too bad they're too stupid to just go and ask or follow through with their deal...you'd think that would've been the first thing Dean did since he likes offing monsters so much.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

|Ziggy| posted:

Didn't their cryptic 'answer' to getting rid of the mark say something about making a roundabout and getting back to the beginning? I don't remember it exactly, but it sounded like if Dean just went and killed Cain, mark is gone and problem solved. Too bad they're too stupid to just go and ask or follow through with their deal...you'd think that would've been the first thing Dean did since he likes offing monsters so much.

"The river ends at the source". It's obvious that only Cain can remove the Mark.

Meanwhile, I think the show has already used its entire props budget and the writer needs strangling for his shoddy research. The Book of the Damned is not some fabled book of lore the only known extant copy of which is blah blah blah - it's one of Charles Fort's seminal chronicles of weird poo poo, you can get the Kindle edition for free on Amazon, and the sheet Sam was holding is literally a public library catalogue entry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Jedit posted:

"The river ends at the source". It's obvious that only Cain can remove the Mark.

He probably won't. The whole idea is it's Cain's chance to be free from his existence and make someone else bear the burden. Cain did say he managed to keep the mark under control for centuries after he went pacifistic and married the woman he loved.