Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

dpbjinc posted:

Nobody cares when 20- to 50-year-old humans get mistreated in fiction, regardless of gender. If you so much as touch a friendly dog, or even a robot, God help you.
There was a pretty hilarious argument in Cine D about one of the shorts in V/H/S 2.

You can have an endless cavalcade of human misery including a man cutting out his own eye, then having it force-fed to him and the internet doesn't give a poo poo, but may god help you if a dog is badly injured.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

There was a pretty hilarious argument in Cine D about one of the shorts in V/H/S 2.

You can have an endless cavalcade of human misery including a man cutting out his own eye, then having it force-fed to him and the internet doesn't give a poo poo, but may god help you if a dog is badly injured.

It was heavily implied the guy sort of deserved it.. Also, the short was kind of bad, so its understandable people why people wouldn't give a poo poo.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Wasn't Hetalia originally made as a parody? I remember reading somewhere that the creator said "I'm going to make the most offensive and ridiculous thing I can, and there's no way people will miss the gag" then everybody missed the gag and he was kinda just rolling in money at that point so he kept going with it.
The creator really knows his/her history, so I wouldn't be surprised. But also it's anime, and poo poo like Girls und Panzer exists, so I'd wanna see a source before I believe it.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

IShallRiseAgain posted:

It was heavily implied the guy sort of deserved it..

Okay he was kind of an idiot but just how did he deserve it?

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

IShallRiseAgain posted:

It was heavily implied the guy sort of deserved it.. Also, the short was kind of bad, so its understandable people why people wouldn't give a poo poo.
That was just one example. Those movies have a higher bodycount than the Civil War, most of the deaths are pretty horrible and a good number of the victims didn't deserve it. Flipping out and calling it THE WORST MOVIE EVER over one dog kinda misses the forest for the blood-soaked trees. But whatever, let's not carry this derail any further.

During the Iraq War, a lot of New Zealanders started boycotting American products in protest. This led to a lot of companies removing "American" from the names of their products, and KFC temporarily rebranding itself as "Kiwi For Chicken!"

Now that we're buddy-buddy with the US again, they're all trying to pretend it never happened. Even google can't dredge up a single relevant "Kiwi For Chicken!" result, but it was everywhere at the time. It must have cost them millions in advertising.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Tracula posted:

It's why we apparently need a website for it even. https://www.doesthedogdie.com/

My life is complete, now that I have a site that can inform me that, yes, a dog does indeed go to heaven in the movie titled All Dogs Go to Heaven.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

The creator really knows his/her history, so I wouldn't be surprised. But also it's anime, and poo poo like Girls und Panzer exists, so I'd wanna see a source before I believe it.

Thing is, Hetalia actively takes WW2 and uses it as cutesy entertainment, while Girls und Panzer is just a sports anime, where the sport is tank combat.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

Tracula posted:

It's why we apparently need a website for it even. https://www.doesthedogdie.com/

Who needs a website when people will quite readily tell you about it on the street?

Edit: whoop wrong quote

Doctor Bishop has a new favorite as of 07:49 on Jan 29, 2015

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Tracula posted:

Although I think they're rather severely downplaying what actually happened in this film: https://www.doesthedogdie.com/78935

I feel like Does the Dog Die could be a really great website if it were a bit more tongue-in-cheek, and they wouldn't have to betray their mission statement or whatever to do it. As it stands, it's just a boring collection of lists where the dry, binary "yes or no" qualifiers are occasionally funny.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I feel like Does the Dog Die could be a really great website if it were a bit more tongue-in-cheek, and they wouldn't have to betray their mission statement or whatever to do it. As it stands, it's just a boring collection of lists where the dry, binary "yes or no" qualifiers are occasionally funny.

I saw this on their website and really have to agree. It's pretty weird and dull:

quote:

Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)
As part of a game, two small lizards are caught and eaten by larger lizards. No harm comes to Rocket, the anthropomorphic raccoon. A dog appears briefly in a few scenes; at one point it appears as though it might've died in an explosion but it is seen alive a few moments later.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

During the Iraq War, a lot of New Zealanders started boycotting American products in protest. This led to a lot of companies removing "American" from the names of their products, and KFC temporarily rebranding itself as "Kiwi For Chicken!"

Now that we're buddy-buddy with the US again, they're all trying to pretend it never happened. Even google can't dredge up a single relevant "Kiwi For Chicken!" result, but it was everywhere at the time. It must have cost them millions in advertising.

I don't remember anything about a mass boycott of American products but companies like KFC are constantly changing their slogans and advertising campaigns, so I don't think it would have been a particular loss for them if they're constantly spending money on advertising anyway. It was just another in a long line of campaigns so I don't see why there would be anything about it on the internet now. Having said that it was kinda dumb I guess.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Some years ago Fedex bought Kinkos.

A few years back they rebranded FedexKinkos to FedexOffice, because gods know there isn't enough stores with the word Office in the name. People associate copies with Kinkos.

Cue every loving store in the US getting new sign packs, after the Office rebrand, and a ton of smaller ads that read KINKOS INSIDE.

The average store had FEDEXOFFICE in large signage, but nearly as large on every window were stickers reading KINKOS INSIDE.

And people still don't know if FedexOffice does copies.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Okay he was kind of an idiot but just how did he deserve it?

The movie strongly suggested he got in a car accident and killed a little girl and her father. Its why he lost his eye in the first place.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Zero One posted:

Go daddy miscalculated how much people care about fictional TV puppies: http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/01/godaddy-super-bowl-commercial-puppy

So I have to question this. If facebook is to be believed, this ad is no longer going to run during the superbowl (and won't run after either)

But Go Daddy already paid for the airtime, so are they just going to throw in last year's commercial or have they been scrambling to make a quickie commercial in the meantime?

EDIT: From what I'm reading here, Go Daddy didn't buy a superbowl spot and just released this online instead? If so, that's loving brilliant and doesn't deserve to be in this thread.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
They say they're going to run a different ad instead, but haven;t said what it is.

I guess it's bought them a lot of publicity, but maybe not the sort they want.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I don't get the GoDaddy controversy. I thought it was kind of ironically funny the way it ended.

Why are people upset about it again? Its not like the van said GLUE factory or DOG RACING or anything like that. I'm a bit confused.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm 99% sure that they made this ad, knew people would get mad, and had another ad waiting in case they wanted to pull this one

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

Jastiger posted:

I don't get the GoDaddy controversy. I thought it was kind of ironically funny the way it ended.

Why are people upset about it again? Its not like the van said GLUE factory or DOG RACING or anything like that. I'm a bit confused.

When I just heard about it I expected it to come off a lot harsher than it did. Humanizing a defenseless little animal and then having that person just treat them as a thing to be bought and sold is usually how you establish a villain.

The ad doesn't really come off that way to me but maybe people are just responding to the idea?

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
Go Daddy actually pulled this trick for their first Super Bowl ad - they made one ad that was deliberately unfit to air and a second ad that would air playing upon the "controversy" of the first.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

That was just one example. Those movies have a higher bodycount than the Civil War, most of the deaths are pretty horrible and a good number of the victims didn't deserve it. Flipping out and calling it THE WORST MOVIE EVER over one dog kinda misses the forest for the blood-soaked trees. But whatever, let's not carry this derail any further.

http://cargocollective.com/jamesbowman/KFC-Kiwi-For-Chicken

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Go Daddy actually pulled this trick for their first Super Bowl ad - they made one ad that was deliberately unfit to air and a second ad that would air playing upon the "controversy" of the first.

And "find the banned super bowl ad online"

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Jastiger posted:

The ASPCA got mad about puppy mills if I remember correctly. Since puppy mills are nightmares, and you're shipping dogs across the country, etc etc

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Jastiger posted:

Nobody's actually upset by it, the whole thing was astroturfing to get free publicity by having a "banned" commercial that people could be indignant about and you totally fell for it.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

dpbjinc posted:

My life is complete, now that I have a site that can inform me that, yes, a dog does indeed go to heaven in the movie titled All Dogs Go to Heaven.
An old friend of mine thought Amores Perros translated to Puppy Love, and decided it would be a romantic comedy. You know, with dogs.

This site would have saved him a lot of time. Although it wouldn't have been nearly as funny watching it with him.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Sleeveless posted:

Nobody's actually upset by it, the whole thing was astroturfing to get free publicity by having a "banned" commercial that people could be indignant about and you totally fell for it.

I fall for nothing!

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

hyperhazard posted:

An old friend of mine thought Amores Perros translated to Puppy Love, and decided it would be a romantic comedy. You know, with dogs.

This site would have saved him a lot of time. Although it wouldn't have been nearly as funny watching it with him.

I watched it with a vegan girlfriend, but I think she already saw it or something so no "hilarity".

Real good film despite... stuff (constant scenes of dogfighting).

aerion111
Nov 29, 2011

Prodigy of Curiosity.
Master of Jacks.
Apprentice of Masks.
And, when fighting the forces of darkness, always remember: "Armor of Darkness, Weapon of Light"

Evilreaver posted:

The ASPCA got mad about puppy mills if I remember correctly. Since puppy mills are nightmares, and you're shipping dogs across the country, etc etc

How is it a puppy mill from just selling one dog, though?
Like, I've literally never seen any dogs that were free - I'm pretty sure even the local shelters charge a fee - and owners of female dogs of particularly desired breeds tend to consider the ability to sell the puppies as one of the 'perks' of the breed.

In other words: It's sad that the family didn't want the dog themselves, but unless they gave it to a friend or relative, they would charge whoever adopted it.

It's not like it's a cat.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
The idea is that since you save a dog's life when you adopt it from the shelter, if you get a dog some other way, you are basically killing that shelter dog you could have had. You monster.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Evilreaver posted:

I've always wondered how much :10bux: the ASPCA spends on commercials when they could be putting that money towards actually helping animals and the like.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Tracula posted:

I've always wondered how much :10bux: the ASPCA spends on commercials when they could be putting that money towards actually helping animals and the like.

I'm not sure but I'm sure they're better than loving PETA.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
When Coke was first available in China, no one really got the idea to actually try and keep the chinese translation the same between here and there so everyone was on the same page, which meant a lot of stores were having signs up saying COCA COLA with various characters for the KO, KA and LA sounds.

This led to a lot of stores offering Coke as "Bite the wax tadpole" or "Lady horse fastened with wax" before Coke got the official word out to use the symbols they chose, which mean "To allow the mouth to be able to rejoice".

They kinda owned up to it and used the mistranslations in ads for a while though, so it wasn't an entire failure.

Pepsi had the whole mistranslation that took "Come alive with Pepsi!" being made into "Pepsi will bring the dead to life".

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

HopperUK posted:

The idea is that since you save a dog's life when you adopt it from the shelter, if you get a dog some other way, you are basically killing that shelter dog you could have had. You monster.

aerion111 posted:

Like, I've literally never seen any dogs that were free - I'm pretty sure even the local shelters charge a fee - and owners of female dogs of particularly desired breeds tend to consider the ability to sell the puppies as one of the 'perks' of the breed.

In other words: It's sad that the family didn't want the dog themselves, but unless they gave it to a friend or relative, they would charge whoever adopted it.

It's not like it's a cat.

By puppy mill, I think they're saying the website that was made is similar to a mall pet store. The ones where the dogs are bred like cattle and produce malnourished and weaker puppies for the sake of selling them. Maybe, I have no idea. The commercial seemed fine to me.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Pepsi had the whole mistranslation that took "Come alive with Pepsi!" being made into "Pepsi will bring the dead to life".

12 weird tricks you can do with a can of pepsi that they don't want you to know

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

When Coke was first available in China, no one really got the idea to actually try and keep the chinese translation the same between here and there so everyone was on the same page, which meant a lot of stores were having signs up saying COCA COLA with various characters for the KO, KA and LA sounds.

This led to a lot of stores offering Coke as "Bite the wax tadpole" or "Lady horse fastened with wax" before Coke got the official word out to use the symbols they chose, which mean "To allow the mouth to be able to rejoice".

They kinda owned up to it and used the mistranslations in ads for a while though, so it wasn't an entire failure.

Uh, really? I've been reading these bullshit stories since 1996 and there's no proof behind any of them.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Mescal posted:

Uh, really? I've been reading these bullshit stories since 1996 and there's no proof behind any of them.

But Snopes.com says the Coke story is PARTLY TRUE! Is Snopes still treated as a reliable source? Was it ever? I dunno! I'm a huge piece of poo poo!

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Yeah, it's total bullshit. The sign in question actually said 蝌蝌啃蠟, which translates more accurately to 'The tadpole chews wax.'

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

On top of this whole thing being of tenuous truth, Mandarin doesn't have a "ko" sound

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

aerion111 posted:

They sold the dog across the country on a dog-selling website, transported via dog-branded van

E: Maybe they really hated that loving dog

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If a spot is banned you will not be seeing it anytime soon. For instance, I worked at an agency that received a formal letter from NBC saying they in no uncertain terms would not air the spot the agency created. Good luck finding a single shred of footage from that thing online.

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe

FreeMars posted:

What always bothers me is when I'm watching cable and I have to sit through ads for my cable company. It's like trying to sell me a sandwich that I'm already trying to eat.

This is from a long time ago. As far as I understand, this is how it works (someone correct me if I'm wrong):
Your cable company will buy a whole bunch of channels from another company who actually runs the channels. The channel companies will provide the cable companies with the stream, but also with data about when advert spaces are going to run. The cable company should cut over to ads at those times, but if they don't the original stream will probably advertise other channels that are run by the same channel company. Because the channel companies expect the cable companies to cut over, those can be dreadfully repetitive, as in the same 5 ads every single break. So, instead of that happening, if the cable provider can't sell enough ad space, or are too lazy to bother, they're just going to fill it with their own stuff, even if it's not all that meaningful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swims
May 5, 2014

Waiter, this band keeps shooting pearls at me.

hyperhazard posted:

I hate to hate, but that's either some legitimate stdh or your friend is gay.