Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, I never really watched the reruns anyway. I'm more relieved that they didn't just cancel the block outright and that the new stuff is still doing good enough to keep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I'm usually up to 2:30 or 3 anyway so this doesn't really affect me

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, I never really watched the reruns anyway. I'm more relieved that they didn't just cancel the block outright and that the new stuff is still doing good enough to keep.

Yeah, at least they're keeping the new stuff. Sucks for people who were watching the reruns though. I couldn't bother to keep myself awake watching old stuff anyway.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
It's kinda poo poo, that said it ending at 3:30 is especially awkward, I kinda think they should at least give Toonami until 4 or something.

Or give DBZ the 11:00 slot and end at 3, whatever

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Hace posted:

I know people like DBZ, but what a lovely way to start the block off in 2015.

Yeah, does DBZ actually get numbers? I know it was requested like crazy back when the block was relaunched, but let's be real, those were people high on nostalgia who didn't actually want to sit through Namek again, even if it was all remastered and had the fat trimmed out.

Anyway, rehashing the old isn't a good way to start, imo. Maybe it's a better shift than AoT reruns but really I don't see it doing that much better.

edit: I did realize the silver lining of this is that our long national nightmare is over and Bleach is finally off the air.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jan 28, 2015

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

From what I've heard, DBZ outperformed Family Guy last week.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

TwoPair posted:

Yeah, does DBZ actually get numbers? I know it was requested like crazy back when the block was relaunched, but let's be real, those were people high on nostalgia who didn't actually want to sit through Namek again, even if it was all remastered and had the fat trimmed out.

Anyway, rehashing the old isn't a good way to start, imo. Maybe it's a better shift than AoT reruns but really I don't see it doing that much better.
DBZ Kai usually pulls in ~1,000,000 viewers in a post-AOT slot.
How does it do leading the block?

Dragon Ball Z Kai 1,321,000
Naruto Shippuden 1,000,000
InuYasha The Final Act 865,000
One Piece 858,000
Gurren Lagann 747,000
Deadman Wonderland 733,000

You said it yourself:

TwoPair posted:

Look we all know what Dragon Ball Z is, let's not bullshit around. You can talk all about how much you hate anime, (and you may actually hate anime) but everyone knows what DBZ is so I'm not going to explain it.
Everybody knows what DBZ is. Everybody loving loves DBZ, because it's goddamn DBZ. Running home to watch DBZ on Toonami after school was a childhood experience to a huge goddamn chunk of 90's kids (myself included). That nostalgia is still riding strong as hell, and it translates into ratings.

Besides, DBZ is the original Shounen, and it's a legitimately entertaining show, especially since Kai cuts out a lot of the boring filler. (Although I personally think they cut a little bit too much out of Goku's training with King Kai; I mean goddamn we didn't even get to watch him learn the Kaio-Ken in an episode, we saw it in a loving recap.)

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Wer ist bereit zu tanzen?

Waffleman_ posted:

Man the lifeboats

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

fade5 posted:

One Piece 858,000
Gurren Lagann 747,000

You said it yourself:

Everybody knows what DBZ is. Everybody loving loves DBZ, because it's goddamn DBZ. Running home to watch DBZ on Toonami after school was a childhood experience to a huge goddamn chunk of 90's kids (myself included). That nostalgia is still riding strong as hell, and it translates into ratings.

Besides, DBZ is the original Shounen, and it's a legitimately entertaining show, especially since Kai cuts out a lot of the boring filler. (Although I personally think they cut a little bit too much out of Goku's training with King Kai; I mean goddamn we didn't even get to watch him learn the Kaio-Ken in an episode, we saw it in a loving recap.)

They definitely cut too much. They cut out the driver's test episode.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Hace posted:

Like seriously, as much as I don't like KLK, it's at least it's something new. Why would they bother paying out the rear end for it's license if they can't start with it?

How much could that license possibly cost? Where else would they air it? Is it just a case of Toonami's budget being peanuts and string?

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

icantfindaname posted:

How much could that license possibly cost? Where else would they air it? Is it just a case of Toonami's budget being peanuts and string?

It's Aniplex, so my instinct is that it's probably not cheap, but to be honest I have no idea how much it might compared to like a Funi dub.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

fade5 posted:

One Piece 858,000
Gurren Lagann 747,000

Well don't I look dumb, that's a hell of a lot better than I figured it'd be doing. Also I'm really surprised to see as much of a drop between Naruto and Inuyasha as there is, seeing as Inuyasha was such a draw back in the day. But then again The Final Act's plot (or lack thereof) is kind of a total clusterfuck so I guess I do kind of get it.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Bebop being gone, besides that small stint where the rights went from Bandai to Funi, is a hell of a sour note.

Granted, that's the same show running the 26 episdoes for over 10 years but like I've said, it was to [Adult Swim] what DBZ was to OG Toonami.

TwoPair posted:

Well don't I look dumb, that's a hell of a lot better than I figured it'd be doing. Also I'm really surprised to see as much of a drop between Naruto and Inuyasha as there is, seeing as Inuyasha was such a draw back in the day. But then again The Final Act's plot (or lack thereof) is kind of a total clusterfuck so I guess I do kind of get it.
Viz dragging their feet on allowing [AS] to air it certainly didn't help affairs.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Jan 28, 2015

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I wonder how bad the ratings could have been for those dead of night slots because they couldn't have had that high of expectations for them.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
It could be something else like CN or WS trying to hoist something the Toonami Brass didn't want on the block

For example, I could see them trying to punt all of Ben 10 on there the same way IGPX, Beware The Batman and Thundercats were on there. Only thing being that Ben 10 all said clocks in at an arse destroying 230 episodes which would mean having that on there for Five Years (4.4, technically speaking but between movies and the like it would be five) and when they said no CN/WS told them to drop the rerun block.

Course that is all very tinfoil hat sort of theory, for all we know, the ratings just didn't support the price of the shows being rerun (was CN's Bandai Bebop contract anulled when Funi took the reigns, for example?)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't know where the hell you got such a specific idea, but I'm nearly 100% sure that's not what happened. For one, Ben 10 is a show for babies with very little periphery demographic to take advantage of on Adult Swim. It'd be like putting Ninjago on the block.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Like I said, it's only Tinfoil guessing given how the 3.30 - 6.00 slot isn't that coveted ratings wise.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jan 28, 2015

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

TwoPair posted:

That's about what's expected actually; ratings drops are sort of built into the block since people start going to bed after [x] show is over. I'm more shocked at the Gurren Lagann drop; I can understand Deadman Wonderland not pulling in high ratings because it's a late-night rerun (although it's doing fairly well even so, and it did only have one showing on Toonami), but there's a lot of people who just tune out after One Piece.

InuYasha's actually doing really good ratings-wise; it was pulling in good ratings even at 2AM, and that's why it got pushed earlier up in the time slots. Inuyasha is sorta like DBZ in the ratings, it gets views just because it's goddamn Inuyasha. OG Inuyasha regularly pulled 600,000-700,000 viewers when it was airing in the 5 AM death slot (compared to the usual ~500,000 of everything else that's aired there). Hell, in one fluke week of June 8, 2013 it pulled this:

5:00 AM Inuyasha 914,000
5:30 AM Inuyasha 866,000
:stare:

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Reruns of Bebop and Dandy tended to be where I ended Toonami for myself every week. It's a shame, it made for a great hour of tv to end with.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

fade5 posted:

That's about what's expected actually; ratings drops are sort of built into the block since people start going to bed after [x] show is over. I'm more shocked at the Gurren Lagann drop; I can understand Deadman Wonderland not pulling in high ratings because it's a late-night rerun (although it's doing fairly well even so, and it did only have one showing on Toonami), but there's a lot of people who just tune out after One Piece.

InuYasha's actually doing really good ratings-wise; it was pulling in good ratings even at 2AM, and that's why it got pushed earlier up in the time slots. Inuyasha is sorta like DBZ in the ratings, it gets views just because it's goddamn Inuyasha. OG Inuyasha regularly pulled 600,000-700,000 viewers when it was airing in the 5 AM death slot (compared to the usual ~500,000 of everything else that's aired there). Hell, in one fluke week of June 8, 2013 it pulled this:

5:00 AM Inuyasha 914,000
5:30 AM Inuyasha 866,000
:stare:

I always assume (and hope) that this is because there's a group of Inuyasha fans who have to get up early for work on Sundays and keep these numbers high.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Agreed with this.

:smith:

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
So is Adult Swim becoming a refuge for failed adult aimed animated shows? They picked up poo poo down and Shut Up and now they're airing Unsupervised. Are we going to see Chozen in a few months?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I see one peep of Allen Gregory and I'm out. It seems like everybody's hoping to become the next Family Guy and get that sweet revival.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Gaunab posted:

So is Adult Swim becoming a refuge for failed adult aimed animated shows? They picked up poo poo down and Shut Up and now they're airing Unsupervised. Are we going to see Chozen in a few months?

I've never heard of Unsupervised or Chozen before, but Sit Down and Shut Up was loving hilarious. If they are going through failed adult animation, they should grab Mission Hill next.

Waffleman_ posted:

I see one peep of Allen Gregory and I'm out.

Yeah, putting that on the same block as Mr. Pickles would make Adult Swim collapse into a black hole of total poo poo.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Mission Hill was already on Adult Swim long ago. I think they even aired some episodes that weren't in the original run.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

WickedHate posted:

I've never heard of Unsupervised or Chozen before, but Sit Down and Shut Up was loving hilarious. If they are going through failed adult animation, they should grab Mission Hill next.

loving newfags

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Unsupervised was pretty drat good. I was kinda upset when FX unceremoniously canceled it.

Maybe they'll pick up Ugly Americans too.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

bull3964 posted:

Unsupervised was pretty drat good. I was kinda upset when FX unceremoniously canceled it.

Maybe they'll pick up Ugly Americans too.

I think that's something Comedy Central did themselves, didn't they? Not really something that a competitor can air.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

RMZXAnarchy posted:

I think that's something Comedy Central did themselves, didn't they? Not really something that a competitor can air.

CC was just the distributor, Augenblick Studios was the production company (same that does superjail.)

There should be nothing preventing syndication rights being sold to [as].

Hell, even if CC was the production company they could do it.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
SDSU owns tho

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

bull3964 posted:

CC was just the distributor, Augenblick Studios was the production company (same that does superjail.)

There should be nothing preventing syndication rights being sold to [as].

Hell, even if CC was the production company they could do it.

Comedy Central owns all rights to that show.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Why do I not remember President Jimmy Carter's address to the Heartshe Holler?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Gaunab posted:

To a certain extent it's always been. Hell, until the bisection, Toonami was looking to go that way for action cartoons with reruns of IGPX, Thundercats, Beware The Batman, the verious anime that aired else where (Black Lagoon, Gurren Lagann) and everything.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

LAST WEEK ON TOONAMI

DBZ Kai: Goku learns the Spirit Bomb and is brought to life by the Dragon Balls. As he makes his way back along Snake Way, the Saiyans arrive sooner than expected and begin their search for the balls.

One Piece: After emerging from the rubble caused by Rocket Man crashing into the Tower of Law, the Straw Hats and Franky are greeted by the blabbermouth CP9 agent Fukurou as he reveals that Spandam has gave CP9 orders to execute the intruders. Also explaining that Spandam and Lucci are taking Robin to the Gates of Justice, Fukurou adds that he and four other CP9 members each possess a key that may unlock the sea stone handcuffs on Robin. As Luffy chases after Robin, the Straw Hats and Franky pursue the keys and each encounter a CP9 member. At the same time, Chimeney and her pet rabbit Gonbe accidentally find a secret passage and end up following Spandam and Lucci as they take Robin to the Gates of Justice.

Gurren Lagann: Rossi ruins everything for everyone sentences Simon to death as a scapegoat for the damage caused by the Antispiral attacks.

LAST WEEK ON GOONAMI

Slayers Next: The gang tried to cook a dragon and were reunited with an old friend when Prince Phil became a superhero after an attempt on his life.

The Hero Yoshihiko: After the party convinces Yoshihiko's sister Hisa to give them a flying carpet, they reach the Demon King's castle town and find that the temptations of the Demon King are almost too strong for them.

This week on Slayers, Lina loses her powers?

This week on Yoshihiko, a repeat of episode 11, and the final showdown with the Demon King.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Also just as a head's up, I won't be able to stream next week.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I'll try to get a handle on my issues with it, see if it's more than just my laptop being weak and see if I can pick up the slack.

Not a big deal though. Worse comes to worst, we can always watch Slayers subbed and we'd be finished with Yoshihiko anyway.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jan 31, 2015

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Pre-show starting

So I'm hearing that the new season of Power Rangers that started today is actually good, so we're probably gonna watch the first episode of it here.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Please do not choose Comcast as your Internet Service Provider

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm playing Xenoblade tonight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012