Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
If you're interested in jrpgs Disgaea 5 is an exclusive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
If you like JRPGs I bet there'll never be a console for you again. I guess the Wii u for the sunshine aspect.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The Vita and 3DS are where the vast majority of JRPGs go nowadays. For the former though, you could get a PSTV and play them on the big screen.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

g0lbez posted:

I like gay jrpg poo poo and happy sunshine games so yeah the ps4 is probably not for me.

The PS4 is for you with the insane stuff they're localizing out of Japan and what gets announced every month, from Japan. Omega Quintet (delightfully traditional JRPG with next-gen feeling in what little it does changing up the traditional turn-based JRPG combat) is on the list of surprise localisations due this year. Then there's the chance of Dragon Quest Heroes, Square's Project Z being presented in a bit under 24 hours confirmed (Japan Studio joint development), eeeeetc etc etc.

Lemme rephrase that; The PS4 will eventually be for you.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

MrLonghair posted:

The PS4 is for you with the insane stuff they're localizing out of Japan and what gets announced every month, from Japan. Omega Quintet (delightfully traditional JRPG with next-gen feeling in what little it does changing up the traditional turn-based JRPG combat) is on the list of surprise localisations due this year. Then there's the chance of Dragon Quest Heroes, Square's Project Z being presented in a bit under 24 hours confirmed (Japan Studio joint development), eeeeetc etc etc.

Yeah that's what I was afraid of, as soon as I get a ps3 then all the sudden the ps4 library has poo poo I actually want. I think I'm just gonna hold off and see what the library is when P5 finally comes out.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'm still amazed J-Stars Victory VS is coming to the US. In fact, I'm blown away those kind of games happen since the licensing stuff must be all sorts of nightmare fuel.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

If you like JRPGs I bet there'll never be a console for you again. I guess the Wii u for the sunshine aspect.

The Vita's library is almost exclusively japanese games

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Also poo poo, the JRPGest of JRPGs is on Steam now, Hyperdimension Neptunia.

edit: another series that is an 11 on the JRPG meter, Tales, is getting slammed as gently caress over some kind of DLC issue I don't really understand. I think most JRPG fans left in Japan are angry oldtimers who are impossible to please.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jan 30, 2015

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Bombadilillo posted:

Kind of regretting not jumping on the 20$ dying light since I had no interest in the game. How's single player? Do you need to coop it for fun? I might be stubborn and wait til I can get it used for 20 cause that's what I missed it as.

They're both fun for different reasons. The game is much more enthralling and actually sometimes scary (at night) in single player. You don't get that in multi but you do get rings of zombie stomping, which is good too.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

PantsBandit posted:

They're both fun for different reasons. The game is much more enthralling and actually sometimes scary (at night) in single player. You don't get that in multi but you do get rings of zombie stomping, which is good too.

How's the guns? Dead Island guns were shiiiiiiit and not a viable character build in my experience. I'm cool with ammo being scarce, but it should world loving great when you do get it. One headshot one dead undead dead thing.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Bombadilillo posted:

How's the guns? Dead Island guns were shiiiiiiit and not a viable character build in my experience. I'm cool with ammo being scarce, but it should world loving great when you do get it. One headshot one dead undead dead thing.

Haven't actually gotten any yet but I've heard they're very strong. The sound of gunfire will draw strong infected towards you though so you can't stick around unless you want to fight a mob.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Saagonsa posted:

The Vita's library is almost exclusively japanese games

It's a handheld! Sorry, that's the distinction I was addressing.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

It's a handheld! Sorry, that's the distinction I was addressing.
Except it can be not, thanks to the PSTV.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

PantsBandit posted:

Haven't actually gotten any yet but I've heard they're very strong. The sound of gunfire will draw strong infected towards you though so you can't stick around unless you want to fight a mob.

Oh no, I really the sound of that.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Eh, I can see why they did it. They're going for a more grounded zombie setting where you need to rely on wits and agility to get through. Guns are meant as more of a get out of jail card free card if you're overwhelmed than something to use all the time.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

MrLonghair posted:

I have attempted to get through the Omega Quintet demo three times, and it has been an unenjoyable experience every time. I can't imagine how well this game will do here.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Samurai Sanders posted:

edit: another series that is an 11 on the JRPG meter, Tales, is getting slammed as gently caress over some kind of DLC issue I don't really understand. I think most JRPG fans left in Japan are angry oldtimers who are impossible to please.

I haven't read into which DLC issue but it could be the Tales DLC business getting worse, or that the rest of the game was turned into pay-DLC, because people were left wondering if that was it. I thought Graces was pretty complete and done without even touching the Future arc, apparently it was worse with Zestria!

Takoluka posted:

I have attempted to get through the Omega Quintet demo three times, and it has been an unenjoyable experience every time. I can't imagine how well this game will do here.

It gets better once you pass the PS2-era graphics and framerates and enter the action-world and figure out the combat down there.
I mean, for us old JRPG nerds.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

MrLonghair posted:

I haven't read into which DLC issue but it could be the Tales DLC business getting worse, or that the rest of the game was turned into pay-DLC, because people were left wondering if that was it. I thought Graces was pretty complete and done without even touching the Future arc, apparently it was worse with Zestria!
It's apparently related to a party member joining your party and then disappearing soon after unless you buy some DLC. If that's really the case then that is indeed some serious bait and switch poo poo.

Man, I loved Graces though. Its my favorite Tales game ever and I really just want another one pretty much just like that.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jan 30, 2015

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

I know A bunch of you are aware of this because it was a launch game, but NFS: Rivals is fantastic. It's also infuriating when you lose all of your points. I'm glad I picked it up, especially for just $12 in the recent sale.

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~

Samurai Sanders posted:

Except it can be not, thanks to the PSTV.

The PSTV has a very limited library of Vita titles that are compatible for it, right? There's no guarantee that future Vita titles are guaranteed to be playable on it.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

matrix ripoff posted:

The PSTV has a very limited library of Vita titles that are compatible for it, right? There's no guarantee that future Vita titles are guaranteed to be playable on it.
I woudn't say VERY limited; the ones that aren't compatible are ones that make heavy use of the touchscreen/rear touchpad functions. I'd assume those will not be JRPGs for the most part.

barren_sky
May 6, 2004

the truth posted:

I know A bunch of you are aware of this because it was a launch game, but NFS: Rivals is fantastic. It's also infuriating when you lose all of your points. I'm glad I picked it up, especially for just $12 in the recent sale.

I keep flip-flopping on picking this up. How is the difficulty on it? Is it the kind of game where I can almost hold the accelerator down the whole race, crash a few times and still somehow win? Because that's what I like to do.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Wow, you guys weren't kidding, Grim Fandango is absolutely amazing. In case anyone is on the fence--it's not just nostalgia--this game is charming as all get out.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I seem to have run into a bug with Saints Row. My PS4 is saying the game is fully downloaded and installed but the game kicked me you after the tutorial mission as is saying it's not fully installed when I try to go back in.

barren_sky
May 6, 2004

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I seem to have run into a bug with Saints Row. My PS4 is saying the game is fully downloaded and installed but the game kicked me you after the tutorial mission as is saying it's not fully installed when I try to go back in.

It's still downloading secretly in the background. You can go into settings/data management and find Saints Row to see the progress of the actual download.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

barren_sky posted:

It's still downloading secretly in the background. You can go into settings/data management and find Saints Row to see the progress of the actual download.

Highlight Saints Row on your main home screen, hit the Options button on it, then select "Information" and it will show you the actual download progress. It's a thing on PS4 where you can play parts of a game while the download/install is going on, but usually it's not very well communicated

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

goferchan posted:

Highlight Saints Row on your main home screen, hit the Options button on it, then select "Information" and it will show you the actual download progress. It's a thing on PS4 where you can play parts of a game while the download/install is going on, but usually it's not very well communicated

It's also completely useless. you'll always finish a tutorial of the game long before enough is downloaded to keep playing.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Dying light did that for me, it was at 78% when I got to that elevator. So I put it off and went to bed, next day, 98%

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I want to say that it is more for on disc installing, because when the bar finishes, it really isn't done installing.

Manac0r
Oct 25, 2010

"Of all the things I have lost I miss my mind the most..."
To anyone who has Tetris Puyo Puyo, can you share play with people on your friends list or does that region problem thing occur like with a few other games I recall reading about? Would be nice to virtual-couch play with a few peeps.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
Yay, I was just complaining about how transistor wasnt on sale during the indie games sale.

20 bux saved

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
Unfortunately I didn't think transistor lived up to Bastion at all. :( the combat seemed kind of... Sterile, and dry, and it's the whole game. I was hyped for it too. The visuals and music are good but I couldn't stand to play it.

Definitely worth a freeby though because it deserves to be in front of people. You can tell they put a lot of effort in, at least!

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~
I've got to get myself a PS3 quick and soon - since I can't get PSNow to work for me, I'm not going to be able to resist picking up the free monthly titles with PS+ such as Yakuza 4. Nevermind I've had a terrible hankering to go back and play Jak and Daxter, Ratchet and Clank and Sly Cooper for loving years now.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Samurai Sanders posted:

It's apparently related to a party member joining your party and then disappearing soon after unless you buy some DLC. If that's really the case then that is indeed some serious bait and switch poo poo.

Man, I loved Graces though. Its my favorite Tales game ever and I really just want another one pretty much just like that.

It's more complex than that.

The advertising prominently featured said character at the start but obviously there were changes during development that moved said character into a supporting role for the story. She's hardly in the party for the first half of the game and leaves permanently by the halfway point (yet weapon shops still sell weapons only she can use.) The DLC is an epilogue story starring her (and is apparently free for just under a month after it releases) that takes place after the main game story.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

TaurusOxford posted:

It's also completely useless. you'll always finish a tutorial of the game long before enough is downloaded to keep playing.

I had the last of us at 70% and was able to start playing it with no interruptions ever.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

TaurusOxford posted:

The worst part is they don't surface it at all normally. Just at a glance there's no difference between a game that is fully installed and one that is still actually downloading.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
For a linear game with a gated story it might work - I've downloaded Diablo III, started playing with a new character and didn't even notice it was a partial download, but after trying to play with my later act character (thus far played only on a PL Diablo III game, which is a different download than the multiple languages one) it said that that part of the game is still downloading.

For open world games it very rarely seems to work - I wish they patched it so that the partial download is clearly labelled thus, there'd be no confusion then.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

barren_sky posted:

I keep flip-flopping on picking this up. How is the difficulty on it? Is it the kind of game where I can almost hold the accelerator down the whole race, crash a few times and still somehow win? Because that's what I like to do.

You might not always win, but so far the easy challenges have been very generous. It's basically a Burnout game.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

MrLonghair posted:

It gets better once you pass the PS2-era graphics and framerates and enter the action-world and figure out the combat down there.
I mean, for us old JRPG nerds.

Help me out here, man. I'm at a loss on how I'm supposed to deal reasonable amounts of damage and make battles last less than 15 minutes.

Also, apparently, if the existence of the manual for it on the Options menu is any indication, the game has PlayStation Move support. Any idea on how that works?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

This been posted yet

Sony PlayStation 4 + Grand Theft Auto V + The Last of Us Remastered $360 (in Target Stores) - http://slickdeals.net/share/iphone_app/fp/143874

Is this too good to pass up? I'm still going through my back catalog on PS3 and, while I'm interested in a few PS4 games, I was planning to wait for an Uncharted 4 bundle.

What's the year two price drop probably going to be? $50? This definitely seems like the best value I'd get until long after UC4 comes out, right?

• Locked thread