Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Neo Rasa posted:

With every system, Nintendo has made a legit mature games effort, but each time they underperform compared to what publishers want, so publishers and Nintendo drop it. Even Eternal Darkness which is legit excellent overall was a sleeper hit, taking a long time to catch up in sales.

Metroid Prime 2's multiplayer really was horrible though. What a waste.

They didn't/don't sell well because there were/are only a couple games that interested the target audiences for those games, and people don't generally buy consoles for one or two games. I say this as someone who vastly prefers the N64's library to the PSX and the GC's library to the PS2/Xbox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Duke Nukem introduced the world to the skeeviness of Levelord, that's about all it was "good" for.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010

Silver Falcon posted:

I really, really like the Wii-mote controls. Ya'll wishing for dual-stick controls are just insane! The pointer controls are just so fluid and natural.

But it's waaaaaaaaaaaaaggle and the internet pro gamers say I should hate all waggle so NOW I AM THE ANGRY BABBY GAMER. :c00lbutt:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Nolgthorn posted:

I appreciate hl2 but you are of course brushing aside the 1000 other fps' that came out after doom... I'm curious what you believe hl2 added that hl didn't first. Or what about duke nukem. I'm all for advances in gameplay and having variance even if games are in the same genre. Nobody would say the only games worth playing are the first ones made that introduced every feature. But you understand that the games that introduced new features earned their place in the classics hall of fame.

If you play call of duty (I'm honestly surprised) I mean do you think that is or will be a classic some day?

You couldn't pay me to actually play Call of Duty, but look at a typical FPS today, Call of Duty and Half-Life are the wellspring from which a very stagnant genre has flowed since their release. Both were hugely successful, so publishers have followed that trend, not seeing why this is such a radical line of thinking. It's very rare that a big budget game that tries to break their basic mold like Human Revolution or (arguably) Battlefield comes out.

Call of Duty being a "classic," I mean it's a game tons of people played and enjoyed and remember fondly despite the now annual updates. You can go onto the 360/PS3 and purchase "Call of Duty Classic" right now if you want to actually. :) You think all the ten year olds that played Black Ops 1 all day are going to fondly remember FPS from 1994 when they grow up?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
They would if they bothered to play them instead of writing them off as outdated. Doom is eternal.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Perfect Dark's better than Goldeneye anyway :can:.

:hfive:

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
How did a thread for the kiddy console turn into a Kids These Days rant.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

mycot posted:

How did a thread for the kiddy console turn into a Kids These Days rant.

Metroid tears us all apart

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

Neo Rasa posted:

You think all the ten year olds that played Black Ops 1 all day are going to fondly remember FPS from 1994 when they grow up?

Kids today don't even know what Mario is that's why Nintendo had to release a kiddy game for 10 year olds called Super Mario 3D World.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Will you kids shut the gently caress up when grown folks are talking about Metroid.

Metroid Trilogy owns and $10 is a god drat steal.

If you don't buy it eat poo poo.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

You couldn't pay me to actually play Call of Duty,

I haven't really given a rat's rear end about Call of Duty for the past 10 years or whatever.... but Advanced Warfare got my attention with the jump boost and air dash poo poo. I used to play Starsiege Tribes a huge amount and was incredibly good at it... and then FPS was ruined for me because nothing ever really matched high speed jetpack action for me after Tribes. Oh look, I'm running around on my feet in some area, how exciting.

This is also why I'm pretty hyped about Splatoon for some of the ink swimming stuff.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I think that if you were going to try to lay claim to one FPS game being the progenitor of the modern shooter, it would be the first Half-Life, but that game owes quite a bit to Quake, which of course was the successor to Doom. The thing is, all three of those games still hold up well (less so HL1, but it's still fine) and are all very much worth playing if you're interested in getting into FPS games -- especially Doom, which is still an extremely fun and fast-paced game in a way that most modern shooters, even ones that purport to be classically- or retro-styled, don't achieve.

Come visit us in the Early FPS thread :shobon:

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

How much content is there in Hyrule Warriors? I'm trying to decide between picking that or Captain Toad up, but I'm having a hard time. Both games appeal to me (I like Warriors games and haven't played one since the Wii U launch) but I'm not sure which I'll get more mileage out of in the long run. I guess I should also ask, is Hyrule Warriors even a good Warriors game, or would I just be better off picking up a mainline game on another console for a Warriors fix?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Agrias120 posted:

How much content is there in Hyrule Warriors? I'm trying to decide between picking that or Captain Toad up, but I'm having a hard time. Both games appeal to me (I like Warriors games and haven't played one since the Wii U launch) but I'm not sure which I'll get more mileage out of in the long run. I guess I should also ask, is Hyrule Warriors even a good Warriors game, or would I just be better off picking up a mainline game on another console for a Warriors fix?

CT is relatively short in comparison to other games and I'm fairly sure Hyrule Warriors never ends. ever.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Agrias120 posted:

How much content is there in Hyrule Warriors?

Infinite

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Hyrule Warriors is among the better Warriors games and has a lot of content right out of the box, with an obscene amount of extra content available as DLC.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Agrias120 posted:

Hyrule Warriors is a great game and you'll like it by all accounts. It has a huge amount of content even just in the main game, and then even more as DLC. I'm not as hot on it as I was a couple months ago because the DLC has some wonky difficulty issues that kinda killed the game for me, but the core game is unquestionably fantastic.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

It's one of the best Warrior games period and it's one of the most successful ones to. Captain Toad is hella cute but it took me like 3-4 hours to 100% it, I get dizzy thinking about 100%ing Hyrule Warriors as I want to live my life.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I played Captain Toad and 3-4 hours seems fast.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

It's one of the best Warrior games period and it's one of the most successful ones to. Captain Toad is hella cute but it took me like 3-4 hours to 100% it, I get dizzy thinking about 100%ing Hyrule Warriors as I want to live my life.

It took me like roughly 15 hours to do every possible thing in Captain Toad, I think you are exaggerating.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Thanks for the fast replies, everyone! I think I'll go with Hyrule Warriors right now and snag Captain Toad further down the line. I was originally a little worried this game might have just been a quick cash-in on the Zelda name, but it seems like even after the initial release hype died down it's still well loved. :dance:

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

pretty sure i had like 5 hours before getting to book 3 but i tend to take my time and look around each level

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Ultigonio posted:

It took me like roughly 15 hours to do every possible thing in Captain Toad, I think you are exaggerating.

For me it was basically getting checkmarks without realizing it- and the ones that I didn't just took a second attempt and nothing more. I think I died like once that entire game and it was to the final boss.

MMM was fun but I was told that there was enough Gold on the final floor I didn't have to worry to much so rushing to the goal made it easy.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

MaxDuo posted:

But it's waaaaaaaaaaaaaggle and the internet pro gamers say I should hate all waggle so NOW I AM THE ANGRY BABBY GAMER. :c00lbutt:

My cat's name is Waddles and this is exactly how I say her name when I call her :3:

Agrias120 posted:

Thanks for the fast replies, everyone! I think I'll go with Hyrule Warriors right now and snag Captain Toad further down the line. I was originally a little worried this game might have just been a quick cash-in on the Zelda name, but it seems like even after the initial release hype died down it's still well loved. :dance:

A lot of love went into Hyrule Warriors; definitely not just a cash-in. I went into it knowing drat well it'd be a button masher (and even when playing skillfully, it's still 90% button mashing,) and I've somehow dumped 100+ hours into it, with about a third of the game still remaining, and lots of collectable/completionist stuff to still go for.

I thought the DLC bundle was a bit pricey at $20, but then yea, 100+ hours. It may or may not click with you, though. There's a demo on store Wii U kiosks, try it out. If you enjoy playing the level in the demo, you'll probably love the game.

Oh, and the music rules, although it's not quite at that Mario Kart 8 level. It's mostly hard rock/metal/thrash, sometimes deriving into butt rock, which I'm only slightly ashamed to say I love every minute of it. Skyloft theme Eclipse of the Sun

enojy fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jan 30, 2015

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Nolgthorn posted:

Kids today don't even know what Mario is that's why Nintendo had to release a kiddy game for 10 year olds called Super Mario 3D World.

I understand what you're trying to say, but this is a horrible example since Doom 3 is a classic game that got a classic/HD re-release on consoles, it came out over ten years ago. Mario's never been out of the public eye that long. :)

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Hyrule Warriors is among the better Warriors games and has a lot of content right out of the box, with an obscene amount of extra content available as DLC.

I still can't believe how much stuff came with the DLC for the price, it's like 90s PC expansion pack days. It definitely one of the best ____ Warriors games too. It puts most of the other licensed ones to shame. I doubt I'll ever complete it. It puts basically any AAA game to shame with that. When I first started doing the adventure map I figured the small variety of actual different maps would kill it but the variety in weapons and characters is amazing and more than makes up for it. Great soundtrack too even if it uses the awful Dynasty Warriors drum samples. Is that like an old Japanese company thing? Like is Omega Force's sound guy some seventy year old dude who hasn't done work for twenty years so he's just like "Yup. This is music fellas, accept it."

But man they could even drop a Hyrule Warriors 2 announcement at E3 and I'd eat it up without hesitation, they totally surprised me with this game.

I still think they need to tone down and put Bayonetta into Smash/Hyrule/any Nintendo game with a lot of melee combat though. Platinum put her into Anarchy Reigns but the implementation was awful there (especially considering how hyper violent and fast ending the combat is in it).

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jan 30, 2015

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
hyrule warriors has tingle dlc coming out. you kill people with his love balloon. buy hyrule warriors.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I don't think I've ever played a game with as much poo poo to unlock and grind for than Hyrule Warriors.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I stopped playing Hyrule Warriors because as quickly as I could advance in that game and as quickly and as much content they were adding I was actually going backwards as an overall percentage of completion at an embarrassing rate.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

Hyrule Warriors is a great game and you'll like it by all accounts. It has a huge amount of content even just in the main game, and then even more as DLC. I'm not as hot on it as I was a couple months ago because the DLC has some wonky difficulty issues that kinda killed the game for me, but the core game is unquestionably fantastic.

This is a post worth listening to if you're looking to pick up Hyrule Warriors. I love the game, I really do, but the DLC is kind of a bummer just because of how difficult it is. I jumped on the $20 pack of all future DLC for it and it is by far a ton of content for the price but I just never really feel like playing it because it reeeeeeaaaaaaaally wants you to grind and I have other games I'd like to play in this lifetime. Kinda regret getting the DLC so far.

Base game still owns bones though and has a bajillion hours of content on it's own. Just be wary of DLC unless you know what you're getting into and really want more Hyrule Warriors.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

mabels big day posted:

I don't think I've ever played a game with as much poo poo to unlock and grind for than Hyrule Warriors.

is it more than smash bros

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
If you play Hyrule Warriors for about an hour a day, it's easily gonna take you till 2017 to "finish" it. People are not exaggerating, there is an obscene amount of content in the game, even before getting DLC. It's also jam packed with awesome characters and weapons, and there's all really fun to play as (excepting Agitha), there are only like ten maps but they are all well designed enough to never get boring, namely because they have so many different mission types and events and just tons of poo poo happening. Game is dope and everyone should play it.

Also, little late to the Mario Kart cheating talk, but I have to say the king of rubber-banding AI is still Mario Kart 64, because the AI completely ignores the rules when not onscreen.

sharrrk posted:

is it more than smash bros

Yes. Smash doesn't have DLC.

Siselmo
Jun 16, 2013

hey there
Say, goons, how different are the Metroid Prime games compared to, say, Fusion and Super Metroid? My brother was a huge fan Super Metroid and I was thinking of maybe getting the trilogy tomorrow once I get one of those eShop cards. But if it is a straight FPS like COD I don't think he would like it very much, and most fast-paced FPSes make me extremely motion sick (withh weird exceptions like System Shock 2, I don't even know).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Siselmo posted:

Say, goons, how different are the Metroid Prime games compared to, say, Fusion and Super Metroid? My brother was a huge fan Super Metroid and I was thinking of maybe getting the trilogy tomorrow once I get one of those eShop cards. But if it is a straight FPS like COD I don't think he would like it very much, and most fast-paced FPSes make me extremely motion sick (withh weird exceptions like System Shock 2, I don't even know).

It's not a CoD-style FPS, it's metroid in 3D. Platforming and all. Go play it and have fun.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Siselmo posted:

But if it is a straight FPS like COD I don't think he would like it very much, and most fast-paced FPSes make me extremely motion sick (withh weird exceptions like System Shock 2, I don't even know).

Despite being a first person game where you shoot things, Metroid Prime(s) are not really FPSs. They're still exploration games where you go around looking and jumping (somehow they managed to make first person platforming not suck) to find new stuff. There's not much aiming/swerving either; for reference you could lock-on anything in the GC versions.

mycot fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jan 30, 2015

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Siselmo posted:

The game is neither or those things. I wouldn't call it "slow", but it's definitely a calmer pace than any CoD twitchfest.

It's Metroid in 3D. Seriously, it's Metroid in 3D, you're not gonna get a more accurate description than that.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I just found out my favorite kirby song is remixed in rainbow curse and I'm going nuts. Help me.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

That is an absolutely fantastic piece of music. Holy poo poo.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

PneumonicBook posted:

That is an absolutely fantastic piece of music. Holy poo poo.
Dedede theme forever

SatansBestBuddy fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jan 30, 2015

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I played Metroid Prime for about 2 hours, quit, and realized the game came out well before the days of autosave. Whoops. At least it's a generally enjoyable 2 hours I get to redo tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I grew up with Super Mario Kart so I might be biased but skip that piece of poo poo. The game balances itself by giving the other CPU racers infinite items so you can have a infinite star Mario running after you if you so much as think about passing him.

It's a exercise in frustration.

If you are any good at Super Mario Kart this doesn't matter. There is minimal rubber banding in Super Mario Kart allowing a top player to lap the computer on the highest difficulty settings. It's acceleration and drift system is different than the current Mario Kart games so it has a unique quality to it. It's a really fun game and even if you are bad the computer items are way worse than the red shells and such you have access to in the pack so this complaint is silly.

• Locked thread