Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trexy
Aug 7, 2007

wife/GF
can't/won't

goldblums eyes posted:

I started the podcast again from the first episode.. When Liam is arguing a point and his voice gets high-pitched and you can tell he's blushing, it's the most cringeworthy thing ever. I never noticed it before, but holy poo poo I didn't realize I like Liam as little as I do. He's also really bad at trying to be funny in videos :/

I marathoned the early podcasts a long time ago and remember finding him frustrating, but It was just a specific couple of arguments that seemed to go on for 15 minutes. He's been fine ever since.

also

Rodyle posted:

Have you ever noticed how the other guys seem to secretly hate Patrick!!?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goldblums eyes
Jan 11, 2011

Rodyle posted:

Have you ever noticed how the other guys seem to secretly hate Patrick!!?!

Uh. What are you trying to say here?

Trexy
Aug 7, 2007

wife/GF
can't/won't

goldblums eyes posted:

Uh. What are you trying to say here?

If you have never read the Giant Bomb thread, now is a great time to never start.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Yeah, Liam's been a lot better at dropping arguments lately. I like the guy too, especially in LPs.

Trexy posted:

If you have never read the Giant Bomb thread, now is a great time to never start.

I think that hit a bit close to home for the guy. That's all I'll say.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI

His arguments were pretty bad there for a while but hes a cool guy

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Liam's biggest problem is he suffers from being 21 or 22 years old (he said he likes bitcoins for example). He does occasionally have a really good line now and then, usually when he's being incredibly mean about something. Tho I always like it when super nice people very suddenly become uncharacteristically vicious for a brief moment :getin:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

goldblums eyes posted:

I started the podcast again from the first episode.. When Liam is arguing a point and his voice gets high-pitched and you can tell he's blushing, it's the most cringeworthy thing ever. I never noticed it before, but holy poo poo I didn't realize I like Liam as little as I do. He's also really bad at trying to be funny in videos :/

He really is SBF's Patrick Klepek. Started out horrible, took way too long to get in the groove, and for the most part is fine now with some pretty great moments every so often, even(he should probably stay at that point instead of moving somewhere else and then making a Terrible Life Choice). I find him tolerable, as someone who used to really, really dislike hearing his terrible arguments on the podcast, he's definitely gotten better at not dragging derails about terrible topics out, though he still could improve on that. His contrary nature can get obnoxious and he's loving horrible at playing devil's advocate, but otherwise he's fine now. The SMRPG playthrough has been pretty fun outside of the whole not-running thing, which is fixed now.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

It does help that Shinsuke Nakamura is just a JoJo's character come to life.

Ishii is his stand.

A little late on this but :golfclap:

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

His contrary nature can get obnoxious and he's loving horrible at playing devil's advocate, but otherwise he's fine now.

The worst case of this I ever saw was the PlayStation Experience video. I could be wrong but to me it seemed like Liam had some bitchy retort to just about everything Pat said. The lowest point, to me, was how anti-hype he was to Pat's freaking out about the yakuza 5 western release announcement. It's like, drat dude, one of your closest friends just got the most excited he's ever been about something in a long time, let him have his fuckin moment!

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan
The first episode of the podcast I listened to was the post-3DS Smash Bros release one where Liam whines for roughly three hours about it and it was super annoying. Since then though I've warmed up to him a lot more, particularly in the Super Mario RPG playthrough.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I like Liam.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Goons not liking you is pretty much one of the biggest endorsements of personal integrity you can get.

Goons also dislike: Gandhi, Jesus, Nelson Mandela, The Avengers, Motoko Kusanagi

Goons like: Stalin, Steve Jobs, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, Griffith, Ronald Mcdonald

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Regarde Aduck posted:

Goons not liking you is pretty much one of the biggest endorsements of personal integrity you can get.

Goons also dislike: Gandhi, Jesus, Nelson Mandela, The Avengers, Motoko Kusanagi

Griffith did nothing wrong.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

beep by grandpa posted:

The worst case of this I ever saw was the PlayStation Experience video. I could be wrong but to me it seemed like Liam had some bitchy retort to just about everything Pat said. The lowest point, to me, was how anti-hype he was to Pat's freaking out about the yakuza 5 western release announcement. It's like, drat dude, one of your closest friends just got the most excited he's ever been about something in a long time, let him have his fuckin moment!

Pat is so negative and Liam is so positive, it's easy for them to get on each other's nerves, and given how long that video was, it's not hard to imagine Liam being in a mood by the time Yakuza 5 came up. Also he was probably concerned by the staggering number of centipedes skittering around in Pat's apartment.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Regarde Aduck posted:

There are very few people saying they don't like Liam though? Most in the thread, myself included, are describing things he does that are considered annoying. Is mild criticism being overblown into personal dislike is a :siren:GOOOON:siren: quality then?

goldblums eyes
Jan 11, 2011

The Kins posted:

Also here's an new animation of Bible School a la Zaibatsu:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-lE7i8lzMI

I feel like this wasn't appreciated enough here.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

goldblums eyes posted:

I feel like this wasn't appreciated enough here.

That was pretty cool, yeah. Especially animated Matt's face whenever someone talked over him, because that's my face whenever people talk over me.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Pooping on the best console of this generation is the most confusing thing ever :psyduck:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Regarde Aduck posted:

Weird, it's like I was saying how he's improved and become less unlikeable over time rather than saying MAN I FUCKIN' HATE LIAM

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Pooping on the best console of this generation is the most confusing thing ever :psyduck:
Pooping on anything is kinda confusing, poop goes into a toilet you savages!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
asfdsafsfg

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Captain Invictus posted:

Pooping on anything is kinda confusing, poop goes into a toilet you savages!

I dunno I feel like anyone who got shat on by the glitches in Warrior Within after taking a chance on it instead of just disregarding it deserves to poop on it.

Like they brought it up again today and I decided to go check if Ubisoft or whoever they contracted to port the game to the PS3 some years back fixed the horrible glitches and nope, they fuckin' didn't!

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Goons also get really defensive when someone makes a sweeping generalization that doesn't even include them, really.

Anyway, I went to listen to the penultimate podcast (because I'm behind) and it sounds like everyone is talking all over everyone because of audio issues. Does it get better later on, for those ? I'd check it myself but for some reason I can't get to jump ahead on the player.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

People have flaws. Liam's really argumentative but he's also really funny. And Pat explained one podcast that they snipe at each-other all the time so when the podcast is rolling Pat purposely says the thing that will set Liam off the most because he's a loveable rear end in a top hat.

This LP is making me want to play SMRPG again, I forgot how really good that game is.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I've been rewatching the SH: Homecoming LP since SH2's been up and running. It's weird, the moments of silence in SH2 when there's no music are much more interesting than the moments of silence in Homecoming.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Compendium posted:

I've been rewatching the SH: Homecoming LP since SH2's been up and running. It's weird, the [ANYTHING AT ALL] in SH2 is much more interesting than the [ANYTHING AT ALL] in Homecoming.

Fixed that right up for you.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Fair enough! But I guess I find the difference in how the execution in atmosphere fascinating since it's so bad in Homecoming while SH2 really gives you a sense of apprehension.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I have always had an appreciation for the claustrophobia of running around trapped in Alex's tiny-rear end suburban family home, and the amount of complexity in the puzzles they managed to cram into what amounts to like 10 rooms, but they never did anything interesting with it and I don't think you even fight any enemies besides bugs. Homecoming is really just a game full of wasted potential.

Wordnumber
Jan 13, 2015
Matt brought up how the Radio can cut the tension a bit in the SH games and it reminded me of a lot of the ways the developers actually took the time to use the radio to mess with the player. SH2 itself only really has the mannequins, which don't actually trip the radio unless they are active. You can run into situations where you've killed all the active enemies but there's still a mannequin stashed away in some corner, so you aren't actually safe. SH 1 plays with the radio in a couple more ways, like how Larval Stalkers trip the radio but aren't aggressive in any way.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
Sony just said Transistor and Yakuza 4 among others are free on PS+ next month. Is 4 a good place to start, because I really wanna play Yakuza so Pat's shilling is not in vain.

I can also recommend Rogue Legacy, which is really fun but really hard.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/01/29/playstation-plus-februarys-free-games/

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

He really is SBF's Patrick Klepek. Started out horrible, took way too long to get in the groove, and for the most part is fine now

I think you're confusing klepek with someone else. Unless you're talking about the part where he quit.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Sorry, meant that as "before he made Poor Life Choices"

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Captain Invictus posted:

Sorry, meant that as "before he made Poor Life Choices"

What are you talking about? Obviously Kotaku is such a huge step gently caress it I can't even finish that sentence.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I wish I understood Parasite Eve but I kinda dropped that series because man it's not interesting seeing cutscene after cutscene after cutscene.

Does it ever really let up?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's a 90s JRPG, so no.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Solaris Knight posted:

Sony just said Transistor and Yakuza 4 among others are free on PS+ next month. Is 4 a good place to start, because I really wanna play Yakuza so Pat's shilling is not in vain.

Yakuza 4 is a perfectly fine place to start. You might need to start off by watching the recap videos, but it is perfectly fine as a first yakuza.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE

OneDeadman posted:

Yakuza 4 is a perfectly fine place to start. You might need to start off by watching the recap videos, but it is perfectly fine as a first yakuza.

Glad to hear it.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

4 (through the Best Friends) was my first exposure to Yakuza, and it all made sense to me. It's got kind of a "the next generation" vibe for the first half or so I think.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Melty Blood is on my subscription list and I'm not happy

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Melty Blood is on my subscription list and I'm not happy

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAH THE MELTY BLOOD IS HERE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Oh man, Melty Blood... As a Type-Moon fan, I am prepared to be endlessly amused by the guys talking about this... Now find Fate/Unlimited Codes.