Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Rastor posted:

UHD Blu-Ray advantages:
* 3840x2160 resolution at up to 60p
* Rec. 2020 color space with 10-bit color baked into the requirements (look these up - possibly more important than the increased resolution)
* HDR specs SMPTE ST 2084 and 2086
* Passthrough for new immersive audio formats such as Auro-3D and Dolby Atmos
* Forget about 20 Mbit/s, try 66 GB discs with 108 Mbit/s, and 100 GB discs with 128 Mbit/s transfer rates

UHD Blu-Ray disadvantages:
* Hi, Hollywood Assholes here. We will continue to make you watch 2 minutes of unskippable ads and FBI warnings before you can goddamn play the goddamn movie.
* Oh yeah and because of our encryption / protection methods, if you pop out the disk you have to go through all that again instead of being able to resume where you left off.
* By the way we're still paranoid about piracy, but instead of competing by offering a great, convenient product at a reasonable price, we're instead going to make HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 mandatory requirements. This means if you already bought a 4K TV and/or surround sound setup, UHD Blu-Ray probably won't work with them. gently caress you.

HDMI 2.0 probably won't be required except for films over 30hz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

zer0spunk posted:

If I'm owning a film I'd rather have a blu ray copy that averages at a 20Mbps bitrate, then a netflix h.264 stream (or amazon/itunes copy) that averages 6Mbps.

Just like there are a ton of people that can't discern between a CD or flac and a lower quality mp3 encode, I'm sure the people that do care about that quality gap are in the minority. For things I care about I'll gladly take the least compressed version I can get. There's no reason this doesn't carry on with UHD (which hopefully stays in the same ballpark size wise thanks to h.265)..

I'll be the first person to throw money at the criterion collection in 3840x2160. Couple more years at best I'd wager. Then I can rebuy 'em all at 7680x4320 when we go FUHD (really? fu hd?)

Besides....the average internet connection speed in the US is still under 9 megs. Games still press on blu ray (xbox and playstation)...optical media isn't going anywhere.

Surely you don't think they're going to keep streaming at 6mbps forever?

Just in the past few days the FCC revamped their definitions of broadband to be a minimum of 25 mbps, partly because Netflix said they want to stream at that speed.

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

Ted Nugent is the next generation in Joint Combat soldiers

Thermopyle posted:

Surely you don't think they're going to keep streaming at 6mbps forever?

Just in the past few days the FCC revamped their definitions of broadband to be a minimum of 25 mbps, partly because Netflix said they want to stream at that speed.

I've been streaming through netflix with h.265 at 16 megabit for the new 4k content they have and it looks amazing.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

zer0spunk posted:

optical media isn't going anywhere.

It's also something that most people really don't want to own anymore. I don't think Red Box is going to be stocking UHD Blu-Rays anytime soon. Of the people who still do buy movies, DVD is still outpacing blu-ray despite the fact that the majority of people own an HDTV now. Hell, we're still struggling to get some tv shows released on blu-ray rather than DVD and this is 2015.

UHD blu-ray is going to be about as successful as SACD. Yeah, it's technically not dead. But releases are still few and far between and there's no shelf space for them at the local retailer.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Next-Gen posted:

I've been streaming through netflix with h.265 at 16 megabit for the new 4k content they have and it looks amazing.

I would love to do this but for the past three months I go from 30 mbps to 3 mbps during peak hours because comcast over sold my neighborhood.

I'm going to have to try calling them again.

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

havenwaters posted:

I would love to do this but for the past three months I go from 30 mbps to 3 mbps during peak hours because comcast over sold my neighborhood.

I'm going to have to try calling them again.

If comcast is anything like cablevision, you have to keep complaining before they split the whatever for more people since it's so expensive. Get your neighbors to call in too.

renojiin
Oct 26, 2005
College Slice
I'm going to be moving soon, and my new living room has a great space for a large TV and I'm trying to decide what to go with.

So far I'm looking at 70 inch Vizio E, 65 inch Vizio M or Samsung UN65H6350. I could go a little smaller (I had the Sony KDL60W850B on my list there for awhile). I'm thinking the sweet spot is likely a 65' due to the wall I will be mounting it on being 64 inches across, with a light switch on it. (though if I get a wireless light switch for a replacement the 61.5 inch across 70 inch will fit just fine...

I'm looking to use the tv for gaming as probably it's primary use, though I suppose we will occasionally use it for tv/movies. I'd like to get the best value, but I'm not against spending a little bit of money on the tv (<$2k preferred). Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Edit: viewing distance is ~10-12 feet. Not exactly sure, but it's about there. (can't measure it currently).

renojiin fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Feb 2, 2015

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
For primarily gaming id get a sony or Vizio p series because they have the lowest lag.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

Don Lapre posted:

HDMI 2.0 probably won't be required except for films over 30hz

Except the Sony streaming box requires it, and so will Dish and DirecTV, its all a requirement listed on their websites. Good job guys, you've turned people to piracy because that will be cracked.

But about bluray UHD, It would be nice if they gave us a way to downscale to 1080p with the higher color depth for HDMI 1.4 for those not upgrading everything in their HDCP chain right away. They could advertise it as such for market penetration, but that would make too much sense.

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Feb 2, 2015

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

renojiin posted:

I'm going to be moving soon, and my new living room has a great space for a large TV and I'm trying to decide what to go with.

So far I'm looking at 70 inch Vizio E, 65 inch Vizio M or Samsung UN65H6350. I could go a little smaller (I had the Sony KDL60W850B on my list there for awhile). I'm thinking the sweet spot is likely a 65' due to the wall I will be mounting it on being 64 inches across, with a light switch on it. (though if I get a wireless light switch for a replacement the 61.5 inch across 70 inch will fit just fine...

I'm looking to use the tv for gaming as probably it's primary use, though I suppose we will occasionally use it for tv/movies. I'd like to get the best value, but I'm not against spending a little bit of money on the tv (<$2k preferred). Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Edit: viewing distance is ~10-12 feet. Not exactly sure, but it's about there. (can't measure it currently).

I'm about in the same boat as the goon above me here since I need a TV that would be used mainly for PS4 gaming, plugging in a Roku, and probably not even using a Blu Ray on. Heck MY WIFE and I don't even watch DVDs on our current TV. We are very much a Netflix/Youtube/PS3 kind of couple and we are far from videophiles.

Our TV stand (a hardwood, very nice one we wouldn't part with) is only 48 inches in width. But the viewing distance would be about fifteen feet when we put together our new living room setup.

So here's what I am thinking... do I even need 1080p on my TV? Is there a such thing as a low input lag and fairly thin TV that would suit our needs?

Maybe a 60" 720p TV? Do those even exist? And I suppose it would have to have one of those central bases to fit on the TV stand since ours is a little short.

We don't really have a budget but I think the wife would like it to be under $800.

On that note, the contender in my mind is a Vizio E-series: http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-E600i-B3-60-Inch-1080p-Smart/dp/B00GTE0VJ6

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Any preferred 32" 1080 LED tvs? Something sub 300 would be nice. I see some Samesungs and LGs - are those decent?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Massasoit posted:

I see some Samesungs

Try looking at Sorny or Panaphonic. Stay away from Magnetbox though.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Is there something different about the Vizio M series 65in? They don't seem to make it anymore.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

ColHannibal posted:

Is there something different about the Vizio M series 65in? They don't seem to make it anymore.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&es_th=1&ie=UTF-8#q=m652i-b2&tbm=shop&spd=2452311794250935642

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

I know they exist, but my inquiry was more towards if they have some kinda unique panel. Ive seen mentions of this other places but I cant find any conclusive evidence.

mamelon
Oct 9, 2010

by Lowtax

Massasoit posted:

Any preferred 32" 1080 LED tvs? Something sub 300 would be nice. I see some Samesungs and LGs - are those decent?

I just got the 32" Sharp Aquos for under 300. Pretty happy with it so far! Mostly use it for streaming, I really love the contrast because the blacks are rich.

Only thing I'm less thrilled about is that there's no ability to force a specific aspect ratio, meaning I sometimes want to "make this 4:3 specifically" and that's not an option. It's either "natural" dependent on input, "wide" for stretched, or "zoom."

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
Just found out that my Vizio P55 will do 4K@60Hz from my PC after upgrading my 780 GTX's graphics drivers. That's cool.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

So I just got a Sony KDL60W630B. The first day, it looked great, but now I'm noticing faint horizontal lines in dark areas. It's also really noticeable leaving little lines if the camera pans up or down in the dark scenes (I can try to take a pic or video if I need to). I checked using different HDMI inputs for the PS4 and the TVs built in netflix and it does it on both. Did my panel somehow poo poo out in a day?

Artless Meat fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Feb 8, 2015

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Why didn't you get the 850B?

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

rear end Catchcum posted:

Why didn't you get the 850B?

Don't care about 3d and I use a sound bar so the better speakers don't matter.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

w00tazn posted:

Just found out that my Vizio P55 will do 4K@60Hz from my PC after upgrading my 780 GTX's graphics drivers. That's cool.

You must mean your 980 GTX. It's the only one with HDMI 2.0 which is needed for 60hz. HDMI 1.4 can do 4K but only at a max of 30hz.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

suddenlyissoon posted:

You must mean your 980 GTX. It's the only one with HDMI 2.0 which is needed for 60hz. HDMI 1.4 can do 4K but only at a max of 30hz.

1.4 can do 4k@60hz at lower chroma.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don Lapre posted:

1.4 can do 4k@60hz at lower chroma.

Ah, it's an Nvidia trick
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-kepler-4k-hdmi-1.4,27117.html

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

All the 900 series nvidia have the hdmi 2.0 on them too. 960 is a good deal for going that route, now

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Will be nice if the cheap rear end 910-940 cards that eventually come out have hdmi 2

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

What's the goon opinion on DisplayPort? I had to get a new video card to get my computer monitor to work in 4k.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Reverse Centaur posted:

What's the goon opinion on DisplayPort? I had to get a new video card to get my computer monitor to work in 4k.

Works perfectly fine. Get a cable on monoprice if you need one.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Yeah I know it works, just wondering if there's any future to it or will HDMI 2.0 wipe it out. Maybe better for a computer thread I guess.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
TV Goon Gurus: I need your help. I want to buy a new ~$500 LED TV that's at least 46" big to replace our RCAONCorp 46LA45RQ Chinese piece of crap LCD that now after almost 4 years has ghosting so bad that it renders gaming, watching movies, and watching most TV shows impossible. I wish I knew about all of the screen problems it had, because we wouldn't have touched it with a ten-foot pole.

I'm currently looking at these four, specifically the LG 47LB5900 for it's high praise. Losing the second Component In and the third HDMI input would suck, but I just want a reliable TV over anything else from these four choices. The potentional TV will be used for HD gaming as well as movies and my fiancee's unbearable TV shows.

I read the OP (nice job, Macys), and couldn't really find any info on CNet or Televisions Reviewed and all that was on the Input Lag site was that the Toshiba was rated "Great" with a 32ms delay.

Summary: What do you guys think is the most reliable TV of the four in the link above and will be the best for gaming? I want to bring one home tonight before Best Buy closes.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Reverse Centaur posted:

What's the goon opinion on DisplayPort?
What's there to have an opinion about? It works fine.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Reverse Centaur posted:

Yeah I know it works, just wondering if there's any future to it or will HDMI 2.0 wipe it out. Maybe better for a computer thread I guess.

Well, Is your question about computers of TV? For TV, there isn't a good reason to move too or add DP when HDMI can be good enough and is backwards compatible with older devices without need for an adapter. For computers, the Dell PCs and monitors we get at work all support DP. The i7 they gave me two DP and 1 VGA. Multiple monitors and >4k resolution are more of a computer market need

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

Charles Martel posted:

TV Goon Gurus: I need your help. I want to buy a new ~$500 LED TV that's at least 46" big to replace our RCAONCorp 46LA45RQ Chinese piece of crap LCD that now after almost 4 years has ghosting so bad that it renders gaming, watching movies, and watching most TV shows impossible. I wish I knew about all of the screen problems it had, because we wouldn't have touched it with a ten-foot pole.

I'm currently looking at these four, specifically the LG 47LB5900 for it's high praise. Losing the second Component In and the third HDMI input would suck, but I just want a reliable TV over anything else from these four choices. The potentional TV will be used for HD gaming as well as movies and my fiancee's unbearable TV shows.

I read the OP (nice job, Macys), and couldn't really find any info on CNet or Televisions Reviewed and all that was on the Input Lag site was that the Toshiba was rated "Great" with a 32ms delay.

Summary: What do you guys think is the most reliable TV of the four in the link above and will be the best for gaming? I want to bring one home tonight before Best Buy closes.

I'm doing research on a similar set of TVs but I believe of all of the four, the Vizio has the lowest input lag and motion blur.

The Vizio utilizes the same panel as the Sharp.

Also doesn't that particular LG and Toshiba have mediocre motion blur despite good input lag ratings?

Insane Totoro fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Feb 10, 2015

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Insane Totoro posted:

I'm doing research on a similar set of TVs but I believe of all of the four, the Vizio has the lowest input lag and motion blur.

The Vizio utilizes the same panel as the Sharp.

From what I've read so far, the Sharp was a big Black Friday deal last year and many people branded it as untrustworthy since it's a "rebranded" Insignia, which leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Lots of good reviews on Best Buy's site and all the 1-star ones have had responses from Sharp reps, but I don't know if that matters or not.

Reviews I've seen on the Toshiba talk about bad motion blur issues and barebones inputs, so that's out.

I think I've narrowed it down to either the Visio or the LG. The LG seems to be the most reliable, but that Visio TV is the only one out of the four with a separate analog audio input for me to plug my headset receiver into without using the audio jacks from the Component input which my original XBox goes.

I just wish my RCA TV still worked well. Ughhhhh. :(

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

Charles Martel posted:

From what I've read so far, the Sharp was a big Black Friday deal last year and many people branded it as untrustworthy since it's a "rebranded" Insignia, which leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Lots of good reviews on Best Buy's site and all the 1-star ones have had responses from Sharp reps, but I don't know if that matters or not.

Reviews I've seen on the Toshiba talk about bad motion blur issues and barebones inputs, so that's out.

I think I've narrowed it down to either the Visio or the LG. The LG seems to be the most reliable, but that Visio TV is the only one out of the four with a separate analog audio input for me to plug my headset receiver into without using the audio jacks from the Component input which my original XBox goes.

I just wish my RCA TV still worked well. Ughhhhh. :(

I'm an idiot and meant to say that the Vizio uses the same panel as SIMILAR mid range Sharps

Get the Vizio

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Insane Totoro posted:

I'm an idiot and meant to say that the Vizio uses the same panel as SIMILAR mid range Sharps

Get the Vizio

I ended up pulling the trigger on the 50" Vizio which was $30 more. $490 after a 10% off coupon and a gift certificate I forgot I had. Can't wait to go home and hook it up! :woop: Thanks for the replies, man.

Edit: A big improvement. I can't get over how much lighter and sharper this looks compared to our old unit. Consider me a fan of Vizio...so far.

Charles Martel fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Feb 10, 2015

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Remember, just because you bought a $2500 4K tv from Samsung it doesn't mean that they can't continue to make money on you and control what you watch on it.

https://gigaom.com/2015/02/10/samsung-tvs-start-inserting-ads-into-your-movies/

I personally haven't had this happen as I don't use any of the Samsung apps except for Netflix but I did find 4-5 different sections in the Smart Hub privacy menu of items that I could opt-out of.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah I've been nothing but happy with the Vizio 60" M series I got last year.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

GreenNight posted:

Yeah I've been nothing but happy with the Vizio 60" M series I got last year.

I'm debating getting a 65" M series in a couple months, and am happy to see all the love Vizio is getting in this thread. I thought I was crazy for liking their t.v.'s until I found this thread.

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Feb 11, 2015

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

I ordered a Vizio M422i-B1 from WalMart.com and used their site-to-store thing where you could pick it up in the store after a few hours.

I went to pick it up, and it was super easy, just walk in and out 10 minutes later.

Except, I noticed as I was wheeling out that they gave me an E-series. So I went back in and she goes "oh yeah, we were out of the one you ordered, so we subsituted that one".

Needless to say, I returned it as I wasn't going to take an inferior TV at the same price as the M series.

Anyway, I got it somewhere else and its a nice TV!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

Man, who the gently caress even thinks that and goes "yeah, that's what they would want" let alone not even telling you