Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

McDragon posted:

Some day these experts will become wise to Philomena Cunk, and it will be a sad time.
Yeah, it's part of what did for Chris Morris as a prankster, he was just too well known to pass as Wayne Carr or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Flea Wars posted:

Zeb was too real.

Shudderingly real.

I'm going to miss this series when it ends in a months time already. Top notch.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Honestly, the only thing I was missing was a good 'like your mum' crack.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I thought Zeb actually was real :smith:

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches
Ive started watching Cucumber, and really enjoyed the first episode.

Anyone else watching it? And if so is Banana any good? Ive heard Tofu is just crappy short documentarys

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

BizarroAzrael posted:

Matt Berry should run a service to just say things with weird cadence and emphasis. My pick would be "Plastic carrier bag".

I still have no clue how he did the one in the first episode of Garth Marenghi. Like, I can't make my mouth make those sounds in that order.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Rarity posted:

Wait, that wasn't literally some person off of YouTube? Wow, that's a spot-on parody of one of those "superstars". Well, going off the three seconds I can usually stand of them before I crack.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I kind of sussed it out with over the top pile of iPhones myself.

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

Monsieur Murdoch Fan Club

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

The new series of Uncle starts on BBC 3 soon :allears:

Talk about your gems hidden among poo poo.

Is there a set date? I need a date.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

SeanBeansShako posted:

I kind of sussed it out with over the top pile of iPhones myself.

Also maybe that it was clearly a woman?

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

McDragon posted:

Wait, that wasn't literally some person off of YouTube? Wow, that's a spot-on parody of one of those "superstars". Well, going off the three seconds I can usually stand of them before I crack.

That's why I only lasted about 20 seconds into it :smith:

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

The Big Taff Man posted:

Ive started watching Cucumber, and really enjoyed the first episode.

Anyone else watching it? And if so is Banana any good? Ive heard Tofu is just crappy short documentarys
Ive only seen the first of both but yes, it's good - it intersects with Cucumber a bit but the repeated scenes are slightly different, probably because it has a bit of a different feel. Seems a bit softer (har!)

I expected it to be a different writer but they were both Russell T Davies. Looking forward to catching up on last night's episodes tonight!

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
Managed to miss fortitude, was it worth the constant advertising?

Crack
Apr 10, 2009

Rarity posted:

I did have to pause iplayer and google her before watching the whole thing, it was too convincing a performance. Almost too convincing, to the point where it's uncomfortable to watch like a fake snuff film or something.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
I liked fortitude. It wasn't amazing, but it was interesting enough that I'll definitely keep watching.

Dr. Lucien Sanchez
Jan 19, 2011

DrNewton posted:

Is there a set date? I need a date.

Tuesday 10th Feb, 10pm according to Nick Helm's Facebook.

stevey666
Feb 25, 2007
So.. anyone have any thoughts on Wolf Hall?

Very impressed with it so far

tdrules
Jan 12, 2014
I was going to watch Fortitude when I heard Ben Frost was doing the OST but gently caress watching programmes about snowy landscapes whilst living in a freezing house.

Favourite part of Weekly Wipe was the almost blasphemic Churchill stuff.

I can imagine the home counties sixty something who got BoJo's book for Xmas switching over to it and having a moment.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

stevey666 posted:

I like it; I haven't read the book and am more unfamiliar with that period and place than I should be, and it reminds me of The Godfather in the way I kinda can't follow or anticipate things. Sounds negative, but I do enjoy it. I like the natural lighting.

The only thing I don't like (which can't be helped without creating sets or defacing scheduled buildings) is that the locations are in an old, decaying, decrepit state with bare unpainted stone and crumbling mortar when they should really be more homely and new and maintained.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

stevey666 posted:

It's beautiful. Every single scene filmed by candlelight looks like a painting by Vermeer or something. And Mark Rylance is amazing, his expression of dark, calculating hatred when he watched the masque mocking the cardinals' death and noted oh-so-carefully who was participating and laughing....ugh, it gave me the shivers.

Also, loved his scene with Mary Boleyn. No idea who that actress is, but she was astonishing, a sort of weird mix of sweetness, seductiveness and despair.

the_cow_fan
May 12, 2008
I've genuinely never understood a word johnny Vegas has ever said, am I missing out on his QI bits?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
To look at it's a bit boring. Just straightforward telly-directing which does show off some very nice buildings. It also took 2 hours for Cromwell to get any teeth at all, for too long it was the adventures of the nicest man in the world who just wont stop cradling animals so you know how loving nice this bastard is.
Mark Ryland's a good actor though, I'll give it that.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

the_cow_fan posted:

I've genuinely never understood a word johnny Vegas has ever said, am I missing out on his QI bits?

Sometimes.

His accent's not that bad though, where are you from?

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Ms Boods posted:

That's why I only lasted about 20 seconds into it :smith:

She was on Toast of London and House of Fools. After having watched a good sampling of whatever is on youtube's front page it's a good impression. Good Wipe!

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I can't believe people thought Zeb was real. It was good and a spot on parody, but come on. It was literally a woman wearing a wig making Brooker style jokes for christ's sake

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

What I love about Brooker's shows is that he and his mates actually get this stuff. They don't just throw around words like troll or vlogger to appear relevant.

The Zeb bit was so depressingly true to life.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

justcola posted:

She was on Toast of London and House of Fools. After having watched a good sampling of whatever is on youtube's front page it's a good impression. Good Wipe!

I don't deny/argue against that she was good -- I just couldn't take it for more than about 30 seconds. Perhaps that's a sign of how effective her routine was!

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

Loving Wolf Hall at the moment and want to gush about the costumes for a second. They look amazing. Tudor fashion is so strange to our eyes that it can be really difficult to dress serious characters up in them and have them be taken...well... seriously. Elizabeth with Cate Blanchette also springs to mind as a period drama that totally nails the costumes and as a result has an incredibly menacing tone, hard to do when the whole cast is prancing about in tights and codpieces.

Mr. Squishy posted:

To look at it's a bit boring. Just straightforward telly-directing which does show off some very nice buildings. It also took 2 hours for Cromwell to get any teeth at all, for too long it was the adventures of the nicest man in the world who just wont stop cradling animals so you know how loving nice this bastard is.
Mark Ryland's a good actor though, I'll give it that.

I agree it would have been nice to see Cromwell's nasty bastard side much earlier on. I'm still really glad they took they time to include all the animals and their owner's devotion to them though (or embarrassment in the case of Gregory who wants cooler dogs daaaaad). I think some period dramas tend to focus in way to much on the perceived relentless misery of earlier centuries (I'm looking at you The Mill) and how people were suffering too much or agonising over God too much to have room for pets, singing, games and larking about.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I think that a great many, if not most, productions forget that world-building is just as vital to historical settings as it is to Scifi/Fantasy ones. I'm watching History Channel's Vikings at the moment and they are pulling off a similar trick. Actually managing to create a living, breathing world simply by remembering that while people will always be people, the period they are depicting wasn't just modern sensibilities in funny clothes. And nor was it just relentless poo poo-smeared misery.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I want to like Dara O Briain but his habit of ending every punchline with a "eeaahh" has ruined every show he appears in for me.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I think that a great many, if not most, productions forget that world-building is just as vital to historical settings as it is to Scifi/Fantasy ones. I'm watching History Channel's Vikings at the moment and they are pulling off a similar trick. Actually managing to create a living, breathing world simply by remembering that while people will always be people, the period they are depicting wasn't just modern sensibilities in funny clothes. And nor was it just relentless poo poo-smeared misery.

Deadwood also did this beautifully, to the extent of building a whole western frontier town from scratch.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Such a shame they tore down that set, more or less pretty much killed off any hope for a final episode of movie finish.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches
Josie Long was on 8 out of 10 Cats does Countdown and I cant stand her. Such a twat.

Cucumber is my favourite show at the moment. Banana is ok too, but Scotties story was just a bit creepy imo.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
What did she do? I don't know how anyone could hate her

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back
I'm a big Sharon Horgan and Rob Delaney fan so a bit biased, but Catastrophe is great - really sharp writing and lots of believably lovely characters, like with all Horgan's stuff.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

thehustler posted:

What did she do? I don't know how anyone could hate her

Shes awful and has that smug Im better than you delivery

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back
I like Long generally but also she's v. positive about everything which I can't relate to and her comics in the Guardian are/were abysmal.

e: also her Radio 4 programmes were really bad (maybe I don't like her? Never seen her live)

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Too much time spent with Robin Ince

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006
Josie Long is lovely and I will fight anyone that says otherwise. Would totally be my no. 1 pick for imaginary stand-up comedian best friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:

BizarroAzrael posted:

I just tried watching some of Big Fat Quiz of the Year. I think I'll try again on 4oD later so I can skip through to Jon Snow summarizing pop songs, or just generally for Mel B being quiet. It is brought up that a lot of songs are written about arses, which should be good for a few minutes of chuckles, and she just kills the conversation dead.

Bailey (among others) really shines among Big Fat, QI, and Buzzcocks... Speaking of, this entire thing has me laughing my rear end off. Bill is just... one of my favourite people, but here...
THE WHEELS ON THE OTTER GO UP AN DOWN
i'm not five
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxVjcUkT5E4

Catching up on the Vegas posts, here's the one where he gets clocked, for reference;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mme2ntl4IU&t=580s

Paradox Personified fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Feb 2, 2015