Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

EC posted:

I should add that there's a couple of other financial reasons we'd like to get rid of it as well. During the summer time (which is like, 8 months here in LA) we're spending LOTS of money to keep the yard mowed. Not even really landscaped, but it costs a lot to mow two acres. On top of that, our internet bill is close to $200 for a relatively slow connection. So getting away from those costs would help us enormously as well.

Thanks again for the advice everyone.

Where do you live in south LA? I had a little bit of similar work on a trailer, if you are in the Larose area maybe I can send you the guys who helped me info. They charged $25 an hour for work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuntius
May 7, 2004

(not a fag)
My wife and I were living in Vancouver for the last 3 years but just moved back to the UK. Planned to rent for a while and then slowly look for a place to buy - but we had a place fall through 2 days before move in (landlord suddenly demanded 6 months rent up front and a double deposit - at which point the agent told her that that was not going to happen and dropped her as a client, tearing up our lease) and after that couldn't find a place in the neighbourhood we wanted that would let us keep our dog.

So we bought a house instead. Through a combination of living like hobbits for the last 3 years, 0 student debt (thanks Canada!!!!) and generous contributions from both sides of the family we are 100% cash buyers and move in in 21 days. Which is awesome except....

We own 11 boxes worth of stuff - literally, 11 boxes we shipped back from Canada is everything. Not a stick of furniture, cutlery, crockery, utensils, electrical - and we have no idea how much it's going to cost to furnish this place. We've been trying to make a realistic budget but I have no idea where to start. Our only rule is 'no ikea' - we want to buy lifetime furniture not 5 year furniture. Any advice where to look (uk)?

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

Nuntius posted:

We own 11 boxes worth of stuff - literally, 11 boxes we shipped back from Canada is everything. Not a stick of furniture, cutlery, crockery, utensils, electrical - and we have no idea how much it's going to cost to furnish this place. We've been trying to make a realistic budget but I have no idea where to start. Our only rule is 'no ikea' - we want to buy lifetime furniture not 5 year furniture. Any advice where to look (uk)?

In the US, you'd go to estate sales.

Nuntius
May 7, 2004

(not a fag)

Bozart posted:

In the US, you'd go to estate sales.

That is actually genius, thanks!

Jimmy James
Oct 1, 2004
The man so nice they named him twice.

Nuntius posted:

I've definitely bought a lot of home goods at estate sales and gotten some really good stuff for cheap. In the estates sales where I live, nice things tend to be overpriced, but you can get everyday goods really cheaply.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
A lot of ikea products have 10+ year warranties. They may not be your style, but not all ikea stuff is cheap & disposable.

Personally I love their couches because they have replaceable covers. Really extends the life of the couch if every few years when the pets destroy it you keep. The solid frame and put a brand new cover.

Anyway, my point is that there's more to ikea than cheap bookcases you put in your college apartment, so don't think it's all junk because the cheap stuff didn't last long.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

FISHMANPET posted:

A lot of ikea products have 10+ year warranties. They may not be your style, but not all ikea stuff is cheap & disposable.

Personally I love their couches because they have replaceable covers. Really extends the life of the couch if every few years when the pets destroy it you keep. The solid frame and put a brand new cover.

Anyway, my point is that there's more to ikea than cheap bookcases you put in your college apartment, so don't think it's all junk because the cheap stuff didn't last long.

wish your posts had a ten year replacement warranty lol

Nuntius
May 7, 2004

(not a fag)

FISHMANPET posted:

We furnished our last couple of places with IKEA stuff and I admit that some of it is really good, however, any of the laminate stuff is a no go for true long term use as a single scratch can let moisture in that expands the chip board and causes a lump. My and my friends' tables for instance all had these lumps from normal use within a year.

We bought a decently expensive IKEA couch and although it technically would last for 10 years, a leg broke off when we moved it (the weld was faulty and they replaced it but we had no way to sit on it for 3 weeks while they mailed is the new one) and we could feel the support cushioning getting very loose after about 6 months.

Once you get into ikea solid wood furnitures, the quality/cost balance is not as good as non flat pack manufacturers. And my parents couch, for about twice what we paid, is now 20 years old and solid as a rock despite me using it as a springboard for my teen years. We are looking to spend appropriately now for longevity.

But 100% would buy IKEA again if it was for less than 5 years.

Jimmy James
Oct 1, 2004
The man so nice they named him twice.

Nuntius posted:

We furnished our last couple of places with IKEA stuff and I admit that some of it is really good, however, any of the laminate stuff is a no go for true long term use as a single scratch can let moisture in that expands the chip board and causes a lump. My and my friends' tables for instance all had these lumps from normal use within a year.

We bought a decently expensive IKEA couch and although it technically would last for 10 years, a leg broke off when we moved it (the weld was faulty and they replaced it but we had no way to sit on it for 3 weeks while they mailed is the new one) and we could feel the support cushioning getting very loose after about 6 months.

Once you get into ikea solid wood furnitures, the quality/cost balance is not as good as non flat pack manufacturers. And my parents couch, for about twice what we paid, is now 20 years old and solid as a rock despite me using it as a springboard for my teen years. We are looking to spend appropriately now for longevity.

I'm personally hooked on their foam mattresses. They are cheap and I can always find one that's at least as comfortable as anything else I'd find.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Nuntius posted:

How much do you and your significant other weigh? I think that IKEA furniture may not be designed for the North American norm.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Nuntius posted:

Any advice where to look (uk)?
John Lewis does some reasonable furniture.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

EC posted:

This is all good advice. The thing is, if we're going to stay at the place, I don't want to put the cheapest flooring I can find in. I'd rather wait and spend a little bit more for something that will hold up and look good. So if I'm staying, I'll just wait till I can afford good flooring. If we leave, it doesn't really make sense to do anything, since whoever will buy will either (a) buy the cheapest thing so they can flip it or (b) but whatever they specifically like. Keep in mind that it isn't just flooring. We also need to repaint, redo the bottom molding, etc. Each room will be quite a bit of work.

Oh, I am quite familiar with the work required to get a home into liveable shape. Have a look at mine.

You are probably doing better than me since I have a toaster oven, rice cooker and a camp stove as my "kitchen". They sit on assorted end tables in a spare bedroom.

I like to think I'm living like a pioneer or something... in a real lovely place ahead of something much better.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Antifreeze Head posted:

Oh, I am quite familiar with the work required to get a home into liveable shape. Have a look at mine.

You are probably doing better than me since I have a toaster oven, rice cooker and a camp stove as my "kitchen". They sit on assorted end tables in a spare bedroom.

I like to think I'm living like a pioneer or something... in a real lovely place ahead of something much better.

Ouch, that sucks. Good luck with that, man. Before setting up the kitchen in our utility room we were working out of our bathroom, so I know how you feel.

Nuntius
May 7, 2004

(not a fag)

Citizen Tayne posted:

How much do you and your significant other weigh? I think that IKEA furniture may not be designed for the North American norm.

75kg each. Totally not the issue

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Nuntius posted:

I highly recommend just hitting estate sales and thrift stores to start, and get yourself enough furniture and housewares to become functional. You'll likely have a lot of "I just moved to a new place" expenses the next few months. Once those have cleared out, you can gradually shop for and upgrade your furnishings and stuff as you like and as your budget affords, without feeling the pressure to buy something today so you have a place to sleep or a pot to cook in.

My own home is furnished with a gradually diminishing supply of hand-me-down furniture and housewares, and a gradually-increasing supply of purchased-new nice stuff that we take our time finding and can wait for sales and bargains and be indecisive about. If I'd had to buy a whole household at once, I'd have sunk a lot of money into probably a lot of stuff that wasn't quite what I wanted, but due to the sunk cost, would not want to replace for a long time.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Looking to buy a two bedroom flat in London, probably on a shared ownership scheme. I'm pretty sure I can sort it out so they'll accept that I can afford the payments myself, but I'll definitely be renting the second room out to someone. Finding a person to rent off me shouldn't be hard. It might be technically against their rules, but I've heard from many people that it's still doable and the housing associations will never even find out or even care as long as you're making your payments and aren't antisocial. What I'm more scared about though is the taxman finding out and doing me when they find out I've not been paying any tax on this extra income I'd be getting from the incoming rent. I'd tell them, but I don't know how I'd be able to just tell the taxman without telling the housing association.

Anyone got any experience with this?

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

sharktamer posted:

Looking to buy a two bedroom flat in London, probably on a shared ownership scheme. I'm pretty sure I can sort it out so they'll accept that I can afford the payments myself, but I'll definitely be renting the second room out to someone. Finding a person to rent off me shouldn't be hard. It might be technically against their rules, but I've heard from many people that it's still doable and the housing associations will never even find out or even care as long as you're making your payments and aren't antisocial. What I'm more scared about though is the taxman finding out and doing me when they find out I've not been paying any tax on this extra income I'd be getting from the incoming rent. I'd tell them, but I don't know how I'd be able to just tell the taxman without telling the housing association.

Anyone got any experience with this?

You'd tell the taxman by completing a self-assessment tax return. HMRC won't pass your information on to the housing association, so you'd be fine on that front. That said, I don't think what you're proposing is terribly smart because you're assuming that the housing association will remain indifferent to you breaking their rules for as long as you live in the flat, which seems like a hell of a thing to bet your financial health on. They may not notice or care now, but how can you guarantee they won't change their attitude in a year's time? Would you be able to afford the mortgage if they did come down on your subletting?

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
I can afford it on my own, I'd have to prove that to begin with anyway to even buy in the first place. Letting the second room out would just be to get some extra income on an otherwise empty room.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

What happens to you if you have a dispute with a tenant and the tenant realizes that he can effectively blackmail you by threatening to go to your housing association? What happens if you have a dispute with a tenant and you need to engage in legal recourse?

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
Why do you want to buy a two bedroom when you don't need the second one? Why not just buy a one bedroom, and if you need a two bedroom, move into one and let out the one bedroom?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Long story short: My GF and I are starting to think about buying a place.

Biggest hurdle is a down-payment. Right now, we are crammed into a small 1-bedroom place, we are able to save about a thousand bucks a month between the two of us over living in a more expensive 2-bedroom, but we hate it. It's is so tiny, and with two people's stuff in there, it's basically just boxes everywhere and will be for as long as we're there.

The lease is up in June...by then, the savings of being crammed into the tiny place will be about $4000. I am also going to set aside the entirety of my federal and state tax return, so there's another $1800. Her tax return will land her another $1000. In addition, I'm on a twice-weekly pay schedule, so January was one of those "three paycheck" months. Since my budget is built entirely around only getting 2 a month, that's an extra ~$1300 I can set aside as well.

Combined that saved money from the next few months with what we both already have saved, and we can scrape together about $10,000. I'd certainly like to have more, since if our budget is in the $200,000 range, that's only 5%.

So my question is:

I have an old retirement account (403(b)) from my last job that I can no longer contribute money towards. I was thinking about turning it into a Roth IRA anyway, so would it be a horrible idea to roll it into a Roth IRA, then take out the money from the newly created IRA to go towards the down payment?

I know that I'd have to pay taxes on the money, since it was a pre-tax account. But I shouldn't have to pay any other early-withdraw penalties if I turn it into a Roth IRA before taking it out, right?

Or is that just the stupidest idea ever? If I leave the money where it is, it won't turn into a lot for retirement, so it should be rolled into some other type of retirement account anyway so I can put money into it. But I'm wondering if it's really worth it to then take the money for a bigger down payment.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

DrBouvenstein posted:

So my question is:

I have an old retirement account (403(b)) from my last job that I can no longer contribute money towards. I was thinking about turning it into a Roth IRA anyway, so would it be a horrible idea to roll it into a Roth IRA, then take out the money from the newly created IRA to go towards the down payment?

I know that I'd have to pay taxes on the money, since it was a pre-tax account. But I shouldn't have to pay any other early-withdraw penalties if I turn it into a Roth IRA before taking it out, right?

Or is that just the stupidest idea ever? If I leave the money where it is, it won't turn into a lot for retirement, so it should be rolled into some other type of retirement account anyway so I can put money into it. But I'm wondering if it's really worth it to then take the money for a bigger down payment.
I'm pretty sure you would have to wait 5 years after converting it to a Roth IRA before you could withdraw the rollover without penalty. That's how it works when converting a 401(k) to Roth IRA, I assume it's the same for a 403(b) but not positive.

But yeah, it's usually not a great idea to use retirement funds for something other than retirement. Sort of a slippery slope situation.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

DrBouvenstein posted:

I would never dip into retirement funds for a house purchase. My first home I was all the "great investment" mindset. I dumped about 20k into it finishing basement and doing other bits here and there, and I still came to the closing table with a 7k wire transfer.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

DrBouvenstein posted:

Biggest hurdle is a down-payment. Right now, we are crammed into a small 1-bedroom place, we are able to save about a thousand bucks a month between the two of us over living in a more expensive 2-bedroom, but we hate it. It's is so tiny, and with two people's stuff in there, it's basically just boxes everywhere and will be for as long as we're there.

The lease is up in June...by then, the savings of being crammed into the tiny place will be about $4000. I am also going to set aside the entirety of my federal and state tax return, so there's another $1800. Her tax return will land her another $1000. In addition, I'm on a twice-weekly pay schedule, so January was one of those "three paycheck" months. Since my budget is built entirely around only getting 2 a month, that's an extra ~$1300 I can set aside as well.

Combined that saved money from the next few months with what we both already have saved, and we can scrape together about $10,000. I'd certainly like to have more, since if our budget is in the $200,000 range, that's only 5%.

So my question is:

It doesn't sound like you can really afford a house right now. Are you guys planning to co-borrow?

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Don't buy a house with someone you are not married to. I did it and when she turned insane (immediately after moving in), I got out of it pretty lucky ($6000 all told). It's terrible. Never buy a house with someone who doesn't already own half your poo poo through marriage. It could have hosed me for the duration of the 30 year mortgage.

I cannot stress this enough. Do not do it. Not even with a fiance. Husband and Wife, or only one of you on the title and mortgage. Don't do the fancy bullshit where one of you is on the title but not the mortgage either, that's completely hosed and the realtor tried talking me into that.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Spermy Smurf posted:

Don't buy a house with someone you are not married to. I did it and when she turned insane (immediately after moving in), I got out of it pretty lucky ($6000 all told). It's terrible. Never buy a house with someone who doesn't already own half your poo poo through marriage. It could have hosed me for the duration of the 30 year mortgage.

I cannot stress this enough. Do not do it. Not even with a fiance. Husband and Wife, or only one of you on the title and mortgage. Don't do the fancy bullshit where one of you is on the title but not the mortgage either, that's completely hosed and the realtor tried talking me into that.

These are all true and correct things.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Yeah, that's what I figured.

I don't think our plan was to get everything in my name (I've got great credit, no bad things on the report and about an 800 credit score).

The big problem is that the rental market here is so lovely. Getting a moderately decent apartment for the two of us (i.e., not the shitbox we're in now) basically means we can't save much money, which means even longer, or never, until we can afford a place.

I know that home-owning isn't the end-all, be-all, but God drat if I'm not sick of renting for the past 12 years of my life and would like to have a place that I can call my own.

All that 50's cornball poo poo about "The American Dream" has infected my brain...:negative:

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum
Down payment notwithstanding if you think you can afford to buy a $200k house then you can probably find a similar house to rent. Even if it costs a little more I'll echo the Do Not Buy With A Girlfriend sentiment. Mortgage commitments are a lot more legally binding than relationship commitments. Even being married doesn't free you from risk. Sometimes marriages don't work out. In 2004 I married my first wife and came within a whisker of buying a house with her in Temecula (65 miles from where I work). That's where she wanted to be and where she was comfortable living. I offered $410k on a house that eventually sold for $425k. We decided to rent instead.

Fast forward 2 years. We were divorced. I lost my job as a result of the subsequent depression and had to close my ~$70k 401k to pay my taxes and most of all the debt that resulted from a failed marriage. After the penalties I was still left with a $15k tax bill that i had to pay off over the next 3 years. I finally got out of debt in 2009. If somehow I avoided the miserable depression getting the better of me and was able to stay on top of the mortgage payments I'd currently be about $200k under water on a house 65 miles from work living in a town that reminds me of my ex-wife with no local friends to speak of. But frankly given how depressing the whole situation was on its own, I think being stuck with that mortgage and living in a house so far from my work and friends I'm almost certain I would have killed myself. Fast forward 8 more years. I checked the house's history on Redfin. It was foreclosed in 2007 and sold by the bank for $165k. The current estimated value is $140k.

Just a tale of caution. None of us know what the future holds. Don't stretch your means to buy a house. Don't put all your faith into another person. As much as possible plan your future so that financially you could handle things without them and your income.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

DrBouvenstein posted:

I know that home-owning isn't the end-all, be-all, but God drat if I'm not sick of renting for the past 12 years of my life and would like to have a place that I can call my own.

Have you considered looking into downpayment assistance grants? I don't know about other states, but most counties in Florida will give you 8k if you make under $36,000, and there are grants all the way up to 2.5X the poverty level. Also, look at the city level as well. There are certain economic zones that will qualify you for interest free rennovation loans and other forms of sweet government cheese.

Echoing what everyone is saying about co owning with a not-wife. Co-owning with a wife is terrifying enough.

OneWhoKnows
Dec 6, 2006
I choo choo choooose you!

DrBouvenstein posted:

So my question is:

I won't speak to the GF portion since I did this with my then girlfriend/now wife and there are good arguments for "no" on retirement money being used.

I'd recommend waiting until you save 25-30% in the range you're looking at just for the sake of having wiggle room. With our first home, we went with an FHA 3.5% down in a house we owned for 5 years, we knew it was a starter home and we also had the benefit of that $8k first-time homebuyers credit. Looking at MIP payments, it really was a good chunk of change being paid just to have a lower down payment.

My argument for having more than 20% is for sanity's sake. Homebuying can be a dreadful process, especially if you find a house that you've fallen in love with that appraises lower than expected and the seller isn't willing to budge. If the price is acceptable to you, the options you have are to: a) bring more money to the table b) try a new lender with a new appraisal or c) walk away. Also, when buying a house it's always a good idea to have money set aside for unexpected home repairs and furnishings.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

OneWhoKnows posted:

I won't speak to the GF portion

I will. I didn't buy my house with my girlfriend, I bought it all by myself and we both moved in. Really good decision, as we split up a few years later. She didn't go insane, she was perfectly fine and gracious throughout, but it still would have been a huge clusterfuck.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I know I started the girlfriend chat, but holy poo poo it's the #1 mistake of my entire life... co-borrowing, co-title, and then a horrible breakup where she hated me and wanted to ruin my life. I'm 32, and that was the absolute dumbest thing I've ever done in my life.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Interest rates are very low, bite the bullet and get an FHA loan in your name with 3% of your girlfriends money as down payment. If you are lucky insane inflation will wipe out your debt and your girlfriend will get a better job and let you drink all the time while watching the kids.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
I split up with my boyfriend after buying a house together and it wasn't too bad, I just refinanced in my name and paid him with a check for his share of the equity. I guess I don't see marriage as any better or worse in that regard; if you split up you'll have to deal with it somehow. Just be prepared in case it happens because if you have a lovely breakup it's going to be lovely to deal with financial stuff whether or not you're married.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
One of my old coworkers cosigned for a vehicle with his girlfriend at the time and even though it's been like 6 years since, it continues to ruin his financial life. She refused to make payments on it after they split and she kept it, she then totaled it and demanded he take care of all the issues with that, and then she and her new boyfriend sued him for selling the scrap from the wreck.

Do Never Cosign

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

Others have addressed the girlfriend aspect. I didn't marry my now-wife until we'd been together for 11 years, so I'll allow that there is plenty of room for someone to have a lifetime, committed relationship without being legally married, but the important part is that you need to have lived with someone for a while, and know exactly what they're like to live with, and have aligned plans, etc. before you do a non-married joint purchase of real estate.

More importantly is your financial situation:

quote:

By my math, your "we can save $1k a month" will have only been going for four to six months when you get to June, which is in five months. So I think what you are saying is that you actually have only saved about $2000 up to now. All the rest is extra paychecks and tax returns and your projections for the next five months. I do not think you have demonstrated as a couple or individually that you can consistently budget for a large amount of savings every month. I'm not saying you have to prove something: only that projected math on-paper often doesn't work out in-practice. It's easy to figure out your usual monthly expenses and make a budget based on that, but everyone also has occasional non-revolving expenses that affect your long-term ability to save, and you need to save for a year or more before you'll really know how much you can save on an annualized basis.

Worse, you seem to be only looking at the down payment. It costs a lot more than a down payment to buy a house. You may need to cover closing costs, you will need to cover the costs of inspections, and very few houses are so move-in ready that there are no up-front costs to getting it in shape for you to move in: poo poo like appliances, paint, cleaning, etc. all costs money.

For a $200k house you should budget ~$8k to $12k just to cover the fees and expenses and taxes and costs of purchasing, above and beyond your down payment. You should also make sure you have several thousand dollars left after you move in, because nobody should own a house with no cash savings. poo poo can and will break, homes have to be maintained, and the most likely time for things to break are immediately after a period of non-occupation. My wife and I were lucky: we had a pipe burst under the house two weeks after we moved in, and that was the worst thing we had to fix. You might have to replace a furnace, or patch the roof, or have a sewer line excavated. Inspections help to find these problems before you finalize your purchase, but inspections of a home you don't own yet cannot be invasive, e.g. the inspector cannot punch holes in walls to inspect wiring and plumbing, so most inspections will miss things. Hopefully minor things, but... yeah, you need cash savings at all times when you own a home.

Moving also costs money, and if you and your girlfriend fit in a single room, even with boxes piled everywhere, I'm going to guess you don't have a whole house's worth of furniture and furnishings. Do yourselves a favor and budget a few grand for furniture, pots & pans, rugs, etc. If you buy a house with a yard you'll find yourselves spending a few hundred on poo poo like hoses, rakes, a lawn mower, and so on. You might need light fixtures for the garage, or blinds/curtains for several windows, a new shower curtain, cleaning supplies, it all adds up. Ignoring what we spent to re-finish the hardwood floors, my wife and I still spent a couple thousand at home depot within the first six months of moving in, on all this sort of bullshit, and we had already been living together in a 650 square foot house for 8 years, so we already had furniture, kitchen stuff, a bed, etc.

A 20% down payment is the ideal situation. With interest rates super-low, and with excellent credit, you can get away with less; you'll want to pay down the mortgage as quickly as you can, to get rid of PMI/MIP, but you can get away with 10% down or even less. What you can't get away with is using every last penny you've saved, plus raiding your retirement money, just to cover your down payment. That's completely inadequate.

quote:

Yes, this is a terrible idea. You're suggesting trading your tax-advantaged retirement savings, and the excellent appreciation that money will gain over your working lifetime, into the sunk costs and much riskier prospects of a single piece of real estate. Houses nationwide over the last hundred years, after adjusting for inflation, average something on the order of 1 to 2 percent annual appreciation. A well-balanced portfolio of low-cost, passive index mutual funds will average something on the order of 5 to 7% after inflation. Houses suck as investment vehicles and you're trading very diversified investing for the most concentratedly non-diverse investment possible: a single physical asset, one which costs money to maintain, is annually taxed, has huge transactional costs (especially to sell), and is extremely illiquid.

I'll be bold and just declare outright that nobody should ever raid their retirement money to buy a house. If you can't afford to buy a house using non-retirement savings, then you can't afford a house, period. Adjust your plans: earn more, or move somewhere cheaper, or spend less so you can save more, or accept that you will be renting for the forseeable future.

quote:

If I leave the money where it is, it won't turn into a lot for retirement, so it should be rolled into some other type of retirement account anyway so I can put money into it.

You should definitely do a rollover. You could roll over into a traditional IRA if you want to avoid paying taxes now, or a Roth IRA if that makes more sense. Either way, a self-directed IRA at Vanguard will give you much better investment options than you likely have in your current plan. Put your money into low-expense-ratio passively managed index mutual funds: a balance of international and domestic, a balance of stock vs. bonds, depending on your age and risk profile. See the long-term investing thread for more details.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jan 30, 2015

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Everything in life involves some degree of risk, whether its a long term relationship, marriage, buying a house, sky diving, whatever.

The issue with co-purchasing big ticket items with a non-spouse is that there are legal mechanisms in place for when married individuals go their separate ways (here in Texas, they're called "temporary orders" and "divorce decrees") and every state recognizes some degree of protocol for who is responsible for what until all the outstanding issues are resolved, and has tools in place to punish people who don't follow those rules.

The legal mechanisms for non-married persons, at least here in Texas and I assume most places save maybe CA and NJ are more akin to:

In Texas, by way of example, when non-married, co-owners of a piece of real estate want to split up, both would generally have possessory rights to the property, but neither can force the other to buy their individual half, and so by law neither can force the other to leave, either.

You can bring a partition suit, to force the the sale of your 50%, but even if you win, who the gently caress is going to buy half of someone else's house that only has 12% equity? You basically have to hope one side gets tired of the other, and decides to refi to purchase their half and buy our their equity, or hope that another side engages in enough bad behavior to warrant an inequitable partition of some kind.

If you're filing for divorce instead, the judge can enter a temporary order awarding possession of the house, ordering one person to assume the mortgage responsibilities, and you're done.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Let's assume that I have carte blanche as a buyer to specify a 1yr home warranty company and product paid for by the seller. Who do I go through?

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
The warranties all suck. I had one from HWA (I even renewed it for a year because I knew poo poo was going to break) and they were pretty easy to work with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum
When my furnace had problems the home warranty authorized only the cheapest replacement parts so now I have some circuit board from China in there. Occasionally it completely ignores what I set on the thermostat but mostly it works I guess.