Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Subjunctive posted:

why do you need to be unsafe for that? you're banging on some byte buffers, that's fine in managed code.

I don't have the slightest idea, but I found the source code, and it's giving me a headache

e: jesus, had almost forgotten about the k-means++ color reducer, the bespoke monochrome converter and all the other insanity

e2: I guess it's the kind of C# code a C++ programmer would write, pining for C++ template functions the whole time

e3: iirc the microsoft resource compiler hated icons with embedded pngs anyway, and I had to use windres from mingw, and link the icon as a separate .res file

e4: I'm a bad programmer is the moral

hackbunny fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Jan 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

Subjunctive posted:

why do you need to be unsafe for that? you're banging on some byte buffers, that's fine in managed code.

bounds checks will kill your performance

not that it really matters when just doing a couple 256x256 images but start processing much larger ones in bulk and it gets to be an issue

add a near-real-time requirement and it's practically mandatory to use unsafe code

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Dessert Rose posted:

not that it really matters when just doing a couple 256x256 images but start processing much larger ones in bulk and it gets to be an issue

add a near-real-time requirement and it's practically mandatory to use unsafe code

it was totally unnecessary in my case, but I used to have an obsession with zero-copy, and Bitmap.LockBits in read-only mode could guarantee that (... if GDI+ used a DIB section for that bitmap). I also have an irrational prejudice against getpixel/setpixel methods since reading that article on how solitaire used to take 100% cpu on nt 3.1 with its victory animation, because it used getpixel/setpixel instead of manipulating bits in memory

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I used unsafe once because I had a very fast c++ library heck borderline application but I wanted to use something pleasant and not painful to set up and tear down all the data to it and also manage the parallelism and so forth so I used c# for the bits it was great at and c++ for the bits it was great at and that program was my magnum opus

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
i cant find the podcast thread so....
gimme some good programming podcasts to listen to whilst doing dull repetitive workjogging

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
here they are:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Dessert Rose posted:

I thought the .NET JIT did a really good job hoisting or eliminating bounds checks these days. The bounds check itself is pretty cheap and very friendly to modern (x64) architectures as well; IIRC it's a fused compare/jump that's easily predicted and plays nicely with speculative execution. it used to be that you wanted to use certain patterns in your loops to trigger the elimination, but I think that's much more flexible in modern CLR too.

but yeah, I'd understand if it were a high-throughput pipeline and pinvoking to a tuned C++ library wasn't an option. it didn't sound like that was the case.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

gimme some good programming podcasts to listen to whilst doing dull repetitive workjogging

the Good Omens radio show was decent, Pratchett and Gaiman have cameos :3

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

there was good jogging podcast
about history of korea though

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
there are no good podcasts on any subject.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
my boss once told me that he listens to the leo laporte podcast during his commute. i lost a lil respect for him that day

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

it's me i'm the podcaster

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
wtf everybody is supposed to listen to Uhh Yeah Dude on their commute

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Isn't radiolab a thing that is good? I haven't listened to it but I know people I don't hate who like it.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

MononcQc posted:

it's me i'm the podcaster

can't find your podcast

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

can't find your podcast

I'm frequently invited to talk (and mostly complain) on Mostly Erlang. I don't particularly recommend it unless you're really into hearing people spend one hour talking about pet libraries in Erlang and stuff like that. I'm kind of amazed it gets listeners at all in the first place.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Bloody posted:

Isn't radiolab a thing that is good? I haven't listened to it but I know people I don't hate who like it.

people around here do not like radiolab. i believe shaggar hates them extra

there are good podcasts out there; i like comedy podcasts for commuting

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
lol if your commute is long enough for any podcasts

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

looks like the plan is i gotta fly back to the central office on the regular, which leaves plenty of time for binging on podcasts

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

i don't get to listen to a whole podcast on one trip

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Bloody posted:

i used to like radiolab a lot when i listened to it in the car while driving. i was highly distracted (by the task of driving) so all the weird voiceovers and jump cuts were entertaining

listening to the same content in my living room, with my full attention, it's extremely irritating

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
hi from fosdem

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

tef posted:

hi from fosdem

tell them hi from yospos

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
python tools for visual studio (ptvs) is some goddamn loving win!!!
i honestly thought it was going to be some half assed syntax highlighting plugin but it's the full package.

thanks Microsoft

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome

tef posted:

hi from fosdem

what's a fosdem

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
fosdem? i barely knew'em

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

rotor posted:

what's a fosdem

a type of bear.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

rotor posted:

what's a fosdem

A place for Linux developers to drink too much and eat too many waffles, while getting their employer to pay for it since you can claim it on an education budget.
Though in my case there's also a bit of advertising for my employer, since I'm speaking there this year.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I went twice and hated it both times.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

tef posted:

hi from fosdem

fosdem posting blues

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

tef posted:

hi from fosdem

Hi back. Did you see anything horrible yet?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

it's literally never occurred to me that i would want to listen to a programming podcast

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Bloody posted:

it's just up its own rear end. it's guts are pretty good so it's not a bad rear end to be in but it can get annoying.

99% invisible is the same way sorta except i can actually tolerate radiolab. 99% is usually about something interesting but i cannot stand roman mars.

everything else has kinda been a letdown. i like probably science but i also hate it a lot because while it's sometimes good, othertimes it's just redditors talking.

the bugle is the only thing i am 100% behind.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

it's literally never occurred to me that i would want to listen to a programming podcast

I'd be ok with listening to a podcast starring brian kernighan telling stories about things going wrong

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I don't know if a programming podcast isn't a flawed premise because I like to look at examples

if you're just talking about programming without scribbling and showing code snippets it's probably boring shallow stuff

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Symbolic Butt posted:

I don't know if a programming podcast isn't a flawed premise because I like to look at examples

if you're just talking about programming without scribbling and showing code snippets it's probably boring shallow stuff

discussion of high level concepts is pretty important and something i have a really hard time absorbing when i'm reading up on code because i usually just want to skip to the code examples so i dont know maybe i need both.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

idk tef has a good talk or two that can be listened to probably

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Bloody posted:

idk tef has a good talk or two that can be listened to probably

where can i find a teftalk

TEFx

next tef

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

where can i find a teftalk

TEFx

next tef

i think theres a newer version of this somewhere but this is the one i can find https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csyL9EC0S0c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Arcsech posted:

i think theres a newer version of this somewhere but this is the one i can find https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csyL9EC0S0c

thank you

also thank you tef. i'm really really glad that i have access to your knowledge but more than anything your attitude and approach to programming and other programmers inspires me as a programmer and you're an asset to this terrible forum