Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

he's actually testing for a one-off drive

in brazil

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ellspurs
Sep 12, 2007
Kappa :o

IceAgeComing posted:

i suppose we now know why they announced the barnhart thing yesterday ;)

e: here's indycar's initial statement, in .jpg form

I like how they spelt "cancelled" correctly.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Fixed the schedule listing in the OP.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Oh, IndyCar. At least they got the money up front.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Looking good.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

what in the absolute gently caress, guys

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

It would own if Interlagos just randomly decided to step in.

DW-12's on that track would look bitching.

gently caress off Bernie.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Also, Fire Mark Miles, and Hire Dan Anderson to run the whole drat show.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

be nice wicka posted:

what in the absolute gently caress, guys

Next up, introducing the new IndyCar aerokits:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

gret posted:

Next up, introducing the new IndyCar aerokits:

The aerokits being hideous is something that legitimately might be right around the bend and im fearful.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

look on the bright side, no one really liked the way the DW12 looked when it was announced, but then it raced very well

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The DW12 isn't great looking but those 2003-2011 IRL cars are the worst single-seaters ever made.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

What the hell is Mile's and BCG's "vision" anyways? (and this will be quoted with a picture of a flaming trash can..so yeah).

But I'm being serious. It doesn't feel like he truly has something picked out as to how the series should go. I mean USAC with Tony Hulman kind of had some form of a direction it was going, same with CART with Dan Gurney's white paper, and Roger's guidance.

What the hell does the Hulman family want to do with this series and the 500 as an event?

It just seems to me the best option would be to leave the Indy 500 as an Independently ran race with a big rear end purse, and for the IndyCar Series to be a fully independent series.

Hulman Co. could pour all of it's resources on promoting the "Month of May", While VICS could actually hire some half way competent people to come up with events outside of Indy, and work on the technical side of things. (READ: Dan Anderson and Derrick Walker).

The only wrench would be Hulman Co. going 1979 or 1996 on all of this poo poo, but one would hope that Tony George would keep his mouth shut, and focus on doing what he should have done in 1996. (be a team owner).

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jan 30, 2015

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Alain Post posted:

The DW12 isn't great looking but those 2003-2011 IRL cars are the worst single-seaters ever made.

I can't really get used to the semi-enclosed rear but eh, good racing.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

one new thing from the updated indycar statement on the Brazil thing (available on their website)

quote:

Although we have not received formal confirmation from our partners in Brazil regarding the cancellation, economically INDYCAR is protected and the paddock is protected from such action.

The first bit shows how odd this whole thing is; the last bit implies that Indycar has received at least a significant share of the sanctioning fee which is something, at least. Although why would you cancel the event having already paid lots of money to the series hosting the event?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Interlagos is undergoing renovations, namely to the pit lane, which is why the WEC isn't going to Brazil this year but Germany instead. Work started right after the WEC finale last November.

It's all so odd, I wonder if the final touches on the track just weren't done. Selling well, it's money out of pocket to the promoters, why else would they have backed out? Strange.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

My understanding is that the promoters are as bemused about the whole thing as indycar and the fans are. The Brasilian city council was supposed to be funding the renovation but apparently have big budget problems so probably pulled out because they couldn't afford it (source: random brazilian people on the indycar Facebook). Also the pictures seemed to show that the track was easily more than two months away from being finished - they were still pulling down building where the pit lane is supposed to be and the track seems to be completely unpaved. Perhaps they could have listened to some of the fans and made it a dirt track race...

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I am all for the 500 to become an independent race with unique rules that exists in, but is separate from, an Indycar points series.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
Here's the full statement from IndyCar I received last night:

quote:

STATEMENT FROM INDYCAR ON BRASÍLIA EVENT

INDIANAPOLIS (Jan. 29, 2015) - Today's announcement by BAND that the March 8 INDYCAR race in Brasília was cancelled was both unexpected and disappointing. INDYCAR had received every indication that the race was already a success: Two-thirds of the seats available for the event had already been sold; a title sponsor for the event (ITAIPAVA) was announced yesterday; hospitality was sold out; and track construction was progressing and scheduled to be complete in time for the event. Although we have not received formal confirmation from our partners in Brazil regarding the cancellation, economically INDYCAR is protected and the paddock is protected from such action.

Also CFH Racing is expected to make a big announcement today at 10am Eastern. Assumption is that they're announcing who will be driving the #20 on road courses.

Double edit: Luca Filippi has been confirmed as the road/street course driver for the #20, replacing Mike Conway.

KingShibby fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jan 30, 2015

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
Screw the doublepost, but some news dropping this morning:

• CFH Racing confirms the signing of Luca Filippi to co-drive the Fuzzy's #20 on Road/Street Courses. This role was previously held by Mike Conway who actually won races
  • In addition to giving $3k to Conor Daly for a testdrive at SPM, Marco Andretti is changing car numbers.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...
marco can change car numbers all he wants he's still really bad

simble
May 11, 2004

How will this new number help him not blow up engines?

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

simble posted:

How will this new number help him not blow up engines?

Pretty sure Hinch didn't blow nearly as many engines as Marco, so maybe Hinch's number will help Marco (also in the ladies department)

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

I am all for the 500 to become an independent race with unique rules that exists in, but is separate from, an Indycar points series.

Serious or joking?

I think that would be seriously the best case scenario for both. Just have a set of rules for IMS that would make it relatively cheap to get a car, yet have them be VICS-compatible. You could have teams/drivers like Lazier Racing just show up for May, and limit costs for them.

I do think that would also help the "Month of May" become a legitimate thing instead of just a weekend.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

FuzzySkinner posted:

I think that would be seriously the best case scenario for both. Just have a set of rules for IMS that would make it relatively cheap to get a car, yet have them be VICS-compatible. You could have teams/drivers like Lazier Racing just show up for May, and limit costs for them.

Allowing teams to just show up in May and race in the 500 is a joke and cheapens the 500. There should be a requirement that any one-off entry for the 500 is also required to race in the other Triple Crown races (Pocono/Fontana).

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

How about we set aside 8 spots for them on the 500 grid?

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

KingShibby posted:

Allowing teams to just show up in May and race in the 500 is a joke and cheapens the 500. There should be a requirement that any one-off entry for the 500 is also required to race in the other Triple Crown races (Pocono/Fontana).

I disagree with this. One offs should be allowed.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...

KingShibby posted:

How does it cheapen the 500? It shows that the Indy 500 is more important than throwaway races at Pocono and Fontana, because it is.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

KingShibby posted:

Just get rid of road courses altogether, in that case. IndyCar would be much more popular and relevant in America if it were an all-oval series.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
In my mind it cheapens the 500 because spectators only get to see these drivers once a year. If they could field 33 at Pocono and Fontana, it would make the Triple Crown really mean something, not to mention making the races more exciting.

I for one would love to see Townsend Bell race 3x a year instead of 1x

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

KingShibby posted:

In my mind it cheapens the 500 because spectators only get to see these drivers once a year. If they could field 33 at Pocono and Fontana, it would make the Triple Crown really mean something, not to mention making the races more exciting.

I for one would love to see Townsend Bell race 3x a year instead of 1x

Problem is money and possible schedule conflict. Bell's primary series is IMSA and that would come first over Pocono or California. And tell these sponsors to pay for a race that'll get a fraction of the viewing of Indy for the other races.

Also Indy has always been about the one offs doing something. Don't think it has ever cheapened it ever.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
How about a compromise where 25 spots in the 500 are reserved for full-time entries

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Alain Post posted:

How about a compromise where 25 spots in the 500 are reserved for full-time entries

Heh.

e: Lights car also looks sharp in oval trim:

http://www.racer.com/north-american-racing/item/113030-juncos-racing-s-kaiser-paces-indy-lights-oval-test

Cygni fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jan 30, 2015

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

KingShibby posted:

the triple crown is stupid an no one except people living still in 1975 give a gently caress about it

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

WindyMan posted:

Just get rid of road courses altogether, in that case. IndyCar would be much more popular and relevant in America if it were an all-oval series.

say such things in hushed tones lest the inquisitors hear thee

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

VikingSkull posted:

Oh who cares, it's all loving doomed anyway. :eng99:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

go3 posted:

the triple crown is stupid an no one except people living still in 1975 give a gently caress about it

nobody at all cares about it, but its fun.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/113037-indycar-series-working-on-contingency-plan-after-brazil-cancellation

quote:

With the March 6-8 event unexpectedly wiped from the calendar, IndyCar can either look to replace the race at an alternate site – somewhere in North America – or wait until St. Petersburg (pictured) on March 27-29 to effectively turn Round 2 into Round 1.

RACER has confirmed the series has spoken with Circuit of The Americas, which is set to host the Pirelli World Challenge opener on the same weekend Brazil was meant to take place, as a possible venue to start its season. Other circuits have also been contacted to gauge their interest and availability.

Lemons ---> Lemonade

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
IndyCar at COTA over Eddie Gossage and Bernie's dead bodies. I'd rather they race at Phoenix or Sebring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

VikingSkull posted:

Let us instead exercise our brains and try to solve this tantalizing conundrum.

• Locked thread