Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Apple Pie Hubbub posted:

Makes sense. Netanyahu already has nukes.

Disarming Israel's nukes would reduce the incentive for Iran from building their own so the plan sounds pretty solid.

JaggerMcDagger posted:

After 70 Years?!!

It is both sad and shocking that 70 years after Auschwitz, a cartoon like today's could or would be relevant.
Labels: antisemitism, Auschwitz, Europe, Israel, Jewish State, Shuldig

He isn't far off. 70 years ago Israel wasn't rael.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vogon Poet
Jun 18, 2004

Someone bought me this custom title because they think I kick ass at Photoshop. They happen to be right.
Jarlsberg is so predictably crass that I knew after reading the first panel that the punchline would involve pubic hair.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

JaggerMcDagger posted:

After 70 Years?!!

It is both sad and shocking that 70 years after Auschwitz, a cartoon like today's could or would be relevant.
Labels: antisemitism, Auschwitz, Europe, Israel, Jewish State, Shuldig

Wait, Kirsch-dude, is Israel the safest haven for Jews in the world, or a fortress constantly beset and bombed by the Moslem hordes?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Both, just like Masada!

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

"Thank" you for the Hapajap retrospective, wow. The evolution one is just :psyduck:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Is that artist japanese?

Because he seems to be drawing himself as...uh...something out of a WW2 propaganda poster.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
Let's take a minute to catch up on the next best cartoonist after JRRose!

Some of these might be repeats, I just went back to the one I knew i recognized - the big square elephant in the room.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Everyone knows Big Business loooooves bureaucracy. Yup, nothing for-profit corporations love more than wading through red tape and regulations. Yes indeed.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

VitalSigns posted:

Is that artist japanese?

Half-Japanese. So it's okay if he's racist!

There are starbucks and iphones in France, but he shouldn't expect to find any wal*mart.

It's not like it's a detail he could have checked in two minutes with the Internet.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jan 30, 2015

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

But Obama _is_ a President Fudd.

See? Shotgun, used for sports. Not a manly self defense gun.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Ahahaha okay are we sure this isn't from the Onion?

I wonder if political cartoonists in 1862 were drawing a plantation gate locking behind a black family on the street going "but...but who will take care of us now", while Lincoln and the Plantation Owner split a bag of money marked "savings on room and board".

"Heh heh heh"

:cryingcolumbia:

Edit:quoted the wrong cartoon

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jan 30, 2015

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

It has been suggested before that Rob Smith Jr is a deep-cover troll because of how crazy and inept he is.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

alnilam posted:

It has been suggested before that Rob Smith Jr is a deep-cover troll because of how crazy and inept he is.

His Obama is up there with Rameriz and Rall in terms of not looking like Obama. Looks more like the Grinch.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Kajeesus posted:

Wait, Kirsch-dude, is Israel the safest haven for Jews in the world, or a fortress constantly beset and bombed by the Moslem hordes?

Yes.

Acropolis
Feb 21, 2014

Muir decided the best way to further endear his characters to his audience was to make the coincidence that Sam Elliott and StrawWomanLiburul both want to hang around. Have his characters assume SWL is trying to gold dig Sam Elliott. Then making his protagonist bums panic and scramble to grub all the money they can before trying to break up a relationship that isn't even actually happening. SWL isn't even going for Sam Elliott in the end but instead the Sheriff, who I bet the cast will try to warn off of SWL because they're the textbook definition of "meddling assholes". Skye is the underdog hero of this comic strip.

Typing SWL a bunch has reminded me: whatever happened to Kirschen's LSW?

Count Canuckula
Oct 22, 2014

Where does he get these images from? Does he just rip from stock photo images of models?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Acropolis posted:

Muir decided the best way to further endear his characters to his audience was to make the coincidence that Sam Elliott and StrawWomanLiburul both want to hang around. Have his characters assume SWL is trying to gold dig Sam Elliott. Then making his protagonist bums panic and scramble to grub all the money they can before trying to break up a relationship that isn't even actually happening. SWL isn't even going for Sam Elliott in the end but instead the Sheriff, who I bet the cast will try to warn off of SWL because they're the textbook definition of "meddling assholes". Skye is the underdog hero of this comic strip.

I still don't get why Muir seems to think cowboy hats are such a universal panty-dropper (except for the fact that the Ladies Love Conservatives narrative fits his worldview). Is it a red-state thing or is he just making poo poo up?

quote:

Typing SWL a bunch has reminded me: whatever happened to Kirschen's LSW?

I'm not really sure what that acronym stands for by itself :confused:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

alnilam posted:

Counterpoint: Ramirez is probably the most successful US cartoonist

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Gross, Bennett.

Acropolis
Feb 21, 2014

loquacius posted:

I'm not really sure what that acronym stands for by itself :confused:

:golfclap:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

loquacius posted:

I still don't get why Muir seems to think cowboy hats are such a universal panty-dropper (except for the fact that the Ladies Love Conservatives narrative fits his worldview). Is it a red-state thing or is he just making poo poo up?
/quote]

Get out in the country and it's definitely a thing.

[quote="loquacius" post="440920363"]

The Koch Brothers' generous contributions keep democracy well-fed and happy. A Reverse Good Cartoon.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Gravel Gravy posted:

Disarming Israel's nukes would reduce the incentive for Iran from building their own so the plan sounds pretty solid.

nooooooot really.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Gilganixon posted:

Thanks for that. Numbers 4 and 10 are great. I was hoping that there'd be more Spanish Civil war stuff but the women fighters show up more in photographs than in the posters. If I find anything good I'll post it up.

No images, but I was watching a documentary on the Chinese Civil War, and they had some interviews with Chinese Communist female peasant volunteers. There was one little old lady who joined the CCP to escape an arranged marriage she was forced by her landlord to enter at the age of 7. She later talked about how she was captured and forced to serve a concubine for at KMT soldier. Another talked about how she was going to be forced to marry a man three times her age, so she joined the CCP instead and took part in the murder of her landlord. After her capture, she was brutally tortured with hot wires and threats of gang rape, but as she told her story, she was still visibly proud that she never betrayed her comrades.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

The Iron Rose posted:

nooooooot really.

Assumption being that without nukes threatening them they'd see no reason to continue living under sanctions and drop the program. Keyword assumption.

Though I don't know how successful the F-18's attack will be when it's only loaded with ATA missiles and what appears to be fuel tanks.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.
Lucy, that's kind of messed up. You know your dad is getting senile and can't help it.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

ladyboy pancake posted:

Have you ever...9/11'd anybody?

Is that where I fly my dick into her and her self esteem implodes into a smoldering heap?

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

HootTheOwl posted:

Is that where I fly my dick into her and her self esteem implodes into a smoldering heap?

Implodes? Wouldn't that be an inside job?

Son of Isaac
Apr 22, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VM1GIZSGH4g

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I always love when conservatives complain about the world seeing us like wimps and we need to be bigger assholes or they'll lose respect. As if there has ever been a point when we weren't going out of our way to gently caress over some other people or country and that everyone else longs for our ramrod of love.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Radish posted:

I always love when conservatives complain about the world seeing us like wimps and we need to be bigger assholes or they'll lose respect. As if there has ever been a point when we weren't going out of our way to gently caress over some other people or country and that everyone else longs for our ramrod of love.

I feel like expounding upon the general insecurity of the conservative psyche being the cause of this phenomenon but that seems a little too LF

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Isn't the entirety of the evidence for Iran's nuclear weapon program more or less "We have evidence they looked into it and decided against it in the 90s, but if we were them we would do it, so we're going to assume they have one anyways"?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

loquacius posted:

Gross, Bennett.

Sucking Koch will rot your teeth. An anti-fellatio cartoon.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Isn't the entirety of the evidence for Iran's nuclear weapon program more or less "We have evidence they looked into it and decided against it in the 90s, but if we were them we would do it, so we're going to assume they have one anyways"?

They're also researching nuclear power, I think, since for some reason they don't trust good old oil.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Kajeesus posted:

They're also researching nuclear power, I think, since for some reason they don't trust good old oil.

Their nuclear power program started under the Shah in the late 60s/early 70s and they have operational plants. It's kind of a big jump from "They kept a power generation plan the old government set up going instead of letting it go to waste" to "They must be building nukes!".

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Gravel Gravy posted:

Assumption being that without nukes threatening them they'd see no reason to continue living under sanctions and drop the program. Keyword assumption.

Though I don't know how successful the F-18's attack will be when it's only loaded with ATA missiles and what appears to be fuel tanks.

Iran has aspirations to regional hegemony and is fighting a proxy war with the KSA. Israel is a significant concern to the Islamic Republic, but it's going to want nuclear security regardless of whether or not Israel has nukes or not. There are other factors as well that make me question exactly how serious Iran is in obtaining nuclear weapons as an end in and of itself in the first place, but that's far from a settled debate in any event.

tl;dr nuclear proliferation and security isn't quite that simple.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Their nuclear power program started under the Shah in the late 60s/early 70s and they have operational plants. It's kind of a big jump from "They kept a power generation plan the old government set up going instead of letting it go to waste" to "They must be building nukes!".

Well, for some crazy reason they don't want to let US officials in to closely monitor their nuclear plants. What reason could thet have for distrusting America???

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

IIRC there was also something about a laptop some intelligence agency stole from Iran that was just full of plans and was totally legit and wasn't just an outright fabrication and the fact that they refused to give it to the IAEA for inspection is totally irrelevant.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

If I recall right they have also had a history of not allowing inspectors into certain sites, though I don't know how compliant they've been lately.

The Iron Rose posted:

Iran has aspirations to regional hegemony and is fighting a proxy war with the KSA. Israel is a significant concern to the Islamic Republic, but it's going to want nuclear security regardless of whether or not Israel has nukes or not. There are other factors as well that make me question exactly how serious Iran is in obtaining nuclear weapons as an end in and of itself in the first place, but that's far from a settled debate in any event.

tl;dr nuclear proliferation and security isn't quite that simple.

Also depends on how they view it. Going off of the security dilemma, if they become the only actors with nukes that would only cause others to step up and perhaps cause Israel to reconsider it's stance should they disarm. I'm just not sure they'd think it'd be worth it.

But I dunno, I'm not a doctor I just play one on TV.

BBJoey posted:

Well, for some crazy reason they don't want to let US officials in to closely monitor their nuclear plants. What reason could thet have for distrusting America???

US? Are you sure you don't mean UN/IAEA or has letting US officials in been a sticking point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

https://archive.org/details/ThePowerOfNightmares-Episode1BabyItsColdOutside

Fast-forward to about 25 minutes or so, and you can see that this is pretty much the exact same mindset that was used by Richard Pipes and others to assess Soviet military capability during the 80s.

(The whole documentary is worth watching btw)

• Locked thread