Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I liked when he basically fought ravager evenly even though she was high on mirakuru. I don't think he was beaten by the time the van ran her over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

I sort of thing Rhas specifically didn't mean to kill him and instead did a surgical disabling strike, knowing that Ollie didn't kill Sarah, but he had to honor his trial by combat challenge. I really hope that's the case.

Yeah, sure. You just let us know how there's a "safe" way to stab someone completely through and throw them down a 100 foot cliff. That may be what what the show is going for though, since Maseo still seems to be working for Rhas despite the display of killing the Assassins in front of Oliver.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I uh, er...ah.. well. gulp....

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Yeah, sure. You just let us know how there's a "safe" way to stab someone completely through and throw them down a 100 foot cliff. That may be what what the show is going for though, since Maseo still seems to be working for Rhas despite the display of killing the Assassins in front of Oliver.

This is also the show with miracle herbs that cure all kinds of things, that the protagonist generally keeps for himself (as opposed to using them to help all kinds of people). Yeah, I don't really find the "100 foot not-so-bad" fall that satisfying, but it's looking like that is what happened.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

imperialparadox posted:

This is also the show with miracle herbs that cure all kinds of things, that the protagonist generally keeps for himself (as opposed to using them to help all kinds of people). Yeah, I don't really find the "100 foot not-so-bad" fall that satisfying, but it's looking like that is what happened.

It's going to be a bit disappointing if there isn't something supernatural-ly screwy with Oliver's return. Whatever that plant is might suffice if it gets some more background in course of explaining how it cures stabbings but now that The Flash has uttered those very special words Arrow just going "You were dead!" "I got better." seems like it'll just fall completely flat.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

zoux posted:

That cast really likes working together.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Have Felicity and Thea even spoken to each other before?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Aphrodite posted:

Have Felicity and Thea even spoken to each other before?

They showed at the beginning of the season they have been working together.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
They had a few scenes together at the Queen mansion, at the very least. But even beyond interacting on set, the cast all probably spends a bunch of time together doing promotional stuff. It happens on other shows too. Maisie Williams and Sophie Turner are close friends even though their GoT characters haven't been in the same scene since the first season.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

TyrantWD posted:

If there are parts of the show you would consider skipping, perhaps the show is not for you at all.

Aphrodite posted:

My 3 minutes are precious.

It is more like 10-15 minutes, but it doesn't have anything to do with the time, but just that I don't find it interesting. I think those minutes could be spent better on the relatively large cast in the present day.
Overall i really like the show, so I don't think this is a sign that I should stop watching, it isn't much different from back when everybody hated Laurel's character.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Oasx posted:

It is more like 10-15 minutes, but it doesn't have anything to do with the time, but just that I don't find it interesting. I think those minutes could be spent better on the relatively large cast in the present day.
Overall i really like the show, so I don't think this is a sign that I should stop watching, it isn't much different from back when everybody hated Laurel's character.

Yeah but you know that those flashbacks are going to tie into the current storyline as they have before.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
EBR is also dating Colton Haynes, so they probably run into each other more often than beyond their scenes together.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

hcreight posted:

They had a few scenes together at the Queen mansion, at the very least. But even beyond interacting on set, the cast all probably spends a bunch of time together doing promotional stuff. It happens on other shows too. Maisie Williams and Sophie Turner are close friends even though their GoT characters haven't been in the same scene since the first season.

Emily and Willa are also the same age and the rest are a bit older, so it makes sense they'd hang out.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

bobkatt013 posted:

Yeah but you know that those flashbacks are going to tie into the current storyline as they have before.
He's really not missing much that can't be summed up in a terse paragraph.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

zoux posted:

...is Willa getting to second base in that pic?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I realise its a super hero show but lol at the police in this.

The mayor did a better job of surviving the episode than she did in Dexter

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

When Brick said that LA abandoned a sector in 1992, was he referring to the riots?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Bad Moon posted:

Over the shirt counts as second base? drat I got there younger than I thought I did.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

zoux posted:

When Brick said that LA abandoned a sector in 1992, was he referring to the riots?

That's how I interpreted it.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Bad Moon posted:

You have failed Theacity.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Either she's grabbing her own boob, there is something weird going on with the perspective or Willa can do funky things with her arm.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Timett posted:

Either she's grabbing her own boob, there is something weird going on with the perspective or Willa can do funky things with her arm.

You can see Emily's arm behind Willa's.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

Gaz-L posted:

You can see Emily's arm behind Willa's.

But not their elbows! Anyway it's definitely Willa's or the thumbs would be backward. I'm glad I got to the bottom of this. Still seems like an awkward way to bend your arm.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Malcolm's been passin' on ancient League of Assassin groping secrets.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

You just let me know the way you get stabbed through the chest, cough up blood (which indicates a punctured lung) and then kicked off a cliff, and be healed with "the cold helped" and a few stitches and gauze.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
It's a show based on a comic book. Also, people in real life have probably trekked for a week and a half through burning desert after falling out of a plane and breaking every thing. The human body is kind of terrifying.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
You can't just dramatically kill your main character, have him stabbed by the best assassin in the world who symbolically marks his death, kick him off a cliff, go on a short mid-season hiatus and have him come back to life because you know, uh, ancient Japanese medicine maybe? Oliver was dead. You don't get to literally bring major characters back to life without explanation.

I'm not complaining about the idea of resurrecting people - it's a comic book show - but it is such a cop out to have an extreme death shot with no ambiguity, whose purpose was clearly to say to the audience "Oliver has been murdered", and then resurrect them with seemingly no narrative consequences beyond they have to lay low for awhile. I don't care about Lazarus Pits, I'm not a comic book guy, but a Lazarus Pit resurrection would be cool because it would have narrative implications: it would be an extreme solution for an extreme problem. Resurrecting him with Mirakuru would have been narratively interesting. I don't even know what this is other than a lame way to string the audience along and write a trashy cliffhanger. I'm not mad, I'm just disappointed. I'm really hoping there winds up being more consequences than "Oliver has to drink bad tasting tea" because holy poo poo lol if that's all it takes.

It feels like this season has no anchor and they're making it up as they go along, which is weird because what elevated Season 1 and 2 was the sense of arc. They can still do something interesting with Oliver's death, but I'm just genuinely amazed at how they downplayed Oliver's cinematic death after overplaying at volume 11.

edit: also keep in mind at least three expert characters have concluded that Oliver died. Ras concluded he murdered Oliver and didn't bother to check. Malcolm went to the site of Oliver's death and concluded he was dead. And Maseo's wife even said that he had died, even if she meant it metaphorically. Dude fuckin' died, according to the show, until he didn't.

Periodiko fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jan 31, 2015

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
MY loving REALISM.

Jesus Christ, settle down guys.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You don't know Ra's wanted to kill him.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Periodiko posted:

edit: also keep in mind at least three expert characters have concluded that Oliver died. Ras concluded he murdered Oliver and didn't bother to check. Malcolm went to the site of Oliver's death and concluded he was dead. And Maseo's wife even said that he had died, even if she meant it metaphorically. Dude fuckin' died, according to the show, until he didn't.

We saw in this episode that Maseo is still in Ra's good graces, and unsure if he was sent to revive Oliver. Malcom went and only saw the sword that Ra placed. He might have been very close to death, but Maseo's wife brought him back. We also do not know what the Omega is and that could have been part of the cure.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Aphrodite posted:

You don't know Ra's wanted to kill him.
The sword sticking through Oliver's chest says he did.

Like, what? We don't know for sure that Felicity isn't secretly a H.I.V. agent or something but that doesn't mean we should be treating that as if that's actually the case.

Oliver's "resurrection" has been dumb so far. Until we get information making it less dumb, it remains pretty dumb.

Diomedes
Dec 24, 2005
If we choose, we can live in a world of comforting illusion.

Aphrodite posted:

They didn't say they weren't allowed. In fact they've basically said yeah they exist but they aren't using them for Ollie.

Huh. I assumed DC put the kibosh on Lazarus pits altogether. It seems strange then to have herbs bring Olly back from that if they are going to use Lazarus pits in the future - it sort of cheapens the pits if the same thing can be done with herbs. Unless next time Olly is literally eviscerated, and they chuck his gibs into the pit and it heals him. Then it'd seem like something more special.

My guess then is that they're saving the pits for Ras himself. That in Olly vs Ras round 2, Olly wins and kills Ras. Ras is resurrected by a pit and any debts or vendettas are forgiven. After all, Olly and Thea et al have to come out of this in the clear with Ras, and Ras can't be killed off permanently.

I hoped they'd go with a very different direction and have Ras resurrect Olly in a pit, and it hosed with his memory and he was basically brainwashed into becoming a league member. Then over the course of many eps doing missions with the league, he starts to remember who he was and eventually regains his identity. Alas it wasn't to be.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
I love how Laurel can't even jump off a fire escape w/out almost killing herself. I almost want her to go up against The just because Thea hasn't had a turn kicking her rear end. Hell, I just enjoy watching the character of Laurel herself get her rear end kicked because she has no business immersing herself in crime fighting and combat.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

BrianWilly posted:

The sword sticking through Oliver's chest says he did.

You trying to imply that Ra's isn't a good enough assassin to miss everything important?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
The coolest thing about this show is the first google result for 'black driver'

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

GreenNight posted:

His sweet abs protected his lungs and stomach. The salmon ladder helps protect against being shanked.

Oliver Queen could not have died, because the Salmon Ladder did not choose to let him die.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Azhais posted:

You trying to imply that Ra's isn't a good enough assassin to miss everything important?

I hope this show has the balls for something as gloriously stupid as Ras fake-murdering Oliver, throwing him off a mountain, leaving him to rot for days, then having Maseo rescue him and bring in his estranged wife for no apparent reason, then fake killing three assassins for no apparent reason, all as a gambit to expose Malcolm. I think they've decided that the trials and tribulations the main character must face to come back to life is that he has to drink bad tasting tea, though.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

bobkatt013 posted:

We saw in this episode that Maseo is still in Ra's good graces, and unsure if he was sent to revive Oliver. Malcom went and only saw the sword that Ra placed. He might have been very close to death, but Maseo's wife brought him back. We also do not know what the Omega is and that could have been part of the cure.

Oliver was revived by the Omega Effect distilled into a vial. Next season, what is the secret of the mysterious Doug Side?

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Oliver just thinks it's "tea". It's actually magical island herbs brewed with Lazarus Pit water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Whizbang posted:

Oliver just thinks it's "tea". It's actually magical island herbs brewed with Lazarus Pit water.

That would be good enough, just show a flashback of the water being collected. after Felicity scans Oliver and says you should be dead.

• Locked thread