Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Looking through that channel

same

SAME

All these remixes are so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

bef posted:

Can someone please explain this Something Awful meme for me.

The Wii U isn't a good console or impressive so it's "cute" instead

It has some good games, though.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

I have more Wii U games than either PS4 or Xbox One games :ssh:

If you wanna define a system by its games, the Wii U owns, but if you wanna define a system on its merits of tech, it is "cute," I say :colbert:

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
why would you define a video game console by something other than its games

it's not a personal computer, all it does is games

edit: and Internet/video, I guess, but you don't need a powerful machine for that

Ultigonio fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jan 30, 2015

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Soul Glo posted:

If you wanna define a system by its games, the Wii U owns, but if you wanna define a system on its merits of tech, it is "cute," I say :colbert:

Over the years (been playing videogames for 26 years), I've realized that objective statistics mean absolutely jack poo poo when it comes to videogames. One of the best games of the entire last generation was Journey, which was not particularly technologically impressive by any objective means. I don't really remember any of the objectively impressive games from last generation because how hard you can push the tech has absolutely no bearing on the art direction, storytelling and gameplay mechanics. The things that really make a game better or worse than another are the creative aspects, not the technological aspects.

I'm getting a PS4, and, at this point, it's almost solely because of Rime.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

This conversation is pointless in this thread, but my ending point would be that the tech absolutely matters when it renders the console completely unable to run current third party games.

So the part that I define as bad absolutely impacts the part of the console that's good (but solely because of 1st party development and publishing).

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Soul Glo posted:

This conversation is pointless in this thread, but my ending point would be that the tech absolutely matters when it renders the console completely unable to run current third party games.

So the part that I define as bad absolutely impacts the part of the console that's good (but solely because of 1st party development and publishing).

Oh no, the Wii U isn't going to get Assassin's Creed Unity or twin stick FPS's. It's poo poo now.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Soul Glo posted:

We didnt!

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lemming posted:

Oh no, the Wii U isn't going to get Assassin's Creed Unity or twin stick FPS's. It's poo poo now.

All you Nintendo-lovers are plugging your ears and shouting LaLaLa at the inevitable death of an archaic rear end-backwards company.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The WiiU tech is actually pretty slick in terms of power efficiency, streaming, and bottlenecking.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Shovel Knight is a piece of poo poo

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Soul Glo posted:

That's legitimate, but that's more of a business decision on the part of the third party videogame companies than the merits of the console. Tech stats only describe the canvas on which the painting is painted. If you have a great canvas and are a lovely artist, it's still going to be a lovely painting. The fact of the matter is that those companies absolutely can make a great game on the Wii U, but they made the business decision to go in another direction. This speaks much more to the economics of videogames than to the tech stats.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I'm so glad my toy is better than that other toy for dumb stupid people. Not joking, I'm very glad. 🎅

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
drat, if only the WiiU had Watch_Dogs...

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Soul Glo posted:

If you wanna define a system by its games

foghorn.wav

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Nintendo has great first party and mediocre third party, water is wet.

I love my WiiU and I know it has its faults.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.
Besides it's not like third party games matter when you're an adult with steady income who can afford more than one console/a console and a PC.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Devil Wears Wings posted:

Besides it's not like third party games matter when you're an adult with steady income who can afford more than one console/a console and a PC.

Besides it's not like third party games matter

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

elf help book posted:

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

bef posted:

All you Nintendo-lovers are plugging your ears and shouting LaLaLa at the inevitable death of an archaic rear end-backwards company.

All us Nintendo-lovers are just worried about a post-Sega world that is quickly approaching.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Mercury Crusader posted:

All us Nintendo-lovers are just worried about a post-Sega world that is quickly approaching.

Sammy is firing 300 employees soon and is restructuring to only focus on mobile (e: and PCs apparently) :(

PSO2 would have been perfect on the Wii U

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jan 30, 2015

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Soul Glo posted:

Sammy is firing 300 employees soon and is restructuring to only focus on mobile :(

now is the perfect time for nintendo to buy sega and get that sweet pso exclusitivity

this will, of course, send a ripple through time that will explode the heads of all kids in the early 90s, but its a risk i think we can take

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

elf help book posted:

If we follow this to its logical conclusion (clearly no first party Sony/MS games matter) then the only video games that matter are Nintendo's.

That's something I personally mostly agree with.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Nintendo is going to purchase Capcom. Expect an announcement soon

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Soul Glo posted:

One can dream.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Dieting Hippo posted:

now is the perfect time for nintendo to buy sega and get that sweet pso exclusitivity

this will, of course, send a ripple through time that will explode the heads of all kids in the early 90s, but its a risk i think we can take

I am ready for this epic conclusion to the 16-bit Console Wars.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

oddium posted:

Nintendo is going to purchase Capcom. Expect an announcement soon

It's going to happen on Sunday at 4 pm

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I think Sega is still a bit too big for Nintendo to gobble up successfully. Give it a year and that may change. And Sega might actually get a bit of a bidding war going for them; if Sony or Microsoft decides that they need to blow some cash to prop up their consoles then acquiring Sega would make sense. Unlike Capcom whose only serious option for a buyout these days is Nintendo.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Nintendo can't afford Sega. Sammy is a huge conglomerate, they make the world's most profitable video games, slot machines.

Rather than buy Capcom Nintendo would be smarter to buy the smaller studios that all of the talent at Capcom left to make.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

mabels big day posted:

It's going to happen on Sunday at 4 pm

Street Fighter 5 by Nintendo's Capcom, only for the PS4 and computers.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I hope that Nintendo buys Sega so that Megaman can be in Smash Bros.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Random Stranger posted:

I think Sega is still a bit too big for Nintendo to gobble up successfully. Give it a year and that may change. And Sega might actually get a bit of a bidding war going for them; if Sony or Microsoft decides that they need to blow some cash to prop up their consoles then acquiring Sega would make sense. Unlike Capcom whose only serious option for a buyout these days is Nintendo.

I could see Microsoft buying Sega, they did a great job with Rare.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Mercury Crusader posted:

I could see Microsoft buying Sega, they did a great job with Rare.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
Oh right, so Badland, one of the only smartphone games that I've ever wanted to drop money on, is coming to the Wii U in "Spring 2015."

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
Nintendo should buy Microsoft

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Its amazing that every month or so some guy comes in to drop some sick truths about the WiiUs possessing power only to find nobody could give a poo poo.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Austrian mook posted:

drat, if only the WiiU had Watch_Dogs...

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
SEGA's recent downsizing is a continuation of their overarching strategy. They want to divest from packaged goods and focus on becoming a digital publisher. They're eliminating publishing staff across all regions and the arcade division in Japan. However, their overseas development studios are unaffected since they're largely profitable. Total War and Football Manager are among SEGA's most consist and profitable franchises. They're focusing on mobile/social/PC Online games and eliminating positions that don't fit in with this transition into digital publishing, such as retail related publishing jobs and arcade jobs.

The big news is that they're closing their San Francisco office and moving staff to Southern California. Truly the end of an era.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Austrian mook posted:

Its amazing that every month or so some guy comes in to drop some sick truths about the WiiUs possessing power only to find nobody could give a poo poo.

Wait, when did SeanceU come out?

• Locked thread