Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

William Bear posted:

NYTimes reporting that Romney is meeting with Chris Christie tonight.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/31/u...WT.nav=top-news

Angling for the candidate most likely to die of heart failure. That crafty bastard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Now, Romney can sell off his influence (and donors) to the highest bidder. I am guessing that Romney will meet with Christie and other candidates in the coming weeks. I initially thought VP push but I now I think he would see that as beneath him. He could be looking for a prominent role though in an upcoming administration.

Poverty Czar.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Romney would be a terrific Ambassador. Maybe to France?

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.
Awwww... :mitt: was, like, the one thing I created here that had any traction and now it won't be resurrected.

Syjefroi
Oct 6, 2003

I'll play it first and tell you what it is later.

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I am guessing that this was decided last week when Bush and Romney met up. They probably hashed out what donors where with which person and how they would compare. Romney has to realize that both he and Bush are going after the same sub group of Republicans.

Now, Romney can sell off his influence (and donors) to the highest bidder. I am guessing that Romney will meet with Christie and other candidates in the coming weeks. I initially thought VP push but I now I think he would see that as beneath him. He could be looking for a prominent role though in an upcoming administration.

I think I read that Bush took a few Team Romney people, so while some were spinning that as a coup it seems now that Romney actually was planning to duck out.

I don't get his overall plan though. For example, why release that brutal Huckabee ad from 2008? Why go on a greatest hits tour for one week? It's not like he's selling a book (or needs the money from a book tour). I mean, I guess it's just that his ego is that cosmically large? I don't get it.

Acrophyte
Sep 5, 2012

Respect me like Pesci
and if rap was hockey
I be Gretzky

http://youtu.be/m29R70Sayto

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Mitt Romney: Secretary of Housing and Urban Development

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

PupsOfWar posted:

Only then he could truly not live up to his father in any way, shape or form.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

mdemone posted:

gently caress me, True Detective ripped off Tom Ligotti?!? No wonder people thought it was a great show.

Now I basically have to watch it ASAP. By the way, if you dig that quote then go pick up Ligotti's The Conspiracy Against The Human Race, from whence it came.

And of course Ligotti himself was riffing on Zapffe's Last Messiah.

Yeah the writer director guy got some poo poo for lifting from that book and just sort of shrugged and said you can't really plagerize philosophy. The guy that mack-on-a-hey plays is like a superhero for pessimists and the entire show is loving awesome.

Edit: Forgot that it's illegal to say anything about this show without also saying That loving Long Traaaacking Shotttttttt omg

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jan 30, 2015

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Now, Romney can sell off his influence (and donors) to the highest bidder.

Late stage hail mary wish: Romney sells his database/donor rolodex to Christie, and his Christie oppo folder from the VP vetting process to Bush.

This is pro-click as gently caress youse guys. Get in on that poo poo.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

euphronius posted:

Romney would be a terrific Ambassador. Maybe to France?

Vietnam, so he can actually get sent there by the government for once.

I'm surprised by Romney bowing out, because I assumed he was more selfish than that. This move increases the chance that we'll have a Republican president in 2017, even though Romney's out. He might have won a slapfight with Jeb, but he's not going to swoop in at the RNC and suddenly get the nom.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Syjefroi posted:

I don't get his overall plan though. For example, why release that brutal Huckabee ad from 2008? Why go on a greatest hits tour for one week? It's not like he's selling a book (or needs the money from a book tour). I mean, I guess it's just that his ego is that cosmically large? I don't get it.

The first case can be explained pretty easily: whether or not Romney runs, he doesn't want Huckabee or his ilk to win the nomination.

As for the rest: While you're running in the Invisible Primary, you need to look like you're serious about running in the real one so that you can pump up some poll numbers to hand your potential donors as proof you can win it.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

PupsOfWar posted:

He does have a lot of experience building houses in multiple states.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Hopefully we'll at least get Trollmney on twitter feuding with Trollbama now.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
BuzzFeed Andy FOIA'd Hillary's HR files from UA, finding that she beat out 39 male applicants for a law professorship. Her reviews appear to be good, except for a note about a lecture where she was chewing gum. Little did she know she'd be beaten years later by a notorious gum chewer!

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Goddrat

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

The Freedom of Information Act is easily one of our best laws.

Bruce Bartlet is awesome. He's a great follow if you're into political twitter

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Ohhhhhh shiiiiit son.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Rygar201 posted:

The Freedom of Information Act is easily one of our best laws.

Bruce Bartlet is awesome. He's a great follow if you're into political twitter

It's also really weird these days to see a law with FREEDOM in the name that isn't just a smokescreen for LESS FREEDOM.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Cythereal posted:

I don't think Romney wanted to be president so much as Ann Romney wanted to be First Lady.

To keep the family tradition going, Ann needs to lose a Senate race.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Fox News, channeling the hopes and dreams of this thread:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwB8qPTP9ac

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

:mitt: for a brokered convention? Don't think it'll happen. Ford was out on the golf courses in 1980, waiting for Reagan and Bush to beat themselves to a stalemate so that he would be asked to step in and take the nomination. By mid-summer Reagan had wiped the floor with GHB and...Ford could carry on with his putting practice.

Dayvan Cowboy
Feb 11, 2014
I just want to think this is the part in a James Brown concert, where somebody puts the cape on him, only to have Brown shake it off and keep singing.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
A deadlocked convention. There are no brokers any more.

But nah, that's not going to happen, and Mitt wouldn't be the pick even if it did. He's liked by roughly 1% of the people who'll attend the RNC.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
I just want Newt to make another hilarious run for it.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

PupsOfWar posted:

Tree Height Czar

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Is the White House LEED certified? I know just the guy, proven track record of managing commercial linen cleaning facilities already. Would not be daunted by complex parking challenges either.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Pron on VHS posted:

I honestly feel bad for Romney, I could feel how badly he wanted to be a U.S. President, I don't think I've ever wanted anything that much.

Don't. He'll be fine. The one thing he wanted that he never got. Cry me a loving river for that silver spoon motherfucker.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

Joementum posted:

A deadlocked convention. There are no brokers any more.

But nah, that's not going to happen, and Mitt wouldn't be the pick even if it did. He's liked by roughly 1% of the people who'll attend the RNC.

could you explain the difference if you have time?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

baw posted:

A brokered convention involves all the primary races turning up nothing but a plurality of votes for any one candidate, but there's a willingness to negotiate that guy x accepts runner up guy y as the vice presidential candidate and favors are traded after the election for guys z and w.

A deadlocked convention is the same thing, but no combination of factions that can generate a majority agree enough on any person exists.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I'm sad because now we'll never know how he would get around that tacky as gently caress video of Ann Romney saying how "the country lost" because her train wreck of a husband isn't president.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

Nintendo Kid posted:

A brokered convention involves all the primary races turning up nothing but a plurality of votes for any one candidate, but there's a willingness to negotiate that guy x accepts runner up guy y as the vice presidential candidate and favors are traded after the election for guys z and w.

A deadlocked convention is the same thing, but no combination of factions that can generate a majority agree enough on any person exists.

Thanks.

I guess on topic, has anyone read this? I bought it on a whim.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

If Obama somehow trolls the entire GOP base and electorate into granting Hilary a landslide election, he's going to deserve every little bit of his Nobel Peace Prize.

And may he continue to troll in his post-presidential years!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

So I'll be interested to see what comes out, but my current theory is that Romney was all set to run, but the big money guys made it clear they preferred Jeb instead of a guy who lost twice before, so he reluctantly had to give up. I listened to his conference call earlier, and he comes off sounding to me like he truly believes he can win, but he won't have the chance to try. Just an idea.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
Can't wait for Game Change 3.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

baw posted:

Before the 1972 McGovern primary reform balloted primaries weren't run in most states and even in those where they were most of the time the delegates weren't pledged to a campaign. That meant that the state party chairman, an influential politician, and union leaders hand picked their delegates and could speak for the entire delegation. This was also the tail end of the age of machine politics where most of the delegates owed their employment to the party leaders. An example of how this worked was at the '68 RNC where Strom Thurmond, who controlled multiple Southern state delegations, was being courted by both Nixon and Reagan (Rockefeller was trying too, but :lol: Strom was never going that way). Nixon handed him a list of possible VPs and Strom picked Agnew. Nixon also pledged not to mandate busing federally.

Now that every state and territory holds a primary or caucus, and the RNC has even changed the rules so that (almost) all the delegates are pledged to a candidate (and most will be selected by the campaign they're pledged to), the only brokers are the candidates. The most likely scenario for anything approaching a deadlocked convention would be the 1st place candidate picking the 2nd as their VP, but even that is extremely unlikely because of how the primary schedule and funding works.

One side note is that it's much more likely on the Democratic side because every national Democrat is an unpledged delegate at the DNC. These were the "superdelegates" you heard about in 2008.

Joementum fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jan 31, 2015

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

comes along bort posted:

Late stage hail mary wish: Romney sells his database/donor rolodex to Christie, and his Christie oppo folder from the VP vetting process to Bush.

Nightmare scenario: Romney is backing Bush, he's only meeting with Christie to show him the oppo and drive him out of the race.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Mitt for RNC chair.

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
We are going to have another Bush versus Clinton election, aren't we?

Jeb Bush with Romney as VP -- that's how the R ticket is gonna go down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Romney wouldn't take VP. He might have in 08, but he's not going to now.

• Locked thread