Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.
So I'm finally catching the special (they hid it under "as specials" on the onDemand menu) and were there a ton of Navy ads during the original airing? I keep expecting to see a live action Shoreleave in the crowd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Didn't Manstrong come to Gargantua 1 a a small child? I thought I remembered him having been there basically all his life.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Arm_Fruit posted:

Did Fat Chance make it out alive? He was knocked out by Billy's hot Mom and wasn't at the Council of 13 meeting at the end.
He's probably the one who teleported Phantom Limb and Radical Left back on Meteor Majeur, and that happened after the reactor exploded, so I guess he's alive, but maybe not free. I don't know why Underbheit isn't there though.

quote:

Later seasons though, it does start feeling like they have a future roadmap. The Investors, Monstroso, the Sovereign's scheme, it all feels like it was part of a giant seasons-long master plan
It doesn't feel like a roadmap so much as going from a Johnny Quest parody to a universe with its own coherent mythology, rules and history. My "reference" on the matter is multiple pieces by Movie Bob of the Escapist (his column about Rick & Morty and a recent video about Too Many Cooks) on how AS shows tend to go from simple, gimmicky parodies to fleshed-out universes with a lot of depth (he cites Rick & Morty as one rare exception, being a show that knows exactly what it wants to do from the onset).

Jack Gladney posted:

I honestly think the deal with Sunshine is that he's just really out-of-touch and completely innocuous, but so naive that he doesn't understand how he comes off. Like a single Ambiguously Gay Duo, but about child rape.
Didn't the authors confirm that in the commentaries?

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
I was watching some of the Adult Swim: Supercuts on YT last night (they're awesome and there's a shitload of them like NUTSHOTS: The Supercut of all the dick punches in series) and there was a scene with Billy and White at Conjectural Tech talking about "their investors" and Billy puts on a neckbrace as armor. They never come on camera.

Maybe I had a stroke or something but I have forgotten so loving much about this show it hurts.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Wasn't that the episode where Billy fixes up Monstrosos heart? They were already established at that point.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

notZaar posted:

Wasn't that the episode where Billy fixes up Monstrosos heart? They were already established at that point.

They had already been established, even in that episode. Billy was moonlighting as a fake doctor and ran into a room where the investors were shown taking King Gorilla's heart.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

JediTalentAgent posted:

Boys' Brigade photo has Limb, Impossible and two other unnamed boys in the group. An athletic one that people have speculated may have been Manstrong or Hatred and the curly-haired scrawny deeby-looking kid that a lot of people have thought is Al.

However, I'm sort of finding myself leaning towards the thought of the boy scout is/was actually Sovereign as part of the Eagle/Scout idea, maybe even more so when I think about some of the details dropped in the episode, too.

Who's Doug Henning?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

notZaar posted:

I thought those were two different episodes?

The first one Billy and White talk about their investors and getting some seed money for Conjectural Technologies, then hatred and Venture borrow it to pay Dean's ransom.

Then in another episode The Investors take King Gorillas heart, and get Billy to implant it, and he just assumes they're vampires.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

DrBouvenstein posted:

I thought those were two different episodes?

The first one Billy and White talk about their investors and getting some seed money for Conjectural Technologies, then hatred and Venture borrow it to pay Dean's ransom.

Then in another episode The Investors take King Gorillas heart, and get Billy to implant it, and he just assumes they're vampires.

The scene he's referencing is in the heart transplant episode. The Silent Partners.

All we see or hear about their investors in the former is them dancing around happy to have the money and the name on the check "General Consolidated Insurance." Handsome Ransom.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

This reminds me: Dr. Orpheus is fairly powerful, but Killinger just laughed him off, and left him almost comatose on the floor.

"Your powers are useless against me, you silly-billy."

And Killinger and The Investors even refer to everyone else as mortals - so Killinger is whatever The Investors are, but he's clearly stronger than they are.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Red posted:

This reminds me: Dr. Orpheus is fairly powerful, but Killinger just laughed him off, and left him almost comatose on the floor.

And Killinger and The Investors even refer to everyone else as mortals - so Killinger is whatever The Investors are, but he's clearly stronger than they are.

In fact odds are that Orpheus was lightsaber dueling Killinger in that episode as well; especially given the nosebleed both Orpheus and Investor-guy get left with.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Pope Guilty posted:

Didn't Manstrong come to Gargantua 1 a a small child? I thought I remembered him having been there basically all his life.

I could swear that he'd been there as a kid when it was being built, then went back to earth, joined the army, and then was there for like 20 years when Doc visits it again.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Red posted:

I wonder if The Master is in Killinger's power class. Also, maybe the investors were from the second world, and The Outrider might know a thing or two about them.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Nintendo Kid posted:

I could swear that he'd been there as a kid when it was being built, then went back to earth, joined the army, and then was there for like 20 years when Doc visits it again.

I mean, he knew all about Shark's Machine!

Didn't he say/imply it happened a long time ago when he was a kid?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Red posted:

Maybe those prostitutes Billy slept with were actually vampire chicks after all!

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

They even dropped the hint about not going where they're not invited.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Mylan posted:

I wonder if The Master is in Killinger's power class. Also, maybe the investors were from the second world, and The Outrider might know a thing or two about them.

A spinoff on the magical side of Venture world would definitely be worth watching. Even if the main cast wasn't The Order of the Triad.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Xelkelvos posted:

A spinoff on the magical side of Venture world would definitely be worth watching. Even if the main cast wasn't The Order of the Triad.

I'd rather not have the order of the triad be main characters. They are good as she characters but they aren't good enough to have their own show.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

reignofevil posted:

In fact odds are that Orpheus was lightsaber dueling Killinger in that episode as well; especially given the nosebleed both Orpheus and Investor-guy get left with.

That's a hell of an idea.

Also, I wanted to see the conversation Killinger had with The Investors, and he calls them brothers.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

reignofevil posted:

drat, I forgot about that. Nice catch.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Orpheus strikes me as a just-lightning-from-the-hands type.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

They weren't even fighting in that scene, Orpheus was just trying to read his aura.

I really hope none of the cast ever come into direct conflict with him because because he's pretty much been set up as the most powerful creature in the entire show now, Brock was out of his depth enough with The Investors :ohdear:

Red
Apr 15, 2003

A Steampunk Gent posted:

They weren't even fighting in that scene, Orpheus was just trying to read his aura.

I really hope none of the cast ever come into direct conflict with him because because he's pretty much been set up as the most powerful creature in the entire show now, Brock was out of his depth enough with The Investors :ohdear:

Killinger's earned Brock's trust with tax breaks and how he handles Hank and Dean.

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

Don't you fear the yetis in Rio?

Nintendo Kid posted:

He was just trying to tell a scary story to the kids. I doubt he was really a kid on the space station.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

So did Doc's faulty ray shield give Junior cancer?

Cause that's what I was thinking the moment they revealed he was dying.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I think being a human tumor from the get-go gave him cancer.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
I think JJ said the shield wasn't safe in atmosphere for some reason but implied it would be safe in space.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Golden Goat posted:

So did Doc's faulty ray shield give Junior cancer?

Cause that's what I was thinking the moment they revealed he was dying.

Nah, the ray shield was fine in outer space, and in the lead lined box they put it in for transport up to Gargantua 2.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Didn't Doc not even build the ray shield? Wasn't that what the four-armed thing at the end was all about?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

feedmyleg posted:

Didn't Doc not even build the ray shield? Wasn't that what the four-armed thing at the end was all about?

He *oversaw* its construction, and they built it to *his* specifications! :colbert:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

feedmyleg posted:

The funny part of that is that the two sets of armholes were side by side, instead of being stacked like one for the mutated white suits would be.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

Go back and watch season 5. It threw me off too. He hired a bunch of interns to build it. They all got mutated with four arms. That's why it needs four arms.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cojawfee posted:

Go back and watch season 5. It threw me off too. He hired a bunch of interns to build it. They all got mutated with four arms. That's why it needs four arms.

They had four arms stacked on top of each other. They would be incapable of operating the mechanism, which was two sets of arms side by side.

You'd still need two seperate interns to work the reset.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Nah, just stand in the middle and half-kneel. It'd work.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

LostRook posted:

Nah, just stand in the middle and half-kneel. It'd work.

This is the perfect reply for this thread.

I keep giggling when I randomly think of the robot dog walking into walls. Also when I think of the "that is what a crazy person would say!" line. Really, I have no clue what the feeling of this thread is since I was trying to avoid spoilers, but I think it was well worth the wait.

The one thing that sucked about the special is that it's far more fun watching Venture Bros with someone else, and I didn't have anyone to watch it with. :(

fake edit: Also the loving lollypop at the end...oh, and the monarch being all, "Yes, I finally get to be on the council!" "not you."

I've gotta go watch it again.

DoctorWhat posted:

Wha... Who the hell is "Jacqueline Onassis"?
:D

Bored fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jan 30, 2015

say no to scurvy
Nov 29, 2008

It is always Scurvy Prevention Week.
And also, why did Dean remember the four-armed interns? I thought everyone forgot with the GHB sauna.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Steve Yun posted:

Otto Aqarius I vaguely remembered but I guess the show kind of forgets about him later?

I think he was on one of the boats coming in to Puerto Bahia at the end of Venture Libre.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I think my favorite two lines anyone says ever are "What, I'm a supervillain" and "Now you're trying to make me out to be the bad guy? / Yes! I'm trying to make you a bad guy! We're both bad guys! We're professional bad guys! Ding, hello!"

Also "So I hosed her, what of it?!"

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

say no to scurvy posted:

And also, why did Dean remember the four-armed interns? I thought everyone forgot with the GHB sauna.

He doesn't remember the 4 arm interns though, he just remembers that there were interns around, so it'd make sense that they build something that needed two people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
"My name's Scott Hall."