Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Nintendo Kid posted:

CM 11 has been working flawlessly for my AT&T Galaxy S 4 for several months now.

Likewise, CM11 milestones (the new stable) always ran fine on my T-Mo S4. When I ran on the nightly tree for a while I had some bluetooth issues for a few weeks after they upgraded some drivers, but anyone who complains about bugs in nightlies that don't exist in the "stable" release is a twit. CM12 nightlies have been great since late December as well. Daily driver material for sure, and not XDA style where that means half the poo poo is broken but truly everything works equal to or better than it did when I last ran stock. Cameras, GPS, 4G, NFC, etc. The only thing I can't test is MHL but I'm pretty sure that's supposed to work too.

I should just convert to GPe and be done with it since I don't really use any CM-specific things save for the occasional reboot-to-recovery, but last I checked that required setting up Odin again and I really don't care for that when CM works just as well and has updates that install basically like stock OTAs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewcastleBrown
Mar 15, 2004
The One and Only
Can the Droid Maxx (XT1080) be rooted? I know it was possible but complicated for a while, but I installed the ooold update that made it impossible. Is it possible now? If so, how difficult is it? I'm on 4.4.4.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

NewcastleBrown posted:

Can the Droid Maxx (XT1080) be rooted? I know it was possible but complicated for a while, but I installed the ooold update that made it impossible. Is it possible now? If so, how difficult is it? I'm on 4.4.4.

Maybe, but probably not. The bootloader is unlockable using the Sunshine app by JCase for $25 if you are on 4.4.3 or below, which would then allow you to root. The exploit has worked for some people on 4.4.4, I'm not sure why it only sometimes works.

It checks compatibility before running the exploit or charging you money so you can safely try and see, but I wouldn't get your hopes up.

NewcastleBrown
Mar 15, 2004
The One and Only
I did some poking around and found a thread posted earlier this month about unlocking bootloaders on the Ultra.

Does that look like it'd do the trick?

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Has anyone rooted a Sony xperia z3 (compact)?

The instructions on xda are slightly less than straight forward. I'd really like to unlock the bootloader but from what I can tell you will still lose the keys that make the camera not suck.

The Sony experience may be closer to stock than others but it's still driving me mad!

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
I've googled a bit and found a bunch of articles from 2012, but is there a ROM (probably for Galaxy S4, but I'm willing to buy cheap phones to try this with) that just basically turns a phone into a personal media player? It'd be way chiller for me to link my kids to my Google Play Music account than to keep downloading and having to sync their Sansas whenever they want something new.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Deathlove posted:

I've googled a bit and found a bunch of articles from 2012, but is there a ROM (probably for Galaxy S4, but I'm willing to buy cheap phones to try this with) that just basically turns a phone into a personal media player? It'd be way chiller for me to link my kids to my Google Play Music account than to keep downloading and having to sync their Sansas whenever they want something new.

Turn off cell network? What exactly do you want it to do that would be different from a phone without cell service?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Deathlove posted:

Just remove the SIM?

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

RVProfootballer posted:

Turn off cell network? What exactly do you want it to do that would be different from a phone without cell service?

Well, I'd rather my kids not have Internet access or games on it. Something just for music.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Deathlove posted:

Well, I'd rather my kids not have Internet access or games on it. Something just for music.
While some ROMs may break wifi I doubt many does it on purpose. Root it and break the wifi I guess.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Just get a Lollipop ROM and use screen pinning to pin Google Play Music. It won't actually disable internet for real but they won't actually be able to use the internet for anything other than music streaming.

dik-dik fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jan 30, 2015

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Deathlove posted:

For what it's worth, an S4 early enough to have a bypassable bootloader also has ground loop issues with the DAC. I actually left my old Galaxy Nexus in my car for podcasts, the background whine in the S4 made it intolerable. It was okay for music, because there wasn't enough dead space, but it was driving me insane. They fixed the DAC around the time they fixed to bootloader exploits. So, good luck.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Deathlove posted:

Throw on a third party launcher like Nova and hide Chrome and Play Store and anything else you don't want them to use? Are these kids that are going to actively be looking for a way around your restrictions?

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Throw on a third party launcher like Nova and hide Chrome and Play Store and anything else you don't want them to use? Are these kids that are going to actively be looking for a way around your restrictions?

Apparently you guys don't remember being a kid.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

Apparently you guys don't remember being a kid.

I remember being a 12 year old that would try to get around restrictions. I don't remember being a 6 year old that wouldn't know how to get to the internet if there wasn't an icon for it. Hence my question.

revolther
May 27, 2008
I like that this thread shits on nearly everyone asking about custom Roms or root for some legitimate reason but guy wants to gimp some phone into an overpriced mp3 player, suddenly helpful.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

revolther posted:

I like that this thread shits on nearly everyone asking about custom Roms or root for some legitimate reason but guy wants to gimp some phone into an overpriced mp3 player, suddenly helpful.
Perhaps It's because repurposing an obsolete phone into an MP3 player is both an achievable and useful goal whereas installing a custom ROM made by a 17 year old copypasting into a script and expecting it to work well is a stupid idea?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Well, not all custom roms are like that you know. With a bit of research you can notice wich rom is made by a handful of guys that know what they do and wich is a copy/paste crap. We're on the rooted android thread afterall, this is the thread to talk about breaking stuff.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
So with GPE phones going away are Nexus phones gonna pretty much be it for sensible options to get stock Android?

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

So with GPE phones going away are Nexus phones gonna pretty much be it for sensible options to get stock Android?

Motorola and Sony aren't stock, but are close enough.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Mooktastical posted:

Motorola and Sony aren't stock, but are close enough.

Motorola sure, but I current Sony is a real disappointment coming from a stock device. Maybe 5 will be better.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

In Spain you can buy a BQ phone wich runs stock android. But yes, in other countries as Mooktastical said, Motorla and maybe Sony (wich isn't that close in my opinion).

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Guillermus posted:

Well, not all custom roms are like that you know. With a bit of research you can notice wich rom is made by a handful of guys that know what they do and wich is a copy/paste crap. We're on the rooted android thread afterall, this is the thread to talk about breaking stuff.
With a little bit of research you could do every part of it without asking anything here. :) The fact is that custom ROM scene is now populated only with the people too dumb to just buy a working device from the outset so everyone who knows what they're doing is gone. The signal to noise ratio is now so low that anyone doing cursory research should immediately see that the scene is entirely populated by morons and decide to abandon the idea and if they don't, well, then I guess they found their people. Either way there's not much for them here.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Not trying to be hostile but what you want is to close this thread. We all know your attitude about this and all that but this thread is also about rooting a perfectly working device because you want to block ads, back up app data or even remove google apps the user wont use like me that I never use chrome, play music, films or other stuff. Apps that are shoved down, wich you can disable but can also be removed safely and install them later if you please.

But hey, if anyone needs or feels like messing with their device and I can point them stuff I know that works, I'll just do because I ignore the community and I don't have a grudge against them. Everyone knows the risks and is grown up.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Guillermus posted:

Not trying to be hostile but what you want is to close this thread. We all know your attitude about this and all that but this thread is also about rooting a perfectly working device because you want to block ads, back up app data or even remove google apps the user wont use like me that I never use chrome, play music, films or other stuff. Apps that are shoved down, wich you can disable but can also be removed safely and install them later if you please.

But hey, if anyone needs or feels like messing with their device and I can point them stuff I know that works, I'll just do because I ignore the community and I don't have a grudge against them. Everyone knows the risks and is grown up.

This is why stock + root/Xposed is preferred by the goon hivemind over custom roms. Same result, less chance for random jankiness.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Guillermus posted:

LastinLine has always been pro-root. There's not TOO much wrong with rooting your device, and stuff like GravityBox can be pretty nice. It's the custom ROM scene that so many people have a problem with.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Guillermus posted:

remove google apps the user wont use like me that I never use chrome, play music, films or other stuff. Apps that are shoved down, wich you can disable but can also be removed safely and install them later if you please.
This is totally pointless unless you are also repartitioning the device. I don't disagree with your general point that there are reasons to root, but this really isn't one of them.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
I think we need a new OP and thread for how to become an Android POWER user.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

always be closing posted:

I think we need a new OP and thread for how to become an Android POWER user.

I nominate RZA Encryption to write the op

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I still find it funny that people buy phones like the Samsung S whatever on the sole point of "will CyanogenMod work with this phone" instead of "will my phone work right out of the box"

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

My Galaxy S was almost three years old before I rooted and installed CM9, I was glad I did. When I bought my S4 back in summer 2013 while I loved the device, I went the root/CM then GPE way. Could have just bought a Nexus 4 and be done? Yes, and I did, I had not one, but two Nexus 4 on my hands that had issues with radio (signal loss with three different carriers) while the S4 worked perfectly with any.

I've said it plenty of times. Today I'd just buy a Moto G/X, Nexus 5/6, BQ or whatever that has little to no bloatware and close to stock. That's one of the reasons I bought a N7 2013 last summer. I don't gently caress with android if I really don't need to but I'm not afraid of a good fight.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
My kindle fire is a way better device now thatI have CM11 on it, so there's that. Whether the custom roms are as 'useful' as they once were is besides the point. These devices can and should be ripped apart, tinkered with, etc as much as humanly possible. Signal to noise ration or not, sometimes even idiots get lucky and make a breakthrough.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

maniacripper posted:

My kindle fire is a way better device now thatI have CM11 on it, so there's that. Whether the custom roms are as 'useful' as they once were is besides the point. These devices can and should be ripped apart, tinkered with, etc as much as humanly possible. Signal to noise ration or not, sometimes even idiots get lucky and make a breakthrough.

I got a 2nd gen Fire a few years ago as a gift. The stock software on it, at that time, really sucked. I installed a stock 4.something rom, and it still works like a decent stock tablet at this point.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
In case anyone cares, I was able to easily root a Sony z3 compact under linux with the script here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/crossdevice-dev/sony/giefroot-rooting-tool-cve-2014-4322-t3011598

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Did that remove the good camera features, or whatever was the concern in that department regarding rooting?

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

hooah posted:

Did that remove the good camera features, or whatever was the concern in that department regarding rooting?

No. Someone found a way to root without unlocking the bootloader.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Oh, that's cool.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Kaluza-Klein posted:

In case anyone cares, I was able to easily root a Sony z3 compact under linux with the script here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/crossdevice-dev/sony/giefroot-rooting-tool-cve-2014-4322-t3011598
How do you intend to update moving forward? Now that rooting completely breaks incremental updates you're pretty much stuck for the life of the device.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Guillermus posted:

In Spain you can buy a BQ phone wich runs stock android. But yes, in other countries as Mooktastical said, Motorla and maybe Sony (wich isn't that close in my opinion).

Kind of a bummer. Being able to convert to the GPE ROM was one of the big draws of the One M8 for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Skeezy posted:

I still find it funny that people buy phones like the Samsung S whatever on the sole point of "will CyanogenMod work with this phone" instead of "will my phone work right out of the box"

There are only so many phone choices out there, so if you have certain wants or needs you'll have to make a choice as to what matters more to you. Hardware is a lot harder to change than software, at least until something like Project Ara becomes widely available, so to me it's the lesser of two evils.

It's sort of like if someone wanted a laptop running Linux. You could limit your searching to only those that officially shipped with Linux, but in that case I hope you like Ubuntu on a limited subset of Dell and Lenovo's offerings or random no-name vendors. Instead most people will just look up what hardware works and buy something that ships with Windows with the intent of reinstalling to their distro of choice.