Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Alkydere posted:

Perry? I mean he's merely being charged with corruption and blackmail (from incompetently trying to blackmail the one person in Texas who's job it is to take politicians to task for corruption and blackmail). Being corrupt as gently caress criminal is practically a tick in the positive category for Republicns.

Rick Perry wears ivory tower smart person glasses now so I don't know if he can maintain his appeal with the conservative base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Texas Miracallllllllll

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010
More and more I'm seeing Huck emerging as the not-Bush candidate whom the hardliners rally around. Everyone else is too toxic or divisive.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

This along with the oil tax exemptions in North Dakota means that state's budget is so entirely hosed.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
This is a larger article from the NYTimes on the recently proposed changes, it includes more detail on the Strategic Response Groups and also a bevy of concurrently proposed positive changes: N.Y.P.D. Plans Initiatives to Fight Terrorism and Improve Community Relations

I don't think it puts near enough emphasis on the intention to use the SRG against protesters but it's all worth reading:

quote:

The future of the New York Police Department will include patrol officers with more time to visit with community members and learn their concerns.

It will also include more high-powered weapons for a new unit of specially trained officers focused on patrolling terrorist targets and protests.

The twin initiatives, announced by Commissioner William J. Bratton in a speech on Thursday, highlighted the tensions in New York City between the desire of officials to put a friendlier face on officers’ day-to-day interactions with the public, and a rising fear of terrorism by lone actors.

The speech, an annual State of the N.Y.P.D. address to the nonprofit Police Foundation, outlined Mr. Bratton’s vision of a police force better equipped to respond to big events, and also more understanding of local issues in high-crime areas where distrust of officers persists.

“A new patrol model,” he called it during the speech, which also touched on a wide range of earlier proposals, from putting stun guns into the hands of more officers to replacing aging bulletproof vests and, eventually, outfitting the entire patrol force with body cameras.

Improving frayed police-community relations has been Mr. Bratton’s mandate since returning last year to lead the department. Small efforts to that end have been underway since, even as the death of Eric Garner after an arrest on Staten Island in July deepened the divide. Rookie officers in the 47th Precinct in the Bronx, for example, have been tasked with making — and tracking — their local contacts. In other parts of the city, officers this week gave out movie tickets to young people for a showing of “Selma.”

Among the most specific changes detailed by Mr. Bratton on Thursday, however, was the creation of a heavily armed unit to patrol areas of the city and respond to large-scale events, such as protests or terrorist attacks. Those duties are now often performed by officers drawn from precincts across the city who are temporarily assigned to terrorist targets, such as Times Square.

The new unit, to be made up of roughly 350 officers and to be called the Strategic Response Group, will be created in the coming months, Mr. Bratton said. Officers assigned to it would be equipped with heavy protective gear and machine guns, and receive advanced training in counterterrorism tactics and “advanced disorder control,” he said.

“It is designed for dealing with events like our recent protests or incidents like Mumbai or what just happened in Paris,” Mr. Bratton said, referring to the terrorist attacks in India in 2008 and in France this month, both carried out by small groups of men wielding assault rifles.

The Police Department’s Emergency Service Unit has long handled many assignments requiring special weapons and tactics, but after the Sept. 11 attacks, the department also created heavily armed units known as Hercules teams.

Plans for the new unit drew immediate criticism from some police reform advocates.

It is “the opposite of progress,” Priscilla Gonzalez, organizing director of Communities United for Police Reform, said in a statement, to have “a more militarized police force that would use counterterrorism tactics against protesters.”

In his speech, Mr. Bratton also said the department would test out a “highly localized neighborhood policing plan” in four precincts — two in Manhattan, two in Queens — in which officers focus on small sections of neighborhoods and are given more time to do so, without having to worry about responding to emergency calls.

Mr. Bratton said he would reduce the number of patrol officers who currently find themselves either in specialty roles or “running from call to call” in a department that, he said, “does not have enough police officers.” Instead, he said, officers would have about a third of their day mostly free from the “tyranny” of the radio to focus on local crime concerns.

A new challenge for the department will be tracking what officers do during that time.

“There needs to be a way to measure effective community policing practices,” said Susan Shah of the Vera Institute of Justice, who has studied community policing policies nationally.

As an example of what the new patrol model might look like on the street, Mr. Bratton drew from his own experience the day before: As he was getting his shoes shined, he observed a group of men, with “their booze stuffed in the two phone booths,” who were harassing people outside the shop, he told reporters after the speech.

Mr. Bratton directed officers from his security detail to call the local precinct. Soon, two of the men were under arrest.

It was a quintessential moment of “broken windows” policing by the commissioner who has championed the strategy, which has come under criticism for its focus on minor disorder as the best way to prevent major crime.

“This is the heart of community policing,” he said.

A manager at the shop at Columbus Circle, Dino’s Shoe Repair, said Mr. Bratton made the call without any prompting.

“The men outside are a big problem,” said the manager, Maria Kounavis, who added that they were back again on Thursday. “We’re grateful, even if it was for one night.”

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

ReidRansom posted:

When has New York ever needed machine guns? I honestly cannot think of a single instance in which they would have been necessary.

I refer you to one Plissken, Snake.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

comes along bort posted:

I refer you to one Plissken, Snake.

I thought you were dead.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Kalman posted:

Never, because I'm a lawyer in DC and know the guy both through my law school and through various IP events?
Couple pages back but oooooooh. The way you wrote it I thought you meant you used to work for them. lol my bad

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Rick Perry wears ivory tower smart person glasses now so I don't know if he can maintain his appeal with the conservative base.

I know, isn't it great? He started wearing them shortly after he ended up coming across as a loving moron last election too.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Alkydere posted:

I know, isn't it great? He started wearing them shortly after he ended up coming across as a loving moron last election too.

You realize it's working right?

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

Accretionist posted:

This is a larger article from the NYTimes on the recently proposed changes, it includes more detail on the Strategic Response Groups and also a bevy of concurrently proposed positive changes: N.Y.P.D. Plans Initiatives to Fight Terrorism and Improve Community Relations

I don't think it puts near enough emphasis on the intention to use the SRG against protesters but it's all worth reading:

The hopeful person in me reads this announcement to mean that the new group is charged with unique situations that occur much less frequently than day-to-day policing. So they will be given extra training that reflects the dual mission. However, mentioning Paris/Mumbai and protests in the same breath really makes it sound like they will be applying the same tactics to both.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Huh, maybe here's an issue liberals and conservatives can unite on. gently caress HENRYs

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
When you have a hammer...

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
http://www.thenewcivilrightsmovemen...bcommittee_head

Gay's don't have human rights, saying GOP head on Committee for Human Rights

quote:

U.S. Congressman Chris Smith earlier this week announced gay rights are not human rights. "I am a strong believer in traditional marriage and I do not construe homosexual rights as human rights," Smith said. He also suggested that the Obama administration’s "views on LGBT rights affected or hindered our support for Nigeria to defeat Boko Haram."

The conservative Republican from New Jersey is now under attack by LGBT groups in his home state and nationally, by the Human Rights Campaign.

Heightening the impact of his anti-gay statement is that Rep. Smith is the chairman of the Subcommittee on Africa, Global Health, Global Human Rights, and International Organizations, and made his comments at a meeting of that subcommittee, which is a part of the House Foreign Affairs Committee.

Congressman Smith's remarks were made on Wednesday, perhaps ironically, during a hearing he chaired on Nigeria. That same day, Nigerian law enforcement arrested twelve men accused of holding a same-sex wedding.

“It’s simple: LGBT rights are human rights. It’s shocking that Smith — or anyone in his position — would make such close-minded comments to the contrary,” said Chris Hillmann, Co-Chair of the New Jersey Democratic LGBT Caucus. “For a person in his position to dehumanize such a large segment of our society and to suggest that members of the LGBT community are creating hurdles for U.S. diplomats is appalling on so many levels. Representative Smith should apologize for trying to pit some people’s human rights against those of others.”

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Reihan Salam does not really represent mainstream conservative thought. He's writes think-pieces for Slate and complains about how he isn't invited to Tea Party events. He's the Joe Lieberman of conservative thought.

Mineaiki
Nov 20, 2013

Repeal all gun control in NYC.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Accretionist posted:

I'm going to be stunned if DeBlasio wins reelection.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Christie fell out of a chair

He also jump-hugged Jerry Jones, so there's that.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

I'm going to be stunned if DeBlasio wins reelection.

He won with 73% of the vote the first time around. I don't know a whole lot about NYC politics but is it really that dire?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I'm curious to think of a single situation in which municipal police should be using vehicle-mounted machine guns (I'm guessing .50 BMG? Or maybe miniguns?) to enforce laws. I'm assuming AT mines are next?

Is the idea just to kill everyone at a protest under the presumption that they're terrorists?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

icantfindaname posted:

He won with 73% of the vote the first time around. I don't know a whole lot about NYC politics but is it really that dire?

It isn't. The last mayor who only served a single term in that city was Dinkins, and Dinkins only won his own election with 50.42% to 47.84%. And the one before him, who was Beame the guy before Ed Koch, did manage to get 56% of the vote but that was an election with 3 opponents which made it easier.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Like I'm starting to worry the NYC police union is just going to stage a coup at this point and turn into a police junta

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Radbot posted:

I'm curious to think of a single situation in which municipal police should be using vehicle-mounted machine guns (I'm guessing .50 BMG? Or maybe miniguns?) to enforce laws. I'm assuming AT mines are next?

Is the idea just to kill everyone at a protest under the presumption that they're terrorists?

Automatic weapons are good for worker strikes.

Mineaiki
Nov 20, 2013

Radbot posted:

I would honestly not be shocked if they thought that protesters and the occasional bomb threat warranted a .50 BMG, but it's probably just going to be something in 7.62×51.

I don't know much about the NYPD though. What kind of vehicle would they be putting this on? Do they have humvees?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

icantfindaname posted:

He won with such a huge margin because he appeared to be the antithesis of the old mayor (Bloomberg), who everyone was tired of even before he had the law changed to allow himself a third term, and also because his opponent was a guy who said that he'd kill kittens.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Mineaiki posted:

I would honestly not be shocked if they thought that protesters and the occasional bomb threat warranted a .50 BMG, but it's probably just going to be something in 7.62×51.

I don't know much about the NYPD though. What kind of vehicle would they be putting this on? Do they have humvees?

Probably HMMWV mounted, or whatever armored vehicles they have. Since NYC is much like the ancient city-states of the Italian peninsula it isn't surprising to see them want their own military,

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Sheriff Joe Arpaio is running for re-election.

Quote of the day, "[I'm] sad for my kids, my grandkids, and my country. I leave for Israel tomorrow. I may not come back.” ~ Romney advisor Ron Kaufman.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Mineaiki posted:

They've got APCs. Once you slap some machineguns on those they're only a few soviet antiaircraft guns on pickups and a couple T-72s away from a proper paramilitary.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Joementum posted:

Quote of the day, "[I'm] sad for my kids, my grandkids, and my country. I leave for Israel tomorrow. I may not come back.” ~ Romney advisor Ron Kaufman.

Have fun! Good Riddance

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

haveblue posted:

He won with such a huge margin because he appeared to be the antithesis of the old mayor (Bloomberg), who everyone was tired of even before he had the law changed to allow himself a third term, and also because his opponent was a guy who said that he'd kill kittens.

For those who are aware: that line about killing kittens? Not even an exaggeration.

Christ man, there's just some things you don't say.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

quote:

Congressman Smith's remarks were made on Wednesday, perhaps ironically, during a hearing he chaired on Nigeria. That same day, Nigerian law enforcement arrested twelve men accused of holding a same-sex wedding.
SA has truly made a negative impact on the world at large.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Radbot posted:

The idea is to intimidate the living poo poo out of protesters, full-stop.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

If you bring vehicle mounted weapons to a protest, it is only a matter of time before they are used. And poo poo will go way downhill. I feel like I need to get the gently caress out of the USA.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Doctor Butts posted:

If you bring vehicle mounted weapons to a protest, it is only a matter of time before they are used. And poo poo will go way downhill. I feel like I need to get the gently caress out of the USA.

Seriously. All it will take is the police bring in these things, some guy starts taking pot shots from a rooftop, police mow down protesters in response. Congratulations on your Boston Massacre reenactment!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
And then the national guard comes in and kills all the lovely cops. Obama wins.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Doctor Butts posted:

This is part of the lovely cycle of American history. We're basically in 1965 except somebody forgot to include MLK this time around.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

site posted:

Uh, the National Guard doesn't exactly have the best record with protesters.

somethings-happening-here.jpg

Edit: close enough

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jan 30, 2015

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

site posted:

Shut up you're spoiling Obama's plan to cancel the 20122016 election and declare himself God King.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Also, judging by almost all of the terrorist attacks I've ever heard of, vehicle mounted guns are loving worthless unless NYPD seriously loving thinks that they're going to be in a sustained conflict for hours on end. And if that's the case, it's not going to do you any good.

gently caress. By the time the armed vehicle gets there, poo poo would already be over and it would only be good for hanging crime scene tape around.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jan 30, 2015

• Locked thread