Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

apathetic JAP posted:

My program is a four year associates too. Same set up, except pharmacology is taught within each clinical component as opposed to having a separate class.

I just started mine two weeks ago but I love it so far.

It will in all seriousness be, at times, the most frustrating difficult miserable experience of your life. One of the few other guys in my program is a Marine, and he says in terms of sheer psychology, the frustration and exasperation of nursing school blows the military out of the water.

However, you will learn a poo poo-ton, both about nursing and about yourself. If you can make it through the program you will have a fantastic career ahead of you with no shortage of opportunities (get a BSN) and you can work literally anywhere.

If you have any questions feel free to post them here or PM me if you don't feel like waiting, and I'll do my best to answer them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

Annath posted:

no shortage of opportunities (get a BSN) and you can work literally anywhere.

Well... depending on where you live and what you're willing to do as your first job.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Roki B posted:

How soon till you graduate? You find a mate yet? I work with my wife on the same unit and I highly recommend another nurse as a partner.

Do you work the same shift as her? I don't know if I could handle that.

apathetic JAP
Dec 28, 2011

it tastes like pink.

Annath posted:

It will in all seriousness be, at times, the most frustrating difficult miserable experience of your life. One of the few other guys in my program is a Marine, and he says in terms of sheer psychology, the frustration and exasperation of nursing school blows the military out of the water.

However, you will learn a poo poo-ton, both about nursing and about yourself. If you can make it through the program you will have a fantastic career ahead of you with no shortage of opportunities (get a BSN) and you can work literally anywhere.

If you have any questions feel free to post them here or PM me if you don't feel like waiting, and I'll do my best to answer them.

Thank you! I'm taking my first clinical class now and it's already a lot of work. For the first four weeks us baby students are given clinical assignments like "interview an elderly person," watching babies, toddlers and preschoolers at daycare and relating their behavior to Erikson's stages and "interview a family with a teenager." That way we have time to learn vitals, bathing and bed making before we head to the assisted living centers and nursing homes. Apparently, the workload will be tripling once we hit week five, because that's when we actually go to our clinical sites and we'll have a poo poo ton of paperwork to do. For each clinical class we have a 4 hour lecture once a week, an hour long seminar, 3 hours of lab and 6 hours at our clinical site.

Did I mention I have two young children (6 and 1)? Should be fun! :shepicide:

I absolutely plan on getting my BSN, and hopefully an advanced degree after that. Luckily, some (very few) hospitals here in the Philadelphia area will hire ADN RNs as long as they either are a) accepted into/enrolled in a BSN program or b) promise to get their BSN in X number of years, and sign a contract promising that fact. Bonus: most places have some sort of tuition reimbursement and the BSN programs around here are excellent. I'm only doing it this way cause it's cheaper.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jul 19, 2016

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider

Hughmoris posted:

Do you work the same shift as her? I don't know if I could handle that.

Yes and it loving rules.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
I always had a hard time buckling down to study during nursing school and I have found that taking some nootropics on my daily medication regimen helped out tremendously.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Etrips posted:

I always had a hard time buckling down to study during nursing school and I have found that taking some nootropics on my daily medication regimen helped out tremendously.

What is a nootropic? Will it give me alzheimers?

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Annath posted:

What is a nootropic? Will it give me alzheimers?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3449570

fakeedit: I am not affiliated with LTEC. He is just a superawesome businessman and answers any questions you might have. Also there is a nootropics megathread somewhere.

edit2: Nootropics Megathread

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
What stuff do you use? With NCLEX prep coming up it might be useful.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Annath posted:

What stuff do you use? With NCLEX prep coming up it might be useful.

I take piracetam (not to be confused with pramiracetam) on a daily basis since. Since it is a water soluble compound, it takes some time for it to build effectiveness and you have to keep on taking it on a regular basis.

Back when I was in nursing school my regimen looked like this:
4x piracetam (2 caps bid)
2x choline bitrate (od)
2x oxiracetam (od)
1-2x pramiracetam (prn) This I used whenever I would know I would buckle down and study for long periods of time. This is a fat soluble compound so it works instantly.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Etrips posted:

I take piracetam (not to be confused with pramiracetam) on a daily basis since. Since it is a water soluble compound, it takes some time for it to build effectiveness and you have to keep on taking it on a regular basis.

Back when I was in nursing school my regimen looked like this:
4x piracetam (2 caps bid)
2x choline bitrate (od)
2x oxiracetam (od)
1-2x pramiracetam (prn) This I used whenever I would know I would buckle down and study for long periods of time. This is a fat soluble compound so it works instantly.

Good to know. After reading up on some of these, it looks like as long as I keep myself fed I shouldn't have any blood sugar issues (DMII, oral meds only, well managed).

Still, might not take as much as you were, at least initially.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
My wife pops oxiracetam tabs before every test and says it helps big time.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Was always skeptical of that stuff but might have to give it a go

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Was always skeptical of that stuff but might have to give it a go

It works, I should probably get back on it to be honest.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Thinking of switching careers in the health field, from the physical therapy realm to nursing. I've always been interested in the more medical side of things, and I applied to nursing and PTA school back in the day (got into both, went PTA). I've got a lot of patient care experience, along with EMR experience, and the musculoskeletal and nervous system down. I've got a BS already so pre-reqs are done, but the being married and having a tiny one will definitely be different for me if I head back to school.

Any advice for switching careers mid stream and going through nursing school with family responsibilities? I'm not looking to do this until 2016 at the earliest, due to various things.

Koala Food
Nov 16, 2010

Three weeks into ABSN and we are already studying for our first final. Also, the professors keep getting injured and rearranging our schedule same day of class.
They told us to learn to roll with it since the real world has plans change at the last second too, but some of my classmates are feeling like the program isn't well-run and are second-guessing themselves.

Luckily I've been through a "rough organization" period in school before, so I'm not as worried as some of them are.

I take piracetam in my coffee every morning and have been thinking about trying oxiracetam. Noopept made me incredibly outgoing and peppy, but also incredibly forgetful. While having the personality traits of a dog was fun, I don't think it's beneficial for school.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jul 19, 2016

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
Anybody getting forced to go the their states nursing convention? Our whole school has to go, luckily it is in atlantic city.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Whatever you do, make sure your school/program is accredited.

Like holy poo poo don't waste your money and time on a program that's not accredited.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jul 19, 2016

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

What's the best community flashcard type site? That has ios/apps as well. Being able to add pictures would be cool

I'm envisioning having a link for our class where people can share poo poo and make some or just me w/e. Then pull it up on web or mobile.

Check out bluestacks

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Are all online RN-to-BSN programs a joke? Cause mine is, and it's from a full fledged accredited state university. I pay them lots of money, they give me 3 semesters of busy work and then a diploma.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Yeah all local schools around me are - I've checked them out. I've done the A&P combo and separate classes already for my previous degrees. And I've been through clinicals. So, it won't be the same as what I've done, but there enough similarities to what I did in school and in work that I've got a clear head. Just gotta figure out how to handle the drastic cut in pay with kid and the husband.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Hughmoris posted:

Are all online RN-to-BSN programs a joke? Cause mine is, and it's from a full fledged accredited state university. I pay them lots of money, they give me 3 semesters of busy work and then a diploma.

Honestly the difference between the actual nursing component of an ADN program and a BSN program is very minimal

The major difference is really all in the prerequisite courses. With a BSN you're required to you get your typical baccalaureate "well rounded-ness."

Example: ADN's only need like Anatomy & Physiology I & II, Microbio, and Freshman composition or some poo poo.

Where for my BSN I needed Anatomy I & II, Microbio, Chemistry I & II, Nutrition, College Algebra, Statistics, Sociology, Psychology, & Developmental Psych for the sciences and then for the arts English I & II, History I & II, Government I & II, Philosophy, and an art elective

So that's really where the difference lies. The only real difference nursing wise is that we had to take Community Health, Research, and Management. So yeah if you're gonna stretch that out over three semesters it's just gonna be busy work and a degree handed to you.

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jan 31, 2015

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Bum the Sad posted:

Honestly the difference between the actual nursing component of an ADN program and a BSN program is very minimal

The major difference is really all in the prerequisite courses. With a BSN you're required to you get your typical baccalaureate "well rounded-ness."

Example: ADN's only need like Anatomy & Physiology I & II, Microbio, and Freshman composition or some poo poo.

Where for my BSN I needed Anatomy I & II, Microbio, Chemistry I & II, Nutrition, College Algebra, Statistics, Sociology, Psychology, & Developmental Psych for the sciences and then for the arts English I & II, History I & II, Government I & II, Philosophy, and an art elective

So that's really where the difference lies. The only real difference nursing wise is that we had to take Community Health, Research, and Management. So yeah if you're gonna stretch that out over three semesters it's just gonna be busy work and a degree handed to you.

Yeah, I had all of my BSN pre-reqs knocked by the time I completed my ADN. For me, my RN-to-BSN track consists of 10 online classes then a degree. Easy breezy and a means to an end.

Now I have to decide if I want to pursue an MSN, or maybe something in Biomed.

How is the CRNA stuff going?

LordAnkh
Sep 18, 2011

Hughmoris posted:

Do you mean RN-BSN bridge programs where licensed registered nurses go back to school for their BSN? Most of those online programs are legit, you just have to check their accreditation. Furthermore, it's a good rule of thumb to stick to a brick & mortar school for your BSN.

LordAnkh
Sep 18, 2011
Is it a bad idea to apply for jobs before your graduate or take your NCLEX? I live in NY and plan on applying upstate in places like Albany, Rochester, Buffalo, etc. for jobs. Do you think it would hurt my chances or should I just wait till I have my RN license.

Dirp
May 16, 2007
I applied to a bunch of new grad programs really early and got hired 2 months before I graduated. If you're applying for normal nursing jobs a lot of hospitals won't even look at you until you have your license.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Etrips posted:

Check out bluestacks

Will do thanks!

ApplePirate
Nov 4, 2006
He's dead. You killed him when you left the door open with the air conditioner on.

LordAnkh posted:

Is it a bad idea to apply for jobs before your graduate or take your NCLEX? I live in NY and plan on applying upstate in places like Albany, Rochester, Buffalo, etc. for jobs. Do you think it would hurt my chances or should I just wait till I have my RN license.

No it won't hurt your chances. I'm in Rochester and I know quite a few people who were hired at Strong, Highland, or Rochester General before they had taken the NCLEX, myself included. Don't know how it is in other cities, but there are plenty of jobs here. I went to school in Buffalo and I know a few people who had trouble getting jobs out there and ended up in Rochester. I think Kaleida had a hiring freeze for awhile. Anyway the point is, go ahead and apply. It was really nice having a job lined up early.

LordAnkh
Sep 18, 2011

ApplePirate posted:

No it won't hurt your chances. I'm in Rochester and I know quite a few people who were hired at Strong, Highland, or Rochester General before they had taken the NCLEX, myself included. Don't know how it is in other cities, but there are plenty of jobs here. I went to school in Buffalo and I know a few people who had trouble getting jobs out there and ended up in Rochester. I think Kaleida had a hiring freeze for awhile. Anyway the point is, go ahead and apply. It was really nice having a job lined up early.

Thanks for the advice. If I graduate in June, should I apply starting in May?

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Hughmoris posted:

How is the CRNA stuff going?
Learning a fuckload but getting bored. Ready to get out of class and into clinical I'm getting fat and cirrhotic.

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jan 31, 2015

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!

LordAnkh posted:

Thanks for the advice. If I graduate in June, should I apply starting in May?

What possible advantage could waiting offer you?

Begin applying yesterday. Look for openings aimed at spring grads.

LordAnkh
Sep 18, 2011

end mill facade posted:

What possible advantage could waiting offer you?

Begin applying yesterday. Look for openings aimed at spring grads.

Thanks for the advice dude. I just don't want recruiters to go "This chump hasn't even graduated yet". Definitely in the NYC area most positions won't even look at you without 1-2 years experience + a BSN.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"
Half my class had jobs lined up before we even graduated, let alone took NCLEX.

LordAnkh
Sep 18, 2011
My thing is also how long they'll keep the job for you until you graduate. I mean if I apply now in February who says that they have to keep my position until July when I'm licensed? But if I apply in May or June then it's less time for them to wait.

Atma McCuddles
Sep 2, 2007

LordAnkh posted:

My thing is also how long they'll keep the job for you until you graduate. I mean if I apply now in February who says that they have to keep my position until July when I'm licensed? But if I apply in May or June then it's less time for them to wait.

You're overestimating the speed of bureaucracy. Seriously don't put it off any longer.

LordAnkh
Sep 18, 2011
Seems reasonable and at worst they'll have my resume for months. So on my resume, I have to clearly state I am expecting to graduate and take the NCLEX right? I graduate in June, so I assume I'll take the NCLEX sometime in late July to give myself time to study.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
Maybe it's just me, but applying for jobs now when you won't be licensed for another six months seems really premature. Job openings are listed because the position is open and needs to be filled.

I could see applying a month or two prior to boards but not any earlier than that. Employers like for you to know the date you are taking your boards too. FWIW at my hospital, the posting period for nursing jobs is two weeks. The positions are usually filled in a month and orientation starts soon thereafter.

Also many job applications require that you state whether or not you are licensed. If they can fill an open position now with a licensed person, they won't wait six months for you.

Unless the job specifically mentions new grads or a later start date, or unless you already work at the hospital and have connections, applying this early is probably a waste of time.