Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I keep reading Roman as Rowan and it makes me really excited, then sad.

Well, that's my contribution to the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Triple H will probably announce a match between Reigns and Axel, Axel will get a big pop, then Reigns will squash him.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I dunno if you're being sarcastic or not but I actually legit agree. I mean yes, it was terribly executed but goddamn, dude went for a long shot and I respect that, especially given recent (justified) criticisms.

Not sarcastic. Trying out new moves/spots to see if they work for you is something I won't ever blame a guy for. If it doesn't work, then hopefully he's learned from it and if it does, he's a better wrestler. I assume the hurracanrana spot will lead to the apron dropkick if he keeps it.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Did you know: Roman doing a terrible hurricanrana on a SmackDown was intended by him as a direct and personal insult to the life and family of Eddie Guerrero?

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Sting is going to help Roman keep his mania spot and sting will then be booed

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

projecthalaxy posted:

Did you know: Roman doing a terrible hurricanrana on a SmackDown was intended by him as a direct and personal insult to the life and family of Eddie Guerrero?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

BGrifter posted:

Yeah I'm glad they unified the belts, but Bryan vs Brock with the Big Gold Belt while Reigns chases John Cena's bedazzled piece of poo poo would have been a lot more palatable.

If they hadn't unified the titles, Bryan would've been going after the fake/practice world title against Big Show or something last year.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I dunno if you're being sarcastic or not but I actually legit agree. I mean yes, it was terribly executed but goddamn, dude went for a long shot and I respect that, especially given recent (justified) criticisms.

I just want to know whose bonehead idea it was for Roman to try that in the first place. Yes, Roman needs to diversify his work, but his appeal is big powerhouse, give him some more moves in that vein. I get that he's not going to bust out a suplex on Big Show, but there has to be something better than trying to incorporate some half-assed Rey Mysterio move. Even if he pulled it off flawlessly, it still would have looked dumb.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

oldpainless posted:

Not sarcastic. Trying out new moves/spots to see if they work for you is something I won't ever blame a guy for. If it doesn't work, then hopefully he's learned from it and if it does, he's a better wrestler. I assume the hurracanrana spot will lead to the apron dropkick if he keeps it.

you dont try those things on tv though

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

i came to see roman reigns do a springboard dragonrana to the outside

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

It was nice of Roman to make me laugh , but I'd prefer to be impressed and enjoy his matches instead

Red
Apr 15, 2003

StarkRavingMad posted:

I just want to know whose bonehead idea it was for Roman to try that in the first place. Yes, Roman needs to diversify his work, but his appeal is big powerhouse, give him some more moves in that vein. I get that he's not going to bust out a suplex on Big Show, but there has to be something better than trying to incorporate some half-assed Rey Mysterio move. Even if he pulled it off flawlessly, it still would have looked dumb.

Good call. Roman should use headbutts, Samoan drops, gorilla presses, backdrops, bodyslams, powerslams, lariats, belly-to-belly suplexes, sidewalk slams, and other simple/powerful stuff.

Spermgod posted:

you dont try those things on tv though

Exactly. I would put money on Cena having used the hurricanrana at house shows a dozen times before busting it out on TV.

:smith: Unless Roman has been doing them, and this is the result of 2 months' practice on house shows.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
That hurricanroman made me wish that Luke Harper was the one getting the push. Harper's dropkick looks like the Incredible Hulk threw a truck at someone.

Also, I don't think the superman punch photographs well. In most still photos I see of it, he looks like George Costanza jumping over a puddle.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
he knows..
the problem with roman doing power moves is i think he doesn't actually have a great deal of functional strength. at least we've never seen any indication that he does but he did just have a hernia.

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

StarkRavingMad posted:

Vince: The smarks were impressed for a second that one time Cena did a Frankensteiner. Tell him to do something like that DAMNIT! Now get the hell out of my office!

(I may have been listening to too much of the Lapsed Fan podcast)

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Spermgod posted:

the problem with roman doing power moves is i think he doesn't actually have a great deal of functional strength. at least we've never seen any indication that he does but he did just have a hernia.

He's callow and weak.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
I won't be satisfied till Roman Reigns is doing moves like this.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=q6v9yhspgQo

Get to work Roman. :colbert:

Edit: I love that the top Youtube recommendation on that video for me is a compilation of Kevin Nash jackknife powerbombs.

BGrifter fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jan 30, 2015

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Orgophlax posted:

Triple H will probably announce a match between Reigns and Axel, Axel will get a big pop, then Reigns will squash him.

Please let this happen. The reaction to this would be fanfuckingtastic.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

StarkRavingMad posted:

I just want to know whose bonehead idea it was for Roman to try that in the first place.

It's quite simple really, John Cena does a rana

senseinobu
Jul 28, 2008

So wait are they doing Bryan vs The Rock or what?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

senseinobu posted:

They could be doing Rock vs HHH. They did tease it last year.

Or maybe they'll do Rock vs HHH vs Sting, see who the true champion of the Attitude Era is*

*Stone Cold Steve Austin

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Vince wants his big pretty hoss, but he also wants his underdog fighting Goliaths. The outcome is the face can only work Big Show and Kane, because everyone else is David against him.

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

senseinobu posted:

Hah. They'd have to bring back Rock as a heel. Remember a year and a half ago when the crowd booed Shawn Michaels over Bryan's loss at Hell in a Cell and cheered when he was put in the Yes! Lock?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The Rock will be banned from wrestling at WM31. He wasn't going to anyway, but still.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

Gaz-L posted:

Vince wants his big pretty hoss, but he also wants his underdog fighting Goliaths. The outcome is the face can only work Big Show and Kane, because everyone else is David against him.

they could have a chickenshit heel who cheats at every turn, stalls, begs off when the other guy gets the advantage etc and it wouldnt matter if he was small but that would require someone to actually work as a heel which is apparently not allowed in WWE now because ???

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I want Bully/Bubba Ray to come back (continue coming back) and have brutal hoss offs with Ryback and Wyatt. I also want Roman Reigns to get trapped in a canvas bag.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

I really don't understand where they're going if what the Rock did is going to be the controversy - making the save on 2 heels no longer in the match is so far from being a rule-breaking action that anything done to punish Reigns for it is going to come off as absurd and arbitrary. On top of that, they have already been doing the 'Reigns was given a ticket' on RAW, so making the Authority super anti-Reigns all of a sudden is running counter to that narrative, especially when The Authority don't seem to be on Lesnar's side at all, and their guy Rollins would want the title off Lesnar anyway.
The other option is that HHH is tryin to feud with the Rock again, but that's not going to happen this year so why bother.

Plus, faking out that they're going to make good on their lovely booking then plow on with their normal storyline anyway is just going to antagonise the live fans even further.

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat
I know people keep saying Roman is a power dude who should keep doing power moves, but is he actually in any way a power dude? I mean the triple powerbomb which was his big finisher thing during the shield era was dean and seth doing all the lifting and roman hoverhanding the guy as he falls. The samoan drop features no lifting, just a guy jumping and roman falling.

I don't think I've ever seen Roman do a single power move which wasn't set up for him like a four year old on his dads shoulders doing a slam dunk. He also isn't fast or agile nor is he a convincing brawler. What the hell is roman besides a couple of baby spots they would give to guys like Dennis Rodman for them to get over easy.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Blasmeister posted:

I really don't understand where they're going

I don't think WWE knows where they are going either, that's why they're being very vague about things. HHH says he will address "the controversy" but doesn't really spell it out. The WWE.com article might be where they think they're heading now, but we'll see what happens on Raw.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

projecthalaxy posted:

I want Bully/Bubba Ray to come back (continue coming back) and have brutal hoss offs with Ryback and Wyatt. I also want Roman Reigns to get trapped in a canvas bag.

Yeah, I was surprised how much I liked seeing Bubba face to face with Harper and Wyatt.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Authorman posted:

What the hell is roman

Nepotistic charity case. 100% only there because his cousin. Erik Watts.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Blasmeister posted:

Plus, faking out that they're going to make good on their lovely booking then plow on with their normal storyline anyway is just going to antagonise the live fans even further.

As said, they haven't decided where they're going, only that they need to say something to keep their options open.

It's not so much antagonizing the fans as keeping that tiny sliver of hope that they'll do the right thing* alive.

*Note that Vince's idea of the right thing runs 100% contrary to that of sane human beings.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

I find it so weird that they brought nepotism into the question with that interview, but they're still pushing along with him as a face.

Does/did anyone actually think the Reigns thing is nepotism? It's not that weird to be a second generation guy in WWE and guys like Cody and Bray are in pretty iffy spots despite being good.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Authorman posted:

I know people keep saying Roman is a power dude who should keep doing power moves, but is he actually in any way a power dude? I mean the triple powerbomb which was his big finisher thing during the shield era was dean and seth doing all the lifting and roman hoverhanding the guy as he falls. The samoan drop features no lifting, just a guy jumping and roman falling.

I don't think I've ever seen Roman do a single power move which wasn't set up for him like a four year old on his dads shoulders doing a slam dunk. He also isn't fast or agile nor is he a convincing brawler. What the hell is roman besides a couple of baby spots they would give to guys like Dennis Rodman for them to get over easy.

The more I think about it, Roman's hernia could be a severe limit on his long-term potential. I'm trying to think of big power moves that don't require some core lifting and there's... a powerslam? Maybe a spinning spinebuster where you can take advantage of your opponent's momentum?

He could start doing the Rock Bottom! :haw:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Endless Mike posted:

Rollins is being booked as a cowardly heel who needs stooges to keep him safe. For as great as he's doing in that role, it's exactly NOT the kind of character that should be used as an enforcer.

i kind of hate his cowardly heel character now because it makes no freaking sense for a cowardly chickenshit heel to do super-risky high spots!!!

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Alain Post posted:

i kind of hate his cowardly heel character now because it makes no freaking sense for a cowardly chickenshit heel to do super-risky high spots!!!

He seems less like a coward and more of an opportunist dick that cheats because he can.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Lumbermouth posted:

The more I think about it, Roman's hernia could be a severe limit on his long-term potential. I'm trying to think of big power moves that don't require some core lifting and there's... a powerslam? Maybe a spinning spinebuster where you can take advantage of your opponent's momentum?

He could start doing the Rock Bottom! :haw:

Yeah, when I say he should be doing power moves, I don't necessarily mean he needs to be doing gorilla presses here. More high-impact brawler moves. Rocky's spinebuster just requires the other guy to jump with you, really. HHH used to use an atomic drop in the same vein and he had his weird high-knee move too. Austin had..the Thesz press? I don't know, there has to be stuff he can pull off which isn't as weird as that Romanarana. Or just some credible brawling for transitions.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Authorman posted:

I mean, come on, he's got muscles and stuff

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

The Bee posted:

He seems less like a coward and more of an opportunist dick that cheats because he can.

yeah, it's cool when he cheats or has J&J interfere. that self-destructive high-spot offense where you sell your own risky moves is like, total Jeff Hardy stuff though, and Jeff Hardy is one of the best WWE faces of the last 15 years.

he works better as a face, is what I'm saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
just get lawler to teach him how to throw a worked punch and he'll be good

• Locked thread