Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

VERTiG0 posted:

$42/mo for Ninja 300, $83/mo for CBR500R or CB500F.

Thanks for the replies guys. It's been years since I rode anything remotely sporty.

Agreed with the 300. Only reason I'd hesitate is if you're above 6', the 300 just isn't designed for taller people (read: fairing that attacks your knees).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Barnsy posted:

Agreed with the 300. Only reason I'd hesitate is if you're above 6', the 300 just isn't designed for taller people (read: fairing that attacks your knees).

Hmm, I'm 6'1". My nearest Kawasaki dealer is 45 minutes away so I haven't had a chance to sit on one yet.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Do that first. I didn't think 6'1" on an ex250 was too bad and I still don't, I am just more aware of how ridiculous it looks now. I don't know how the 250 and 300 compare size wise but I bet the 300 didn't get smaller so..........

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

It all depends on how you're built too. I'm 5-11 and can flat foot bikes my 6 foot friend had to tip toe on.
Always do a good long sit (ride if you can) before you buy.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I'm 6'1 and rode a 250 for two years. It wasn't ever that uncomfortable but I do remember being called a "gorilla on a tricycle" more than once.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

VERTiG0 posted:

Hmm, I'm 6'1". My nearest Kawasaki dealer is 45 minutes away so I haven't had a chance to sit on one yet.

Try before you buy. I'm quite happy on a cbr250 (I'm 6'4) but just couldn't fit on the 300. Basically depends on proportions more than anything. And no matter what, if you're more than 6' you're going to look like a gorilla on a tricycle.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
"Tell me what bike to buy!" Everyone is over 6' or under 5' 2".

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

El Jebus posted:

"Tell me what bike to buy!" Everyone is over 6' or under 5' 2".

Perhaps proving that goons are not average humans?

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Barnsy posted:

Perhaps proving that goons are not average humans?

Hey now, I'm quite average! I'm 5' 10".

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

El Jebus posted:

Hey now, I'm quite average! I'm 5' 10".

And I'm willing to bet you either have a freakishly long or short torso. C/D?

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

Chichevache posted:

And I'm willing to bet you either have a freakishly long or short torso. C/D?

Neither, but I ride a Harley, so none of that matters since I just flip everyone the bird as I ride by in a wife beater and brain bucket.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

El Jebus posted:

Neither, but I ride a Harley,

*hiss*a different kind of freak

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

hot sauce posted:

I'm 6'1 and rode a 250 for two years. It wasn't ever that uncomfortable but I do remember being called a "gorilla on a tricycle" more than once.

Man, Hnasty is a jerk

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

nsaP posted:

Man, Hnasty is a jerk

Nah he was down with the ninja other than the fact that it was so slow in a straight line. I can't remember who made the gorilla joeks.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
So if I were to be looking for the funnest bike I can have (to sit alongside my beloved pregen ninjette) for around 5 large, what would be the best thing ever?

Right now I am looking at things like 2008-ish 600cc Japanese sportbikes or like light sport touring bikes like the GSX650F. Anything good that I'm missing? CBR 600RR or F4i, maybe a ZZR or a ZX6R? What about the YZF R6 or the FZ6R or poo poo maybe I can find a DR-Z400 SM.

On the other hand, would I be better off with something insaner, like a high-mileage literbike or something like a Falco?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

captainOrbital posted:

So if I were to be looking for the funnest bike I can have...

...the GSX650F.

:raise:

In seriousness, depends on what you think is fun. Screaming the tits off a 600SS or crazy thumpy v-twin wheelies. You'll probably learn more on a 600 I think.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

captainOrbital posted:

So if I were to be looking for the funnest bike I can have (to sit alongside my beloved pregen ninjette) for around 5 large, what would be the best thing ever?

Right now I am looking at things like 2008-ish 600cc Japanese sportbikes or like light sport touring bikes like the GSX650F. Anything good that I'm missing? CBR 600RR or F4i, maybe a ZZR or a ZX6R? What about the YZF R6 or the FZ6R or poo poo maybe I can find a DR-Z400 SM.

On the other hand, would I be better off with something insaner, like a high-mileage literbike or something like a Falco?

The Falco's got a fantastic engine and will definitely be way more fun that anything on that list, but they're ridiculously rare even by Aprilia standards. get a V2 Tuono instead - same (or more) fun, but parts that can be got without asking for a favour from Don Corleone.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
What about an RSV Mille?

Alternatively, would it be dumb to get a Tuono with like 30k miles? Or an '07 Monster 695 with 17k miles?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

captainOrbital posted:

For me, for $5k, right now: Buell S3T with the cases, lowers, and airbox still on it. Should be enough room in a $5k budget to put in a baker 6 speed, too.

Tuonos are a pretty good bad decision. Their have a valve interval at like 24k IIRC, so make sure that's been done.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Someone on CT was selling a Buell M2 Cyclone SIGNED BY GODSMACK holy hell what a deal

Also what is a 1125 CR?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Haha, there are enough signed by Erik floating around that why would anybody be interested in one signed by GODSMACK?

A 1125CR is a Rotax powered Buell with a 6-speed gearbox. It's the "cafe racer" model, meaning it's naked. Think about 120hp at the wheel.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

captainOrbital posted:

What about an RSV Mille?

Alternatively, would it be dumb to get a Tuono with like 30k miles? Or an '07 Monster 695 with 17k miles?

The Mille is a fantastic bike (easily the most capable bike i've ever owned) but I wouldn't actually call it "fun". It's uncomfortable at low speeds and has really high gearing. The Tuono has 95% of the handling but accelerates harder thanks to lower gearing, is more comfortable, and will be as fast as if not faster than the Mille on the road.

If the PO isn't an idiot 30k miles isn't that massive - the engine, brakes and suspension will all still be fine (although the latter maybe in need of some care), as long as it's clean and been looked after it won't be a problem. Of course if it's *not* been looked after you're in for a world of hurt.

Their only real vices are lunching the starter, and occasional random oil leaks. This and the fact that it utterly destroys batteries (someone here mentioned the Rotax twin is used as a the standard metric for testing the resilience of a battery in some magazine tests) can all safely be filed under "character" IMO.

Reliability-wise I'd take a Tuono of any vintage over a Monster of equivalent vintage. Also the Tuono's starter motor would probably have more punch than a baby Monster's entire engine.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Hmm, nice. I have always wanted a Tuono, but have been afraid of the Italianness of them. I'm OK with replacing batteries here and there. I'm going to have to keep a close eye on the used market for Tuonos in the midwest in the next couple months.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

I had an old Tuono (great bike) and the only real gotcha is the electric system, although it would be best to buy one with good maintenance and record keeping as they are slightly more finnicky than a japanese bike. The regulators can go bad, other than that a bigger battery helps a lot, putting good LEDs in the brake/tail lights helped noticably with current draw and there are some wires and connectors prone to melting that I re-soldered. Also the rear brake is useless and a real pain in the rear end to bleed right the way it was designed.

Other than 'normal bike stuff' bring a multimeter and check the battery voltage off/on/on+~3-4krpm.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

captainOrbital posted:

Don't bother with the FZ6r. The FZ6 is a good bike though.

Can you buy a dorsoduro for 5k?

E: Not that the r version is all that bad, it's just the 'detuned' version of the FZ6. Which already has a slightly reworked r6 motor in it (less top end, more midrange power).

E2: Used WR450 supermoto.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Feb 3, 2015

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The Mille is a fantastic bike (easily the most capable bike i've ever owned) but I wouldn't actually call it "fun". It's uncomfortable at low speeds and has really high gearing. The Tuono has 95% of the handling but accelerates harder thanks to lower gearing, is more comfortable, and will be as fast as if not faster than the Mille on the road.

If the PO isn't an idiot 30k miles isn't that massive - the engine, brakes and suspension will all still be fine (although the latter maybe in need of some care), as long as it's clean and been looked after it won't be a problem. Of course if it's *not* been looked after you're in for a world of hurt.

Their only real vices are lunching the starter, and occasional random oil leaks. This and the fact that it utterly destroys batteries (someone here mentioned the Rotax twin is used as a the standard metric for testing the resilience of a battery in some magazine tests) can all safely be filed under "character" IMO.

Reliability-wise I'd take a Tuono of any vintage over a Monster of equivalent vintage. Also the Tuono's starter motor would probably have more punch than a baby Monster's entire engine.

Infinotize posted:

I had an old Tuono (great bike) and the only real gotcha is the electric system, although it would be best to buy one with good maintenance and record keeping as they are slightly more finnicky than a japanese bike. The regulators can go bad, other than that a bigger battery helps a lot, putting good LEDs in the brake/tail lights helped noticably with current draw and there are some wires and connectors prone to melting that I re-soldered. Also the rear brake is useless and a real pain in the rear end to bleed right the way it was designed.

Other than 'normal bike stuff' bring a multimeter and check the battery voltage off/on/on+~3-4krpm.

Yeah but on the other hand the Tuono is only one step up from a versys in the ugliness game while the Mille is a wonderful looking bike.

chupacabron
Oct 30, 2004

Marxalot posted:

Don't bother with the FZ6r.

What's wrong with the 6r? I was cross shopping that with a CBR650F.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Yeah but on the other hand the Tuono is only one step up from a versys in the ugliness game while the Mille is a wonderful looking bike.

The V2 Tuono is just a Mille with the fairing off, it's the V4s that have been hit with the ugly stick.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The tuono looks like a crashed doer-upper. Everyone will ask you if a. you crashed or b. you bought it to fix up. The mille looks like an actual bike with deliberate styling decisions that amount to more than just 'take everything off and alter nothing, it'll look awesome!'. Styling and proportion and aesthetics and poo poo.

The V4 tuono is average I guess. Has two headlights to set it apart from all the rest, and looks like it's related to it's parent bike, It's got that going for it over other bikes in it's class. As well as being crazy fast too.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

El Mike-o posted:

What's wrong with the 6r? I was cross shopping that with a CBR650F.

They're supposed to be pretty good bikes, but he was saying he's considering sportbikes/sport touring bikes and mentioned the FZ6r right alongside a list of things that make twice the power that it does.
The FZ6r is a pretty chill (64bhp & 38ft/lbs torque), fully faired, and cheap bike that seems to fit the "beginner sportbike" thing fairly well. I honestly don't know that much about them.
The plain FZ6 is basically a detuned R6 (97bhp & 46ft/lbs) with an upright seating position and basically goes forever without breaking. Which is basically why I bought one. It's comfortable, easy, tame on the highway, and easy to sit on literally all day while you ride halfway across Texas listening to spotify or something. My only real complaint is that the clutch has a friction zone measured in micros.

Comedy video of a chode who can't launch his FZ6 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1dcaKTJ8_8

e: Max speed videos are a dumb way to compare bikes, but I threw them in to show the difference between how much power they make. It's alot larger than the comparison between the R6 and the FZ6.

e2: Comedy FZ1 with a turbo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eEB34tVvBc

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Feb 3, 2015

chupacabron
Oct 30, 2004

Funnily enough I just sat on one today and was really put off by it. It feels much bigger than the CBR despite weighing less and having a smaller engine.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

VERTiG0 posted:

$42/mo for Ninja 300, $83/mo for CBR500R or CB500F.

Speaking of insurance again, I don't get it. $38/mo for a Ninja 650R or $114/mo for an ER-6N. They're the same goddamn bike.

VERTiG0 fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Feb 4, 2015

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

VERTiG0 posted:

Speaking of insurance again, I don't get it. $38/mo for a Ninja 650R or $114/mo for an ER-6N. They're the same goddamn bike.

Fairings are just safer man

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

VERTiG0 posted:

What the bike is doesn't matter, it's all about where the statistics fall. Sounds like people in your state-approved demographic, in your geographic area, wreck more ER-6Ns than 650Rs. Or they're stolen more often or something.

Compare the different coverages. Which has the greatest difference in premium from bike to bike? Might shed some light.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Feb 4, 2015

HAMAS HATE BOAT
Jun 5, 2010
The ER-6N was also sold for only a very brief period in the US, so there are a lot fewer of them, so a few bad cases can send the statistics off the rails whereas the ninja 650 has a lot more volume so a few crashes or thefts probably won't affect the class as a whole as badly.

Also its possible that more people put frame sliders on ninjas and/or the fairings may be effectively a sacrificial layer in small low speed newbie style drops, so while we might look at the bike and think "expensive plastics to replace" the insurance experience may be that every time the naked bike gets dropped the frame gets a scratch and it has to be totaled out.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

This morning I saw a triumph sprint with the triple under-seat exhausts. I used to be strictly against ST's, my reasoning being you should either get a naked bike or a sportbike or a full tourer instead of sitting on the fence. But I've warmed to the idea. Second-gen sprints are very well priced here and they're good looking enough that I'd consider buying one.

Are these bikes any good at all to ride? How similar/different are they to speed triples of the same era? Cause the price difference here is enormous (both models of naked triumph cost moon money for some reason) yet I can't see any mechanical difference between the bikes besides looks and minor poo poo like bars etc.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

clutchpuck posted:

What the bike is doesn't matter, it's all about where the statistics fall. Sounds like people in your state-approved demographic, in your geographic area, wreck more ER-6Ns than 650Rs. Or they're stolen more often or something.

Compare the different coverages. Which has the greatest difference in premium from bike to bike? Might shed some light.

Right, I didn't consider these things. If I asked my insurance agent to check further into it for me, I'm sure she'd come through the phone and tear my head off (I've asked her for like 40 quotes in the past month).

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Slavvy posted:

This morning I saw a triumph sprint with the triple under-seat exhausts. I used to be strictly against ST's, my reasoning being you should either get a naked bike or a sportbike or a full tourer instead of sitting on the fence. But I've warmed to the idea. Second-gen sprints are very well priced here and they're good looking enough that I'd consider buying one.

Are these bikes any good at all to ride? How similar/different are they to speed triples of the same era? Cause the price difference here is enormous (both models of naked triumph cost moon money for some reason) yet I can't see any mechanical difference between the bikes besides looks and minor poo poo like bars etc.

My boss has one, loves it. He also has one of the 600cc older Daytonas (?) - the ones before the 675, and a few other Triumphs, so he may be a tad bias.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Slavvy posted:

you should either get a naked bike or a sportbike or a full tourer instead of sitting on the fence.

I like my tall, tall fence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

There's a point where 'sitting on the fence' becomes 'impaled on a 15th-century pike telling everyone how great your rectum feels right now and the bleeding is totally worth it!'.