Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
Every month or so I'll plug my iphone in and tell it to backup to itunes. And every time it asks me whether or not I want to back up my apps - that only those apps that are backed up will be restored. Fine, I say yes. But if I backup my phone on December 15, with my apps, and then back it up again on January 15, with all those same apps plus one new one, shouldn't it be smart enough to know that apps-wise the phone is identical (plus one) to what it was a month ago? Why am I sitting here for 20 minutes, waiting for it to back up a bunch of apps it should already have backed up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

fleshweasel posted:

My Mac lets me type in reminders "Take the garbage out Wednesday at 8PM" and it creates the reminder called "Take the garbage out" with an alert time of next Wednesday at 8PM. Beautiful. My iPhone creates a reminder called "Take the garbage out Wednesday at 8PM." I have to click the little (i) and use the date picker to set an alert. Or use Siri I guess. But it still disappoints me.

There's your miniscule Apple gripe of the day.

Use Siri and say the day/time first.

"On Wednesday at 8pm, remind me to take the garbage out.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

jackpot posted:

Every month or so I'll plug my iphone in and tell it to backup to itunes. And every time it asks me whether or not I want to back up my apps - that only those apps that are backed up will be restored. Fine, I say yes. But if I backup my phone on December 15, with my apps, and then back it up again on January 15, with all those same apps plus one new one, shouldn't it be smart enough to know that apps-wise the phone is identical (plus one) to what it was a month ago? Why am I sitting here for 20 minutes, waiting for it to back up a bunch of apps it should already have backed up?

I -think- it might be related to updates to those apps. Also, do you have iTunes set to automatically download new apps?

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

trilljester posted:

I -think- it might be related to updates to those apps.
Ah, that makes sense, I hadn't thought about updates.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

If you're having battery issues, you might as well try replacing the entire drat thing since it's only $20 from iFixit. Their kit comes with any obscure screwdrivers you may need, it's amazing. It literally took me 10 minutes.

Ex: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYvjuWg06l4

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's a bit more involved for an iPhone 5 or newer since they open from the screen rather than having an easily removable back.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

It's a bit more involved for an iPhone 5 or newer since they open from the screen rather than having an easily removable back.

Good to know, glad I'm still living in the past.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

jackpot posted:

Updates to those apps, as well as any additional information/cache that the app has accumulated.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Use Siri and say the day/time first.

"On Wednesday at 8pm, remind me to take the garbage out.
Don't even have to change the order, "remind me to take the garbage out Wednesday at 8PM" works fine in Siri too. It's just the iOS Reminders app that stinks. Probably Calendar too but I haven't used that in a while.

Now if you want to type it in an app there's Fantastical...which annoyingly has separate iPhone and iPad apps, but it works well if you just want to use the standard calendar and reminders (but don't necessarily like the apps themselves). And it looks like it's on sale right now at least.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

japtor posted:

Don't even have to change the order, "remind me to take the garbage out Wednesday at 8PM" works fine in Siri too. It's just the iOS Reminders app that stinks. Probably Calendar too but I haven't used that in a while.

Now if you want to type it in an app there's Fantastical...which annoyingly has separate iPhone and iPad apps, but it works well if you just want to use the standard calendar and reminders (but don't necessarily like the apps themselves). And it looks like it's on sale right now at least.

I love that app so much I bought the both iOS versions *and* the OS X version. It's just such a superior calendar interface.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
So after restoring and stuff, my battery again died at 10% today. Reckon it's worth taking to a Genius bar? I dunno how they could test it for faults though...

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

ICHIBAHN posted:

So after restoring and stuff, my battery again died at 10% today. Reckon it's worth taking to a Genius bar? I dunno how they could test it for faults though...

Yes, take to the Apple Store. They have an in-house battery testing program that can tell if it's a bad battery or something else (misbehaving app) that's causing it. My guess is you've got a bad battery.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Brilliant, thanks man.

Banana_Boy
Jul 14, 2003
Is anyone else's spotlight just as broken in 8.1.3 as it was before?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Banana_Boy posted:

Is anyone else's spotlight just as broken in 8.1.3 as it was before?
No.

EDIT: My Spotlight was never broken.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah spotlight, that thing I only ever encounter when I swipe the wrong way on the home screen and then instantly try to get rid of.

Works great.:v:

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Only updated to 8.1.3 today but Spotlight (I'm surprised at how many people don't use it, it's fantastic!) has been working a lot better so far, although I'd have long stretches of it working fine anyway so I guess I'll find out eventually if the patch worked or not.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Whirlwind Jones posted:

No.

EDIT: My Spotlight was never broken.

Wouldn't that make the answer yes. :aaaaa:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

Yeah spotlight, that thing I only ever encounter when I swipe the wrong way on the home screen and then instantly try to get rid of.

Haha, well I use it most days and it's pretty awesome. Never broke for me, though. It would really suck to have it not work.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

xzzy posted:

I use Spotlight frequently for apps I keep in folders. IMO it's smoother to open spotlight and start typing the name of the app as opposed to the cumbersome, slow process of waiting for folders to zoom open and then have them stay open after I leave the app etc.

Plus it's useful for other stuff like finding a contact quickly or bringing up a place in Maps (even though Apple Maps sucks, if you just need a number to somewhere local real quick or whatever)

For anyone who doesn't use Spotlight I recommend giving it a try. I dig it.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Spotlight is great on iOS for the same reason it's great on OS X, you don't have to remember which screen the app you want is on, just start typing the name.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well I only have like two screens of apps, so searching is unnecessary. :v:

(there is a third page of poo poo that I almost never use)

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Spotlight is a piece of poo poo. Decides seemingly at random when to allow you the option to "search on web" when you've entered text. Sometimes just sits there and does nothing.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Is there still a way to backup just the message history? I remember reading some old guides where you could copy/paste the message database from a full backup to a "fresh" backup but that was years ago and my googling just leads to those old guides.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Is there still a way to backup just the message history? I remember reading some old guides where you could copy/paste the message database from a full backup to a "fresh" backup but that was years ago and my googling just leads to those old guides.

You could delete all of your apps and music from your phone then make a backup of that.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I've never copy and pasted message history between phones, but iBackUpbot lets you extract the database. I use it to turn it into an excel spreadsheet for archiving but it could work for your purposes.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

xzzy posted:

Umm, what iOS version are you on?

Debonhare
Jan 15, 2004
I like rice.
Is there a recommended replacement screen brand? Wife broke both the screen and home button on her 5 so preferably one that comes with both.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Debonhare posted:

Is there a recommended replacement screen brand? Wife broke both the screen and home button on her 5 so preferably one that comes with both.
Apple

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Debonhare posted:

Just pay the $120 of whatever from Apple.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Alright, guys, I need some suggestions.

I use a Mac, have an iPhone. I do schoolwork on my computer, sometimes in Keynote, Pages, on iCloud etc. However, if I want to access these files on a computer that is not my own, I have to load up something (email, iCloud itself) or put it on a flash drive from my computer and then plug into the other one.

My goal is to make this simpler. I had an idea of somehow finding a file upload service without a randomizer so I could type in shorturl.co/filename.zip and download directly from the computer without much hassle. Of course the file uploader would rely on me having easy and quick access to uploading files etc etc.

Anyway, is there anyway to do this using a phone or Mac or a combination of them both?

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

noirstronaut posted:

I use a Mac, have an iPhone. I do schoolwork on my computer, sometimes in Keynote, Pages, on iCloud etc. However, if I want to access these files on a computer that is not my own, I have to load up something (email, iCloud itself) or put it on a flash drive from my computer and then plug into the other one.

My goal is to make this simpler. I had an idea of somehow finding a file upload service without a randomizer so I could type in shorturl.co/filename.zip and download directly from the computer without much hassle. Of course the file uploader would rely on me having easy and quick access to uploading files etc etc.

Anyway, is there anyway to do this using a phone or Mac or a combination of them both?

You could use Google Docs/Sheets/etc. so you can access your files on any platform without downloading or uploading anything.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

noirstronaut posted:

What's so complicated about logging into iCloud.com, downloading file, working on file, then uploading it. Easy and secure.

banana allergy
Jan 19, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Debonhare posted:

Go to your local mall and pay the dude in the kiosk to do it. Don't be alarmed by the how-to videos, hair dryer, and meatball sub on the desk next to your wife's iPhone.

noirstronaut posted:

What don't you like about the iCloud website? I've never had trouble accessing or editing documents from there.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
The process of using iCloud is easy, I won't deny that, but I don't want to bother logging in to something. For example, there are sites like Droplr, CloudApp where you login and upload a file and you're given a randomized link. Ideally, what I'm looking for is something that will operate like Droplr or CloudApp without needing me to login, and from there I can customize the link name like I can on bit.ly.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

noirstronaut posted:

The process of using iCloud is easy, I won't deny that, but I don't want to bother logging in to something. For example, there are sites like Droplr, CloudApp where you login and upload a file and you're given a randomized link. Ideally, what I'm looking for is something that will operate like Droplr or CloudApp without needing me to login, and from there I can customize the link name like I can on bit.ly.

Just use share links from Dropbox or google drive. Both use sync folders so you just keep your files in those folders on your computer while you work on them, then right click the file, get link, and off you go. This saves you the step of manually uploading them somewhere like a scrub.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Nothing like that really exists because it's a huge security/privacy vulnerability. Uploading to your preferred sharing site, then getting a custom bit.ly link like you mention is probably the closest you'll get.

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
And that's the way it was.

Bouchacha posted:

If you're having battery issues, you might as well try replacing the entire drat thing since it's only $20 from iFixit. Their kit comes with any obscure screwdrivers you may need, it's amazing. It literally took me 10 minutes.

Ex: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYvjuWg06l4

Also, on the tech support side. Iphone 5 and some 5c/5s are showing the dreaded "Consumed" status when doing diagnostics. Consumed means that you are not covered by warranty as you have charged your phone more than apple is willing to gaurantee. Because a battery is labeled as "consumed" doesn't mean it won't still work fine from my experience, but most of the time, it will be worthless. Consumed is not covered by warranty as in the fine print apple states the battery can only be charged 1000 times (I believe) before being consumed. Actually Apple doesn't even include the battery in their limited warranty. That is the warranty carriers provide.

After 500 charges the battery is "designed" to retain "up to" 80% of it's original charge. So when you combine that with the magic 1000 number, you get a snowball effect.

So please please please let your phone drop below 20-25% before recharging it and then unplug. I am sure we all have anecdotal evidence of how the above isn't true but that is from Apple and I have seen this poo poo more often than not. "My phone doesn't last nearly as long as it used to, I charge it up after it dips below 90%, give me a new loving phone!" This isn't the plague by any means. When you think about it 500-1000 charges is a loving lot when you can upgrade your phone every 2 years at the LATEST.

Favorabilis Solitud fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Feb 2, 2015

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
is the Spigen bumper case the preferred bumper for a 6, or is there some other model I should look into?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
So my phone is connected to my Google and work Exchange accounts. Whenever I add a new contact, it seems to send it to Exchange. It's not a work phone, so I want it to synch to Google Contacts. Is there a switch for that somewhere?