Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

google results are out and CPC is down once again :xd:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
scroogled again

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
yo what's the site that shows all the dead google products

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

yo what's the site that shows all the dead google products
i have one list from when reader was on deathbead
Google Reader

What it did: An once-robust RSS reader with a small (in Google’s eyes) but very loyal fanbase.

What happened: Google stripped Reader of its social properties in October 2011, then finally axed the product. Date of death: July 2013.
iGoogle

What it did: A customizable homepage containing web feeds and Google Gadgets, launched in May 2005. Renamed iGoogle in April 2007.

What happened: Citing “erosion of the need for the site,” Google will retire iGoogle on November 1, 2013.
Google Talk

What it did: Desktop instant messaging service that provided text and voice communication.

What happened: Replaced by Google Hangouts on May 15, 2013.
Google Health

What it did: Allows users to store, manage and share all their health and wellness information in one central place.

What happened: Development ceased June 24, 2011; accessible until January 1, 2012; data available for download until January 1, 2013.
Knol

What it did: Google’s attempt at a Wikipedia competitor, Knol enabled subject experts and other users to write authoritative articles related to various topics.

What happened: Content was not accessible after October 1, 2012.
Google Insights for Search

What it did: Similar to Google Trends, Insights for Search provided insight into popular search terms.

What happened: Discontinued since September 27, 2012. The functionality was merged with Google Trends.
Picnik

What it did: An online photo editor. Before being acquired by Google in 2010, Picnik was the default photo editor in Flickr.

What happened: Closed on April 19, 2012.
Google Buzz

What it did: Google Buzz was a social networking, microblogging and messaging tool that was integrated with Gmail, initially (to much chagrin) as an opt-out service.

What happened: Discontinued on December 15, 2011.
Aardvark

What it did: A social search service that facilitated Q&A sessions over live chat, intended to match askers with good answerers.

What happened: Acquired for $50 million in February 2010, Aardvark was discontinued in September 2011.
Sidewiki

What it did: Sidewiki was a browser sidebar tool that allowed users to contribute information to any web page.

What happened: Killed in September 2011 along with a host of other unsuccessful products.
Google Notebook

What it did: A free application that allowed users to save clips of information in an online “notebook.”

What happened: Discontinued in September 2011. Google launched a similar product, Google Keep, in March 2013.
Google Dictionary

What it did: As the name implies, an online dictionary service.

What happened: Shut down without warning in August 2011; part of the functionality was integrated with the define: operator.
Google Labs

What it did: A “playground” where adventurous users could test and provide feedback on prototype projects.

What happened: Discontinued in July 2011.
Google Wave

What it did: Released as an invite-only preview in 2009, Google Wave was a framework that allowed real-time collaborative editing with elements of email, IM, wikis, and social networking.

What happened: Google ceased development of Wave in August 2010 due to lack of interest
SearchWiki

What it did: This feature allowed logged-in users to annotate and re-order search results.

What happened: Search Wiki was discontinued in March 2010.
Dodgeball

What it did: Google bought Dodgeball, a mobile social networking service, in 2005. Its founder went on to leave Google and form Foursquare.

What happened: Google killed Dodgeball in 2009, replacing it with Google Latitude.
Jaiku

What it did: Jaiku is to Twitter as Dodgeball is to Foursquare: This microblogging service was so named because the posts resembled haiku.

What happened: Google stopped development on Jaiku in 2009.
Google Lively

What it did: A 3D animated chat program, using avatars, that was only supported on Windows.

What happened: Google Lively only lived six months, going to the chopping block in December 2008.
Google Page Creator

What it did: A basic website creation and hosting tool that required no HTML knowledge.

What happened: Canned in 2008.
Zeitgeist

What it did: Zeitgeist was a collection of popular search queries, including weekly, monthly and yearly lists, plus topic and country specific lists.

What happened: Closed May 2007 and replaced by Hot Trends, a dynamic feature in Google Trends.
Google Answers

What it did: Google's answer to Yahoo Answers employed paid researchers and asked users to bid for a response to their question.

What happened: Users preferred their answers free, and the product was killed in December 2006.

Other discontinued and abandoned Google products include Google X, Google Catalog, Google Web Accelerator, Google Video Player, Google Audio Ads, Google Sets, SearchMash, and Writely.

With Google Reader going away next week, are you still in a state of shock or have you already moved on? (Body’s not even cold yet!) Which dead Google feature do you miss the most?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

vodkat posted:

Its because google doesn't know how to how to run a business like adults in which they have to interact with other human beings. So instead they just setup automated emails and hope the problem will go away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfJGVJ7MODk

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

why the hell is #t=whatever stripped when you click a youtube link

google!!!!

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

reader :argh:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

:rip:
what do you use now? i ended up in inoreader after a few shittier clones

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Snapchat A Titty posted:

why the hell is #t=whatever stripped when you click a youtube link

google!!!!

lol to preserve the cleanliness of the url

*clicks 14 times to get a link to a google image result that isn't appended with 300 arguments*

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

kalstrams posted:

I use feedly pro, I don't really use the pro features but I'm willing to pay so it doesn't vanish

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
inbox makes sense as an app but the desktop version is dumb.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

born on a buy you posted:

inbox makes sense as an app but the desktop version is dumb.

durrrrrrrrrrrrr

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

cremnob posted:

google results are out and CPC is down once again :xd:

lmaooooooooooooo

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
wasnt there an article a while back from some adsense drone about how they would randomly lock accounts to make quarterly target numbers or something

willing to bet thats what happened here

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Wasn't that the article that was from the "guy who used to work at google" and they would let the advertising run for up to the last day or something, and then cut them off so they couldn't get refunds, but then not pay out

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

Chill Callahan posted:

durrrrrrrrrrrrr

that thread was wrong :(

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

kalstrams posted:

i use theoldreader but i have my poo poo in feedly too

feedlys web ui is so lovely but has much better app support and i use it far more on the computer so i stick with theoldreader just for readability

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

vodkat posted:

I guess the point is they hardly even have that. even important people and corporate users tend to get screwed over. Its only when PR realise something is a problem are they able to bully some nerd in to creating an exception.

corporate users are on doubleclick, where you have contracts and sales reps and all that touchy feely stuff called "business"

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

A Pinball Wizard posted:

wasnt there an article a while back from some adsense drone about how they would randomly lock accounts to make quarterly target numbers or something

willing to bet thats what happened here

Wild EEPROM posted:

Wasn't that the article that was from the "guy who used to work at google" and they would let the advertising run for up to the last day or something, and then cut them off so they couldn't get refunds, but then not pay out
it was an anonymous pastebin document (followup here) and to be fair was never actually substantiated

but i won't be remotely surprised if it eventually turns out to have been true

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Feb 1, 2015

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
google's doing something smart for once?

quote:

It is no secret that Google has been offering huge bounties to researchers and hackers for finding bugs in the Chrome browser and other Google software. Indeed, Google has recently announced that over $4 million has been awarded in the last five years, and they are now opening things up to include the Google Play Store and more, in an effort to bring better security to the ecosystem surrounding Android.

(...)

Due to the success of these sorts of events, it is getting harder and harder for researchers to hit pay dirt for hacking, so Google is taking a new approach.

Google will contact researchers that have discovered bugs in the past, instead of enticing them with awards, they will just be giving them cash. Each research case will be valued at up to $3133.70, paid in advance, with no need for a proven bug. Google’s security team just wants a second opinion on aspects of the Google Play Store and more.

Best of all, all Google built apps for Android and iOS are now included in the scope of the Vulnerability Reward Program.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

google: paying to find security flaws publicising them and leaving 99% of users unpatched

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

theadder posted:

google: paying to find security flaws publicising them and leaving 99% of users unpatched

i'm not really sure what alternative you're suggesting

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
well okay, if they could force people to patch the vulnerabilities, that would be good.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

not sign bad carrier deals lol

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

dont let verizon samsung etc stop updates its not hard

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

theadder posted:

not sign bad carrier deals lol
the carrier deals google signs are for nexus devices only and those are fully patched

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

loving scroogle, ive spent past 20 minutes with bruteforce attempts to login into my account through a desktop mail client, because even with 'app security' disabled it just continues to spout taht suspicious conenction has been blocked, from the same machine/ip i access gmail from for past 3 months lmao

e: 10 minutes later, still cant sign into account, but it has logged me out of my browser a few times, for "security reasons"

e: 15 more mintues later, got into my account

gently caress google

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Feb 1, 2015

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
my iphone still has exchange syncing setup but it seems to be making GBS threads the bed today, i hope google isn't finally cutting me off

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

LastInLine posted:

the carrier deals google signs are for nexus devices only and those are fully patched

google to manufacturers: you can't use google services unless you can guarantee timely patches for (24 - 36 months)
manufacturers to carriers: welp our hands are tied

(or maybe samsung just switches to tizen, idk)

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Pinterest Mom posted:

google to manufacturers: you can't use google services unless you can guarantee timely patches for (24 - 36 months)

they would just ship their own proprietary services (which they do anyway)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

they would say "ok we will guarantee timely patches" and then not bother and google wouldn't do anything about it as long as it kept them setting google search as the default on the handsets they shipped.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Cold on a Cob posted:

my iphone still has exchange syncing setup but it seems to be making GBS threads the bed today, i hope google isn't finally cutting me off

nope it's back, didn't get scroogled today

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

$3133.70? Sorry, I won't work for less than $4206.90

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
$3133.70

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

kalstrams posted:

loving scroogle, ive spent past 20 minutes with bruteforce attempts to login into my account through a desktop mail client, because even with 'app security' disabled it just continues to spout taht suspicious conenction has been blocked, from the same machine/ip i access gmail from for past 3 months lmao

e: 10 minutes later, still cant sign into account, but it has logged me out of my browser a few times, for "security reasons"

e: 15 more mintues later, got into my account

gently caress google

rip your account

srsly you're not getting it back

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Microsofts open source IE page comparability scanner thing uses port 1337 by default and it makes me sick

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Pinterest Mom posted:

samsung would immediately jump ship and carriers would still refuse to roll out the update over their network even if were available concurrently with nexus updates

for google there is only downside to trying to force security fixes and if customers cared about it they wouldnt buy androids

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
i'm genuinely curious just how terrible tizen is

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

is it pronounced like "citizen" or like "appetizing"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?