Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Giblet Plus! posted:

Nah it's to save weight by mounting a bigger heavier brake disc that's worse at dissipating heat.

FTFY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Dudes,

We were at lunch yesterday and one of the servers came rushing up to us to ask a question about the motorcycle his roommate recently bought. I don't know what it is specifically, but the kid said it's a '96 Honda (650? 600?). He said the PO they bought it from rode it to them and it was working fine, but it will not start for them now.

He says the battery is good (I have no idea if he multimetered it or just is assuming it's OK because the accessory lights come on), but it just won't crank. He says the PO told them he put a new fuel pump on it because the old one went bad, and all I know is that the pump has some weird settings.

I know this is a longshot, but do any of you guys have a suggestion for something they can try? I told him he might want to take a close look at the fuel pump since it's the last thing installed by the PO. They could probably call the guy and ask, too. The kid thought they were maybe flooding the engine, but I think it'd do something, and it sounded like nothing happened when he tried to start it. He says he tried to push start it and that didn't work, either.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Ola posted:

Braking a single side of a double disc won't turn the forks, will it? Otherwise all single disc bikes would pull to one side.

Z3n posted:

Correct. What's the last thing that was worked on on the bike? I'd start there.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Yeah, I literally just had a stuck right brake and all that happened was the bike was slower (and vibrated a bit) - he asked me about it because of this.

He doesn't work on the bike himself at all apart from bolting ridiculous lights to it, I'm going to suggest he check his tyre pressures and then bring it round to me to see if I can feel it.

I'm so sorry I'm bad at this. :(

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Lynza posted:

Dudes,

We were at lunch yesterday and one of the servers came rushing up to us to ask a question about the motorcycle his roommate recently bought. I don't know what it is specifically, but the kid said it's a '96 Honda (650? 600?). He said the PO they bought it from rode it to them and it was working fine, but it will not start for them now.

He says the battery is good (I have no idea if he multimetered it or just is assuming it's OK because the accessory lights come on), but it just won't crank. He says the PO told them he put a new fuel pump on it because the old one went bad, and all I know is that the pump has some weird settings.

I know this is a longshot, but do any of you guys have a suggestion for something they can try? I told him he might want to take a close look at the fuel pump since it's the last thing installed by the PO. They could probably call the guy and ask, too. The kid thought they were maybe flooding the engine, but I think it'd do something, and it sounded like nothing happened when he tried to start it. He says he tried to push start it and that didn't work, either.

Kickstand or center stand down? Not in neutral?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Yeah I'd wanna know more about the battery if it won't crank. It's gotta be something simple like that or a fuse or a safety switch unless the seller was hiding something. Or will it crank but not fire?

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Yeah I'd wanna know more about the battery if it won't crank. It's gotta be something simple like that or a fuse or a safety switch unless the seller was hiding something. Or will it crank but not fire?

I'm 100% with Rev on this one. When my VFR had a cell go bad in the battery, the lights and gauges worked well, but as soon as you thumbed the starter the entire machine died. I'd vote that after checking the obvious above (kickstand is up, bike has a neutral start switch or whatever) to take the battery into an AutoZone/Advance Auto and have them check it for free. My money's on a dead cell.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Which insurance company is it that covers gear too?

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011

M42 posted:

Progressive and All-State do as far as I know

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

KARMA! posted:

He reckons putting 5 psi in the front tyre has fixed it. Still calling psychosomatic but whatever.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

M42 posted:

I think most do. I have it from nationwide and I've heard State Farm does too. They might not advertise it too much but if you have comprehensive read through the policy and you might find it. I get roadside repair/pickup too even though it wasn't advertised before I got my paperwork.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

HotCanadianChick posted:

Kickstand or center stand down? Not in neutral?

Does it have a clutch switch? The clutch safety on my goose is broken and I just shorted it.

So does it just not do anyhting? Or does it click like there's not enough juice?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Slavvy posted:

I don't get why every oil cooled bike I've seen had no oil pressure light.

Probably because it would stress out owners. My friend's Road King has an aftermarket oil pressure/temp gauge that he diligently ignores when it gets super hot and just feels how the engine is running.

All I want to know with the Buell's oil is whether it's low.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

M42 posted:

State Farm does gear coverage, although I think it's on an additional waiver.

KARMA! posted:

Gotta learn somehow, guessing is as good a start as any! :)

Lynza posted:

Dudes,

If it doesn't crank, I'd be looking at the clutch, neutral, and sidestand switches.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

clutchpuck posted:

All I want to know with the Buell's oil is whether it's low.

Is it leaking? (Y/N)

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

My GS has an oil pressure light but if it's anything like a car it's a 'you just wrecked your motor' indicator more than anything. My FZR actually has an oil light that comes on if it's about half a liter low which is pretty handy.

I just check the oil once a week if in commuter mode or every night when I stop if I'm on a road trip. I've never been close to low enough to cause damage this way though most of my bikes haven't been too fond of eating oil.

VVV Knowing Suzuki it's probably the same part number switch in both our bikes and in every other Suzuki for the last 30 years. When I needed new sealing washers for the cam cover I couldn't find any for my bike so just ebay searched the part number and found that they are the same as the current gen GSXR1k.

Bugdrvr fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jan 27, 2015

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Bugdrvr posted:

My GS has an oil pressure light but if it's anything like a car it's a 'you just wrecked your motor' indicator more than anything.

The oil pressure light on my GS500 will go on about 5-10 seconds after i hit the killswitch.

so I agree here.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
I have an engine question. The XB9 is a destroked XB12. Now of course that means the crank throw is shorter, so to keep compression the same the rotating assembly has to be taller. They did that by both using a longer rod and putting a dome on the piston; why not just go with a longer rod and use the same piston in both bikes?

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Want the short or the really long answer?

Basically you want to keep the rod to stroke ratio between certain numbers to reduce friction (for long rods) and encourage optimal combustion (short rods). Also longer rods have more interference with the cylinder bottom stuff (water jacket area, pan, pan rails etc). Some combos of stroke length and rod choice are not practical.

Nidhg00670000 fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jan 27, 2015

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

They may also not have been able to attain the target CC by altering the rod alone for geometry reasons.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

nitrogen posted:

The oil pressure light on my GS500 will go on about 5-10 seconds after i hit the killswitch.

so I agree here.

I lost a clip for the PCV hose on my b12 and it started puking oil onto the top of the engine. The oil light came on under heavy braking. I stopped, checked the oil, and it was low. I then rode it five miles (without heavy braking or anything) and put 3l in to bring it up to the mark. That calculates out to roughly 200ml of circulating oil in the engine. I'm likewise convinced that the oil pressure switch on suzukis is "oil is actively flowing/draining in the general vicinity of the oil pump."

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Hyoshit has started doing something strange. Attempting to start it with the headlight on just leads to nothing happening, no click or anything, as if the killswitch is off. Turning off the headlight lets it start perfectly. Possibly related: if you leave it idling for around 30 seconds, it eventually starts to stumble and idle poorly and eventually stalls. These both started happening around the same time. Does this sound like a bad battery, or something more sinister? When it does turn over, the cranking itself is fast and healthy and the engine has no difficulty firing up.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Slavvy posted:

Does this sound like a bad battery

Yes, a lot. Measure voltage with engine off, see how much it drops when you crank and when the engine runs.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Bike doing extremely weird irregular poo poo, including bizarre electrical systems behaviour: 99% likely to be the battery going

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Dammit. I hate having to put actual effort into that bike :(

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Comrade, did you remove the Hyosung satellite uplink FM antenna? These superior machines tend to receive a kill signal, which destroys the bike in order to force you to buy another one die unexpectedly.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Is that what the second fuel tap is for?

Seriously, it has the usual 3 position vacuum petcock (in a place you can't reach without removing the tank - no, really) and then upstream from that it has another vacuum operated tap with no manual position settings at all :tinfoil:

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

goddamnedtwisto posted:

He reckons putting 5 psi in the front tyre has fixed it. Still calling psychosomatic but whatever.

If the tyre was really soft and he was on a road with significant camber it would pull ever so slightly to the right as the contact patch increased massively on the camber side. Striples have one of the narrowest handlebars on any bike so it would be more noticeable than other bikes.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

It might not be completely psychosomatic. I noticed that my GS the front wheel will wander all over the road if it gets even 2-3 pounds low. We tend to have uneven, rain grooved concrete on the freeways here which makes all bikes a bit more wandery than black top but this is the only bike I've had that was so bad off. Every other has felt "kinda off but not too terrible" even when the front tire got down to like 15psi.
Depending on how your roads are maybe hitting the brakes does make it veer right.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

I swear to god, my GS500 hates me.

Tried to start it for a lunchtime ride and the starter grinded a bit and just got stuck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aT--RTTALCY

battery should be fine, it sits on a tricklecharger, but might try jumpstarting it just to see after work is done.

Any ideas wtf could be up with this $#%#@$%$ thing?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
push start it!

Seriously though, seems like your starter solenoid poo poo itself based on your instrument lamps not dimming out.

Use the screwdriver trick?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I'd whack it with a screwdriver or wrench and see if it starts working.

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004
My little sister is awesome and bought me this account.
If the screwdriver trick doesn't work, take the starter off and pop it open to check for destroyed brushes or excessive buildup of graphite dust, and cupping on the copper bars the brushes contact.

My 85 had a seriously hosed starter armature (cupping galore, it looked like flower petals) and when it ate the brushes something similar happened.

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011
Do people have a recommended cable lube? Clutch cable is in need of some love and I haven't done this before. Would the local autoparts store have something I can use?
Local yamaha had some in stock, unfortunately my lube job has now turned into a replacement job and no one within 500 miles has a new clutch cable in stock.

Gillingham fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Feb 1, 2015

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me

nitrogen posted:

I swear to god, my GS500 hates me.

Tried to start it for a lunchtime ride and the starter grinded a bit and just got stuck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aT--RTTALCY

battery should be fine, it sits on a tricklecharger, but might try jumpstarting it just to see after work is done.

Any ideas wtf could be up with this $#%#@$%$ thing?

Its pretty rare for the starters to go out on these. You might have bought a bad seed. There is another 93 for sale in Austin for 1100 bucks. :smug:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Tyre time for the hyoshit. I've bought a tyre (like I'm ever doing both at once on this bike) marked as being tubeless radial. The tyre on the bike definitely isn't tubeless. I'm happy to just mount it on the rim with the tube but obviously if I can get away with not having one, I'd prefer that. How can you tell if the wheels can accept radial tyres without a tube?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Spokes? You need a tube type. No spokes? Tubeless. You can use a tubeless tire on a spoked rim but still need to use a tube. What bike do you have again?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

This is girly's hyosung 250, has pretty ordinary looking alloy wheels on it but the tyres present are bias ply with tubes. So I'm ok to just stick it on tubeless? Will it matter that I have a tubeless on the back and a tube on the front?

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Feb 3, 2015

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
I had no idea the hyosungs had tubed tires. For some reason that seems incredibly cheap to me. Are they being run because there's a hole or something in the tire itself or they legit came like that OEM? I didn't know anything came with tubes anymore besides supermoto-type bikes and some Harleys (I think, I dunno if this still happens).

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Lots of cruisers come tubed. BMW and KTM have tubeless spoke systems. I think Aprilia does too. If it's a standard cast wheel then you should be good to go tubeless. If you're doing both tires get radials front and rear.
I think Michelin has the pilot streets that might fit it. It's basically a PR2 for smaller bikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Slavvy posted:

How can you tell if the wheels can accept radial tyres without a tube?

If it has a safety bump to hold the bead in place when the tire is deflated, you can use tubeless. Spoked or not spoked doesn't matter, as there's plenty of modern bikes with spoked wheels that use tubeless tires.

Comstar wheels are a good example, the early ones require tubes and don't have the safety bead; later ones (post 1980 or 81 or so) have the bump added and were made for tubeless. They're both standard cast spokeless alloys.

Militant Lesbian fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Feb 3, 2015