Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Beast of Bourbon posted:

didn't he get those stolen aka give them to a 'large black drug dealer who asked for them'?

quote:

Today I was in a hurry, walking down to my local subway station, the 16th and Mission BART, and, as usual when I'm too late to take Valencia, this took me past the cluster of drug-dealers who hang out on my corner, in the north Mission. I was wearing the groovy MiG goggles I'd bought last month in London at the Camden Market and have been using as shades, and this big drug dealer cornered me and started harassing me to try them on. Then he started rambling about what he does for a living, just talking a load of really boring rounder horseshit that probably sounds good and Elmore Leonardy when you say it to yourself in your head but just sounds banal and incoherent when you're standing on a corner.
He's a big guy and so I "let" him try on my shades. Then it transpires that he wants me to buy drugs from him in exchange for my goggles. I explain that I'm not in the market for drugs, but he won't give back my shades and he's talking more bullshit. Finally I say, "So, you're robbing me, right?" and more bullshit ensues. I repeat the question a couple times, then walk off.

I'm really pissed. Really, really pissed. I really liked those goggles and clearly this guy decided he wanted to just gently caress with me for the hell of it. Short of flying to London, I can't replace them, ever. (Update: an alert reader pointed out a mail-order site, so I've replaced them)

I could go to the cops, but here's the thing: if I do, he'll know who did it and he might shoot me.

If I don't go to the cops, though, I am going to walk past this guy twice a day for the rest of my tenure in this apartment and he's going to know that I'm a soft touch and I'm bound to be in for more harassment.

black man on the sidewalk clearly a drug dealer, will definitely shoot me if i snitch on him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

don't copy that floppy

http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/29/7948241/forever-21-pirating-photoshop-adobe-corel-autodesk

quote:

Forever 21 has been pirating Photoshop, according to a new lawsuit from Adobe, and it's facing serious fines as a result. The suit was filed yesterday in California District Court, alleging that Forever 21 pirated 63 different instances of Adobe software including copies of Photoshop, Acrobat, and Illustrator. Autodesk and Corel also joined Adobe in the suit, based on pirated copies of Autodesk, WinZip and PaintShopPro, among others. According to the complaint, Forever 21 "continued their infringing activities even after being contacted by Adobe regarding the infringement."

It's not yet clear how Adobe traced back the violations, but it has thoroughly documented them, providing registration numbers and dates for each instance. The result, according to Adobe, is "willful, intentional, and malicious copyright infringement," and they're asking the court to issue an injunction and compensate the companies for lost revenue, court costs, and additional damages. Adobe moved towards cloud-based versions of Photoshop and other software in 2013, and many responded to the shift by seeking out pirated versions of the software. In response, Adobe has actively encouraged employees to turn in employers using unauthorized versions of the software.

HOW DO YOU GET CAUGHT PIRATING PHOTOSTOP IN TYOOL 2015

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Luigi Thirty posted:

don't copy that floppy

http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/29/7948241/forever-21-pirating-photoshop-adobe-corel-autodesk

ianap but there are probably several hidden pieces of code that call home & the pirates didnt get them all, and f21 didnt think to block them

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Luigi Thirty posted:

don't copy that floppy

because there's a bounty system

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

couldn't happen to a more deserving company.

they should have stuck to stealing their designs instead.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Luigi Thirty posted:

don't copy that floppy

news: a company with revenues of $1.26 billion that thinks it's a good idea to save five hundred bucks by stealing a copy of photoshop is probably staffed by morons

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

snitches get stitches

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Sagebrush posted:

news: a company with revenues of $1.26 billion that thinks it's a good idea to save five hundred bucks by stealing a copy of photoshop is probably staffed by morons

reduce costs, increase profit

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Snapchat A Titty posted:

snitches get stitches

lol if you defend your employer for anything

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i dont, i have my union on speed dial

i just dont care about adobe

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

Sagebrush posted:

black man on the sidewalk clearly a drug dealer, will definitely shoot me if i snitch on him

Lol that guy could barely be more racist if he tried.

I believe in equality for all people. Im not a racist. Apart from when they are slightly larger than me and have adequate social skills. America is the land of the free MLK ended discrimination, I voted for Obama, how can I be a racist?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Luigi Thirty posted:

don't copy that floppy

owned

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

quote:

There are many things to love about SF and about the Mission. First and foremost, there's the EFF,

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Luigi Thirty posted:

don't copy that floppy

when the people using your :filez: need to call in for support, not realizing their it people are a bunch of idiot teenagers who deployed ~wEEdxGoku420~PhotochopCS@@.torrent to production

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
excuse me but i would appreciate it if you didn't publicly reveal my warez scene username thx

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Luigi Thirty posted:

don't copy that floppy

how is it even possible to be pirating WinZip now

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

qntm posted:

how is it even possible to be pirating WinZip now

I heard my boss griping about a contractor who bought WinZip and expensed it to the company the other year like "welp he billed us to download WinZip and use it - gently caress that guy"

this is in a modern windows environment where you can just double-click on a zip file and it'll open no problem

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
shell integration for zip files is awful though

or at least it was in the last version of windows that was ever created, windows 7.

but for the record use 7zip.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Mr Dog posted:

shell integration for zip files is awful though

or at least it was in the last version of windows that was ever created, windows 7.

but for the record use 7zip.

this is all correct

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

windows' attempt to treat zip files as just another folder, obfuscated from the user, has been mind-bogglingly anti-productive

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Luigi Thirty posted:

don't copy that floppy

all it takes is one disgruntled (ex-)employee

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

duTrieux. posted:

windows' attempt to treat zip files as just another folder, obfuscated from the user, has been mind-bogglingly anti-productive

and breaks things in spectacular ways if you have a) UAC enabled, and b) folder redirection

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

in 2009 7-zips ui was so bad I went and bought winrar and have not looked back

is it less totaly poo poo now?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Munkeymon posted:

in 2009 7-zips ui was so bad I went and bought winrar and have not looked back

is it less totaly poo poo now?

what malignant brain tumor did you have that caused you to think winrar had a good ui.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Nintendo Kid posted:

what malignant brain tumor did you have that caused you to think winrar had a good ui.

presumably the same kind that made 7-zip too hard to use

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
uber getting sued for their terrible safety practices

quote:

13. Furthermore, soon after the attack, Uber's Co-Founder and Chief Executive Officer Travis Kalanick issued another statement promising that Uber "will do everything, I repeat, everything to help bring this perpetrator [of the rape] to justice and to support the victim and her family in her recovery."

14. Unfortunately, Uber has gone back on its word that it would do "everything" to support Plaintiff in her courageous recovery. Despite knowing Ms. Doe's identity and having the means to reach her, Uber has shunned and avoided all contact with Ms. Doe and her family. Furthermore, as a demonstration of the Company's relentless determination to profit at the expense of anything or anyone standing in its way, Uber ignored Plaintiff's request to be consulted with in regard to any safety reforms Uber undertakes in India, and instead, boasted about reopening its business operations in India, despite a governmental ban.

15. To pour salt on Plaintiff's fresh wounds, Uber even taunted Plaintiff by directly sending her an email announcing this news, and outrageously offering her a discount to begin riding again with Uber.

quote:

43. As soon as Plaintiff exited the car, and before she had even reached her front door, she called the police to report the rape. At this time, she also sent an email to an Uber email account (support@uber.com) reporting that she had just been raped. To this day, Uber has not responded to this distressing email from Plaintiff.

44. Within ten minutes, several police officers arrived. She told the officers what happened, and showed them the pictures of the license plate she had taken. The officers took her to the hospital, where she underwent tests and examinations for the next three to four hours.

45. Madhur Verma, the Deputy Chief of Police of New Delhi, interviewed Plaintiff at the hospital. Verma had Yadav's name and license plate number, and tried to contact Uber to get an address for Yadav. However, despite numerous attempts, Verma was unable to locate a contact number, email address or physical address for Uber's office.

46. Frustrated by the inabiliity to ascertain even basic information about Uber's Indian "corporate headquarters," Verma decided to download the Uber app onto his own phone, open an Uber account, and order an Uber ride. When an Uber driver arrived, Verma ordered that he be taken to Uber's Delhi headquarters.

47. At around 7:00 am that December 6, 2014 morning, Verma was finally brought to a hotel named the Signature Hotel, where he was told that two or three rooms on the first floor supposedly served as the "headquarters" for Uber's entire Delhi operations. However, troublingly, there was not a single Uber employee at the office, let alone anyone who could help Verma track Yadav down.

48. After multiple calls to Uber offices, at about 8:30 am, an Uber employee finally arrived. However, the employee remarkably told police that he also could not provide the officers with Yadav's address because there were no employee records kept there. Further, the employee told Verma that this local Uber office also did not have GPS logs of its drivers, and thus could not help the officer track Yadav's whereabouts after the attack.

49. Shockingly, the officers were told that any information regarding Yadav, including the GPS log details for his activity on December 5, 2014, would have to be retrieved from Uber's operations in the United States, where this information was supposedly stored on a main computer server. Thus, in the immediate critical hours after the Plaintiff's sexual assault, Uber was of literally no help in locating its own driver, Yadav.

50. It was immediately apparent to the police that all Uber record-keeping was located in the United States and the Delhi "office" was of no assistance.

51. At last, at around 11:00 am that morning, Uber provided information to the police about Yadav. However, it was soon learned that Uber did not have Yadav's true permanent address, nor had Uber even verified his local address or mobile phone number. In fact, Yadav was using a SIM card that had been obtained using a false name and address.

52. The police further learned that Yadav's car was not properly equipped with a GPS system, and that following the attack, Yadav had apparently turned off his cell phone, rendering the GPS system on the phone worthless in trying to locate him.

53. In the meantime, police checked Yadav's background and criminal history, and learned that Yadav had been accused of no less than two previous rapes, along with a host of other sexual assaults and crimes.

54. Police also quickly determined that Yadav had presented a forged "Character Certificate" to Uber that was supposedly from the Delhi police. A legitimate "Character Certificate" application would have unquestionably revealed Yadav's extensive and disturbing criminal history.

55. It was also revealed that Yadav never obtained a security badge mandated by the Delhi government for all taxi drivers, which is given only after a police background check. Uber had no answers for why such an obviously dangerous person with a propensity for sexual assaults was employed as a driver.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Nintendo Kid posted:

didn't say it was good but it wasn't nearly as broken and lovely as the windows 7z

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

infernal machines posted:

presumably the same kind that made 7-zip too hard to use

idk, i right click -> extract to *archive name*, works 4 me

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Munkeymon posted:

didn't say it was good but it wasn't nearly as broken and lovely as the windows 7z

windows 7zip has never been broken

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

duTrieux. posted:

i had a hell of a time trying to figure this out on a co-worker's computer with yosemite that (1) didn't have the normal folder structure turned on, just that "all my files" garbage and (2) kept auto-extracting zipped files despite never actually telling it to

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

haha the latest stable version of 7z is from 2010 so Imma assume it's still lovely to use and just not bother

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Munkeymon posted:

haha the latest stable version of 7z is from 2010 so Imma assume it's still lovely to use and just not bother

seriously what is your mental defect.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

not all of us develop stockholm syndrome for bad open sores uis

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

7zip is great and doesn't require a "ui" at all, it's a single context menu

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Munkeymon posted:

not all of us develop stockholm syndrome for bad open sores uis

what are you trying to do that 7zip has a "bad" ui for. seriously i don't get it, the program is extremely simple.

do you need a bouncing clown to point to the option you need and wink

do you need clippy

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

don't actually remember what all I hated about it because it was more than five years ago but apparently it hasn't changed since then so I don't give a poo poo

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Nintendo Kid posted:

what are you trying to do that 7zip has a "bad" ui for. seriously i don't get it, the program is extremely simple.

do you need clippy

he needs a software wizard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRJ0EB_r9DY

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Nintendo Kid posted:

i could use this for blank faced watches

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
there is a 7zip ui beyond right click 7zip>actions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

if you go >add to archive... then there's a window that pops up but it's hardly what i'd call "bad" or "confusing", it's just a bunch of dropdown options

• Locked thread