Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Internet Explorer posted:

Either that or your company is still using Exchange 2003 which has a poo poo implementation of ActiveSync.

When I managed an Exchange 2003 server, I had a reoccuring problem with all my mobile users, both Android and iOS (I had an iPhone3GS at the time, and the other guy had a Galaxy S2), someone emailed us a HUGE zip file, like 100MB. We stupidly didn't have any limitations on attachment sizes. The email arrived to a support distribution list, and make all our phones turn into toasters while it tried to sync the file up. A few hours later it also crashed our exchange server. I forget how I fixed it, but I seem to remember mounting the exchange store offline and deleting the message manually from everyones inbox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

Bob A Feet posted:

So neat observation on a Droid Turbo.

My line of work occasionally has me wear night vision goggles. Yesterday while wearing some I had set my phone on my desk and noticed it was blooming them out. Apparently, at the four corners of the screen and the center top near the camera are flashing LEDs of some sort, emitting in the IR spectrum. I flipped up the nvd's and caught nothing in visible light. When the active notification screen comes on, only the center top one pulses. Otherwise they all pulse at random intervals.

I know this thing has sensors galore for active notification and all the neat moto features but I didn't know the screen had THAT many on it.

Proximity sensor uses IR, god knows about the rest.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Annath posted:

I've heard that TouchWiz on the Note 4 is vastly improved over its predecessor.

I'm debating between the Note 4 and Nexus 6 (to replace my Nexus 5), and I'm leaning towards the Note for the better screen/camera, S-Pen and expandable storage.

Given those preferences is there anything I should know about the Nexus before I take the plunge on the Note?

Quoting myself for a new page. I swear it was coincidence my post was made immediately following the big Samsung post.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Stupid question: My Moto X has an update for Lollipop ready, should I install it or not?

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Stupid question: My Moto X has an update for Lollipop ready, should I install it or not?

yeah, from what i've seen the Moto Lollipop updates are much more stable than the Nexus/Google updates

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

this_is_hard posted:

yeah, from what i've seen the Moto Lollipop updates are much more stable than the Nexus/Google updates

Thank you.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Bob A Feet posted:

My line of work occasionally has me wear night vision goggles. Yesterday while wearing some I had set my phone on my desk and noticed it was blooming them out. Apparently, at the four corners of the screen and the center top near the camera are flashing LEDs of some sort, emitting in the IR spectrum. I flipped up the nvd's and caught nothing in visible light. When the active notification screen comes on, only the center top one pulses. Otherwise they all pulse at random intervals.

I know this thing has sensors galore for active notification and all the neat moto features but I didn't know the screen had THAT many on it.

Yup. If you look at a picture of a white 2nd gen Moto X you can better see all the sensors on the front that drive the active notification feature.

BossTweed
Apr 9, 2001

Doctor Rope

Internet Explorer posted:

Either that or your company is still using Exchange 2003 which has a poo poo implementation of ActiveSync.

I am pretty sure we aren't, everything else Microsoft related we use is pretty new, Lync, office 365, etc. but I'll keep that in mind.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Annath posted:

Quoting myself for a new page. I swear it was coincidence my post was made immediately following the big Samsung post.

I have a Nexus 6, and my wife has the Note 4. They're about the same size, and I'd say the screen is about the same quality, but I'm not using a microscope or anything really spergy. Both work really well, and the Note has the extra features, but you're stuck with Samsung. The Nexus is going to have more rapidly updated software, but won't have a few of those features, and the battery on the Nexus is a bit smaller.

That said, I think my wife has used the pen twice in the last month, and she doesn't really notice storage. I bought a 64gb Nexus so I didn't have to really worry about space either, but in general 32gb is also probably fine. I also like having a rooted phone, both for the tweaks it offers and because it stops people at work from asking if I want my work email on my personal phone. I have no idea if you can root a Note 4, if that's something that's important to you.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Three times in the past week my Nexus 4 has failed to wake when I've hit the power button. Pretty sure all these times it had been charging. To get it to respond I've had to hold down power to turn it off, then back on again. This morning it meant an alarm didn't go off, luckily we were already awake.

It's on 5.0.1.

Is this a known issue to anyone? Any way of determining the cause?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Red Warrior posted:

Three times in the past week my Nexus 4 has failed to wake when I've hit the power button. Pretty sure all these times it had been charging. To get it to respond I've had to hold down power to turn it off, then back on again. This morning it meant an alarm didn't go off, luckily we were already awake.

It's on 5.0.1.

Is this a known issue to anyone? Any way of determining the cause?

"Nexus 4 sleep of death."

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Is that a feature for Nexus phones? My GNex always did that.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

Is that a feature for Nexus phones? My GNex always did that.
I never saw it on the Galaxy Nexus but then I never saw it on the Nexus 4 either. I've only heard about it on the N4.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Maneki Neko posted:

Good lord Siri is terrible. Google Now and Cortana are so much better it's ridiculous.

How so? Can you go into detail why?

I have nearly zero experience with Siri, but the only difference I remember is that its basically the same except you have to hold a button down (where on the X I can just talk to my phone even if it's locked).

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Siri just doesn't have the data behind it to be a whole lot more helpful beyond "set a timer for 35 minutes."

Google's voice search is powerful because it's backed by your Gmail and all of Google's index, so it's good for useful voice queries like "what time is my next flight" or "what are the school colors of Stanford University." I've never used Cortana but I assume it's similar because it's using Bing data to feed it.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

kitten smoothie posted:

Siri just doesn't have the data behind it to be a whole lot more helpful beyond "set a timer for 35 minutes."
This is a hyperbolic oversimplification and you're really dismissing how much Wolfram's Knowledge Engine helps. For example

kitten smoothie posted:

"what are the school colors of Stanford University."
Wolfram allows Siri to answer this kind of stuff.

Google Now is still probably the best of the digital personal assistants but Siri is a lot more than iOS' old Voice Command.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

RVProfootballer posted:

"Nexus 4 sleep of death."

Bugger. Various suggestions for using Daydream or an app called SafeCharge to try and prevent it, I'll give those a shot.

Apart from this my Nexus 4 has still been working great, was going to try and get to the end of this year and see what was available. Well maybe I'll try and get one of those Moto X Valentines Day discount coupons.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Red Warrior posted:

Bugger. Various suggestions for using Daydream or an app called SafeCharge to try and prevent it, I'll give those a shot.

Apart from this my Nexus 4 has still been working great, was going to try and get to the end of this year and see what was available. Well maybe I'll try and get one of those Moto X Valentines Day discount coupons.

Fwiw, my wife's Nexus 5 had it too and seemed to be fixed by shutting off Ok Google voice detection and maybe another similar setting, I don't remember exactly.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
Speaking of Google Now it will now be able to pull in cards from 3rd party apps:

http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/30/7953025/google-now-third-party-apps

That's really, really cool. I think.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Require More Fire posted:

Speaking of Google Now it will now be able to pull in cards from 3rd party apps:

http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/30/7953025/google-now-third-party-apps

That's really, really cool. I think.

Kinda wish I could edit in the sources it pulls from. Like I want Now to pull Android news but not from Christian News or IBTimes

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Skeezy posted:

Kinda wish I could edit in the sources it pulls from. Like I want Now to pull Android news but not from Christian News or IBTimes

No poo poo, its like hey can we get the daily mail and weekly world news too?

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Bob A Feet posted:

They're probably the motion and proximity sensors since the drat screen on those turn on when you wave your hand near it.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

Skeezy posted:

Same for Google News and Weather, you can add/remove topics, but you can never remove Top Stories. Which is all it displays when having that set as the Daydream. I want my happy fun frivolous poo poo on my screen when I glance over when waking up, not depressing world news.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Red Warrior posted:

On mine I think it happens because the power button itself is worn out - most of the time it is okay, but at certain temperatures it seems to take a real mashing to wake the phone (sometimes it is a fine line between mashing waking the phone and turning it off completely).

One thing you can try is just pulling out the charge cable which should wake the phone immediately.

I guess 2 years is pushing it for a phone these days - nothing seems physically capable of lasting much longer than that.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/01/30/not-a-joke-android-5-0-2-factory-image-posted-for-nexus-7-2013-lte/

5.0.2 images just got posted for both the 2012 and 2013 Nexus 7 LTE

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Is there a phrase where I can tell Google Now to, uh... nevermind?

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."
A friend of mine currently has a weird problem with his HTC M8. Some of his app icons look like this:

Trying to open the greyed out one comes up with 'app not installed', trying to open the other one says 'unfortunately, [app] has stopped working'. Reinstalling the apps solves the problem, but then it just happens to another app straight after. He says he has plenty of storage on the SD card, not so much on the internal. It's hard to Google because it appears to happen to apps at random. He's still using KitKat. Anyone got any ideas?

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

DemonMage posted:

Same for Google News and Weather, you can add/remove topics, but you can never remove Top Stories. Which is all it displays when having that set as the Daydream. I want my happy fun frivolous poo poo on my screen when I glance over when waking up, not depressing world news.

On my phone the news feed is extremely customisable. There isn't the range I'd like, but blink feed will let me choose from the telegraph, guardian, al Jazeera and loads of others. I'd love it if I had a hundred percent customisable feeds

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

Skeezy posted:

Jeebus I wish these would gently caress off.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

HTC isn't going to hit their own 90 day benchmark for Lollipop. They blame Google's buggy first rollout.

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/01/30/htc-wont-hit-90-day-lollipop-promise-on-all-one-variants/

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

bull3964 posted:

HTC isn't going to hit their own 90 day benchmark for Lollipop. They blame Google's buggy first rollout.

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/01/30/htc-wont-hit-90-day-lollipop-promise-on-all-one-variants/

My inclination is to not believe anything any of these OEM's say, but I got to say this time I believe them.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Skeezy posted:

Yeah, what the gently caress is up with that. Stop sending me stories from them. God drat, Google.

edit: why the hell do I keep double posting

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Thermopyle posted:

Yeah, what the gently caress is up with that. Stop sending me stories from them. God drat, Google.

edit: why the hell do I keep double posting

It because your an idiot

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

stickyfngrdboy posted:

It because your an idiot

Well, yeah.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

victorious posted:

A friend of mine currently has a weird problem with his HTC M8. Some of his app icons look like this:

Trying to open the greyed out one comes up with 'app not installed', trying to open the other one says 'unfortunately, [app] has stopped working'. Reinstalling the apps solves the problem, but then it just happens to another app straight after. He says he has plenty of storage on the SD card, not so much on the internal. It's hard to Google because it appears to happen to apps at random. He's still using KitKat. Anyone got any ideas?

Looks like he might've tried to do something like move apps to the SD card?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Is the Moto X (2014) a big enough upgrade from the Moto X (2013) to bother with the hassle of trying to sell the '13 and pay an additional $200+ on top of that, or is it mostly a screen size increase and slightly better internals?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Is the Moto X (2014) a big enough upgrade from the Moto X (2013) to bother with the hassle of trying to sell the '13 and pay an additional $200+ on top of that, or is it mostly a screen size increase and slightly better internals?

I'll put it like this: I had the 2014 for a week or so and returned it because it was too large. I went back to my 2013. While there was speed/smoothness improvements, it wasn't mind blowing or anything.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I much prefer the 5.2" size of my Turbo to the 4.7" size of my 13 Moto X. It's a good middle ground. Some days I miss the huge screen goodness of a Note, but, for the most part, I find 5.2" to be pretty perfect.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

RVProfootballer posted:

Looks like he might've tried to do something like move apps to the SD card?

Yeah he says he has done that, but apparently its happening with apps both on and off the SD card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Thermopyle posted:

I'll put it like this: I had the 2014 for a week or so and returned it because it was too large. I went back to my 2013. While there was speed/smoothness improvements, it wasn't mind blowing or anything.

Well you're one of the few goons who I trust so I'll just stick with the '13 and hope the '15 has wireless charging and isn't six inches.