Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I'd pay extra to live in a neighborhood with no children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

kid sinister posted:

Then what the hell do families with multiple driving teenagers in your neighborhood do if they can't park their rustbuckets on the street?

Growing up in suburban New Jersey, most of the towns just generally prohibited overnight street parking, so you either had to have a driveway/garage large enough to accommodate your cars, or do without.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
I'd pay extra to not have to read all this HOA poo poo that comes up every dozen pages or so and goes on for another dozen pages

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Wild EEPROM posted:

I'd pay extra to not have to read all this HOA poo poo that comes up every dozen pages or so and goes on for another dozen pages

There are a couple thread tags you can use that will do exactly this. Go hog wild!

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Dillbag posted:

There are a couple thread tags you can use that will do exactly this. Go hog wild!

Wait, what? We have some kind of post filtering by keywords now? :psyduck:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

No, he simply has to post that request with the banme tag and he won't have to read it again.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Wild EEPROM posted:

HOA horror stories are one of my favorite parts of this thread. Schadenfreude more than anything, really.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

GreenNight posted:

I'd pay extra to live in a neighborhood with no children.

How about a whole city?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laguna_Woods,_California

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Median age of 78, that sounds like hell. . . It would be impossible to ever drive more than 20mph. :psyduck:

Not Wolverine fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jan 25, 2015

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Crotch Fruit posted:

Medican age of 78, that sounds like hell. . . It would be impossible to ever drive more than 20mph. :psyduck:

Sure it would, during bedtime (4pm to 2am)

enziarro
Sep 4, 2004

I'm not an angel - I'm a Galactic Pioneer.
The Villages is the sprawling olds-only mecca of central FL. I've seen some real poo poo on some commercial service calls up there, I can't imagine what some of those piece of poo poo houses were put together like.

And yeah, 25MPH is speed racing and golf carts are street legal, geezers get plates and everything. You even see snowbirds with out of state tags on their golf carts.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

e: forgot what forum this is!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

enziarro posted:

The Villages is the sprawling olds-only mecca of central FL. I've seen some real poo poo on some commercial service calls up there, I can't imagine what some of those piece of poo poo houses were put together like.

And yeah, 25MPH is speed racing and golf carts are street legal, geezers get plates and everything. You even see snowbirds with out of state tags on their golf carts.

Sup other goon who lives within driving distance of The Villages! Better yet, it's just one of several old people towns I know of where golf carts are street legal, there's one over on the coast that I have to drive through whenever I'm going south down A1A where suddenly the speed limit plunges and there's a bunch of mini golf cart roads that merge into and out of the street. Florida is the place where old people go to die very slowly in their goofy miniature electric vehicles.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

I have an uncle who retired from the Orange County Sheriffs. The cop slang for retirement community Leisure World was Seizure World.
Unsurprisingly they were there all the time for medical calls

SwivelTits2000
Jan 17, 2007
Retarded

SkunkDuster posted:

HOA horror stories are one of my favorite parts of this thread. Schadenfreude more than anything, really.

Mine is hanging in there. Making sensible decisions, being pretty reasonable, and generally handling everything with a healthy dose of common sense. I'm enjoying it while it lasts. It's the price I pay for living in one of these newfangled mixed residential / commercial developments, where people are suddenly starting to realize how awesome it is to not have to get in the car and drive 20 through 15 minutes of suburban traffic just to grab a coffee or buy groceries. It's almost like the cities were a pretty good idea, or something.

Sorry to disappoint, thread. :(

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

SwivelTits2000 posted:

Mine is hanging in there. Making sensible decisions, being pretty reasonable, and generally handling everything with a healthy dose of common sense. I'm enjoying it while it lasts. It's the price I pay for living in one of these newfangled mixed residential / commercial developments, where people are suddenly starting to realize how awesome it is to not have to get in the car and drive 20 through 15 minutes of suburban traffic just to grab a coffee or buy groceries. It's almost like the cities were a pretty good idea, or something.

Sorry to disappoint, thread. :(
I live in a city and people still drive cars to go grocery shopping 8 blocks away.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I do too and I sometimes do it myself and it's because carrying a bunch of groceries home by hand sucks.

I used to live in SF and I lived 1 block from a laundromat and I would drive there becuase my wife and I would save up like a ton of laundry and then go do it all at once and carrying it all over there sucks compared to just putting it in the car.

All that said, mixed-use zoning is very good and more people should live that way, as long as it's not me, because I love having a big two-car garage I can do projects in, a back yard I can let go to weeds, and not listening to my upstairs neighbors run around their apartments at 2 AM having a screaming argument before having loud make-up sex and screaming fake orgasms.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Leperflesh posted:

and not listening to my upstairs neighbors run around their apartments at 2 AM having a screaming argument before having loud make-up sex and screaming fake orgasms.

This combined with lots of BOOM BOOM BOOMBOOMBOOM sounds of people running up and down the stairs (that shared a common wall with us) is exactly what my old apartment was like. Buying a house (also with a 2 car garage and a big rear end backyard) was one of the best things I ever did. I didn't mind the apartment noise too much but MANNNNNNN you can bet your rear end I don't miss it and wouldn't know what to think if I'd have to pay attention to my noise level or worry about someone parking in my space again.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Leperflesh posted:

and not listening to my upstairs neighbors

I 100% do not miss having my cigarettes put out by the dog pissing on the next (wooden) balcony up from mine.

I couldn't even really blame the poor fucker, as the balcony was literally the only walk he ever got. :(

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I mean, you can still rent a house, this isn't a screed against renting so much as it is against lovely multi-family housing with inadequate soundproofing between units.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

That's actually one major advantage renting has over buying, all else the same: don't like the situation? WAAAAAY easier to just find a new place.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I have lived in lovely apartments where you hear the baby next door 24/7, and I've also been in non-lovely apartments where you can't hear anything around you.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
Even though noise is a pain in the rear end, I cannot stress how much of a pain it was in my bachelor apartment when people would park in my spot. Hell I had TWO spots designated to me, but almost every single day I'd come from from work and someone would be in my spots. I even tried checking with my neighbors a few times and they either didn't know who they were or were lying to me, probably lying.

I couldn't park in the street or anything because there was no place to park without parking someone in. My only choice was to park in another spot and hope someone didn't get too pissed, which starts a really annoying chain reaction down the entire complex.

I haven't lived there since 2007, but my neighbor's stupid rear end van (which permanently had an Upwards game in the front dash/window, which was cool) still shows up on google maps and for once is actually parked in his own space. Here's a streetview picture of it. I'm surprised the google car/whatever it's called wasn't jacked considering the neighborhood.

(my 2 spots circled for all that care)

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Tyson Tomko posted:

Even though noise is a pain in the rear end, I cannot stress how much of a pain it was in my bachelor apartment when people would park in my spot. Hell I had TWO spots designated to me, but almost every single day I'd come from from work and someone would be in my spots. I even tried checking with my neighbors a few times and they either didn't know who they were or were lying to me, probably lying.

I couldn't park in the street or anything because there was no place to park without parking someone in. My only choice was to park in another spot and hope someone didn't get too pissed, which starts a really annoying chain reaction down the entire complex.

At our condo complex parking in someone else's spot is an act of war. The accepted response is to sit there and lay on the horn until someone comes out to take the walk of shame.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Crosspostin' for the people that haven't seen it; life at my job is... exciting.

Wasabi the J posted:

That is the least of my company's power issues.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

What in the actual gently caress is going on there?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Collateral Damage posted:

What in the actual gently caress is going on there?

The city block lost power, boss man (probably) said "TIME LOST IS MONEY LOST, I'LL HIRE WHATEVER CONTRACTOR IS DUMB ENOUGH TO HOOK THIS GENERATOR UP IF YOU PUSSIES WON'T!"

Load bearing ratchet strap
Pulling the keyhole shelves sideways
Piles of cable
Plugged into the mains with no switch
In front of an actual door

"gently caress it, just put cardboard on it. Keeps the terminals from arcing on my hood, should be the same for three-phase."

Thankfully that poo poo's all gone and properly installed (now).

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

At our condo complex parking in someone else's spot is an act of war. The accepted response is to sit there and lay on the horn until someone comes out to take the walk of shame.

Related

quote:

Condo parking dispute: B.C. couple upset over Court of Appeal ruling

Port Coquitlam couple has spent a decade fighting strata's decision to assign parking spots

The B.C. Court of Appeal has, in a split decision, ruled a Port Coquitlam couple can be forced to sell their condo in order to settle a decade-long dispute over their assigned parking stall.

After more than 50 court appearances in front of 32 judges and six petitions, Cheng-Fu Bea and his wife Huei-Chi Yang Bea have lost.

The court ruled their strata council had the right to seize their unit and sell it to recoup legal costs - but the couple seems determined to fight the appeal and take the case all the way to the Supreme Court of Canada.

"You wait and see what happens if they sold my unit. I will claim for the damages," Mr. Bea said.

Beas lost all appeals

Cheng-Fu Bea and Huei-Chi Yang Bea's six year legal battle has ended in a contempt of court ruling that is costing the couple their condo in this complex.

​The dispute began in 2006 when the strata council at 2378 Rindall Ave declared the parking in the building common property and assigned specific parking spots to each unit.

Last year a judge ordered Cheng-Fu Bea and his wife, Huei-Chi Yang Bea, to vacate their condo so that the strata council could sell it to recover more than $170,000 in legal costs.

The Beas refused to accept their strata's decision and launched a petition in B.C. Supreme Court, which ruled the strata was well within its jurisdiction to implement the new parking regime.

Instead of appealing the decision, the couple launched a series of new petitions, all of which failed because the argument had already been heard.

The petitions were followed by various appeals that, according to the strata's lawyer, Phil Dougan, eventually involved 28 different judges in dozens of courts. The couple lost all the appeals.

Meanwhile the Beas continued to disobey the order restricting them to their assigned parking spot.

Contempt of court ruling

The strata, which had incurred more than $173,000 in legal costs defending itself from the Beas' court actions over six years, finally applied for a contempt of court ruling.

Last May the court ruled in the strata's favour, found the couple in contempt of court, and gave the Beas until June 15 to vacate the property so that the strata could sell it.

The couple appealed that decision, and on Thursday two of the three judges who heard the case in the B.C. Court of Appeal upheld the earlier decision.

In their decision, justices Nicole Garson and Anne Mackenzie wrote that, "The chamber judge had jurisdiction to make an order for seizure and sale of property, as such an order is analogous to the historical power to use sequestration as a remedy for contempt."

The third justice in the ruling, Justice Richard Goepel, disagreed.

"In his opinion the court’s inherent jurisdiction to sentence for contempt was limited by the provisions of the Supreme Court Civil Rules and the chambers judge did not have the jurisdiction to order the sale of the appellant’s property," said the ruling.

Strata has accepted offer of $170K

It's not yet clear whether the couple will attempt to appeal to have the case heard in the Supreme Court of Canada. The Beas are asking a lawyer to help take their case forward, if the court agrees to hear it.

"I would like to ask for the public opinion, maybe some pro bono lawyer make me a hand for this," Mr. Bea said, in broken English.

Meanwhile, the strata has a court order allowing them to see the unit and has accepted an offer for $170,000, which may cover most of their legal costs.

An appraisal is set for Wednesday afternoon and if the court agrees the price is fair, that sale could go through 30 days later.

"Is there a winner or a loser in this? No, there is definitely not. We are all losers, we lost a lot of money over the last few years," said one of the condo residents, Vigi Davyduke.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Can't you just get the mis-parked vehicle towed? It costs enough to get your car out of impound that I doubt many people would be willing to do that more than once.

EDIT: vvv I think they were ignoring the parking assignations, which accrued penalties that they refused to pay, which eventually ended them up in court, and now their condo is getting seized to pay court fees.

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jan 30, 2015

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

idgi, they were upset because they got assigned a specific spot?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Collateral Damage posted:

idgi, they were upset because they got assigned a specific spot?

I guess? And now that they've spent six years pissing off the courts and probably bungling every last aspect of the case, they'd like an actual lawyer to come in on their behalf...for free, of course.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

enziarro posted:

My folks thought it seemed like a good place to retire and bought a home there. Sold it less than a year later because the place is full off assholes. Glen Beck and Sarah Palin spoke there multiple times during their stint. The houses are pretty well built, though, My dad is a stickler for that sort of thing.

Whole place is full of sinkholes, though. Houses disappearing and poo poo, and they try to cover it up.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Trent posted:

Whole place is full of sinkholes, though. Houses disappearing and poo poo, and they try to cover it up.

Florida apparently has retirement communities that are full of sinkholes as well. It's like the planet is correcting the worse human offenses without letting us resort to outright murder.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
The thread will be pleased to hear that today while driving through the wastelands of outer Fairfax County VA, where rampant development is the norm, I spotted a house for sale sign near a development. Featured at the top of the sign was the phrase "NO HOA"

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

neogeo0823 posted:

Florida apparently has retirement communities that are full of sinkholes as well. It's like the planet is correcting the worse human offenses without letting us resort to outright murder.

A lot of southern Florida is swampland. Honestly, what do they expect to happen when they build structures of questionable quality on swampland?

josiahgould
Nov 10, 2009

n0tqu1tesane posted:

A lot of southern Florida is swampland. Honestly, what do they expect to happen when they build structures of questionable quality on swampland?

Listen, lad. I've built this community up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was swamp. All the snowbirds said I was daft to build a town in a swamp, but I built it all the same, just to show 'em. It sank into the swamp. So, I built a second one. That sank into the swamp. So I built a third one. That burned down, fell over, then sank into the swamp. But the fourth one stayed up.

An' that's what your gonna get, lad -- the strongest retirement community in the southern USA!

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

n0tqu1tesane posted:

The sinkholes and the swamps are largely unrelated. The sinkholes come from the carbonate rock that underlies pretty much all of Florida, which is relatively easily dissolved. Although the swampland thing certainly contributes it's fair share of problems.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It's called "karst topography," and it's a really cool geological phenomenon!

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Leperflesh posted:

It's called "karst topography," and it's a really cool geological phenomenon!

Unf, yeah baby, that's some well-developed karst you have there. Shake that thang! Oh poo poo poo poo! SHIIIIIIT!" *Sinkhole swallows home*.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
I only know about Karst because of growing up in Kentucky with amazing cave systems everywhere.