Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Abu Dave posted:

Oh, is everything carried through vWii mode?

yeah, i think you can also run gamecube games through vWii if you have the gamecube controller adapter

edit: here's a thread on neogaf explaining how to do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Abu Dave posted:

Whatever goons, I'm sorry I just want a healthy and competitive game industry in the future. :colbert:

Is there a Wii U Homebrew thread? I don't have search.

What you want and what reality is are two different things, and you seem to be conflating the two. Nintendo made enough money off of the Wii to keep their operations up and running for something like 30 years if they never made a dime again. Historically, it's been really dumb for anyone to write off Nintendo. I don't know if you are young and that's why you haven't seen it, but, literally, since the NES, people have always said that Nintendo's going to fail and they need to go third party if they hope to remain afloat. This is what they've been saying for 35 of the 40 years that home consoles have existed.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Fremry posted:

What you want and what reality is are two different things, and you seem to be conflating the two. Nintendo made enough money off of the Wii to keep their operations up and running for something like 30 years if they never made a dime again. Historically, it's been really dumb for anyone to write off Nintendo. I don't know if you are young and that's why you haven't seen it, but, literally, since the NES, people have always said that Nintendo's going to fail and they need to go third party if they hope to remain afloat. This is what they've been saying for 35 of the 40 years that home consoles have existed.

Please stop.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Abu Dave posted:

By the way, Earthbound is the Meme Run equivalent of the 16 bit era

:downsbravo:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Dieting Hippo posted:

yeah, i think you can also run gamecube games through vWii if you have the gamecube controller adapter

The only way to do so that isn't a major pain in the rear end involves homebrew, but if you get that running, you can play GC games with a Pro Controller or Classic Controller if you don't have the GC adapter. The GC adapter is totally supported though and all four controller ports are recognized!

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Actually, this guy probably gets off to negative attention.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

face it nintenerds and sonyerds japan will be underwater due to climate change within this century and microsoft will be the only vidcon team in town. read em and weep - the climate reports that is. all human endeavor becomes increasingly more pointless as we inch ever closer to our certain extinction and society as we know it being ripped asunder

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Austrian mook posted:

New Super Mario U is fun

It really is. It's actually one of my favorite games on the system so far, but I think that's because I didn't have a Wii, so I didn't get burnt out on the series.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dieting Hippo posted:

edit: here's a thread on neogaf explaining how to do it

Thanks dude.

Yeah I bought a Pro Controller to do this, do you need a Wii Remote to even get into vwii mode at all tho? Didn't it used to be like that

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Yes, you need a wiimote to boot up vWii and navigate the menu.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Abu Dave posted:

Thanks dude.

Yeah I bought a Pro Controller to do this, do you need a Wii Remote to even get into vwii mode at all tho? Didn't it used to be like that

Yeah, you need a Wiimote to get into vWii. It will stop you if you don't have one connected.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Fremry posted:

It really is. It's actually one of my favorite games on the system so far, but I think that's because I didn't have a Wii, so I didn't get burnt out on the series.

I've played them all and U is the stand out obvious best in my eyes.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

can you play gamecube disks with a homebrewed wii u or roms only

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

ISOs only, the Wii U disc drive literally cannot read GC discs.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Abu Dave posted:

Whatever goons, I'm sorry I just want a healthy and competitive game industry in the future. :colbert:

Is there a Wii U Homebrew thread? I don't have search.

I don't think so, but it's not a very complicated process. AFAIK, you need an external hard drive and a particular Wii game; this is for Wii mode only. I think Wii U homebrew is only in its infancy right now.

Edit: wups sorry did not realize there was already an entire page of people saying this.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

ChaosArgate posted:

ISOs only, the Wii U disc drive literally cannot read GC discs.

thats what i thought

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I really like my Wii U and I was someone who originally thought the system was poop. I wish I had bought one when they first came out. This along with my PS4 has made me a happy gamer.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I bought a Wii U when it first came out but it was really unfinished and bad, so I think you actaully came in the right time. The UI took like 10 seconds to load to do anything, all the while being extremely sluggish, the game updating and downloading was archaic and made you wait, and IIRC the Miiverse wasn't that well done if there at all. Gotta give Nintendo credit for making the system actaully presentable and snap and cool with the UI now.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

I said come in! posted:

I really like my Wii U and I was someone who originally thought the system was poop. I wish I had bought one when they first came out. This along with my PS4 has made me a happy gamer.

I was also one of the people who talked about how crappy the Wii U was. I think you would have had a rough time if you bought it at the beginning. Wii U didn't really hit it's stride until 2014. But here's to the bright future we have on this console.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Abu Dave posted:

Face the truth Nintenerds (:haw:) but third party games are more important and sell better than Nintendo games ever will, and if Nintendo continue down this road they will meet doom eventually. In 20 years times kids will be nostalgic for Call of Duty not Mario or Zelda. And if they can't get a Call of Duty 30 on the new Nintendo system at the time then they won't get it, similiar to what is happening now, as the kids who grew up with PS2 and PS1 aren't getting WiiU's because the stuff they're nostalgic for (Madden, Call of Duty, Guitar Hero) aren't on there.

Which sucks, because the first party games are always excellent, but that's the price Nintendo has to pay until they inevitably go third party or close.

My 4 year old's first video game which he was willing to play for more than 10 minutes and actually finished was Mario 3D World. I also know plenty just like him and others who love playing games on their 3DS with classic Nintendo characters as well. Now he loving Mario Kart 8. At the same time, he cannot get enough of watching me fight Dragons in Skyrim but I am okay with that!

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

I said come in! posted:

I had bought one when they first came out. This along with my PS4 has made me a happy gamer.

same except PC instead of PS4 because I want online to function

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I bought my Wii U on launch day and have never been dissatisfied with it.

That could partially be due to the fact that I also have a 3DS and to a lesser extent PC for my gaming needs if there's nothing on the Wii U I particularly want to play. Also it doesn't bother me when my Wii U isn't being used RIGHT THIS SECOND.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Does pro controller work in wii mode through Vwii?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Does pro controller work in wii mode through Vwii?

No.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

epitasis posted:

face it nintenerds and sonyerds japan will be underwater due to climate change within this century and microsoft will be the only vidcon team in town. read em and weep - the climate reports that is. all human endeavor becomes increasingly more pointless as we inch ever closer to our certain extinction and society as we know it being ripped asunder

I see that someone hasn't read about the giant seawalls they're building around Japan out of unsold Japanese Xboxes.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Abu Dave posted:

I bought a Wii U when it first came out but it was really unfinished and bad, so I think you actaully came in the right time. The UI took like 10 seconds to load to do anything, all the while being extremely sluggish, the game updating and downloading was archaic and made you wait, and IIRC the Miiverse wasn't that well done if there at all. Gotta give Nintendo credit for making the system actaully presentable and snap and cool with the UI now.

I remember everyone being really impressed with the way downloads worked when it first launched. You didn't have to wait for updates to download and install, you could just start a game while it did everything in the background. Everyone was like "This is amazing and how it should be!" when our only comparisons were the archaic PS3 and 360 way of doing it.

The quick start menu is kind of amazing even though it's incredibly simple. I love being able to start up a game and have it do it's thing while I fire up the TV and change video inputs.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

Abu Dave posted:

By the way, Earthbound is the Meme Run equivalent of the 16 bit era

stop posting in this thread

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
Aren't most Xbox1 and PS4 games either less than 1080p or less than 60fps? What is all this Wii U is underpowered stuff, it should matter what they do with it.

http://www.ign.com/wikis/xbox-one/PS4_vs._Xbox_One_Native_Resolutions_and_Framerates

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Nolgthorn posted:

Aren't most Xbox1 and PS4 games either less than 1080p or less than 60fps? What is all this Wii U is underpowered stuff, it should matter what they do with it.

http://www.ign.com/wikis/xbox-one/PS4_vs._Xbox_One_Native_Resolutions_and_Framerates

The PS4 hands down has the best performance out of all of the relevant consoles. But to that I say, big deal. If someone really cares about 1080p/60fps gameplay on all of their games, their only option is PC. Buggy games, and publishers deciding randomly to take away digital games that people paid for are why I avoid that platform though other then for MMOs.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

I dunno. Beautiful Nintendo graphics at 1080p 60fps has basically ruined me, it looks so nice.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

which wii u games are 1080/60? stuff like captain toad and mario world are 720/60

not that it really matters since they own anyway

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

Awesome! posted:

which wii u games are 1080/60? stuff like captain toad and mario world are 720/60

smash bros i think. maybe mario kart

edit: maybe bayonetta 2

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

smash definitely is 1080/60 good call. mk8 is 720 and bayo is 720 and struggles to hit 60

I think part of the difference is most nintendo games use larger shapes and bright solid colors, especially for characters so upscaling to 1080 isnt as apparent as with something like a CoD or an uncharted game

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

elf help book posted:

I wish I was a treehouse member.

same

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Awesome! posted:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=736354

Rayman Legends - 1080p | 60 fps

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate - 1080p | 60 fps *frame drops heavily, averages around 38fps*

Mario Kart 8 - 1080p | 60 fps

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U - 1080p | 60 fps

Bayonetta 2 - 1080p | 60 fps

I actually thought most of those 720p titles listed were 1080p so my cute eyes are idiots.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

so really we have rayman legends and smash bros at true solid 1080/60

still more than the xbox one i think :v:

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I think Mario Kart drops to 30fps in multiplayer. I don't remember why I think this, but I do.

Ruddha
Jan 21, 2006

when you realize how cool and retarded everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky
nintendo doesn't try to do photo-realism or anything close to it so it's way, way easier to get good performance when you're making, essentially, pretty cartoon games. they are very good to play.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Lemming posted:

I think Mario Kart drops to 30fps in multiplayer. I don't remember why I think this, but I do.

Just in three or four player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Ruddha posted:

nintendo doesn't try to do photo-realism or anything close to it so it's way, way easier to get good performance when you're making, essentially, pretty cartoon games. they are very good to play.

Photo-realism is not very cute anyway.

Except Nintendogs, which is cute.

There should be a Nintendogs HD.

• Locked thread