Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I'm seriously racking my brain to envision even a ridiculous hypothetical scenario in which those weapons would save officer/civilian lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Doctor Butts posted:

Also, judging by almost all of the terrorist attacks I've ever heard of, vehicle mounted guns are loving worthless unless NYPD seriously loving thinks that they're going to be in a sustained conflict for hours on end. And if that's the case, it's not going to do you any good.

gently caress. By the time the armed vehicle gets there, poo poo would already be over and it would only be good for hanging crime scene tape around.

They plan to shoot down any more planes should an attack come.

Like that'll work. In the mean time, threaten protesters.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I'm reminded of that line from "The Pentagon Wars," "If you go out there with a huge gun on the turret, the enemy is going to unload everything they have at it. You want me to put a big sign on it saying 'I'm a troop transport, not a tank, please don't shoot at me?' ".

The police rolling a tank into a non-violent protest is going to turn it violent really quickly I'd think.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Radbot posted:

I'm seriously racking my brain to envision even a ridiculous hypothetical scenario in which those weapons would save officer/civilian lives.

Soviet Paratroopers.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yeah those are going to be really good at killing bystanders and nothing else.

This SRG sounds like those paramilitary police units in Brazil that are notoriously corrupt and heavily armed. There's just no possible way this will end well if you are comparing terrorists with protesters and advocating for heavier arms.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Radbot posted:

Chitauri invasion.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Gravel Gravy posted:

Seriously. All it will take is the police bring in these things, some guy starts taking pot shots from a rooftop, police mow down protesters in response. Congratulations on your Boston Massacre reenactment!

Except this will be a lot more than a crowd of angry rioters screaming, threatening and hurling rocks at a pair of terrified privates on gate duty. The Boston Massacre was almost entirely fabricated and blown out of proportion by the New England newspapers to generate a Causus Belli. It was really more of "terrified gate guard would really like the people to go away and stop throwing rocks" than "evil Redcoats march down the street, slaughtering shopkeepers, women and children left and right." Turns out America was pretty much founded on utter bullshit and lies. :v:

Anyways, yeah, the whole "show up armed and ready to gun down protestors" is exactly the wrong response and it seems every big city is taking it these days. Showing up to the protests with just some cops in uniforms makes them just part of the terrain. The protestors won't exactly like the police but they understand that the police are there in their roles as peace officers to make sure everything's safe. Showing up in full combat gear, waving guns at protestors, etc. means you're going to make the protestors angry by threatening them and making it very clear that their demands aren't even being considered. In return the protestors get angrier and angrier until you get potshots from the roof.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Joementum posted:

Quote of the day, "[I'm] sad for my kids, my grandkids, and my country. I leave for Israel tomorrow. I may not come back.” ~ Romney advisor Ron Kaufman.

:byewhore:

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Radbot posted:

I don't think that's the concern here

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
It is also pretty ironic that police are responding to protests decrying the militarization of police by showing up even more militarized.

"Oh you don't like that we show up looking like paramilitary stormtroopers? Well I bet you won't be saying that with a TANK ROLLING OVER YOUR FACE"

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Stereotype posted:

It is also pretty ironic that police are responding to protests decrying the militarization of police by showing up even more militarized.

It's the cop equivalent of "YOUR STRUGGLING ONLY MAKES MY DICK HARDER"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Can you imagine what would happen if a police riot line opened fire into a crowd of protesters in the good old USA in the era of everyone having a video camera on them at all times?

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Doctor Butts posted:

Also, judging by almost all of the terrorist attacks I've ever heard of, vehicle mounted guns are loving worthless unless NYPD seriously loving thinks that they're going to be in a sustained conflict for hours on end. And if that's the case, it's not going to do you any good.

gently caress. By the time the armed vehicle gets there, poo poo would already be over and it would only be good for hanging crime scene tape around.

I think they want this poo poo because they're expecting more ambush-style attacks on cops in the future, like with Eric Frein. All the attacks and hatred people have of cops now probably has them spooked.

So they probably want this in case of random guys deciding to shoot up cops or blow them up with IEDs or something. Or groups of attackers like with Charlie Hebdo. And they get to crack down on big OWS-style protests as a bonus.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

zoux posted:

Can you imagine what would happen if a police riot line opened fire into a crowd of protesters in the good old USA in the era of everyone having a video camera on them at all times?

Of course I can. A bunch of people will get upset about it, but then they'll be shouted down by assholes who blame the protesters for not following the law.

Sure, you'll have a fuckton of video showing people getting gunned down, but the same assholes above will do the same loving bullshit they did with the Rodney King beating video "Well, what happened before this that provoked the cops, I think we should look into that instead".

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
I can hear the defenses already. Sorry zoux, but plenty of Americans are bootlicks who would be perfectly willing to put up with that.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

No I think that would be beyond the pale for pretty much everyone guys.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Kenzie posted:

I think they want this poo poo because they're expecting more ambush-style attacks on cops in the future, like with Eric Frein.

This poo poo would do nothing to protect them against that type of attack unless this became the new exclusive patrol vehical.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
I'm not quite cynical enough to think that poo poo would fly at least not right now. It's easier to put a spin on one black guy being killed because he "had a record/came at me like a demon/reached for a donut that we thought was a gun..." than it would be to mow down college aged kids.

Enough time in my life to find out how wrong I am though.

Edit: Further the kind of people that would defend the cop casually strolling along while pepper-spraying people likely have an easier time doing that because they've never been pepper sprayed. Everybody has a pretty good idea of what it would feel like to be shot or dead though.

Gin and Juche fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jan 30, 2015

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

zoux posted:

If its not being almost universally thought of as a bad idea, I'm not so sure. Sure, it could be chicken little poo poo on my part, but... gently caress dude... vehicle mounted machine guns at protests in the United States of America.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Radbot posted:

There isn't one. As far as I know a vehicle mounted heavy machine gun is only good for laying down cover fire for advancing infantry or duking it out with other forces that also have vehicle-mounted heavy machine guns. Either scenario taking place in an ultra-urbanized area like NYC would result in tons of civilian casualties and would be completely implausible to begin with.

So it's either for that or for pointing at protesters to make them go away. Which is more likely?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

zoux posted:

58% of the country blamed the students for the Kent State Massacre http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=kn0yAAAAIBAJ&sjid=-bUFAAAAIBAJ&pg=862,4936664&dq=kent-state&hl=en

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Rhesus Pieces posted:

There isn't one. As far as I know a vehicle mounted heavy machine gun is only good for laying down cover fire for advancing infantry or duking it out with other forces that also have vehicle-mounted heavy machine guns. Either scenario taking place in an ultra-urbanized area like NYC would result in tons of civilian casualties and would be completely implausible to begin with.

So it's either for that or for pointing at protesters to make them go away. Which is more likely?

they are also quite useful when your trench is facing an oncoming enemy infantry attack, and the enemy has not invented tanks or airplanes yet

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Ironically, this will lead to people looking into buying rpgs/anti-tank weapons, which will be supplied by terrorists or those with ties to terrorist organizations so the cops win the rhetorical battle any way you slice it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Was that poo poo on video tape?

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Munkeymon posted:

Texas Miracallllllllll

Best post of 2015 so far.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

LorneReams posted:

This poo poo would do nothing to protect them against that type of attack unless this became the new exclusive patrol vehical.

Sure it could. It's supposed to be a rapid response unit. So if someone starts taking down cops, you can bring up heavy firepower very quickly to help deal with it instead of getting pinned down.

Not that I support what they're doing, but I think that's why they're doing it at least.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

zoux posted:

It won the Pulitzer Prize

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

zoux posted:

I've only seen pictures.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Remember how different the public reaction to the Mike Brown and Eric Gardner outcomes were? What was the difference there?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Kenzie posted:

Sure it could. It's supposed to be a rapid response unit. So if someone starts taking down cops, you can bring up heavy firepower very quickly to help deal with it instead of getting pinned down.

Not that I support what they're doing, but I think that's why they're doing it at least.

Yeah, if this was in response to something major where cops were getting mowed down or were totally underequipped for something like the N. Hollywood shootout that lead to cops getting AR-15's I could understand it, but it's literally them responding to feeling threatened about public outcry with regards to their militarization and treatment of minorities with becoming the most militarized police force in the country. Jury's still out on how they treat minorities since they're basically on a paid strike right now and coincidentally they aren't harassing them... but the next time a riot breaks out in the Bronx or Washington Heights I fully expect minorities to get mowed down wholesale since you don't put on a condom unless you intend to gently caress.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

zoux posted:

Depends on how pale the guys are.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

zoux posted:

Just like a dude getting choked to death for reasons caused such a public outrage that the officers involved were held accountable for what was obviously murder?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

site posted:

Ironically, this will lead to people looking into buying rpgs/anti-tank weapons, which will be supplied by terrorists or those with ties to terrorist organizations so the cops win the rhetorical battle any way you slice it.

This is actually similar in my mind to how the overreach by the government and State Sec has spurried a huge leap/wave in encryption related innovations for average consumers just because they are concerned about the government spying on them, technology that is then in turn easily acquired and modified by the terrorists State Sec intended to catch, thus ironically their very efforts have resulted in them strengthening their targets ability to evade.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

zoux posted:

You need to specify 'with live rounds' because otherwise I watched it happen live in Oakland several times over the course of Occupy and nobody gave a poo poo, even when it put a OORAH MARINE in critical condition.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Unzip and Attack posted:

Just like a dude getting choked to death for reasons caused such a public outrage that the officers involved were held accountable for what was obviously murder?

It did cause a public outrage :confused:

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

zoux posted:

You shortened my sentence which changes its meaning quite a lot.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

zoux posted:

And the punishment for the offending officer was?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The outrage was over the lack of punishment.

Actually I'm going to out cynical you all, I think that the police could MURDER A BABY on LIVE TELEVISION and the loving IDIOT FUCKER AMERICAN PEOPLE would go, and imagine I'm doing the retard voice here "HMMMRRRGGG WHERES MY CSI AND MY TV SHOWS".

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
What we're saying is that yeah, people would get mad if officers gunned down a bunch of protesters, but the actual outcome would be very similar to the multiple other on-camera murders committed by cops recently. The "outrage" wouldn't impact the outcome in terms of holding those responsible for the unnecessary use of deadly force responsible.

E: oh nevermind you're just trolling. Nothing else to see here I guess.

Unzip and Attack fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jan 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

zoux posted:

The outrage was over the lack of punishment.

And now after seeing a cop get off scot-free for what was the recorded death of an innocent man in a situation entirely created by the NYPD officers' actions that could have been avoided...what makes you think there isn't a large chunk of the American Right who wouldn't start victim blaming through a facade of crocodile tears if a bunch of college kids or minorities get gunned down during a protest? Is it a belief in basic human decency? It is, isn't it?

I suggest you go read the Freep thread if you don't already and disabuse yourself of that notion.

• Locked thread