Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

In that case you should be portable and able to look for a new job in your field. You would need to make sure your EAD stays current so that you have work authorization, and if USCIS issues an RFE on your I-485 you would have to respond showing you ported appropriately, but its pretty low key as far as immigration goes (I have never actually seen a case denied for portability issues, although it could happen).

I would recommend you confirm your portability with an attorney (your company's or the one you saw) before actually making any switch, just because I don't want you relying on me for life choices. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is there a job site that shows visa-sponsorship positions?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

You mean a site that advertises positions that the company is willing to sponsor people for? I am not aware of anything like that except for J-1s, there are a variety of companies that provide basically a job-matching service - but these are for things like work-summers, au pairs, etc, not for professional positions.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Is there any way of transitioning from an E1 or E2 visa to green card status?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Dear Ashcans. I dumbly waited until the very last minute (3 days before the 90-day-period-before-the-2-year-temporary-greencard expires) to submit my application to remove temporary status on my green card. They sent a receipt to my house and actually cashed the check I sent them, already. My case is sound so I was only really worried about sending it to them at the last minute with a bad check or a bad signature page, and since they cashed the check they hopefully thought the signature page was ok too (I read that a bad check or signature page is the only thing that will make them reject an application out of hand instantly). So right now the date on my green card is up but since I sent in my application I'm ok for now. When will they be sending me a new green card,, even just a temporary one-year one, which is what I read happens between when you submit and when they process and approve and give you the ten-year one?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

redreader posted:

Dear Ashcans. I dumbly waited until the very last minute (3 days before the 90-day-period-before-the-2-year-temporary-greencard expires) to submit my application to remove temporary status on my green card. They sent a receipt to my house and actually cashed the check I sent them, already. My case is sound so I was only really worried about sending it to them at the last minute with a bad check or a bad signature page, and since they cashed the check they hopefully thought the signature page was ok too (I read that a bad check or signature page is the only thing that will make them reject an application out of hand instantly). So right now the date on my green card is up but since I sent in my application I'm ok for now. When will they be sending me a new green card,, even just a temporary one-year one, which is what I read happens between when you submit and when they process and approve and give you the ten-year one?

There are a handful of things that can get your case rejected (including a dumbass in the mailroom :v:) but if they have cashed your check that means they have accepted it. For future reference (and anyone following along at home) you can actually pull a copy of the cashed check from your bank and get the receipt number of your case off the back, if you need super-fast confirmation and can't wait for the receipt to arrive.

So at this point they are processing your case; if they have any questions, they should either issue a Request for Evidence, or call you for an interview. I feel like interviews usually only happen if something has happened to the marriage and your sponsor won't jointly sign the I-751 with you, because then they'll want to know what's up.

Did you get your receipt notice? The I-751 receipt notice actually counts as a one-year extension of your expired green card - they don't issue a new interim card, you just need to carry around the receipt for your application to show that its in the process of being renewed.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Thanks! Yes, my friend is at my house checking my mail while we're away, she said I got my receipt.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Ashcans posted:

There are a handful of things that can get your case rejected (including a dumbass in the mailroom :v:) but if they have cashed your check that means they have accepted it. For future reference (and anyone following along at home) you can actually pull a copy of the cashed check from your bank and get the receipt number of your case off the back, if you need super-fast confirmation and can't wait for the receipt to arrive.

So at this point they are processing your case; if they have any questions, they should either issue a Request for Evidence, or call you for an interview. I feel like interviews usually only happen if something has happened to the marriage and your sponsor won't jointly sign the I-751 with you, because then they'll want to know what's up.

Did you get your receipt notice? The I-751 receipt notice actually counts as a one-year extension of your expired green card - they don't issue a new interim card, you just need to carry around the receipt for your application to show that its in the process of being renewed.

Totally forgot about this thread - must have unchecked it.

Confirm all of this. Also, it's unlikely you'll be called in for an interview to remove conditions on your lawful permanent resident status.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

JFairfax posted:

Is there any way of transitioning from an E1 or E2 visa to green card status?

State Department says E visas are not dual-intent, although USCIS says they are dual-intent. You can usually extend E status inside the US if there is an approvable immigrant visa petition pending. This would most likely be through marriage, although if you're looking to go all-in with an EB-5 (at least $500,000 investment, usually $1 million and jobs created for a green card), that might be possible too.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

TheImmigrant posted:

Totally forgot about this thread - must have unchecked it.

Confirm all of this. Also, it's unlikely you'll be called in for an interview to remove conditions on your lawful permanent resident status.

I don't expect it. When they did the initial interview that everyone does right after applying for a green card through marriage, they granted it on the spot. The lawyer said that was unusual and most people's cases get reviewed a week or two later, then granted. Also my wife and I opened accounts together, get money put into the same place, etc.

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3
Day 48 of 60. poo poo's getting real. It's my birthday next Monday (day 54, which is apparently the sweet spot) so I will try calling that night to see if NVC have looked at the replacement paperwork we sent in.

Booked all my husband's flights, all the way from Rockhampton, Queensland to Boston, MA over the weekend which was a pretty sad task.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Hope that it comes through for you soon! Sorry that you have to send your husband on while you're waiting, that sucks.

Also, you're headed to Boston? Small world! Look us up in the Boston thread when you get here, we're mostly terrible people but we can help you find the good tacos (there are none) and survive the winters (drinking)

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3

Ashcans posted:

Hope that it comes through for you soon! Sorry that you have to send your husband on while you're waiting, that sucks.

Also, you're headed to Boston? Small world! Look us up in the Boston thread when you get here, we're mostly terrible people but we can help you find the good tacos (there are none) and survive the winters (drinking)

I hope so too, if they tell us we have another checklist I may actually die.

Yay I totally will! Well, we are staying in New Hampshire with SAM's parent's until his job starts in September then we will be in Vermont. But our airport is Boston! And we plan many Boston trips. We are prob gonna stay a day or so when I first get there so I can buy an actual winter coat from North Face or something. Good times.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

I'm close to Boston too. You can find good tacos at Howling Wolf Taqueria in Salem.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

No questions today. Just some good news: Pikestaff got her W-2 from work and it turns out, to our surprise, that she did in fact make enough to sponsor me entirely by herself. Makes things a little easier, and I've got the last of the documents she needs from me in the post a couple of days ago, so we're getting close to being able to apply :)

SeventhUncle
May 1, 2014
Any advice on finding an emigration lawyer? I'm an Austrian citizen living in the US with a green card. My wife is a natural born US citizen and our kids are dual citizens. I want to get dual citizenship as well.

This seems relatively straight forward on the US side but Austria is confusing about it and I don't know where to go for help.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

SeventhUncle posted:

Any advice on finding an emigration lawyer? I'm an Austrian citizen living in the US with a green card. My wife is a natural born US citizen and our kids are dual citizens. I want to get dual citizenship as well.

This seems relatively straight forward on the US side but Austria is confusing about it and I don't know where to go for help.

Are you wondering about applying for permission to be naturalized in the US without the loss of Austrian citizenship?

SeventhUncle
May 1, 2014

Groda posted:

Are you wondering about applying for permission to be naturalized in the US without the loss of Austrian citizenship?

That's exactly what I'm wondering about.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

SeventhUncle posted:

First, I am not an Austrian lawyer, and cannot offer any advice or opinion as to Austrian law. Wikipedia, which is most definitely not an Austrian lawyer, has the following (with citations - the most useful feature to Wikipedia): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austrian_nationality_law#Loss_of_Austrian_citizenship

Like so many issues in nationality law, it appears the answer is "it depends." Practical application is often very different than the letter of the law. Obviously, you'd need to consult an Austrian lawyer to get clear guidance on this. From the US side, part of the oath of citizenship is renouncing foreign allegiances, but in practice this is never investigated. I've naturalized several Mexican nationals in the US. Mexico does not recognize renunciation of US citizenship, but this has no effect on naturalization in the US. Mexicans (or, e.g., Turkish or Iranian nationals) who naturalize in the US become dual citizens, and remain subject to obligations of their citizenship of birth.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

SeventhUncle posted:

I can't recommend one on the fly, but you can try to find an immigration firm that maintains branches or partnerships overseas. There are, for instance, firms that have both Canadian and US immigration attorneys on staff so that they can coordinate people's processes and make sure everyone stays in compliance on both sides. You might have to dig a little more to find someone with US/Austrian partners, though. Also this route is going to be expensive, because you are basically retaining two layers in different countries and asking them to collaborate as well as handle the individual matters.

A lower-tier option is to contact the Austrian consulate and speak to someone there about maintaining your Austrian citizenship in the event that you naturalize in the US. The consulate is certainly going to be more informed on whether this is possible and how to manage it than doing self-help.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011
US-Austria Chamber of Commerce would be a good place to ask around too.

SeventhUncle
May 1, 2014

Ashcans posted:

I can't recommend one on the fly, but you can try to find an immigration firm that maintains branches or partnerships overseas. There are, for instance, firms that have both Canadian and US immigration attorneys on staff so that they can coordinate people's processes and make sure everyone stays in compliance on both sides. You might have to dig a little more to find someone with US/Austrian partners, though. Also this route is going to be expensive, because you are basically retaining two layers in different countries and asking them to collaborate as well as handle the individual matters.

A lower-tier option is to contact the Austrian consulate and speak to someone there about maintaining your Austrian citizenship in the event that you naturalize in the US. The consulate is certainly going to be more informed on whether this is possible and how to manage it than doing self-help.

When I asked the consulate they told me that I don't need a lawyer because Austrians don't need lawyers for everything like Americans do.
This is, of course, bullshit since Austrian bureaucracy is not something you want to face alone.

But you're right, I would absolutely rather find help than do this alone. IANAL and I don't even play one on TV.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

SeventhUncle posted:

Well, that's not really a question for this thread, is it?

SeventhUncle
May 1, 2014

Groda posted:

Well, that's not really a question for this thread, is it?

It seemed like it was.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Proof of income question. I make enough to clear the income bar if I include both my day job plus money from freelancing writing work, which pays me through PayPal. From what I can gather, since the payment is all done through PayPal, I don't actually get any tax forms from my clients and I'm just supposed to self-report it when I do my taxes. I'm planning to do that, but will it look dodgy? Is there any other sort of proof that I should include, aside from my taxes? Maybe print out my PayPal statement? I realize that sort of thing can be doctored but I'm not sure how else to prove that side of my income.

For what it's worth, the bulk of my money comes from my job, but it'll be PayPal pushing me over the bar.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I know very little about taxes, but I believe that your clients are supposed to issue you a 1099 if they pay you more than $500 in the course of the year (they may not). At any rate, if you are using self-employment income as part of your sponsorship, you should submit your most recent tax return including all the additional schedules showing that income and business loss, etc. to demonstrate the business you are doing. This obviously assumes that you have been doing your taxes correctly! The good news is that you are only required to actually submit your most recent return, so if you make sure you do your 2014 return to the letter it should be fine.

Also USCIS/immigration agents are not tax professionals so they aren't really going to audit your return, they're just going to check to make sure the numbers line up properly.

You may want to consider including something like 30 days of business invoices/payments - do you issue invoices? You can probably generate that stuff out of paypal these days, I dunno, but showing some evidence that the business exists and is ongoing is useful, and something you should have ready in case there is any question about it.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Checked my case status today, it says my welcome notice was mailed.

I don't want to make any assumptions, so I apologize if this a stupid question - but could you please clarify exactly what this means? Am I done? Like done done?

Decairn
Dec 1, 2007

Whats the ability to coming in on a work visa and bringing along the common-law spouse of 20 years as well?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Same Great Paste posted:

Checked my case status today, it says my welcome notice was mailed.

I don't want to make any assumptions, so I apologize if this a stupid question - but could you please clarify exactly what this means? Am I done? Like done done?
Welcome notice means that your case has been approved, and they have sent you the approval notice. Technically there is one final step, which is the actual production of your card - usually this only takes a week or so, often the card arrives close to the same time as the welcome notice. So you are basically set!

Decairn posted:

Whats the ability to coming in on a work visa and bringing along the common-law spouse of 20 years as well?
US immigration will generally recognize a common law marriage if it is accepted and legal wherever you are coming from. To make things simpler, it is best if you can get/provide some sort of documentation of this though. If our country/city/etc issues some sort of certificate or recognition of your common-law marriage, you can present this in the place of a conventional marriage certificate. If you do not have any such documentation, you are putting immigration officers in the position of having to make the determination, which they will probably not appreciate, and can easily go badly for you.

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3
We are expecting an answer this week but now the NVC is closed for weather ahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahhahaa

I am actually going insane. I am now making up reasons why we'll be refused. "Well they want to know about your husband's income, and though his 2013 earnings (which we submitted) were in USD from his Guam job, now he is earning AUD until he goes home and starts his new job in September so you're gonna be refused completely." Alternatively: "they hate you, lol".

:negative:

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
So... some vaccinations are required for US immigration.

I'm wondering about the measles\mumps vaccinations for US immigration. Did this apply in 2002? I found an article for 2009 which I assume is updated but it doesn't state what was updated in the list.

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3
We got a case complete last night! Thanks Ashcans and others for all your help during this arduous journey.

Now just have to get a medical and wait for my interview. Easy poo poo.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

lol internet. posted:

So... some vaccinations are required for US immigration.

I'm wondering about the measles\mumps vaccinations for US immigration. Did this apply in 2002? I found an article for 2009 which I assume is updated but it doesn't state what was updated in the list.

I'm not sure I understand what you are looking for. Are you trying to find the current requirements, or what they were in 2002? If you want to know what is currently required, there is a chart of vaccinations shown on I-693 (page 5). Note that these are what could potentially be required - what is actually required is left to the discretion of the physician, based on CDC guidelines, and they can decide that a vaccine is not appropriate (for example, if someone is pregnant or is immunosuppressed).

If you want to find out what was required in 2002 (why?) you would probably need to backtrack the form revisions to find and old version in use at that time, or the equivalent record. There should be memos and guidance for it somewhere, if you are determined. I can tell you that I had to have the MMR when I came to the US in 2001.

Sharks Below posted:

We got a case complete last night! Thanks Ashcans and others for all your help during this arduous journey.

Now just have to get a medical and wait for my interview. Easy poo poo.
That's great! Congratulations!

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3

Ashcans posted:

That's great! Congratulations!
Thanks! I'm excited. Bit nervous about the medical but I have no conditions, physical or mental, so I'm not totally sure why I'm nervous :laugh: I think I'm worried that they will discover things wrong with me then I won't be able to go..

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid

Ashcans posted:

If you want to find out what was required in 2002 (why?) you would probably need to backtrack the form revisions to find and old version in use at that time, or the equivalent record. There should be memos and guidance for it somewhere, if you are determined. I can tell you that I had to have the MMR when I came to the US in 2001.

Can't remember what vaccinations I got during 2002 and with the whole measeles outbreak thing going now, was wondering if I did get vaccinated already if not, would go get it.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

lol internet. posted:

Can't remember what vaccinations I got during 2002 and with the whole measeles outbreak thing going now, was wondering if I did get vaccinated already if not, would go get it.
I can' t tell you for sure, but the MMR requirement is not new and I definitely had it in 2001, so you probably did too. This is much more a question for your doctor though, I am sure there are plenty of people who don't have/don't remember their vaccine history and end up getting re-vaccinated for stuff.

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3
If you desperately don't want to get vaccinated (which doesn't appear to be the case anyway) you can get titre tested, I did, not because I don't want to be vaccinated but because I was getting prenatal checks done anyway so they added that on to the giant amt of blood I needed to give up. v:shobon:v

hot sorcery
Apr 11, 2009

Sharks Below posted:

Thanks! I'm excited. Bit nervous about the medical but I have no conditions, physical or mental, so I'm not totally sure why I'm nervous :laugh: I think I'm worried that they will discover things wrong with me then I won't be able to go..

Oh my god this is probably my fault that you're nervous! Don't be! You'll be completely fine! The doctor did tell me he found a slight murmur I think after listening to my heart for a very long time... Said it wasn't a problem though.

And congratulations :) You're very close now!

And re: MMR, when I had my blood test they also checked that I had my MMR since I didn't have a proper record of it (along with chicken pox). The only vaccine I ended up getting was a tetanus booster.

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3

King Louie posted:

Oh my god this is probably my fault that you're nervous! Don't be! You'll be completely fine! The doctor did tell me he found a slight murmur I think after listening to my heart for a very long time... Said it wasn't a problem though.

And congratulations :) You're very close now!

And re: MMR, when I had my blood test they also checked that I had my MMR since I didn't have a proper record of it (along with chicken pox). The only vaccine I ended up getting was a tetanus booster.

It's not your fault at all! I was nervous before our talk, heheh. You actually helped me a lot! I have a better idea of what to expect now.

I am just looking at my vax records now and I can't see a varicella one though I know I had it. The problem with being a doctor's kid is that some of your vaccinations and treatment get kind of "undocumented" if they're done at home, and also I think I had some vax at school which also wouldn't be documented.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
When I went in for my medical they just drew blood to see what vaccines I'd had, then determined I didn't need any so I didn't need to come back. No problem.

• Locked thread