Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Buzkashi posted:

That reminds me of something I think I heard about the first responders at the Virginia Tech massacre, that the classrooms were eerily quiet except for the ringing of cell phones from victims' friends and family calling to check on them.

If there isn't a film scene similar to this I demand someone make it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monny
Oct 20, 2008

dollar dollar bill, y'all

Buzkashi posted:

That reminds me of something I think I heard about the first responders at the Virginia Tech massacre, that the classrooms were eerily quiet except for the ringing of cell phones from victims' friends and family calling to check on them.

Similar but different: after the Charlie Hebdo killings in Paris, the terrorist bros holed up in a building outside of town and a dude that worked there hid in a cupboard under the kitchen sink. Luckily he thought quick and turned his phone to silent just before text messages from his worried family started rolling in. Just thinking about that kind of close call gives me cold sweats :stare:

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Imagine how lovely the family would feel if he hadn't put in on silent though :v:

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

WaltherFeng posted:

If there isn't a film scene similar to this I demand someone make it.

I demand the family's grief is not used to make a quick buck because it sounds cool, and that they dont have to have a visual reminder of the day they lost their loved ones.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Buzkashi posted:

"With all the mobile phones that were called, the entire island lit up in the fog. It was like Christmas trees. There was nothing we could do. All the phones were the strongest impression - and the worst":smith:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Wedemeyer posted:

I demand the family's grief is not used to make a quick buck because it sounds cool, and that they dont have to have a visual reminder of the day they lost their loved ones.

They can just not watch the movie if it hits too close to home. Think of what the family of the Amityville Horror feels like. The murder family, not the loving liars.

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

Happened on a random non-wiki article: http://priceonomics.com/a-history-of-tug-of-war-fatalities/

quote:

In 2007, two 17-year-old boys participating in a tug of war game at a Colorado homecoming looped the rope around their hands and suffered amputations. “Hearing it was pretty gross,” a student at the scene later told NBC. “There was like a lot of people screaming and just all blood flying everywhere and just people running out of the room." Signs were later posted at the Christian high school that read, “Their hands are in His hands.”

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I broke my finger when the rope snapped in a tug-of-war. It was my friend's dad's barbecue or something and there were like 20 dudes that weighed at least 250 apiece. And two 10 year olds, who got sent to the front. I was behind my friend and he got it MUCH worse, breaking basically everything in his hand.

The best part was that they took us to some lovely clinic in a strip mall, and because they were neither my parents nor had made any real attempt to contact my parents, they wouldn't touch me anyway.

So they taped my friend's hand back together and made it clear that I should definitely see a doctor, and my friend's uncle or coworker or whoever dropped me off at home. I ended up with a metal bar taped to my hand for a few days and a slightly crooked pinkie finger, but also will never play tug-of-war again.

That poo poo is like a rubber band and sounds exactly like one when it breaks.

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

RNG posted:

"Their hands are in His hands.”

Haha, holy poo poo

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Amphigory posted:

Haha, holy poo poo

Do they mean that their individual hands went to heaven? Cause if heaven had a bunch of limbs just floating around that sounds weird.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Solice Kirsk posted:

Do they mean that their individual hands went to heaven? Cause if heaven had a bunch of limbs just floating around that sounds weird.

It's creepy and it's kooky,
Mysterious and spooky,
It's all together ooky.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Solice Kirsk posted:

That's what Limbo is really for. :downsrim:

But really I'm sure it's just some "this is God's plan" poo poo.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

Yeah there are weird beliefs when it comes to bodies.

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

Solice Kirsk posted:

From reading the article, the kids both had their hands surgically reattached, but were going to need multiple operations to get them healed and working again. The school raised money for the operations and "their hands are in His hands" was the (remarkably dumb) slogan they picked for the fundraiser.

It's a lot funnier to imagine the kids and their families showing up to put flowers on tiny little partial graves, though. :D

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

Assuming these were typical 17-year-old boys, there is no way that their hands went to heaven.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Chicken Butt posted:

Assuming these were typical 17-year-old boys, there is no way that their hands went to heaven.

That's why God tore their hands off, then. If they had listened to their abstinence only, no masturbation sexual education class, they would have been fine.

Or if they jacked off more often, they wouldn't have had to cheat for grip, and they would be fine. They whacked off at just the correct rate to get their hands torn off.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Not Wiki but the Internet Archive offers some fascinating historical relics.

Wow, this company looks like it's going places.

http://web.archive.org/web/20010517001704/http://www.cantor.com/

Sure the website's a little clunky but-

http://web.archive.org/web/20011005074530/http://www.cantorusa.com/index.php

Oh...

quote:

CANTOR FITZGERALD AND ESPEED STATEMENT REGARDING DISASTER AT HEADQUARTERS AT ONE WORLD TRADE CENTER IN NEW YORK

11 September 2001 --- The London offices of Cantor Fitzgerald International and eSpeed International are doing everything possible to assess the situation at their world headquarters at One World Trade Center in New York City.

Both companies had operations on the 101, 103, 104 and 105 floors. Approximately one thousand people are employed by the two companies at the World Trade Center. Currently we are unable to determine how many employees were in the building at the time of the attack or confirm if they were safely evacuated.

"All of our thoughts and prayers are with our NY colleagues and their families and friends at this time," said Howard W. Lutnick, Chairman of both companies. "In a very difficult and confused situation we are doing all that we can to determine more about the situations of colleagues."

The companies ask that anyone who can confirm the safety of any of the potentially affected employees to phone 212-704-8188. Relatives and friends who wish to enquire about employees should call
(from inside the US) 866-326-3188
(outside the US) +44 (0)20 7894 3721.

quote:

Cantor Fitzgerald lost over two-thirds of its workforce, considerably more than any of the other World Trade Center tenants or the New York City Police Department and New York City Fire Department. CEO and chairman Howard Lutnick, whose brother was among those killed, vowed to keep the company alive

Nckdictator has a new favorite as of 22:07 on Jan 30, 2015

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Theres a very good documentary on Netflix about the company and how it was able to survive, its called Out of the Clear Blue Sky.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Jahi McMath--dead or deceased?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jahi_McMath_case

The family has gone to incredible lengths to alienate people, too. And it can't be healthy to have a corpse in the house with little kids.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Khazar-khum posted:

Jahi McMath--dead or deceased?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jahi_McMath_case

The family has gone to incredible lengths to alienate people, too. And it can't be healthy to have a corpse in the house with little kids.

I can't imagine why a poor African-American family might not trust the medical establishment.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Nckdictator posted:

I can't imagine why a poor African-American family might not trust the medical establishment.

That... doesn't make it less creepy.

If anything it makes it more tragic. Distrust of medical establishment + religious fervor = falling into the hands of the same people involved in the Terri Schaivo debacle.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
S/he's just saying it's understandable after poo poo like Tuskeegee and all that.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Captain Monkey posted:

S/he's just saying it's understandable after poo poo like Tuskeegee and all that.

I know. I'm just saying that makes it even more unsettling. Another reminder that awful poo poo has a way of leading to even more awful poo poo no one could have seen coming.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
I remember that happening, as I live in the east bay :( It was so tragic, but it also shows the mother failing to grasp the informed consent before the surgery as much as the declaration of brain death following it. That girl's brain dead body is likely a mess now, with reduced internal regulation it will be close to impossible to prevent her from degrading over time, unless I'm mistaken and her brain stem is more functional than I'm assuming.

I hope they find peace eventually and let their girl's body go, since she is already clearly gone.

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004
gently caress that. I tell my wife keep me around as long as possible even if I'm declared brain dead. There's no,telling what advances in medicine and science might occur in the next ten or twenty years.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Otto Von Jizzmark posted:

gently caress that. I tell my wife keep me around as long as possible even if I'm declared brain dead. There's no,telling what advances in medicine and science might occur in the next ten or twenty years.

My mom works in a long-term care unit.

My sister and I got the "If it ever comes to it, do not put me on life support. I want a DNR. This is non-negotiable." talk when we were like 12.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
Look at this Facebook message her mom made in October 2014:

quote:

Hello Everyone, I wanted to take this time out to thank you all for every donation every prayer and every positive thought you send Jahi's way. Jahi is physically stable. All of her organs are fully functional, her skin is flawless and all of her joints are nice and loose. She is a real life sleeping beauty. She is alot more responsive to my voice now than what she used to be. If you catch her at the right time she confirms that she knows left from right a leg from an arm a thumb from an index finger ect...... Once she follows the command it seems to just wipe her out so I try not to over do it but sometimes I'm so excited I can't help but to keep pushing her. It is amazing to me how something so small as a wiggle of a finger can mean so much!!! I love my daughter very much and I have watched her progress from December until now. There is definitely an improvement. She recently just had an MRI done and it does show damage but it also shows brain structure and blood flow. She had a lot of other test done as well and they confirmed what I already knew. JAHI CAN HEAR ME!!! Her EEG shows brain waves which I was told she didn't have when she was in California. I can not express the happiness I felt when I seen with my own eyes that my daughter had a brain with structure. I was told previously that it would be liquefied or have holes in it because it had been without blood flow and oxygen for 9 months. That is not the case with my daughter. Every person is different and every person heals differently. Jahi has also started puberty!! She started her menstruation a couple of months ago and it comes on time and last 3-5 days like any normal female. If you really think about it Jahi is capable of giving life how can the dead give life? Thank you all for your donations, kind words of encouragement and PRAYER. Please keep praying for Jahi that is the most important thing you could ever give her. I believe more than anything it is the positive thoughts and faithful prayers that have been keeping her going. We will pray for you all as well, thank you.

It's been such a long time at this point. I really don't want to know how the rest of her aside from the face looks. They must have used a poo poo ton of make-up.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

FourLeaf posted:

Look at this Facebook message her mom made in October 2014:

It's been such a long time at this point. I really don't want to know how the rest of her aside from the face looks. They must have used a poo poo ton of make-up.

Never underestimate the power of denial.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Captain Monkey posted:

It'd be more understandable if the family hadn't disobeyed medical orders and fed the girl while she was in recovery. That seems to have been what ruptured the sutures, causing massive blood loss and death. The family keeps changing its story about that.

It is tragic the girl died. She looks like she was a happy girl. But what the family is doing now is downright macabre.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I agree. But it's a grieving family of disadvantaged minorities in America. It's absolutely the fault of the family for not listening to the advice of the medical world, but it is also the medical world's partial fault because of the lack of trust between them and a subset of their patients. It's also partially the fault of the religious nutjobs who tell the family that God will heal her. And probably a few other people too for good measure. The world rarely breaks down into a binary guilty/innocent paradigm, even if we're trained to think that way.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Mak0rz posted:

My mom works in a long-term care unit.

My sister and I got the "If it ever comes to it, do not put me on life support. I want a DNR. This is non-negotiable." talk when we were like 12.
yeah my dad works in the medical field as well and gave me the same exact talk. :(

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I would love to hear from a third party neurologist on Jahi's condition. Not her mom, not her lawyer, not a doctor who is paid by either one of those two.

Here's another unsettling case of futile medical care:

Marlise Munoz was a pregnant woman in Texas who had a pulmonary embolism in November 2013 and became brain dead. The hospital kept her on life support against her and her husband's wishes due to a Texas law that requires lifesaving measures on pregnant women (even though in this case the fetus was nonviable due to the oxygen deprivation it had suffered when Marlise had stopped breathing). There was a legal battle which resulted in her husband being allowed to remove her life support, as the court determined the law did not apply to people who were already dead. Marlise was removed from life support in January 2014.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Is it really civilian medical doctors' faults that government-sanctioned butchers brutalized blacks in the past? I mean, I doubt that Jews in Germany are wary of medical doctors because of Mengele's concentration camp horror show.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

BattleMaster posted:

Is it really civilian medical doctors' faults that government-sanctioned butchers brutalized blacks in the past? I mean, I doubt that Jews in Germany are wary of medical doctors because of Mengele's concentration camp horror show.

I suppose it's the lack of a major shift in power that's the problem. Jews in Germany can be reasonably sure they're not going to get Mengele'd, because the Nazis aren't in power any more. There was no massive regime toppling to signal "They're not gonna try Tuskegee again".

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Well I'd never even heard of Tuskegee until today. Unbelievable.

That story of the dead girl is very sad, but this Tuskegee thing has blown my tiny mind, for any number of reasons.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

The much of modern medical community hasnt really done anything to earn trust beck from the black community. There is a poverty aspect but there's a lot a doctors with terrible bedside manner and a lot of black patients feel that doctors don't care about healing them.

It didn't help that the only apology given was from Clinton and iirc the Board of Medicine has never addressed it. I can only imagine that it's glossed over in medical textbooks and blamed on the government as well, removing agency from doctors that participated. Through from what I remember medical ethics courses in general need a lot of expansion.

Serious Cephalopod
Jul 1, 2007

This is a Serious post for a Serious thread.

Bloop Bloop Bloop
Pillbug
The average medical doctor still believes that black people do not feel pain the same way whites do.

They feel the same about Latinos and women, BTW.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/39524989/ns/health-childrens_health/t/world-hurt-minorities-get-less-treatment-their-pain/

Also, the average medical model is a white dude, leaving all other people with inaccurate and dangerous health models.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

MrMidnight posted:

Never underestimate the power of denial.

Reminds me of the whole Terri Schiavo thing when her family insisted she was tracking objects with her eyes, then during the autopsy they found most of her brain (including the visual centers) was basically just liquified.

Serious Cephalopod posted:

I had one doctor who basically ignored my complaints for about a year, refusing to run tests or do much of anything because at the time I was a teenage girl and they brushed it off as "it's in her head or she's faking it to hide an eating disorder" like it was no big thing. Once I lost about 30 pounds and could barely function they finally (grudgingly) did a test only because I wouldn't stop bugging them and found I had tons of inflammation all over my digestive system. I've always felt like if I had been male I would have been taken seriously much sooner and wouldn't have had to practically beg for a test.

Even now I still run into the occasional condescending attitude, where they treat you like you're either crazy or a child.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

The average medical doctor still believes that black people do not feel pain the same way whites do.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/39524989/ns/health-childrens_health/t/world-hurt-minorities-get-less-treatment-their-pain/

Also, the average medical model is a white dude, leaving all other people with inaccurate and dangerous health models.

white dudes and black dudes are 100% different internally so this is very important

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

quote:

I feel like there's two different and opposing messages there