Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Also it would be better than everyone who went to card game academy or whatever having inexplicably lovely decks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Shukaro posted:

Also it would be better than everyone who went to card game academy or whatever having inexplicably lovely decks.

My explanations is this: people that don't go to those academies have even worse decks, with 1500 atk level 4 normal monsters and Negate Attack at the very best. Good or even just decent cards are unspeakably rare and are hoarded by people with the money to go to duel academies.

...of course, this doesn't really make much sense consiering 5DS, but it's the best I could do.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Jaden's deck would have been improved if he'd used Negate Attack instead of Hero Barrier.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

It's pretty clear that you get a deck assigned to you at whatever school you go to, based on your name. Thus Dipper and his star deck, duh.

A Meat
Jun 28, 2013

CERTIFIED FRESH AS HELL DOC MAKER

I may have made a stupid and rash decision: I happened to see that YGO: World Duel Carnival is only 13$ now, and I thought "Oh! I have 14$ in my eshop account, I'll get that, I heard it's really disappointing and bare-bones, but it can't be that bad, and I've been itching to get back into Yu-Gi-Oh"

I don't mind the story mode being neutered (seriously, screw Zexal), I don't care for it anyways, I don't care for online multiplayer really, and I'm only kind of bummed by all the cards being available from the start, but wow, I didn't expect it to be this barebones compared to the later WC games, and it seems to run about as badly and to have even worse AI. Not to mention any additional content, and there doesn't seem to be a way to update the forbidden list?

It might just be the decks I tried out, but the AI seemed to make really dumb decisions, like choosing to destroy Inzektor monsters equipped to other monsters as opposed to not doing so and not losing, or just kind of struggling to choose attack targets that would make sense (though that might be a difficulty issue? this happened when I tried the story out for a bit). Not to mention the AI just crumbling in the face of a burn/stall deck, like in earlier games, but I've basically come to expect this.

On the other hand, it's nice to have access to some Xyz decks and it works and is portable and has a ton of deck slots.

Unrelated, is ARC-V worth watching objectively, as opposed to just being way better than Zexal?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

A Meat posted:

Unrelated, is ARC-V worth watching objectively, as opposed to just being way better than Zexal?

It's being directed by the same guy who did 5D's, so Zexal might not be the best fit for comparison. I never watched anything past the first episode of Zexal, but I'm enjoying Arc-V a lot, more than I think I did 5D's at the same point. I kind of regret getting into it this early, because it's a really good series to marathon, since there's little in the way of filler, and the overarching plot is actually really interesting but not one with a lot of resolution just yet, though part of it might just be because of anything to do with parallel universes being extremely my poo poo. Arc-V is also good about giving its recurring female characters a proper amount of focus, and they actually are proactive about working towards their own goals and to better themselves.

And it also sometimes has its own silly poo poo, like two guys using their duel disks like lightsabers or a trap in a war zone being a literal trap card.

Strange Quark fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jan 30, 2015

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

paradoxGentleman posted:

My explanations is this: people that don't go to those academies have even worse decks, with 1500 atk level 4 normal monsters and Negate Attack at the very best. Good or even just decent cards are unspeakably rare and are hoarded by people with the money to go to duel academies.

...of course, this doesn't really make much sense consiering 5DS, but it's the best I could do.

I actually liked how Yusei's deck wasn't complete rear end at the start like Jaden's was, Stardust Dragon is a great boss monster

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

one thing i have heard about arc-v: the female lead actually gets to duel

is this true or no

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Xexal is the worst of the series. Arc V is arguably the best of the series for its competent and interesting characters.

Endorph posted:

is this true or no
Yes, and they get actual improvement in skill and character development.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nyaa posted:

Yes, and they get actual improvement in skill and character development.
are we sure this is yugioh

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

My favourite bit about ZEXAL is how in Japanese it's pronounced ZEARU. The X is silent.

Pour one out for phonetics.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Endorph posted:

are we sure this is yugioh
I don't really like her though, if that help.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Dabir posted:

My favourite bit about ZEXAL is how in Japanese it's pronounced ZEARU. The X is silent.

probably because otherwise it'd sound too similar to "sexual harassment"

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dabir posted:

I'm still mad Signer is pronounced like sig-ner in Japanese and no one ever tried spelling it another way in the subs.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

People say that Yuzu (the female lead) is the true main character in Arc-V, and while it is clearly a joke, she has had more agency and importance to the plot than I believed possible. Granted, her motivation boils down to "I want to be stronger for my dueling school and possibly understand what the gently caress is going", which isn't the most origina thing in the world, but it's still more than this series has ever seen. I don't usually watch anime, so I don't know if this is a common thing or not, but I am willing to bet that this rarely happens in a show aimed at boys.

Nyaa posted:

I don't really like her though, if that help.
Just out of curiosity, what is it that you don't like about her? She's not my favorite character but I kind of appreciate her.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Endorph posted:

is this true or no

This takes a long while to actually get rolling though. I'd call Yuzu the second main character now, but for the first 28 episodes she gets annoyingly shafted.

Also Arc-V in general is legit good, and I can't believe I actually find a plot about card games actually interesting. I never really felt this way when I watched the series as a kid. Back then I just liked the game and found the show decent fun.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I'm up to the cooking duel in Arc-V. (Sidenote: How many people do you think call it "Arc Vee" instead of "Arc Five"?) And the only bad part about the show so far has been the chubby kid. God, is he annoying. "Shiberu! Shiberu!" Shut the gently caress up, kid! :argh:

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

paradoxGentleman posted:

Just out of curiosity, what is it that you don't like about her? She's not my favorite character but I kind of appreciate her.
She is going great now, but as Momomo said, for the first 28 episodes, she was stuck in this 'clueless character' archetype where she is trapped in her mental anguish of not able to figure out what the hell is going on with great frustration on herself. This gets repeated every time her bracelet shine to the boredom of the viewers after the xth time her bracelet shined. She can only sum up her observation of cause and effect such as "Yuya shows up every time my bracelet shine."

I think she also have trust issue because she declared to trust Yuya after seeing Yuto, but the next time her bracelet shine again and see Yuto, she gone back to doubting Yuya with much struggling and frustrations... For the third or fifth time.

I might had misremembered and exaggerated her characterization though.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

I'm up to the cooking duel in Arc-V. (Sidenote: How many people do you think call it "Arc Vee" instead of "Arc Five"?) And the only bad part about the show so far has been the chubby kid. God, is he annoying. "Shiberu! Shiberu!" Shut the gently caress up, kid! :argh:

Yeah, seriously. Shivers kid is dumb. It's nowhere near a big enough deal to actually affect my enjoyment of the show though, so whatever.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I am glad that if there had to be one dumb annoying character in Arc V, it is just a random kid who has no relevance of his own. Rather than someone actually important to the plot.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
The only thing of importance he has done is getting his poo poo pushed in by Mokuba 3 off-screen to confirm that he uses the same multi-summon tactics that Kaiba 5 uses.

I really dig Arc-V, lots of neat characters having their own things going, though lol at how LDS are getting chumped all over the place, they aren't bad or anything, but it's nice to see them get their asses whooped.

Also on top of duel disks being used for sorta lightsaber fights we got a duel disk in the actual form of a sword.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

The female characters in Arc V are definitely good in comparison to the other series. Yuzu has had a couple duels, for the most part took her only loss in stride, and was competent enough to have her tourney entrance secured when the male lead didn't. She is self-motivated to improve and can fusion summon (kind of a big deal in the Arc V universe, I guess?). This comes at the price of her spending most of the early series obsessed over a "doppelganger" of the male lead and her most recent duel being mostly cut, rather than balancing it with another character's.
There's another female duelist who is pretty good too, until the plot requires her memories to be erased. She hasn't gotten focus since.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Reeeeeally hoping they cut it out with the memory business soon, concerning Masumi. I want to see her wreck some rear end.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

dogsicle posted:

The female characters in Arc V are definitely good in comparison to the other series. Yuzu has had a couple duels, for the most part took her only loss in stride, and was competent enough to have her tourney entrance secured when the male lead didn't. She is self-motivated to improve and can fusion summon (kind of a big deal in the Arc V universe, I guess?). This comes at the price of her spending most of the early series obsessed over a "doppelganger" of the male lead and her most recent duel being mostly cut, rather than balancing it with another character's.
There's another female duelist who is pretty good too, until the plot requires her memories to be erased. She hasn't gotten focus since.

Masumi had a really good duel with Yuzu after the memory erasure at least. :shobon:

I hope she'll get to do stuff soon as well. I mean, another one of her friends got carded which seems like a really easy way to get around the memory erasure. Although I don't know how much more relevant the LDS trio will be, they've already been involved in more things than I expected.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

I'm just hoping that Reiji recruits some girls for his task force and that Yuzu isn't reduced to a gambling chip between Leo and the good guys.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Personally, the only reason I don't really care for Yuzu is I think her monsters' designs are really boring. Especially when compared to Yuya's and Gong's.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

11 episodes into GX season 3; the dubbers must have had way too much fun with this. And by fun I mean began to show signs that they were all losing their minds by this point and started doing weird random stuff in vain attempt to stay sane, such as 4th wall breaking, self references, famous pop culture quotes, even doing an Arnold Schwarzenegger YEARRGH when the crystal elephant attacked.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
It happened while Yu-Gi-Oh! Abridged was becoming extremely popular.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

It happened while Yu-Gi-Oh! Abridged was becoming extremely popular.

I mean yes I realize I'm watching a show where the main antagonist is making HGH from the sapped life-force of school students and something something magic eyeball monster, but I'd need to see proof of causation over just correlation here.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
At one point Chazz literally starts talking about how much better he is because he is rich.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

At one point Chazz literally starts talking about how much better he is because he is rich.

I'm pretty sure he was doing that as early as season 1. It was honestly surreal.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Silento posted:

Yeah, seriously. Shivers kid is dumb. It's nowhere near a big enough deal to actually affect my enjoyment of the show though, so whatever.

The archetype he uses is completely amazing, but we probably won't get to see any more of it because of how he got chumped off-screen.

lovely Crayon Drawings of Dinosaurs is already a top-tier deck in my heart.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

dogsicle posted:

I'm pretty sure he was doing that as early as season 1. It was honestly surreal.

Granted, it sends his ego cruising for a bruising when he starts getting the crap kicked out of him in his duels. Including a guy he thought he'd win against by default.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

The only part of Arc-V I dislike is the Odd-Eyes Dragon. :colbert: they should have gone all in and given him a deck composed only of cute circus animals.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

KittyEmpress posted:

The only part of Arc-V I dislike is the Odd-Eyes Dragon. :colbert: they should have gone all in and given him a deck composed only of cute circus animals.

After 5D's i've gotten used to decks just having dragons that aren't really related to their archetype.

Performapal's are the best deck though, they've just got so much more personality than most archetypes. Superheavy Samurai and Fluffal's come pretty close though.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

His two magician guys don't fit his deck them either, it's really odd. I was worried they would phase out the fun stuff in his deck, but other than his fusions, every other new monster fits fine. Haven't seen the hippos other than that one time though. I want the hippos, drat it.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Didnt his dad give them to him?
I think they would probably fit more with his Dad's archetype.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Most of the protagonists use some kind of Magicians or "Spellcasters that are kind of based on the Dark Magician's appearance" in their deck, even if they don't fit. Yami had Dark Magician and Dark Magician Girl, Yugi had Silent Magician, Jaden had Miracle Flipper and Card Ejector, and Yuma had Gagaga Magician and Gagaga Girl.

(Yusei is obviously the odd man out here.)

Yuya's Magicians are just following tradition, that's all.

It might be worth noting that everyone has a Gardna card in their deck, too. Yami and Yugi used Big Shield Gardna, Jaden had Necro Gardna, Yusei had Ghost Gardna and Junk Gardna, and Yuma used Gagaga Gardna. Boy, I can't wait to see Performapal Gardna!

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I always just pictured the Magicians as being like, the ring leaders of the circus. They look over the top enough for that. So the Dragon in particular stands out to me.

I'm only on episode 18 though, good to hear they don't phase them out for a more 'serious' deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Yuzu is the only main character with an archetype I don't like. I loved the cooking, Gem Knight, and Sawatari v1 archetypes. Overall Arc V seems to have mostly good ones.