Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
None of my kitchen equipment has the word "jet" in it, I feel so inadequate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Adult Sword Owner posted:

None of my kitchen equipment has the word "jet" in it, I feel so inadequate.

Well, grab a permanent marker and sort that out. I put it on my bench scraper.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I made dry-fried chicken today. It was pretty weird and tasted like bacon. While I do love chili bean sauce, I think I prefer this cooking technique for beef, with a sweet sauce.

shankerz
Dec 7, 2014

Must Go Faster!!!!!

Biomute posted:

I made dry-fried chicken today. It was pretty weird and tasted like bacon. While I do love chili bean sauce, I think I prefer this cooking technique for beef, with a sweet sauce.

Has anyone tried to cook octopus via stirfry. I have no idea and the wife says it's possible.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I imagine you can just slice it up and stir fry with any combination of onions, chili peppers, ginger, garlic, and scallions. Works well with shrimp or squid so I assume it works with octopus as well.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

shankerz posted:

Has anyone tried to cook octopus via stirfry. I have no idea and the wife says it's possible.
Like with all super tough, rubbery foods (conch, etc) there is a simple solution: slice it super thin.

Growing up, my parents regularly made stir fried dried shredded octopus or cuttlefish, and shredded jicama.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Or just EAT IT RAW and let it cook in other juices

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

So everyone is talking about the perfect wok, what about the perfect wok spatula? Cost Plus World Market made a perfect one, but alas it was wood and the bit that fastened the shovel to the handle was not the best and it came apart so I threw it out only to find no longer carried it, but damned if the length/size/angle of that thing wasn't perfect. I have yet to find its equal. Any suggestions?

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Now that I'm fully settled into the "good China", I want to start doing some serious cooking. However, this is my current hotplate/electric stove, an induction plate:

How do I use this thing to it's full potential, or does it not have any potential? I generally just hit the red button (power), then the green/silver, followed by using the arrows to adjust what I assume are power settings. I'm not really sure there is much difference between them, except "200" will boil water faster than "140", but neither will just "simmer". When I do it this way, it seems to start a timed program, where it will get up to temp for the first 10 minutes or so, then backs off for another 10 minutes or longer, then back on to the heat in cycles like that, while counting down from 60.

I just want to be able to cook something with consistency, other than taco meat and boiling veggies/noodles.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Oracle posted:

So everyone is talking about the perfect wok, what about the perfect wok spatula? Cost Plus World Market made a perfect one, but alas it was wood and the bit that fastened the shovel to the handle was not the best and it came apart so I threw it out only to find no longer carried it, but damned if the length/size/angle of that thing wasn't perfect. I have yet to find its equal. Any suggestions?

Get a Teflon or silicone one.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

fritz posted:

I think these are the noodles they have at "Xi'an Famous Foods" in NYC.

They are indeed, and they're amazing.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

They are indeed, and they're amazing.

If you're ever in LA and you want either biang biang mian or even better (IMHO), you po mian, as well as probably the best rou jia mou in the US, you need to check out Xi'an Kitchen.

My wife tells me they're the best, most authentic Xi'an food she has ever had outside of Shaanxi, including Xi'an food she's had around China (from Kunming to Beijing). They are drat good and drat cheap, especially for LA.

EDIT: I haven't tried the Xi'an place getting all the buzz in NYC but I seriously doubt they can topple Xi'an Kitchen.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Why does my local asian markets sell like 10+ different varieties of Doubanjiang using soy beans, but not a single one using broad beans? Sichuan food being so popular now you'd think they would be selling that stuff.

kontona
May 3, 2003

Amergin posted:

If you're ever in LA and you want either biang biang mian or even better (IMHO), you po mian, as well as probably the best rou jia mou in the US, you need to check out Xi'an Kitchen.

thanks! i visit LA often and definitely gonna try this place out next time i am there.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Serious Eats posted a thing about Xi'an style chicken wings. Looks good!

http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/01/the-food-lab-crispy-oven-fried-chicken-wings-xian-superbowl-buffalo-snack.html

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
As an American who's mostly only had the americanized versions of Chinese food, and who doesn't actually have an ethnic market within hours of driving, are there any easy to learn authentic recipes that I can do with ingredients I could get at the grocery store?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Neopie posted:

As an American who's mostly only had the americanized versions of Chinese food, and who doesn't actually have an ethnic market within hours of driving, are there any easy to learn authentic recipes that I can do with ingredients I could get at the grocery store?

One thing you can do is mail order. A lot of stuff you would want to get started is shelf stable so shipping is nbd.

forinstance amazon prime doubanjiang has a few things:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_p...rnid=2470954011

things like oyster sauce, sesame oil, fermented black beans, preserved mustard greens, dried shiitake mushrooms, hoisin sauce, etc are all easily shipped

willing to settle
Apr 13, 2011

GrAviTy84 posted:

One thing you can do is mail order. A lot of stuff you would want to get started is shelf stable so shipping is nbd.

forinstance amazon prime doubanjiang has a few things:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_p...rnid=2470954011

things like oyster sauce, sesame oil, fermented black beans, preserved mustard greens, dried shiitake mushrooms, hoisin sauce, etc are all easily shipped

Amazon works out so expensive in the long run. I've recently heard about (though have not yet had the opportunity to try) this website:

http://posharpstore.com/en-us/bean-paste-doubanjiang-c121.aspx

The prices seem pretty reasonable if you're willing to buy in bulk, and they have virtually every variety you could ask for (for example, when I run out of regular Pixian doubanjiang I'm definitely gonna' get myself some red oil doubanjiang from this site since it is my favourite kind).

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
I live in a trailer. There is not enough room in my pantry to buy in bulk, unfortunately.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
What's available at your grocery store? Many American grocers carry stuff like sesame oil, oyster sauce, black vinegar, etc. It's not always good brands, but it would be at least worth checking out. Maybe all you need to order from Amazon is some good soy sauce and some doubanjiang or something.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

GrAviTy84 posted:

Red Braised Pork

This is a classic dish from Hunan Province, sometimes called "Chairman Mao's Red Braised Pork" for supposedly being his favorite dish. My mom used to make this with short ribs, though classically it is made with belly, I believe. This is a recipe based on one in Fuschia Dunlop's Revolutionary Chinese Cookbook, I don't think hers is spicy enough, so I add more chilies, also I like the taste of a bit of dark soy added during my braise.

Ingredients:
1 lb pork belly, you can also use spareribs or shoulder
2 tbsp neutral oil
2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp Shaoxing wine
1 tbsp dark soy
1" piece fresh ginger, rough sliced
1 star anise
2 dried thai bird chilies (or more to taste, I use 4-5)
1.5" piece of cinnamon stick
light soy sauce, salt, and sugar
1 scallion, minced

Blanch pork in rapidly boiling water for about 5 min, remove and cool. Cut into bite size pieces. Heat oil in wok, add sugar, stir and caramelize until brown. Add pork, wine, soy, ginger, star anise, red chilies, cinnamon, and enough water to barely cover pork. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer, cover wok/pot and braise on low until tender (about 1.5-2 hrs). When tender, remove cover, turn heat up, and reduce liquid to a slightly viscous sauce. Should be able to slightly glaze the pork. Taste for salt and sugar. Top with minced scallions and serve.

Variations: You can add fried water chestnuts, whole roasted garlic (the picture has this), fried tofu, or bean curd skin to the last segment of cooking.

I have a "different" version of this aging overnight on the stove. I think I should have gone with your recipe because this didn't have bird chilies but otherwise it's very similar (though I have to reign in heat). Tasted it before I turned off the burner and it was great! Lunch tomorrow I'd imagine.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

kontona posted:

thanks! i visit LA often and definitely gonna try this place out next time i am there.

My wife and I have found quite a few good places for different regional Chinese food, plus we have some friends living there who give us recommendations too. Feel free to PM me if you want more places to check out.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

What's the best way to stir fry baby bok choy as a stand alone dish? I've had some excellent versions of it at restaurants but when I try it at home it comes out soggy and flavorless and totally unexciting.

shankerz
Dec 7, 2014

Must Go Faster!!!!!
Anyone have a recipe to make the long Chinese noodles from scratch? I had some for lunch at a restaurant called China Fun and wanted to try and make them from scratch.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Adult Sword Owner posted:

What's the best way to stir fry baby bok choy as a stand alone dish? I've had some excellent versions of it at restaurants but when I try it at home it comes out soggy and flavorless and totally unexciting.

Maybe you're cooking them for too long? The green leafy part should be wilted but the stem should be nice and crunchy. For a quick and easy way to cook them I usually will just stir fry them with some rough chopped garlic and a few dashes of oyster sauce. It shouldn't cook for more than 2-3 minutes.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

gret posted:

Maybe you're cooking them for too long? The green leafy part should be wilted but the stem should be nice and crunchy. For a quick and easy way to cook them I usually will just stir fry them with some rough chopped garlic and a few dashes of oyster sauce. It shouldn't cook for more than 2-3 minutes.

You can also toss in some mushrooms if you want. I've heard some people add canned sardines but I've never tried that personally.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Induction cookers are really good at boiling water, cooking rice and not a whole lot else. You could probably fry eggs or something in it but the way they heat up isn't that great for cooking meat, stir fries, etc...

Also bamboo is the best caberham urgh!!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Magna Kaser posted:

Induction cookers are really good at boiling water, cooking rice and not a whole lot else. You could probably fry eggs or something in it but the way they heat up isn't that great for cooking meat, stir fries, etc...

Also bamboo is the best caberham urgh!!

Why aren't they good for meat? Heat is heat.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Having spent the last three months with this one, I think I understand why. It doesn't seem as controllable as gas or electric. Yes, it cooks meat, but it doesn't seem much good for searing or any high temp stuff. And my problem is I want to be able to cook more precisely/with more precise control over the heat, and I'm not sure I can do that with this induction plate.

Otherwise, now that I've done some research and am not longer freaked out about black chicken meat; has anyone ever cooked with that? I'm tempted to try it now that I know it's actually from a fairly common breed of chicken and not some weirdly cured chicken meat or something equally strange.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Make soups or stews with black chicken.

Koreans make Sam gye tang and that shits good

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.
Thanks for the suggestions on xian food! I just returned from my trip and got to try the mutton soup once, but it was pretty tasty. Actually only got an opportunity to leave the hotel I was at once since it was eat drink and train the entire trip. Plus I ended up staying about 50km outside of the city.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I found some Sichuan pepper that is still fresh and fragrant. It's also not full of gritty black seeds. Score!
I made some Chicken Gong Bao. Still can't find any Sichuan chilies, so used dried Cascabel chilies as a substitute. Turned out perfectly, although not as red as you can get it with proper Sichuan chilies.

I guess this might technically be a Thai food question, but how do I keep my deep fried spring rolls from exploding and spilling their innards into the oil when frying them? Touching them before they've started going gold seemed a likely culprit, but it can still happen even if I am careful. Frying one spring roll at the time is also a major drag. Am I not wrapping them tight enough? Am I using too wet filling? Too much? Wrong temperature?

thotsky fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Feb 1, 2015

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

The problem is even compared to an electric range you don't have a lot of control. You can cook stuff in it, but you're pretty limited insofar as it basically has like 3 heat settings.

It also limits what kind of cookware you can use. Most induction cookers require a total flat bottom to even work correctly. This might not be a huge issue but it is annoying.

Induction stuff is great for boiling water and rice and stuff like that though. They are crazy fast.

Then again I could be totally wrong, but here in Asia having just an induction heater is pretty common and I've never been impressed with the results.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Properly designed for the task, induction is actually far superior to pretty much everything. Quick response to temperature changes, safe(r)

Adcraft Heavy Duty Stainless Steel Countertop Wok Induction Cooker, 120 Volts -- 1 each. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004UI882A/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_fWDZub1MMYWQD

Or hilariously:
Cook-Tek MW2500G Countertop Commercial Induction Wok Unit, 200-240v/1, Each https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006RFJ3H8/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_nYDZub15B8SCS

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Biomute posted:

I guess this might technically be a Thai food question, but how do I keep my deep fried spring rolls from exploding and spilling their innards into the oil when frying them? Touching them before they've started going gold seemed a likely culprit, but it can still happen even if I am careful. Frying one spring roll at the time is also a major drag. Am I not wrapping them tight enough? Am I using too wet filling? Too much? Wrong temperature?

There's a fried egg/spring roll variant in pretty much every asian culture. Various things could be happening. Are you sealing them closed? What temp are you frying at? What fillings? They should be pretty tightly wrapped. Too Much airspace and the air will expand with steam and burst the wrapper. You also want to make sure your filling isn't too wet for the same reasons.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

GrAviTy84 posted:

Properly designed for the task, induction is actually far superior to pretty much everything. Quick response to temperature changes, safe(r)

Adcraft Heavy Duty Stainless Steel Countertop Wok Induction Cooker, 120 Volts -- 1 each. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004UI882A/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_fWDZub1MMYWQD

Or hilariously:
Cook-Tek MW2500G Countertop Commercial Induction Wok Unit, 200-240v/1, Each https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006RFJ3H8/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_nYDZub15B8SCS
Those are pretty lovely.
2.5kW for the stronger one is boring.
Here the cheap one starts at 3.5kW for around 300€. I am actually considering one.
I also found the one I saw stand around at work which initially started my search. It cooks at 8kW. Sadly it costs 10k and takes real power.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

GrAviTy84 posted:

There's a fried egg/spring roll variant in pretty much every asian culture. Various things could be happening. Are you sealing them closed? What temp are you frying at? What fillings? They should be pretty tightly wrapped. Too Much airspace and the air will expand with steam and burst the wrapper. You also want to make sure your filling isn't too wet for the same reasons.

I'm not sealing them with anything more than the natural seal of the moist rice paper. Temperature is somewhat an unknown, I just eyeballed it. Just below smoking. Filled with minced pork, rice vermicelli, fresh cilantro, coriander root, carrot, soy sauce, fish sauce. My wrapping technique does need work, and I think expanding air was generally the issue.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
making Kenji's wonton soup recipe, interested to see how the stock turns out.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

If you were given a family directive to chinese-ify thanksgiving, what would you serve? Side dishes and all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

Arglebargle III posted:

If you were given a family directive to chinese-ify thanksgiving, what would you serve? Side dishes and all.
Go to a Chinese restaurant for a 10 course Chinese banquet?