Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

alnilam posted:

I know I already complained about this one, but ugh. The meteorologist is saying sorry. "Sorry, sorry I gave an 80% chance of a major snowstorm, and you rightfully took steps to be prepared, and new york happened to roll an 85. Sorry. But you have to admit it's pretty drat incredible we could make these predictions at all. But still, sorry. Oops."

Even if you don't understand predictions with uncertainty/probability (if people did, "weatherman bad" wouldn't be a thing), why is everyone so furious that they took steps to be prepared? Ugh, we got out all these salt trucks for nothing, better not even bother next time.

It's just like in that famous tale, "The Boy Who Used Advanced Computer Modeling and Chaotic Fluid Dynamics to Determine the Likelihood of Crying Wolf"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

It's just like in that famous tale, "The Boy Who Used Advanced Computer Modeling and Chaotic Fluid Dynamics to Determine the Likelihood of Crying Wolf"

lol, especially because I think Bish's cartoon about this actually evoked "the boy who cried wolf"

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
The Boy Who Cried ANY DAY NOW

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Count Canuckula posted:

Actually, he still does draw and write Grafield, even to this day. He has, like, a staff of four other people to help digitize and colour- but Jim Davis still does draw.

I hope he keeps drawing well to the point where dementia sets in. Right now, it's leading to some incredible unintentional comedy with 90-year old Frank Bolle's Apartment 3G where right now one of the characters has been approached by a random woman on the street and dragged into her apartment on the guise of ordering a café breakfast.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

loquacius posted:

I still don't get why Muir seems to think cowboy hats are such a universal panty-dropper (except for the fact that the Ladies Love Conservatives narrative fits his worldview). Is it a red-state thing or is he just making poo poo up?

I'm not really sure what that acronym stands for by itself :confused:

It's been said that in Texas, the size of your cowboy boots denotes the size of your dick; outside of Texas, they denote the size of your boyfriend's dick. I can only assume the same is true of cowboy hats and all other cowboy paraphernalia.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Fulchrum posted:

Pure japanese women have smaller breasts.

I have some images on my home computer that say otherwise goonsire.

rolosaavedra
Aug 15, 2014

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

This is still the most perplexing cartoon I've seen in any iteration of this thread. Over the years I've learned to decipher the layers of insanity, but it still stands as a testament to utter madness.

I think the point he's trying to make is that fossils are like Yu-Gi-OH 5-card sets, with the Devil being the card provider. Whenever you buy a lot of those, you get an insane number of repeats, which somehow proves the fossil record is a trick.

Mellow Seas posted:

Higher profits and lower wages means longer leashes, i.e., more freedom. A bad cartoon.
Isn't the leash meant to symbolize credit? Stagnating wages are offset by increasingly easy credit, given the poor the illusion of freedom despite it being nothing more than a longer leash. AGC.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

pathetic little tramp posted:

I hope he keeps drawing well to the point where dementia sets in. Right now, it's leading to some incredible unintentional comedy with 90-year old Frank Bolle's Apartment 3G where right now one of the characters has been approached by a random woman on the street and dragged into her apartment on the guise of ordering a café breakfast.

I'm kinda hoping Davis goes the direction Stan Lee took with newspaper Spiderman once he started going (more) nuts, which is goddamn hilarious in its nonsense.Bring back Clown 9!

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Count Canuckula posted:

Actually, he still does draw and write Grafield, even to this day. He has, like, a staff of four other people to help digitize and colour- but Jim Davis still does draw.

To elaborate, Jim Davis writes all of the gags and does rough sketch, but he has assistants doing tight penciling, inking, lettering, and coloring.

Davis is actually a pretty decent artist, but it tends to get watered down by all the assistant work.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

QuoProQuid posted:

Weird detail to get hung up on in a political cartoon.

I'm afraid you don't quite "get" this thread.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

WitchFetish posted:

I'm afraid you don't quite "get" this thread.

Anyone who thinks they get this thread, doesn't get this thread.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Gary finally gets a chance to draw the full racist caricature he's always dreamed of.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Gary finally gets a chance to draw the full racist caricature he's always dreamed of.

Oh, I'm sure he can do better worse.

Cpt.Americant
Mar 30, 2010

alnilam posted:

Close your eyes and picture someone saying "rad." Do you see a surfer dude / ninja turtle? I know I do.

I wonder what it is about Obama that made McCoy want to portray him as a "hood" rapper guy...

Obama's even from Hawaii, and still goes there for vacation (which I'm sure McCoy has used as an attack at least once). How hard would it have been for him to be a beach bum? It's almost like there is some feature of Obama, something physical, that makes McCoy think this is a more appropriate appearance for Obama trying to say "rad."

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

zoux posted:

That dude doesn't even move the needle in terms of comic book creators with really hosed up politics and opinions.

You're making me want political cartoons from Frank Miller. Stop it.

BRB gonna write up a quick Kickstarter to Lynch The McCoy Bros.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Gravel Gravy posted:

Implodes? Wouldn't that be an inside job?

I don't mean to brag, but as a man who needs two hands to count the number of times he's had sex I can assure you that you definitely should do the job inside her.

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jan 31, 2015

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Lookin' like a fool with your pants falling to the ground

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

HootTheOwl posted:

I don't mean to brag, but as a man who needs two hands to count the number of times he's had sex I can assure you that you defiantly should do the job inside her.

That might not be the best advice.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Note, there have been cartoons that take the McKee argument and somehow make it worse...

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Rorus Raz posted:

Note, there have been cartoons that take the McKee argument and somehow make it worse...

Might as well not believe anything with overwhelming evidence then, agrees past-eating morons

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Cpt.Americant posted:

Obama's even from Hawaii, and still goes there for vacation (which I'm sure McCoy has used as an attack at least once). How hard would it have been for him to be a beach bum? It's almost like there is some feature of Obama, something physical, that makes McCoy think this is a more appropriate appearance for Obama trying to say "rad."
What could possibly be coloring his opinions? Maybe it's the content of Obama's character?

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

D.N. Nation posted:

Might as well not believe anything with overwhelming evidence then, agrees past-eating morons

this comic was funny and good

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Rorus Raz posted:

I guess this goes to show, if you want to "get" science, you need to understand why it has uncertainty built into its very ideological foundations. If you want certainty, just stick to religion.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I hope Prickly City gets dropped by a bunch of papers for having this extended arc about how newspaper editors are greedy chickenshits.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Apple Pie Hubbub posted:

I'm on the mafia's side. Kamala Harris is a much stronger candidate than Antonio Villaraigosa to replace Barbara Boxer.

I don't know the context but as a reader this looks like he's upset that the Democratic Party in his state has the ability to support a candidate they feel will win and at times must choose between multiple qualified options but in the end it's better to unify the party behind the strongest rather than have a bunch of infighting.

So...yes? Why is that something evil like the mob fixing things to him?

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I don't know the context but as a reader this looks like he's upset that the Democratic Party in his state has the ability to support a candidate they feel will win and at times must choose between multiple qualified options but in the end it's better to unify the party behind the strongest rather than have a bunch of infighting.

Horsey and Villaraigosa are both LA Democrats. LA Dems have a huge chip on their shoulder (but it's nothing compared to what we have down in San Diego). Boxer and Feinstein both came out of the Bay Area and have been in office for ages. Los Angeles is the largest city in the state, it's solidly Democratic, and Villaraigosa was its popular mayor. Harris (who I like a lot), is a popular progressive Attorney General, but she would also be yet another Bay Area Democrat and a lot of people in Southern California feel like maybe we should get a turn. There's not much chance of a Republican beating either Democrat, so these kinds of regional shooting matches can take place freely without the party having to worry about picking someone "unelectable."

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Bicyclops posted:

Everyone once in awhile we claim somebody is the worst, but the worst was definitely Electronic Tigers. It was just so embarrassing. I can't believe he did things for DC.

DC once held a contest for potential artists to draw Harley Quinn comitting suicide in the bathtub, with the winner being hired.

I can.

Count Canuckula posted:

Barack Obama confirmed for Saints Row V

If you didn't make Boss Obama in Saints Row IV, quite frankly you were playing that game wrong.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I guess I forget that the funnybooks industry is burdened by gross nerd misgoyny as the video games industry sometimes. Women in Refrigerators was like the original Anita Sarkeesian.

Cpt.Americant
Mar 30, 2010

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Basically any Dem would win in California, infighting or not. Only a very freak bad Dem/moderate Rep combination would have a chance. But Southern California is 60% of the state's population, if it were it's own state it would be second only to Texas in population. Its demographics and politics are different from the Bay Area, and yet the Bay Area has had both of California's Senators now for a generation. LA is the population center, it's very strongly Democratic, so it's certainly reasonable that it would be upset that the party would go with yet another Bay Area democrat than someone from Southern California.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

quote:

I'll let Neil handle this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBdxDFpDp_k

:colbert:

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Cpt.Americant posted:

Basically any Dem would win in California, infighting or not. Only a very freak bad Dem/moderate Rep combination would have a chance. But Southern California is 60% of the state's population, if it were it's own state it would be second only to Texas in population. Its demographics and politics are different from the Bay Area, and yet the Bay Area has had both of California's Senators now for a generation. LA is the population center, it's very strongly Democratic, so it's certainly reasonable that it would be upset that the party would go with yet another Bay Area democrat than someone from Southern California.

Bitter SoCal high five!

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Saint Sputnik posted:

You're making me want political cartoons from Frank Miller. Stop it.

You should check out Holy Terror.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

And realise how wrong you are for wanting that.

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Skateboarding is radical, but vandalism is not, kids.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat
As a non-Californian I hope Villaraigosa doesn't get picked because of the crap he pulled at the 2012 Democratic Convention. It's probably unfair to him as he was likely forced into doing that, but I still don't like him for it.

Chewbaccanator
Apr 7, 2010

logger posted:

As a non-Californian I hope Villaraigosa doesn't get picked because of the crap he pulled at the 2012 Democratic Convention. It's probably unfair to him as he was likely forced into doing that, but I still don't like him for it.

What the hell is up with that Jerusalem thing.

Do parties in the US normally decide such things that way?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Chewbaccanator posted:

What the hell is up with that Jerusalem thing.

Do parties in the US normally decide such things that way?

It's all symbolic dumb nonsense to pander

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

FishBulb posted:

It's all symbolic dumb nonsense to pander

In other words, yes, this is the standard political process in the US.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Cabinet posted:

And realise how wrong you are for wanting that.

But it feels so right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

• Locked thread