Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

oblomov posted:

That's a smart move and hopefully it will drum up some hype for Y5. Sega should have done that years ago. Also, where the heck is 3 on PSN?

My guess? Probably never coming due to all the cut content that, knowing SEGA, is still on the disc untranslated. Also, it might be a problem for them to put its half-assed localization up for display when 4 uses the proper surnames for Kiryu and Kazama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Hoping Yakuza 5 does good enough to justify Yakuza 1+2 HD up on PSN. It would be awesome if all the Yakuza games were up digitally.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Captain Walker posted:

My guess? Probably never coming due to all the cut content that, knowing SEGA, is still on the disc untranslated. Also, it might be a problem for them to put its half-assed localization up for display when 4 uses the proper surnames for Kiryu and Kazama.

It's a chance for them to release Y3 Director's Cut! HaHaHa... :(

Skeezy posted:

Hoping Yakuza 5 does good enough to justify Yakuza 1+2 HD up on PSN. It would be awesome if all the Yakuza games were up digitally.

That would be awesome but will never happen unless Sony ponies up unfortunately.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I kind of want to say the 1+2 HD wouldn't be that crazy of an idea since there's a pre-existing translation but I dunno how that would work with the first game being dubbed and the second not. lol Remember when Sega thought that Yakuza might be a bit enough hit in the west that they actually dubbed it?

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Doesn't even need to be the HD version, just put Yakuza 2 up as a PS2 Classic.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Got a PS3 coming in the mail this week (this thread was a big deciding factor), so hearing that Y4 is gonna be on the PS+ dovetails nicely. I also have Y3 coming in the mail...should I power through 3 first or dive into 4 while it's available for free?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Sakurazuka posted:

How did the dating girls thing work originally in Yakuza 3, some sort of hostess minigame with affection levels? I'm assuming that randomly picking them up in Japanese McDonalds wasn't the original vision.

Exactly as you say, like with the previous games you'd go to hostess clubs and hang out with them there, then go out on various dates to do mini-games and such. If you look around the shops in Yakuza 3, you see a ton of items that serve no purpose because they were meant to be gifts you'd give to the hostesses while hanging out with them.

I almost preferred the just running into them while eating/drinking though.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Got a PS3 coming in the mail this week (this thread was a big deciding factor), so hearing that Y4 is gonna be on the PS+ dovetails nicely. I also have Y3 coming in the mail...should I power through 3 first or dive into 4 while it's available for free?

If you "buy" the free game with PS+, you get it for free as long as you subscribe to PS+. So if you bought a year subscription you will have it free for that year.

No need to skip 3.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Honestly I did all the hostess stuff in Yakuza 2 and I thought it was awful and boring so I don't mind its absence, but then just cutting it in the most overt and lazy way isn't the right solution either.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Unless your ps+ is running out soon you can just claim y4 and then play it whenever e ready, they don't get removed when the month is over

I'd play 3 first, but if it gets boring just move on to 4, 3 starts out slow as hell.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Captain Novolin posted:

Unless your ps+ is running out soon you can just claim y4 and then play it whenever e ready, they don't get removed when the month is over

I'd play 3 first, but if it gets boring just move on to 4, 3 starts out slow as hell.

2 started out relatively slowly too so I'm trying to go in with the proper expectations. Sort of like with the Metal Gear Series, I will view it as a crazy story first with fun gameplay attached.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Dumb question: will the PS+ version of Y4 load my saved games from the disc-based version?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

The Macaroni posted:

Dumb question: will the PS+ version of Y4 load my saved games from the disc-based version?

Not a dumb question in this case. The digital and disc saves of Yakuza 4 (and Dead Souls, for that matter) are for some reason not compatible. The trophies are still the same, but the digital PS+ version won't read your disc saves.

This just means you get another chance to dramatically tear off your shirt in manly fashion and play it all over again, I guess.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I'm glad they didn't cut the hostess maker from 4. I rather enjoyed playing pretty pretty princess in the manliest game.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

mikeycp posted:

I'm glad they didn't cut the hostess maker from 4. I rather enjoyed playing pretty pretty princess in the manliest game.

Eh, I just get skeeved out at the hostess thing in its entirety but I understand why it's in there. I just didn't like sticking Akiyama's story progression and a couple of trophies behind it. I'd rather play Shogi.

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

I like 4 way more than 3. I'd say do what someone else suggested and try 3, but then skip right to 4 if you get bored with it. I think 4 is a better intro to the series and then you can go back to 3 when you're jonesing for more manly Kiryu beating the crap out of punks. 3's trophies are also way more of a pain to get if you're into that.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

The hostess thing is skeevy, and Akiyama is a pretty big creep without them realizing, but it is still fun as gently caress dressing up girls in pretty dresses for XP.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Crappy Jack posted:

The hostess thing is skeevy, and Akiyama is a pretty big creep without them realizing,
As someone who doesn't have much knowledge of Japanese culture and the attitudes around hostess clubs, this always piqued my interest - is Akiyama being portrayed as a creepy/manipulative guy intentionally, or is the player supposed to view him as a kind, noble guy for getting Yasuko the hostess job and putting her through all the other poo poo that went with it?

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
I always thought of Akiyama as the Yakuza equivalent of Tony Stark; a boozy millionaire using his money to affect positive change in the world...while beating up criminals a lot.

That of course makes Taejima the Hulk, Tanimura the Black Widow, and Kiryu the Captain America (or Captain Japan) of the Yakuza universe.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Cat Machine posted:

As someone who doesn't have much knowledge of Japanese culture and the attitudes around hostess clubs, this always piqued my interest - is Akiyama being portrayed as a creepy/manipulative guy intentionally, or is the player supposed to view him as a kind, noble guy for getting Yasuko the hostess job and putting her through all the other poo poo that went with it?

I think they were trying to go for an honest sort of ugly duckling/She's All That sort of thing, where the noble Akiyama slowly draws out the inner beauty of this woman, but I don't think they considered the subtext of "I desperately need a ludicrously large sum of money and I have no collateral" "That's okay, just go on a date with me and work at my club and let me dress you up and tell you how to talk to customers." And all of that comes shortly after Akiyama laughed at the idea of his secretary getting raped because she's too fat.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Crappy Jack posted:

And all of that comes shortly after Akiyama laughed at the idea of his secretary getting raped because she's too fat.
Yeeeeeah. The translation does a less-than-admirable job with okama stuff too, from what I remember. I think I got to a point in Akiyama's story where I just beelined the main quests because I wanted his scenario to be over real quick.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I just think of Akiyama as "cool kicking dude" and that's pretty ok I think.

Anyway, have some delightful news about Sega.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

HGH posted:

I just think of Akiyama as "cool kicking dude" and that's pretty ok I think.

Anyway, have some delightful news about Sega.

Stuff like this is why we should be happy to even get Yakuza 5, assuming that actually happens. I think Sony is involved in that via the #buildingthelist thing, but if that weren't the case Sega would have no reason to ever touch Yakuza in the west again so I say fat chance on seeing 0 over here, because guess what I bet Yakuza 5 will sell horribly too.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

3PP exists solely to make stuff like this happen so thanks Sony. Thank you for saving us.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Policenaut posted:

3PP exists solely to make stuff like this happen so thanks Sony. Thank you for saving us.

I seriously want to like send Gio Corsi a bouquet of flowers or a nice cake or something.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Sega being a complete shitshow is one of the few constants in life.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Something tells me they won't be letting the right 300 people go.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?

Samurai Sanders posted:

Something tells me they won't be letting the right 300 people go.

But their sterling track record would say otherwise!

To watch the fall of Sega has been painful for me for nostalgic reasons.

My first console that was bought for me in 86 was a Master System, then I got a Genesis in 93. I was the biggest Sega fanboy until I got a PSX and even then I stuck up for Saturn. The Dreamcast renewed my fanboy fervor but the blood was in the water and I focused more on Xbox and PS1/2 by the death of the DC.

It's like watching your favorite ice cream store start to get dusty, less crowded, less staffed and finally when you take your kids to see what you grew up on, you find the place shuttered.

Funkysauce fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jan 30, 2015

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Crappy Jack posted:

I think they were trying to go for an honest sort of ugly duckling/She's All That sort of thing, where the noble Akiyama slowly draws out the inner beauty of this woman, but I don't think they considered the subtext of "I desperately need a ludicrously large sum of money and I have no collateral" "That's okay, just go on a date with me and work at my club and let me dress you up and tell you how to talk to customers." And all of that comes shortly after Akiyama laughed at the idea of his secretary getting raped because she's too fat.

He didn't laugh at the idea of her getting raped because she's too fat. He laughed at the idea because she's actually apparently a really crazy good martial artist. It comes across weird, but that's the interpretation that makes most sense to me, considering Akiyama never really brings up her body weight otherwise.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Infinity Gaia posted:

He didn't laugh at the idea of her getting raped because she's too fat. He laughed at the idea because she's actually apparently a really crazy good martial artist. It comes across weird, but that's the interpretation that makes most sense to me, considering Akiyama never really brings up her body weight otherwise.

Doesn't it happen really early before Hana is established as a martial artist though? You're right but the "haha but you're fat" angle is the impression the line gives and that sticks a bit I think

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

It happens before so that when you find out she's able to beat down everyone you can look back and say "haha, Akiyama's not (as much of) an rear end in a top hat." It's just written poorly and doesn't really work.

Dead Souls is the funniest Yakuza.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Funkysauce posted:

It's like watching your favorite ice cream store start to get dusty, less crowded, less staffed and finally when you take your kids to see what you grew up on, you find the place shuttered.

This happened to me except it was a friend that I took. I was heart broken.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Surlaw posted:

It happens before so that when you find out she's able to beat down everyone you can look back and say "haha, Akiyama's not (as much of) an rear end in a top hat." It's just written poorly and doesn't really work.

Dead Souls is the funniest Yakuza.

Yeah, the Hana thing works in hindsight, but by that point, the damage has already kind of been done, and again, there's the somewhat uncomfortable thing with Lily that only compounds it. I prefer to think of it that Akiyama's a cool dude, the writers were just really dumb for a moment. Maybe somebody in the writing room had a gun on them causing everyone to go temporarily stupid.

Also I'm still just bitter about Sayama.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Crappy Jack posted:

Also I'm still just bitter about Sayama.

There are constants in life. Crappy Jack being bitter about Sayama, and wanting a buddy cop game with Date/Sayama/Tanimura are two of them.

*edit - vvv - don't get me wrong, I've supported the idea since day 1. It's just good to see the dream stay alive.

isk fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jan 30, 2015

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

isk posted:

There are constants in life. Crappy Jack being bitter about Sayama, and wanting a buddy cop game with Date/Sayama/Tanimura are two of them.

Well, who wouldn't want a buddy cop game with Date / Sayama / Tanimura?

It's certainly a better, less horrifying constant than Sega being a dumpster fire from which no beloved property escapes.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jan 30, 2015

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

isk posted:

*edit - vvv - don't get me wrong, I've supported the idea since day 1. It's just good to see the dream stay alive.

Put that poo poo on my tombstone. Bury my heart at Millennium Tower.

Which reminds me, was Millennium Tower around in the 80's? Will it explode in Yakuza 0?

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Crappy Jack posted:

Put that poo poo on my tombstone. Bury my heart at Millennium Tower.

Which reminds me, was Millennium Tower around in the 80's? Will it explode in Yakuza 0?

It was brand new in 1, and Saejima has a throwaway thing about how it's new, so it shouldnt be there, but what was there before can still explode.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Crappy Jack posted:

It wasn't built yet. Random internet Q&A says that finding/retrieving the plans to the Millenium Tower may be part of the plot of Yakuza 0 though.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

havenwaters posted:

It wasn't built yet. Random internet Q&A says that finding/retrieving the plans to the Millenium Tower may be part of the plot of Yakuza 0 though.

So Millennium Tower won't explode, but at some point, the plans will.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

DivisionPost posted:

So Millennium Tower won't explode, but at some point, the plans will.

Defeating Amon at the end unlocks tiny model prototype mockups of the Tower, which you can throw at opponents to create a giant explosion, obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
A golden gun with infinite ammo that shoots explosive Millenium Tower bullets.

• Locked thread