Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
So this is really cool: the league some of us play in at Sharks Ice, in addition to providing a game each season for every team at the SAP Center, just notified us that there will be a first come/first serve sign up to play outdoors on the ice surface at Levi's Stadium next month. Personally, I'm highly unlikely to be shelling out the $150-200/person that it's going to end up costing, but...it's pretty loving cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

That is cool. They did that at dodger stadium and it was pretty expensive but I think luc robitaille skated with each team for a little bit

Lots of triangles
Oct 7, 2002
I'm sick of the newbie avatar

Habibi posted:

So this is really cool: the league some of us play in at Sharks Ice, in addition to providing a game each season for every team at the SAP Center, just notified us that there will be a first come/first serve sign up to play outdoors on the ice surface at Levi's Stadium next month. Personally, I'm highly unlikely to be shelling out the $150-200/person that it's going to end up costing, but...it's pretty loving cool.

Yeah, one of my teams is trying to rustle up some people for this but interest has seemed pretty lukewarm. Feels way too expensive for an hour of scrimmage, even if it is cool. Also, people were already bitching about how the ice was going to suck, but everyone is always bitching about the ice.

It's tempting to go for it just for the novelty of playing outside in CA, though.

Lots of triangles fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jan 29, 2015

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Habibi posted:

Someone forwarded a thing about this to me a couple days ago. I dithered too long and missed my chance, but I'm not sure I cared enough to pay $150-200 for it, anyway.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Pinky Artichoke posted:

I'm not sure I cared enough to pay $150-200 for it, anyway.

Lots of triangles posted:

Feels way too expensive for an hour of scrimmage, even if it is cool.

Yeah this is pretty much where I am. Sure, it would be cool, but for that money I could end up with 20-30 hours of skate/stick or drop-in ice time, and the novelty value just doesn't seem to weigh favorably against the practical value.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I'm looking to upgrade my pants. I'm currently wearing Reebok 12K that are too big for me. I'm at a weird waist size of like 37, didn't realize how big they were going to be on me. I'm thinking of going for a girdle next, any suggestions? Why is it also so hard to find green pants, I want to be different on the ice drat it!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Stick talk from the past couple of pages has me wondering a few things...I've never given sticks much thought. When I first started playing I couldn't even decide which side felt better--both were equally comfortable/awkward. I settled on right shot because its my baseball/golf swing, but then I got as straight a wooden stick as I could and would often switch sides as play dictated. Once my stick broke, I got an aluminum shaft which is probably way too stiff (looking at it, its like 100? It was sold as an intermediate stick, whatever).

Currently playing with a Reebok composite Datsuyk with an 85 flex and its still too stiff I suspect. Seeing how some of you are playing with 75s, and 70s, my question is how do I go about looking for the right stick for me? I've settled on a right handed shot (hey Kenny Holland, you could use a second!), and am obviously increasing my curve from straight. But how do I find the right flex?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

For a beginner I'd go as soft as possible. If you're not too tall for an intermediate stick I'd consider a 67 flex.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

calandryll posted:

I'm looking to upgrade my pants. I'm currently wearing Reebok 12K that are too big for me. I'm at a weird waist size of like 37, didn't realize how big they were going to be on me. I'm thinking of going for a girdle next, any suggestions? Why is it also so hard to find green pants, I want to be different on the ice drat it!

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/bauer-hockey-pants-nexus-pant-shell-sr.html

dyn
Jan 9, 2005

Barn duelin' since '07

Bilirubin posted:

Stick talk from the past couple of pages has me wondering a few things...I've never given sticks much thought. When I first started playing I couldn't even decide which side felt better--both were equally comfortable/awkward. I settled on right shot because its my baseball/golf swing, but then I got as straight a wooden stick as I could and would often switch sides as play dictated. Once my stick broke, I got an aluminum shaft which is probably way too stiff (looking at it, its like 100? It was sold as an intermediate stick, whatever).

Currently playing with a Reebok composite Datsuyk with an 85 flex and its still too stiff I suspect. Seeing how some of you are playing with 75s, and 70s, my question is how do I go about looking for the right stick for me? I've settled on a right handed shot (hey Kenny Holland, you could use a second!), and am obviously increasing my curve from straight. But how do I find the right flex?

It's going to take some time to find the "perfect stick" for you (I've been playing all my life and I still mix things up when it's time for a new twig to see what other styles are out there). There are numerous guides online on picking the right one for you based on your size, height and play style. If you have the opportunity, I'd say buy a few really cheap sticks with different curves/flex/lie (usually places like hockeygiant/hockeymonkey have stick sales and even "mystery packs" where they send you a few random sticks) and find one that you like and narrow your search down from there. Some brick-and-mortar stores have areas where you can try the stick out to get a feel for it too which helps alot. If you're comfortable with that particular stick then it shouldn't be hard to find a lighter flex. That stick I believe has a 75 flex one available as one. Might be worth to check out.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Bilirubin posted:

Whats your height/weight? Keep in mind that if you are cutting a stick you are increasing its rigidity. An 85 flex stick cut down a few inches might become a 100 so its all dependent on your height. Also, bigger guys with more power might need a stiffer stick than a smaller guy would. In my opinion the best thing to do is to start with a basic flex (80-85) and a neutral curve (P9 or something similar) and go from there. If you're shorter and lighter, go lower flex. If you're taller and heavier go with a stiffer flex.

Sticks with low flex numbers (65-75) are great for smaller guys (not always) and forwards who take a lot of wrist shots. They are great for wrist shots because they flex a lot without much power resulting in a hard and quick wrist shot. The downside is that they can be tricky and feel like a wet noodle when taking slapshots. From personal experience, my lower flex sticks were more prone to failure and would always break in the lower middle of the shaft (or the kickpoint). I've heard ovechkin (6'3" and 230) plays with a ~75 flex stick and makes his money on slapshots from the left boards so that defies a lot of norms.

Sticks with mid flex (80-85) are usually pretty good at wrist and slap shots all around. This is a great option for the average sized player who wants a good all around stick for slappers and wristers, or bigger players who want something whippy.

Sticks with higher numbers (90-110) are usually great for slap shots and bigger guys with a lot of power. They take more power to flex but will transfer more power on your slapshot. I've personally found my stiffer sticks to last much longer than my whippy sticks. Usually they end up getting tossed because the blade fell apart versus the shaft snapping in half. Chara has something like a 140 flex if I remember correctly but hes also 9' tall and ~400 lbs.

I have a slew of sticks but basically I like to have sticks for forward and defense. My forward sticks are usually 80-85 because I can get enough on a wrist shot and still have a consistent slapshot with it. The blade pattern isn't crazy but allows me to elevate the puck with ease. My defense sticks are ~95 flex and an inch longer than my forward sticks so that I have more reach and power on my slap shot. The blades are a little more mellow than my forward sticks so that I can keep it low.

It's hard to guide someone on sticks because its such a personal preference but if you have the option to try out different sticks definitely take it up. Sticks can feel wildly different from brand to brand even if they have the same flex and pattern. Some are blade heavy and other are shaft heavy. Some blades flex too much and others are rock solid.

Some people really prefer whippy sticks. Other people like it to feel like a steel rod. There really are no rules it just depends on what feels good and works for you.

Verman fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jan 29, 2015

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

calandryll posted:

I just switched from regular pants to girdle with a shell and I really like it. I'd always have to pull my pants up a little bit here and there throughout a game but the girdle just sticks right to me and doesn't move. I'm kinda bummed I hadn't switched sooner.

And on stick chat I'll echo the same thing as everyone else: it's really going to be a trial and error until you find what works for you. I know I like about 90 flex with lie 6 and a more open curve. But that's just me and its taken about a billion sticks to figure that out.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

bigbillystyle posted:

I'd always have to pull my pants up a little bit here and there throughout a game but the girdle just sticks right to me and doesn't move.

Suspenders, motherfucker!

Just got back from noon drop in, 3 subs per side. Have a 10:45pm game tonight vs a very fast team that passes a lot. Woo.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Verman posted:

Whats your height/weight? Keep in mind that if you are cutting a stick you are increasing its rigidity. An 85 flex stick cut down a few inches might become a 100 so its all dependent on your height. Also, bigger guys with more power might need a stiffer stick than a smaller guy would. In my opinion the best thing to do is to start with a basic flex (80-85) and a neutral curve (P9 or something similar) and go from there. If you're shorter and lighter, go lower flex. If you're taller and heavier go with a stiffer flex.

Sticks with low flex numbers (65-75) are great for smaller guys (not always) and forwards who take a lot of wrist shots. They are great for wrist shots because they flex a lot without much power resulting in a hard and quick wrist shot. The downside is that they can be tricky and feel like a wet noodle when taking slapshots. From personal experience, my lower flex sticks were more prone to failure and would always break in the lower middle of the shaft (or the kickpoint). I've heard ovechkin (6'3" and 230) plays with a ~75 flex stick and makes his money on slapshots from the left boards so that defies a lot of norms.

Sticks with mid flex (80-85) are usually pretty good at wrist and slap shots all around. This is a great option for the average sized player who wants a good all around stick for slappers and wristers, or bigger players who want something whippy.

Sticks with higher numbers (90-110) are usually great for slap shots and bigger guys with a lot of power. They take more power to flex but will transfer more power on your slapshot. I've personally found my stiffer sticks to last much longer than my whippy sticks. Usually they end up getting tossed because the blade fell apart versus the shaft snapping in half. Chara has something like a 140 flex if I remember correctly but hes also 9' tall and ~400 lbs.

I have a slew of sticks but basically I like to have sticks for forward and defense. My forward sticks are usually 80-85 because I can get enough on a wrist shot and still have a consistent slapshot with it. The blade pattern isn't crazy but allows me to elevate the puck with ease. My defense sticks are ~95 flex and an inch longer than my forward sticks so that I have more reach and power on my slap shot. The blades are a little more mellow than my forward sticks so that I can keep it low.

It's hard to guide someone on sticks because its such a personal preference but if you have the option to try out different sticks definitely take it up. Sticks can feel wildly different from brand to brand even if they have the same flex and pattern. Some are blade heavy and other are shaft heavy. Some blades flex too much and others are rock solid.

Some people really prefer whippy sticks. Other people like it to feel like a steel rod. There really are no rules it just depends on what feels good and works for you.

Thanks all.

I'm 5'10", 170, not exactly Mr Olympia when it comes to strength but I have good conditioning. I didn't start playing hockey until I was 23 (45 now) so didn't get the basic coaching kids who grow up with the game take for granted. I usually play where ever on the ice needs it, so I guess I'm a natural center but prefer right wing or left D. My shooting is by far my weakest part of my game so this year's focus will be on improving that (incidentally, what was said earlier on the page, about skating, is seriously true. The power skating class I took brought my game up immeasurably)

Think I might head down to Hockey Experts and see the full range of what is available then.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
So I'll be in Park City for a bit of a vacation, and I'm considering bringing my equipment to check out the Olympic rinks for drop-in/stick-n-puck. Anyone experienced those rinks?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Bootcha posted:

So I'll be in Park City for a bit of a vacation, and I'm considering bringing my equipment to check out the Olympic rinks for drop-in/stick-n-puck. Anyone experienced those rinks?

Steve Yzerman?

:unsmigghh:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Note the lie in the sticks as well -- that is more noticeable for me than any other feature.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Pleads posted:

Suspenders, motherfucker!

Does anyone else have a problem w/ suspenders falling off if you don't wear shoulder pads? I stopped wearing them because it was more trouble than it's worth.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
No suspenders here. Most modern pants have a good enough closure system that they stay closed and tight all game.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

Dangerllama posted:

Does anyone else have a problem w/ suspenders falling off if you don't wear shoulder pads? I stopped wearing them because it was more trouble than it's worth.

You just made me realize that the suspenders can go over the pads... I was having problems with them sliding over my shoulders too.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

sellouts posted:

Note the lie in the sticks as well -- that is more noticeable for me than any other feature.

By this you mean the angle of the blade off the shaft?

e. suspender talk: I never liked suspenders because the loose pants would rotate the pads in sometimes unprotective ways. Always wore them under my shoulder pads (still rocking the thin Coopers). I now have Mission M2 (iirc) pants and they fit snug, never rotate out of position, and have a few features making securing them a breeze. I will never go back to suspenders, or Cooperalls *shuders*

Bilirubin fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jan 30, 2015

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Bilirubin posted:

By this you mean the angle of the blade off the shaft?

e. suspender talk: I never liked suspenders because the loose pants would rotate the pads in sometimes unprotective ways. Always wore them under my shoulder pads (still rocking the thin Coopers). I now have Mission M2 (iirc) pants and they fit snug, never rotate out of position, and have a few features making securing them a breeze. I will never go back to suspenders, or Cooperalls *shuders*

Yup. http://hockeystickexpert.com/hockey-stick-lie-better-puck-control/

Their advice at the end is pretty good: if your tape is wearing unevenly on your stick, your lie is almost definitely hosed up, but don't assume that even wear means you're good. Lie adjusts a lot of people's posture.

I used to like a stick with a lower lie for a tight stance fighting in the corners, but since I started coaching, I'm almost always standing up straight, and am really trying to adjust to a higher lie. My instincts haven't completely forgiven me yet, but at least I'm not moving up and down like a Catholic Mass any more.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

PFlats posted:

Yup. http://hockeystickexpert.com/hockey-stick-lie-better-puck-control/

Their advice at the end is pretty good: if your tape is wearing unevenly on your stick, your lie is almost definitely hosed up, but don't assume that even wear means you're good. Lie adjusts a lot of people's posture.

I used to like a stick with a lower lie for a tight stance fighting in the corners, but since I started coaching, I'm almost always standing up straight, and am really trying to adjust to a higher lie. My instincts haven't completely forgiven me yet, but at least I'm not moving up and down like a Catholic Mass any more.

Heel wear, and I do skate lower to the ground. I'll have to take a look at a lower lie then.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The lie could be fine, it could also be that the stick is too long.

The rule of thumb I've heard is that when you're on skates, hold the stick with your top hand and let it dangle at your side. The blade of the stick should be flat on the ice.

If you enjoy more reach, it's an indication you want to change your lie.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
I get a longer stick for defense, as well as admittedly rely on the extra length to get more leverage power on shots, because I sure as poo poo don't have actual strength to shoot the puck.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I just got an email from our local rat meetup group for an outdoor skate at Soldier field and there isn't even a winter classic here this year.

$600

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, they're doing another series of college games there this year.

$600 is per team.. right? :ohdear:

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

xzzy posted:

Yeah, they're doing another series of college games there this year.

$600 is per team.. right? :ohdear:

They are doing college games again, but I think the $600 is to just participate in a drop in game where you get some special socks and a jersey while getting to skate on the outdoor ice.

I'll pass.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah that's absurd.

You can rent the ice after a Wolves game for about $100 a skater.. you get a ticket to the game, a jersey, and they run the scoreboard for your game. $100 is almost too much already, but at least it's within reach of mortals.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

It's 180 or so for Staples. 2 100 level tickets, 1 player skates in the pre or post game drop in game.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

$30 at the Stockton Thunder arena, plus you get 2 tickets for that nights game. The past few times they've even had a pair of commentators in training who would provide color for the game then post it online afterward. Baller deal.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

sellouts posted:

It's 180 or so for Staples. 2 100 level tickets, 1 player skates in the pre or post game drop in game.

That's not a bad deal though, because those tickets to the game are about that much for 100 level.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

sellouts posted:

Do you have any more info about this? A buddy of mine is a big Sens fan so we go see Sens @ Kings together each year. We were doing some planning on Facebook and someone mentioned something about a pickup being played on the ice after the game. I'd love to hear your experience if you've done it.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

$30 at the Stockton Thunder arena, plus you get 2 tickets for that nights game. The past few times they've even had a pair of commentators in training who would provide color for the game then post it online afterward. Baller deal.

That sounds great.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
The Preds put on a pickup at Bridgestone Arena on off nights semi-frequently. $15 a person and includes a beer after.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Thufir posted:

The Preds put on a pickup at Bridgestone Arena on off nights semi-frequently. $15 a person and includes a beer after.

WTF I pay $17 to play at 1040pm at the shittiest rink in the area and they don't even give you enough time to drink a beer before they shut the lights off.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Teeter posted:

Do you have any more info about this? A buddy of mine is a big Sens fan so we go see Sens @ Kings together each year. We were doing some planning on Facebook and someone mentioned something about a pickup being played on the ice after the game. I'd love to hear your experience if you've done it.

There are anywhere between 1-3 ice times around games depending on the schedule of the building. If it's an afternoon game with a Clips/Lakers game in the evening there may be 0 as they gotta turn it over. Some ice times are before the game, some are after.

The Kings sales reps/community reps/whatever will go out to adult teams, youth teams, whoever and find someone to buy ~40 tickets in either the 100s levels or, a suite or sometimes 200 level tickets if available and give them the ice time. So you have to buy the tickets to lock in the ice time in a bunch. So the organizer is out like ~3.5k or so up front, depending on everything. As an organizer you need to be sure you can move the tickets or else it's gonna be ugly.

These usually get set up very early in the season but I've never done it as an individual so you might be able to call a hockey development person to see who has the game you're interested in and if they have extra spots. I can PM you a few Kings employees from previous skates that you can try if you're desperate. They won't know me and I can't speak to them still working there but it's a lead. Anyways, I've played in pickups there that are beginners and some that are with gold level players so it all depends on the group that comes. They don't care what the level is. So if you do get hooked up with an unknown group you'll probably want to find out the level. One skate did have a random show up who was an rear end in a top hat and he was removed by the organizer. So make sure you fit the vibe.

On ice officials are not provided and you get 1hr of time. They run the clock and do the scoreboard. So usually ends up being like 20:20:14 periods given a warmup with a 1 min break between periods. They're also good with letting you take pics and stuff after the game. Fans can stay late or come early and watch the game from the lower bowl. You change right outside of the zambonis in a curtained off temporary locker room (curtains + folding chairs), so you won't be getting close to anything either team would be using. You can use the officials locker room for showers afterwards.

For a 7:30pm start where you skate before the game. You usually need to arrive at 2:00pm for a 3:00pm start. Skate until 4pm and you'll be removed from the building by 4:45pm. Bring everything you want out there (water, tape, cell phone/camera, whatever you need) as you're pretty far away from where you change. Plenty of time to change and shower afterwards, drop your gear in the car, and grab food/beers before the start of the game.

For an after game skate you'll need to drop your gear off before the game at the determined spot. You can't go and get it later. So usually it's by 7pm or so to get all of the gear. You're then given a wristband, watch the game, and with 10 min to go in the 3rd (sometimes earlier) you will be escorted down to the bowels of the arena to the temporary locker room to get changed. You will miss the end of the game, you will miss overtime, shootout, whatever. You will struggle to watch the game and the second the zambonis come off at the end of the game you'll be on the ice.

My only advice would be to do the before game skate if at all possible. Before game, the ice is pristine. It is fast, it is clear, it is cold. After games, the ice is chewed up to poo poo, they turn down the AC and you miss up to 20% of the game that you paid for. It sucks, and I won't do it. It's worth taking a half day off of work to do the earlier skate.

Anything else I can help with, let me know. It really is a lot of fun for people of all skill levels.

(second piece of advice is to make sure you've got someone who knows how to take a photo taking photos if you care) The guy taking the second photos couldn't get the banners right)

sellouts fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jan 30, 2015

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

dat jersey tho

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

sellouts posted:

:words:

(second piece of advice is to make sure you've got someone who knows how to take a photo taking photos if you care) The guy taking the second photos couldn't get the banners right)

Awesome! This is a ton of helpful info, thanks.

I was mainly just curious because a friend of a friend commented on our Facebook thread about a pickup game for the particular date we plan on going, so I take it either he or someone he knows is organizing the group for this game. I had no clue how it was done but this is reassuring because I'm total garbage at hockey yet could probably pull it off some time soon if could finagle my way into the right group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Dude it doesn't matter. Look at the age of the people in the background of the second picture. That group was old as poo poo and not very good. As long as the group you are going with is cool you'll be fine. It is very much about getting excited about playing hockey in a huge arena which is applicable to anyone with a soul.

Your skill does not matter and I can tell you I set up one of the worst players for a goal and it looked like it made his year. And we're both adults. So it's a fun time to do at any point.