Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
spooky evil money whooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

boom boom boom posted:

How is he evil?

Apparently, he has a fan base that's willing to fund his dumb game. This enrages some goons in this thread for some reason.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

boom boom boom posted:

How is he evil?

Evil was a bad description. Heartless is a better term. He is actually a good artist. But the oatmeal isn't a product of love and effort. It is a the product of mass production and great marketing. Even if I could pump out social media click bait, I couldn't market as well as the oatmeal.

I'm not mad at him. I'm just saying that even if I sold out, it wouldn't be nearly as successful as:

And neither will any of you.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

We live in a world where the sequel to the funniest game ever made didn't hit 200k but a bad card game based on a bad comic hit 2 million in a day. Alas.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
Those guys are basically living the dream of virtually everyone who works in a creative field: to make bank off some dumb, low-effort thing that they can then cruise on for the rest of their life. I can respect the fact that it happened to them and hope that one day it happens to me.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

We live in a world where the sequel to the funniest game ever made didn't hit 200k

What game's this?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Julie Uhrman apparently just got another 10 million in funding for the OUYA from Alibabha. I don't think anyone else on Kickstarter has ppulled off that level of success with failure, except maybe Chris Roberts.

(Oculus is excluded as well because it's basically got a lot of companies chomping at VR now like they were for 3D TV a few years ago and the current headset's pretty drat cool)

flosofl posted:

Apparently, he has a fan base that's willing to fund his dumb game. This enrages some goons in this thread for some reason.

So were goons all pissed off like this when Penny Arcade or Order of the Stick did their kickstarters?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Evil Fluffy posted:

Julie Uhrman apparently just got another 10 million in funding for the OUYA from Alibabha. I don't think anyone else on Kickstarter has ppulled off that level of success with failure, except maybe Chris Roberts.

(Oculus is excluded as well because it's basically got a lot of companies chomping at VR now like they were for 3D TV a few years ago and the current headset's pretty drat cool)

So were goons all pissed off like this when Penny Arcade or Order of the Stick did their kickstarters?

No idea, but smart money is on yes. These kind of forums are fairly predictable about that kind of thing.

Personally, I'd rather see and make fun of teenagers trying get money for a car, or a pipe-cleaner rebranded as Urethra-Cleanse or something like that.

Proteus Jones has a new favorite as of 00:34 on Jan 31, 2015

anticake
Nov 5, 2004

Biscuit Hider

Evil Fluffy posted:

Yes. They also got bent out of shape about Penny Arcade's podcast or whatever having a goal of :10bux:

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Evil Fluffy posted:

Penny Arcade was a definite yes, but I don't even remember if they had a product for that one, so maybe The Oatmeal has one up on them. I think one of the higher tiers was for an unpaid internship at Penny Arcade.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

FirstAidKite posted:

What game's this?

lol you had to ask this.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

lol you had to ask this.

Well yeah, you didn't say the name and there are tons of funny games out there that I've probably never heard of

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
the Penny Arcade ones were really funny because they led the :goonsay: brigade against Anita Sarkeesian "abusing" kickstarter and then they turned around and did two campaigns that explicitly broke KS's rules

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

FirstAidKite posted:

Well yeah, you didn't say the name and there are tons of funny games out there that I've probably never heard of

Barkley 2 is the sequel I speak of. There are very very very few legitimately funny games.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Do we think people who win lotteries are evil or lazy or what? Trying to stay calibrated.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Yeah, the Penny Arcade $1 Kickstarter was pretty awful.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

The PA one absolutely, although that was partly because their Kickstarter amounted to "give us money to do what we're already doing and we'll give you what we're already giving you idiots." At least the dumb card game is a thing and the whole project is slightly more than zero effort.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
PA only raised $500K but they did let two people work with them for a day for $7K and had lunch with someone for $8K so they get high marks for effort.

It's still not as good as $5 million for 10 minutes of game design and some lovely art.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Fun fact about the Exploding Kittens kickstarter; if you add up all the backers at each reward tier, it's about 500 short of the total number of backers. 500 people, which is way more than most kickstarters get, are just giving those guys money in return for nothing.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

TetsuoTW posted:

The PA one absolutely, although that was partly because their Kickstarter amounted to "give us money to do what we're already doing and we'll give you what we're already giving you idiots." At least the dumb card game is a thing and the whole project is slightly more than zero effort.

It doesn't help that PA brags about underpaying their staff, who they say should just be grateful they "get to" work at PA 80 hours a week for peanuts.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Evil Fluffy posted:

wait, like... recently?

i thought the ouya was dead dead dead

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Bubble-T posted:

let two people work with them for a day for $7K

Wait, they paid 7K to work for PA for a day? :psyduck:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

boom boom boom posted:

Fun fact about the Exploding Kittens kickstarter; if you add up all the backers at each reward tier, it's about 500 short of the total number of backers. 500 people, which is way more than most kickstarters get, are just giving those guys money in return for nothing.

Don't some people have to contribute more due to shipping?

Otisburg posted:

wait, like... recently?

i thought the ouya was dead dead dead

I think the post/article in the OUYA thread is only a day or so old, but yeah it's apparently a recent thing.

ThaShaneTrain
Jan 2, 2009

pure mindless vandalism
:smuggo:
Why they gotta be Black Blocks huh?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

ThaShaneTrain posted:

Why they gotta be Black Blocks huh?

I'm going to invite all my black coworkers to play this game. That's how they will now I'm not racist.

E: Seriously, though, it looks like this game has very little replayability and might not be actually fun to play at all. Which, I suppose, is alright for a game like that, but then it's more of a social commentary piece of interactive art than an actual game.

Paladinus has a new favorite as of 08:59 on Jan 31, 2015

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Evil Fluffy posted:

Don't some people have to contribute more due to shipping?

What the gently caress does that have to do with the number of people who have backed each tier?

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

Jedit posted:

What the gently caress does that have to do with the number of people who have backed each tier?

My guess is they didn't notice it was about the number of pledges being above the number of claimed perks, and thought the discussion was still about the amounts like one page ago where the average pledge amount is also way above what is necessary.

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster

Groovelord Neato posted:

Barkley 2 is the sequel I speak of. There are very very very few legitimately funny games.

lol you think you are such a well known and respected arbiter of funny games that you think your opinion about a game should be synonymous with the game's name to such a degree you lol when people ask what the hell you're talking about.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
If it was $7K for child's play I would understand it, but $7K paid to a business to hang out with the fat bald guy and the skinny bitch guy that run that business for a day? Okay, where do I sign up?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

boom boom boom posted:

Naw, the highest remaining pledge reward has a "Pay double and we'll send you twice as many card decks!" option, there'd be a bunch of extra cash going into that and throwing off the numbers.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
I think the oatmeal is really really tryhard but occasionally a bit funny? Am I allowed to have a mildly negative opinion of it, or must I hate it more than life itself?

Asking for a friend.

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:

theflyingorc posted:

I think the oatmeal is really really tryhard but occasionally a bit funny? Am I allowed to have a mildly negative opinion of it, or must I hate it more than life itself?

Asking for a friend.

if you haven't set a cat on fire out of pure, white hot rage by now, then you're doing something wrong.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Naw, the highest remaining pledge reward has a "Pay double and we'll send you twice as many card decks!" option, there'd be a bunch of extra cash going into that and throwing off the numbers.

What does that have to do with the number of backers?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

lorn Wayne posted:

if you haven't set a cat on fire out of pure, white hot rage by now, then you're doing something wrong.

If you have set a cat on fire out of pure white hot rage, then you're probably playing their game and thus are doing it even more wrong.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The Snark posted:

lol you think you are such a well known and respected arbiter of funny games that you think your opinion about a game should be synonymous with the game's name to such a degree you lol when people ask what the hell you're talking about.

Pardon.

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster

Go forth and derp no more my bro Sist fellow hum person. In the name of the High Skeleton, I pardon thee.
#skeletontriggerwarning #religiontriggerwarning #fullofcraptriggerwarning

The Snark has a new favorite as of 00:10 on Feb 1, 2015

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I think I would actually buy something like this. Little better design, perhaps something to attach to a wall.

The Main Drain - Attachable Urinal https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1678731377/the-main-drain-attachable-urinal

ThaShaneTrain
Jan 2, 2009

pure mindless vandalism
:smuggo:

TraderStav posted:

I think I would actually buy something like this. Little better design, perhaps something to attach to a wall.

The Main Drain - Attachable Urinal https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1678731377/the-main-drain-attachable-urinal

Finally a tube that is attached to my toilet that reeks of piss.

edit: I forgot you can just pour some of your beer down it when you finish, nevermind.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

TraderStav posted:

Just learn to put the seat down after you're done or learn how to piss sitting down.

Of course, I'm biased because I really want more gender-neutral bathrooms because when I need to take a dump, there's never enough toilets and way too many urinals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Young Freud posted:

Of course, I'm biased because I really want more gender-neutral bathrooms because when I need to take a dump, there's never enough toilets and way too many urinals.

That's the real genius of the Main Drain - you can take a poo poo while someone else has a piss at the same time! It doubles the utility of your toilet!
(You may get a small amount of piss splashed onto your face)

boom boom boom posted:

What does that have to do with the number of backers?

That'd be the "if you add up all the backers at each reward tier, it's about 500 short of the total number of backers" part of your earlier post. Many backers are paying double on one of the tiers (for double the reward) so that explains the 500 'missing' backers. People aren't just giving them money for nothing.

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 08:41 on Feb 1, 2015