Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
Also they probably said "Hey we've got this new model so you're adding a winged elf." because that's how GW rolls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

I used to be a massive 40k nut but now I'm having trouble getting back into the books. Apart from HH and the long running series like Gaunts Ghosts, could someone recommend a recent 40K book to dive back into? I've heard some good things about Ahriman and in general I like the Guardsman books but they were really very different from each other.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Baka-nin posted:

I used to be a massive 40k nut but now I'm having trouble getting back into the books. Apart from HH and the long running series like Gaunts Ghosts, could someone recommend a recent 40K book to dive back into? I've heard some good things about Ahriman and in general I like the Guardsman books but they were really very different from each other.

Night Lords trilogy, or really anything by Aaron Dembski-Bowden if you stopped reading before he joined BL.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Night Lords trilogy, or really anything by Aaron Dembski-Bowden if you stopped reading before he joined BL.

Thanks but I already read them, I had the old Night Lords book (Lord of the Night?) so I grabbed the first ADB book when it came out, then grabbed the others. I dropped out of the books about a year ago if that helps narrow it down. Has anything really popular come out since then?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Baka-nin posted:

Thanks but I already read them, I had the old Night Lords book (Lord of the Night?) so I grabbed the first ADB book when it came out, then grabbed the others. I dropped out of the books about a year ago if that helps narrow it down. Has anything really popular come out since then?

Blood of Asaheim/Stormcaller by Chris Wraight, Ahriman: Exile/Sorcerer by John French. People also seemed to like the Mechanicus trilogy that Graham McNeill just finished, though I haven't read it. If you haven't read Helsreach and The Emperor's Gift by ADB, they're both great.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Baka-nin posted:

Adbs Imperial Guard book was pretty decent. I liked the book Fire Caste too

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Blood of Asaheim/Stormcaller by Chris Wraight, Ahriman: Exile/Sorcerer by John French. People also seemed to like the Mechanicus trilogy that Graham McNeill just finished, though I haven't read it. If you haven't read Helsreach and The Emperor's Gift by ADB, they're both great.

Thank you, I guess I will check out Ahriman, been meaning to but was hesitating. I liked the bits about the cog boys in other books and McNeil has written some of my favourite stories* so that should be an interesting read.

*Though he has written some mediocre ones as well.

Mange Mite posted:

Adbs Imperial Guard book was pretty decent. I liked the book Fire Caste too

Fire Caste was great, I read it while donating bone marrow, I won't say it made the time fly because I was strapped to a big noisy machine and I had to read one handed but it did entertain me a lot better then day time telly.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Didn't care for the French novels, seconding Wraights Space Wolves books. Haven't read the Mechanicus trilogy.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Black Library posted:

Introducing your new favourite Space Marine Chapter
The Dark Hunters might not currently be as famous as Chapters like the Blood Angels and Black Templars, but they are about to be.

Next week we release the first ever novel starring the Dark Hunters Space Marines: Umbra Sumus, so today we find out more about this mysterious Chapter.

http://www.blacklibrary.com/new-at-bl/meet-your-new-favourite-space-marine-chapter.html

Feels like they're pushing this author I've never heard of pretty drat hard.

I guess if you like Space Marines this could be your things. v:v:v

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

holy poo poo i cant wait to find out about these guys

just their name alone screams awesome

:rock: THE DARK HUNTERS :rock:

i'll get over the dumb name if this new guy is any good. Looks like he has a pretty big background of fantasy books

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Jerkface posted:

holy poo poo i cant wait to find out about these guys

just their name alone screams awesome

:rock: THE DARK HUNTERS :rock:

i'll get over the dumb name if this new guy is any good. Looks like he has a pretty big background of fantasy books

He wrote a few short stories with them. They were alright

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Jerkface posted:

:black101: THE DARK HUNTERS :black101:
Fixed that for you - they favor axes. POWER AXES! :screeching guitar riff:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Cooked Auto posted:

http://www.blacklibrary.com/new-at-bl/meet-your-new-favourite-space-marine-chapter.html

Feels like they're pushing this author I've never heard of pretty drat hard.

I guess if you like Space Marines this could be your things. v:v:v

I read that as Umbra Samus and now I'm disappointed that it isn't a metroid crossover

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Where were these Dark Hunter short stories? Anyone else feel like Black Library releases waaaaay too many tiny ebooks? Also they are too expensive.

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

Intergalactic, all-planetary, everything super-supreme champion

Baka-nin posted:

I liked that Commissar book that came out last year. All Guard book.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Jerkface posted:

Where were these Dark Hunter short stories? Anyone else feel like Black Library releases waaaaay too many tiny ebooks? Also they are too expensive.

They canned the Hammer & Bolter monthly digital anthology because they realized that they could make a shitload more money by releasing everything as overpriced individual stories. It's also bullshit that they mark something as an ebook when it is, in fact, a digital short story. With their pricing scheme, you can't tell if something is five pages or a hundred pages. And yes, everything they are doing lately is too expensive.

Also, I'm currently reading "The Inheritor King" from the Sabbat Crusade book - I know some of you guys like Matt Farrer and his Calpurnia books, but dear God, this is a terribly slow story. It is, by far, the longest in the collection, and I've been trying to get through it for days now - every time I get a few pages in, I find something else I need to do and set it aside.

Baka-nin posted:

Have you read Priests of Mars (though that came out a while ago.) There have been tons of releases, but not that much quality stuff - you haven't missed that much except maybe Talon of Horus. You might have better luck going through the BL new releases page and seeing if anything catches your eye, then asking whether it is worth reading - there is just so much crap (quality and quantity) BL is releasing nowadays.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jan 29, 2015

Alfredo Pangea
Aug 20, 2007

In Pangea, first you get the head, Then you get the money.

Baka-nin posted:

Thank you, I guess I will check out Ahriman

Ahriman, the first two books so far are defianately good but I would push "The Talon of Horus' more as i found it wayyyyy better. The only bad part is it is the first in a series I will love but have to wait years for it to move forward.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Peztopiary posted:

Also they probably said "Hey we've got this new model so you're adding a winged elf." because that's how GW rolls.

I'm not into the tabletop game so I didn't pick up on that at all. I thought she was included deliberately to give the protagonist, whatever he was called, a weird retinue. Ignorance is bliss.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My other, other car is a centipede filled with vaginas.

Alfredo Pangea posted:

Ahriman, the first two books so far are defianately good but I would push "The Talon of Horus' more as i found it wayyyyy better. The only bad part is it is the first in a series I will love but have to wait years for it to move forward.

I'm kinda the opposite. Abaddon in Talon was amazing, totally made me like him- going from a 1 dimensional mustache twirling failure to someone really awesome. By the end, I was a bit blah with everyone else. Khayon seemed a bit too comic book with his powers at times. He was interesting but still really didn't click with me. His bird lady was annoying and downright bad in parts. "I love you most when you kill for me" reeeallllllyyyy? Eeesh.

The first Ahriman book was good, kinda setting stuff up and getting you where you need to be. Sorcerer was wild and one of the best BL books I've read in a while. Reading it while I was also finishing up Stormcaller was interesting because of the how well the difference between "modern" Wolves and some utterly hosed and damned 13th Company dudes was shown.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

berzerkmonkey posted:

Have you read Priests of Mars (though that came out a while ago.) There have been tons of releases, but not that much quality stuff - you haven't missed that much except maybe Talon of Horus. You might have better luck going through the BL new releases page and seeing if anything catches your eye, then asking whether it is worth reading - there is just so much crap (quality and quantity) BL is releasing nowadays.

I took another look at the website and Jesus you weren't kidding, its completely swamped. The only book I was able to find that looked pretty interesting was Pandorax, is that any good? The extract looks interesting. I don't believe I've read Priest of Mars and the website just lists an ebook version, I'm assuming they're not stocking the paperback on the site anymore since I'm sure I've seen it on a bookshelf.

And speaking of ebooks what's up with these prices? I know Games Workshop are no strangers to rip offs but £14.99 when the actual book is £15.00 what a bargain.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

berzerkmonkey posted:

They canned the Hammer & Bolter monthly digital anthology because they realized that they could make a shitload more money by releasing everything as overpriced individual stories. It's also bullshit that they mark something as an ebook when it is, in fact, a digital short story. With their pricing scheme, you can't tell if something is five pages or a hundred pages. And yes, everything they are doing lately is too expensive.

So much truth here. The most infuriating part is when you buy a novella/book/whatever and its 20 pages long. It's seriously put me off buying more novels from them.

quote:

Also, I'm currently reading "The Inheritor King" from the Sabbat Crusade book - I know some of you guys like Matt Farrer and his Calpurnia books, but dear God, this is a terribly slow story. It is, by far, the longest in the collection, and I've been trying to get through it for days now - every time I get a few pages in, I find something else I need to do and set it aside.

It gets much better. I think it was the best story in the bunch. Fwiw, I really enjoyed it.

Alfredo Pangea
Aug 20, 2007

In Pangea, first you get the head, Then you get the money.

Lincoln`s Wax posted:

His bird lady was annoying and downright bad in parts. "I love you most when you kill for me" reeeallllllyyyy? Eeesh.

Oh she was horrid, I truthfully removed her from my memory totally, My love of Chaos made the rest outshine that. As for him he was overpowered, but he is supposed to be the top chaos sorcerer of the new leader of all chaos forces at this point basicly. They had to make him seem like practicaly a demi-god. I am sure the future books will show him meeting bigger challenges.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Baka-nin posted:

I took another look at the website and Jesus you weren't kidding, its completely swamped. The only book I was able to find that looked pretty interesting was Pandorax, is that any good? The extract looks interesting. I don't believe I've read Priest of Mars and the website just lists an ebook version, I'm assuming they're not stocking the paperback on the site anymore since I'm sure I've seen it on a bookshelf.
Yeah, they went crazy with releases this last year. I haven't read it yet, but from what I hear, Pandorax was pretty mediocre. Priests was in print, but they rotate stuff out - I'm sure they will re-release it with an increased price.

Baka-nin posted:

And speaking of ebooks what's up with these prices? I know Games Workshop are no strangers to rip offs but £14.99 when the actual book is £15.00 what a bargain.
My theory: GW is jacking us nerds over for all they possibly can. If it works for the tabletop, why not novels?; With their recent decrease in profit, they are looking to cut cost and increase profitability - charging the same (or more) than an actual paper book just increases their profit margin. Even better, with the ebooks, GW doesn't have to worry about stock, printing costs, shelf space, or Amazon competing with pricing.

(Related: it's pretty much understood that a publisher will make the same profit -roughly $6 - from a $26 print novel as a $12.99 ebook. If GW charges the same $26 for an ebook as they do the print version, they increase their profit to $19. Pure profit, baby!)

GW is really pushing, and I don't know if the community is really pushing back at this point. I'd say that there will eventually come a tipping point where people will get fed up and quit, but, as the tabletop shows, people are still willing to pay high prices.

Shroud posted:

It gets much better. I think it was the best story in the bunch. Fwiw, I really enjoyed it.
That's good to hear - I'm sticking with it, but, man, it's tough right now.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Hoo boy, the DARK HUNTERS. It's so original it could be a 10th grade garage band.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

berzerkmonkey posted:

GW is really pushing, and I don't know if the community is really pushing back at this point. I'd say that there will eventually come a tipping point where people will get fed up and quit, but, as the tabletop shows, people are still willing to pay high prices.
They had to close one of the two stores here, and they seem to be dropping them all over the UK and scaling back to one-man shows as much as possible. Even the GW section of my FLGS that built it's rep and customer base on "cheap GW poo poo" is slowly being taken over by X-wing and board games. I suspect the band-aid strategies that they've employed thus far are soon to fail.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Jerkface posted:

I looked it up anda pparentlys seomebody has cataloged every single BL short story. Their loss is your gain, I guess.

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/The_Last_Detail_%28Short_Story%29#The_Last_Detail

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Arquinsiel posted:

They had to close one of the two stores here, and they seem to be dropping them all over the UK and scaling back to one-man shows as much as possible. Even the GW section of my FLGS that built it's rep and customer base on "cheap GW poo poo" is slowly being taken over by X-wing and board games. I suspect the band-aid strategies that they've employed thus far are soon to fail.

I've noticed the same in Canada too. My city used to have two stores in malls with battle bunkers. It's shrunken to a tiny store wiht like two tables in a strip mall now. As well, every FLGS has cut down GW products too.

CaptainAttitude
May 31, 2003

This haircut was a good idea.
I'm starting Space Marine tonight. I started with Eisenhorn 10 years ago and haven't read anything earlier than the first Gaunts Ghosts omnibus so this should be interesting.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

CaptainAttitude posted:

I'm starting Space Marine tonight. I started with Eisenhorn 10 years ago and haven't read anything earlier than the first Gaunts Ghosts omnibus so this should be interesting.

its a hell of a read, but super dated. for more recent poo poo i would recommend

Horus Rising
Night Lords
Helsreach
Ahriman Exile
Blood of Aseinhim (spelling is hard)

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

bunnyofdoom posted:

I've noticed the same in Canada too. My city used to have two stores in malls with battle bunkers. It's shrunken to a tiny store wiht like two tables in a strip mall now. As well, every FLGS has cut down GW products too.

My FLGS in Ontario still gets new GW releases but they don't do 40k game nights anymore because all of their 40k regulars play Warmachine/Hoards now

CaptainAttitude
May 31, 2003

This haircut was a good idea.

Waroduce posted:

its a hell of a read, but super dated. for more recent poo poo i would recommend

Horus Rising
Night Lords
Helsreach
Ahriman Exile
Blood of Aseinhim (spelling is hard)

I've read them all but blood of Asaheim. I was about to buy that but I still just kinda don't like the Space Wolves. The way they're portrayed in the HH novels and in Ahriman: Sorcerer books is slowly changing that, though. I'll probably pick it up next

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
Have you read Emperor's Gift? That's a pretty good portrayal of Space Wolves, if you ask me.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Baka-nin posted:

Fire Caste was great, I read it while donating bone marrow, I won't say it made the time fly because I was strapped to a big noisy machine and I had to read one handed but it did entertain me a lot better then day time telly.
It's strange to see praise for it. I didn't care much for it at all. I found all the characters boring, terminally unlikable or completely incompetent. A shame too, because I like the premise on paper.

Deptfordx posted:

Haven't read the Mechanicus trilogy.
Personally I think that it's some of McNeill's best work, second only to Storm of Iron. He's odd like that; he's written some fantastic books easily on the level of Abnett and ADB, but also some extremely generic and totally forgettable bolter porn.
Haven't read anything by him that I consider aggressively bad though, so that's something.

berzerkmonkey posted:

I have the Calpurnia omnibus, and as a whole I loved it, but like 80% of the first book was just a slog.

Oh, and people remember to look on Amazon for books that appear out of print. Even if the book in question is on the BL site, in my experience Amazon is usually cheaper, and you don't have to slog through the clusterfuck that is the BL site.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

CaptainAttitude posted:

I've read them all but blood of Asaheim. I was about to buy that but I still just kinda don't like the Space Wolves. The way they're portrayed in the HH novels and in Ahriman: Sorcerer books is slowly changing that, though. I'll probably pick it up next

Blood of Asaheim is really good - and it makes the Wolves seem more than just 'Rarr Vikings.' You've got a small squad of Wolves with one dude returning from the Deathwatch and some old grumpy fuckers and a new kid with attitude. It deals with the limitations of the Wolves way of doing things, as well as the benefits. Plus they go up against Plague Marines that have actual character to them.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Groetgaffel posted:

Personally I think that it's some of McNeill's best work, second only to Storm of Iron. He's odd like that; he's written some fantastic books easily on the level of Abnett and ADB, but also some extremely generic and totally forgettable bolter porn.
Haven't read anything by him that I consider aggressively bad though, so that's something.

False Gods, the second HH book.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Most of his Ultramarines books are pretty terrible. His prose in general id say is below even the BL average

Groetgaffel posted:

It's strange to see praise for it. I didn't care much for it at all. I found all the characters boring, terminally unlikable or completely incompetent. A shame too, because I like the premise on paper.

Its a pretty good book - the prose is a cut above most bl writers and very atmospheric. I thought the characters were all quite well done, all doomed in their own fatal ways. It's not supposed to be a rousing adventure like your typical bolter porn. A strong first novel for genre writing.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jan 31, 2015

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Khizan posted:

I didnt think it was that bad, I mean it wasnt good by any means but I enjoyed the plot. It wasnt like....henry zhou levels of terrible n poo poo

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
It was really, really bad. Bad enough that I would rather reread book 3 than book 2. I'd rather reread loving third tier dragonlance books (looking at you, Fistandantilus Reborn). It really is that bad.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

drgnvale posted:

It was really, really bad. Bad enough that I would rather reread book 3 than book 2. I'd rather reread loving third tier dragonlance books (looking at you, Fistandantilus Reborn). It really is that bad.

Raistlin is my homeboy

I read all that poo poo

I really didnt think 2 was terribad, but I havent read it in some time. Hmmm new thing to do in the sauna now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Khizan posted:

I recently read it, and it wasn't that bad honestly. Is there something I'm missing?