Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Wade Wilson posted:

I don't understand how Morlun is still around. I thought he got eaten years ago when The Other happened.

Apparently they can respawn via cloning.

Yes, that's right, cloning.

:suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

TwoPair posted:

Too Many Spider-Men.

It takes a lot to save the day
Like spider versions of Gwen and May
A black teen swinging through New York
A scoop of clones and a guy who's pork
And you got

Too Many Webs! (Too Many Webs!)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Gavok posted:

It takes a lot to save the day
Like spider versions of Gwen and May
A black teen swinging through New York
A scoop of clones and a guy who's pork
And you got

Wait, wouldn't that make Morlun.... oh dear.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yvonmukluk posted:

Apparently they can respawn via cloning.

Yes, that's right, cloning.

:suicide:

So Morlun is a cylon?

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Wade Wilson posted:

I don't understand how Morlun is still around. I thought he got eaten years ago when The Other happened.

Well, as good a time as any to do a recap.

Originally he was a sort of mystical villain dude from Earth (regular 616 Earth, I mean) who had his eye on Spider-Man because draining animal-totem-people of their life force was his favourite snack. On the way to New York (by boat, not interdimensional portal) he was using an eagle-powered German superhero to keep him going. He winds up going after Spider-Man but because Spider-Man got his powers from a radioactive spider, Pete had the brilliant idea of going to a nuclear power plant and injecting his veins with radioactive material. So instead of being a "pure source" of delicious spidery goodness, he was horribly tainted with artificial sweeteners and additives, which made Morlun wither into a husk. Then he got shot by his long-suffering human personal assistant/slave, and that was that.

Then he came back, because a true villain never dies, when the Other storyline was meandering along and in need of something interesting to happen before it all got retconned away. So he showed up, menaced briefly, and then died again (as you mentioned). Even so he was still the same sort of magic dude that he had been before, so that was a reasonable enough explanation for why he'd come back. Magic is as magic does, there must always be a dude eating animal-themed superheroes I guess.

It wasn't until the Spider-Verse thing started that Slott completely rewrote Morlun into being part of an interdimensional family of big game hunters who rule their homeworld ("Earth 0", really?) and only eat Spider-Men because reasons. Also all their clone bodies are made using the same sort of technology that made Ben Reilly because reasons.

I don't mind Slott's writing usually, at least for the most part, and there have been moments in Spider-Verse I've liked... but the Morlun (and family) stuff has been pretty craptacular.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Lurdiak posted:

Mechanical Organic Robots Lurking Under Nightfall.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
All the best bits of Spider-Verse are the bits that have nothing to do with the Inheritors.

Except for the Newspaper Comic section. That was gold.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

Nah, that's Dan Slott.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

WickedHate posted:

Nah, that's Dan Slott.

I can see the resemblence.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Fuego Fish posted:

Well, as good a time as any to do a recap.

Originally he was a sort of mystical villain dude from Earth (regular 616 Earth, I mean) who had his eye on Spider-Man because draining animal-totem-people of their life force was his favourite snack. On the way to New York (by boat, not interdimensional portal) he was using an eagle-powered German superhero to keep him going. He winds up going after Spider-Man but because Spider-Man got his powers from a radioactive spider, Pete had the brilliant idea of going to a nuclear power plant and injecting his veins with radioactive material. So instead of being a "pure source" of delicious spidery goodness, he was horribly tainted with artificial sweeteners and additives, which made Morlun wither into a husk. Then he got shot by his long-suffering human personal assistant/slave, and that was that.

Then he came back, because a true villain never dies, when the Other storyline was meandering along and in need of something interesting to happen before it all got retconned away. So he showed up, menaced briefly, and then died again (as you mentioned). Even so he was still the same sort of magic dude that he had been before, so that was a reasonable enough explanation for why he'd come back. Magic is as magic does, there must always be a dude eating animal-themed superheroes I guess.

It wasn't until the Spider-Verse thing started that Slott completely rewrote Morlun into being part of an interdimensional family of big game hunters who rule their homeworld ("Earth 0", really?) and only eat Spider-Men because reasons. Also all their clone bodies are made using the same sort of technology that made Ben Reilly because reasons.

I don't mind Slott's writing usually, at least for the most part, and there have been moments in Spider-Verse I've liked... but the Morlun (and family) stuff has been pretty craptacular.

He also came back to try and eat Black Panther.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yvonmukluk posted:

He also came back to try and eat Black Panther.

He got Man-Ape, but he's fine now.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
So... what are the Inheritors supposed to inherit?

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Soonmot posted:

So... what are the Inheritors supposed to inherit?

The Parker Luck, judging by how many times they're getting chumped in this crossover.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Fuego Fish posted:

The Parker Luck, judging by how many times they're getting chumped in this crossover.

What, you mean your Big Bad shouldn't be getting fooled by his supposed concubine going "Oooh, I have a tummyache!"?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Fuego Fish posted:

I like how the difference between when they have and don't have their plot armour is so blatantly obvious.

With: Can take out Leopardon with little to no effort.
Without: Gets chumped by the Other in a single panel.
With: Can incapcitate the Other, again in a single panel.
Without: Gets gloriously smacked about by the Punisher with a baseball bat (and HATE, of course).

Christ, why did anyone think Dan Slott was a good idea as a writer for the flagship chatracter again?

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Yvonmukluk posted:

I like how the difference between when they have and don't have their plot armour is so blatantly obvious.

With: Can take out Leopardon with little to no effort.
Without: Gets chumped by the Other in a single panel.
With: Can incapcitate the Other, again in a single panel.
Without: Gets gloriously smacked about by the Punisher with a baseball bat (and HATE, of course).

Christ, why did anyone think Dan Slott was a good idea as a writer for the flagship chatracter again?

Probably the person who looks at sales figures. We may not like it, but spider-man hasn't stopped selling or anything.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Senor Candle posted:

Probably the person who looks at sales figures. We may not like it, but spider-man hasn't stopped selling or anything.

This would be true for literally any writer.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
If OMD and OMiT didn't kill Spider-Man sales I don't think Slott has anything to worry about.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
The only thing Slott is worried about is losing face when somebody else gets to captain the unsinkable ship and the numbers stay the same instead of drop off.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

One of the main reasons he's stayed on the book so long is that most people eventually get creatively frustrated having to write about the same guy for so long within so many set in stone parameters, but he just likes being "the guy who writes spider-man" so much he doesn't give a poo poo.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Probably why Bendis loves/loved USM so much, he can be the guy that writes Spidey, but without most of those rules. Hell, he somehow managed to make 'Gwen Stacy dates Peter Parker' seem out of character.

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

I saw this panel years ago (I think this was a batman comic) and some weedly guy is in prison/arkham and a zombie looking guy spits in his lunch. Weedy guy does a great spiel about how zombie guy has to trade lunches with him or he'll send him one of his kids fingers for the next ten years - does anybody know what I'm on about or was this just a dream?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Hulk Smash! posted:

Amazing Spider-Man 270

This can be said as cool-you don't get more 'underdog' than Spider-Man vs even a former Herald of Galactus.

It's also cited as an example of 'author's favourite wins' or something like that-since SPider-Man won that battle, which can be rightly said to be insane. Now, they did try to 'explain' it even then. He wasn't here for anything but a hot dog, so he wasn't fighting.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Well, it wasn't just Spidey punching the guy. He lured him into a building undergoing explosive demolition, had him run over by a subway train, and blew up a gas station he was in. Still, yeah, it's a "most popular character wins" moment for sure.

Hulk Smash! fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jan 31, 2015

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Old school Spidey defeated Dr. Doom, the entire X-men roster, and the FF. I'm not sure why defeating Fire..lord? is seen as excessive, unless you're going by late 80s and onwards Spidey power levels, which kept getting nerfed to the point that he fought Captain America one time and wasn't able to land a single punch.

My favorite thing about that fight is that the Avengers showed up afterwards and Spidey was like WHERE WERE YOU ASSHOLES!?!?!

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

Lurdiak posted:

Old school Spidey defeated Dr. Doom, the entire X-men roster, and the FF. I'm not sure why defeating Fire..lord? is seen as excessive,

Firelord is a former Herald of Galactus, so he's got access to the Power Cosmic and theoretically is much stronger than Doom/X-Men/the FF. It's like Spidey beating Silver Surfer or whatever.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Or Black Panther putting the Silver Surfer in a submission hold?

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Majuju posted:

Firelord is a former Herald of Galactus, so he's got access to the Power Cosmic and theoretically is much stronger than Doom/X-Men/the FF. It's like Spidey beating Silver Surfer or whatever.

Firelord and all the other heralds that came after Surfer have significantly less access to The Power Cosmic by design as Galactic didn't/doesn't trust them after Surfer's betrayal. They have even less then that once de-heralded.

Fact is all heralds except Silver Surfer are chumps even with The Power Cosmic and Spidey beat the chumpiest of them by the skin of his teeth.

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

Arctic Baldwin posted:

Or Black Panther putting the Silver Surfer in a submission hold?

This is badass, someone post this

e: I found it but not sure on the source

also the guy who wrote it had this to say:

quote:

Read the scene again and this time pay attention. The Surfer allowed the Panther to "restrain" him in the hope of finding out what the FF was up to. A panel later, the Surfer's assistant blasts the Panther unconscious. The Surfer is irritated because he wanted the Panther to talk, which he thought he might do if the Panther believed he had the upper hand. Most of the people who bitch about this have only seen a scan of one page, or have poor reading comprehension skills.

Majuju fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Feb 1, 2015

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The art conveys the scene as Surfer struggling to get free and needing to be rescued by his ally, though.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

And really, so does the writing because it's expecting the audience to be dumb as gently caress to believe what Panther's saying there, or even believe that he believes it and can be fooled by Surfer putting on a show.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
The black panther really is assuming a lot about the silver surfer's anatomy considering he's applying what's mostly a pain compliance hold (hammerlock) on someone that can take a punch from Galactus :v:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Also, attempting to put a guy in that submission hold at all who can fire blasts of lasers out of his hands.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Or teleport, or have his skin become sun-level hot, or intangible, or radiation/lava/mountain dew, or any other bullshit the writer feels the Power Cosmic can do.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Fraction later had him straight-up shapeshift in Defenders (not sure if he'd done it before), so it's not like he couldn't just make his arm formless or something.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

If you cut the Silver Surfer in half would he be filled with guts, more silver, or cosmic power like Captain Atom or something?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The latter. I think he bleeds Kirby dots.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

goatface posted:

The latter. I think he bleeds Kirby dots.

Yup.

Marvel Zombies #3

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Chinaman7000 posted:

If you cut the Silver Surfer in half would he be filled with guts, more silver, or cosmic power like Captain Atom or something?
in Marvel Ruins he's got metallic guts. We know this because he tore his chest open in a claustrophobic attempt to feel an actual breath of air (in space, no less).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

In Ruins everything sucks because Warren Ellis is an immature shithead wherever capes are concerned.