Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
He played a major role in the show and met Bryan Cranston while filming the episode "Drive".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
He seemed to be a primary writer for at least the first few seasons. It felt like every episode was written by Gilligan, Spotnitz, or Carter.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I would love to see what they could do with the basic premise of s1 and 2 Millennium now with the much looser censorship, myself.

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.

Loomer posted:

I would love to see what they could do with the basic premise of s1 and 2 Millennium now with the much looser censorship, myself.

Hannibal.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

pahuyuth posted:

Agreed, a short season would be fantastic. Didn't Breaking Bad creator Vince Gilligan work on some of the better X-Files episodes? Thinking about what he could do with the franchise today after his success with BB gets my mind whirling. And now that Amazon has declined to pick up Chris Carter's latest project The After, maybe now is a good time for him to get on the ball.

Oh no, The After was cancelled? I liked that in a terrible way.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

pahuyuth posted:

I loves me some Millenium. Gonna get my box set out and binge. For a long time the pilot and the X-files episode 'Home' (yeah you know that one) were the creepiest things I had ever seen on TV.

In the article I read about Fox bringing the X-files back, they also mentioned resurrecting 'Prison Break' and more '24'. Holky gently caress I'd love more PB!

My feeling is that any of those would do great as short event series. As much as I love the X-files I'm not sure how well it would work as a regular series today. The era in which the show aired was as big of a part to its success as the writing etc.

Edit: Found the article where Prison Break, X-Files, and 24 are all mentioned

It wouldn't be a long engagement anyways. Gillian Anderson lives in London and already said that it would have to work with her schedule, which a 24 episode season wouldn't.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
So I have got to ask a question that bothered me since I was a kid, watching the X-Files with my parents. Are those weird egg things in the title sequence actually from an episode, or are they just there because they look weird?

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick

pahuyuth posted:

Agreed, a short season would be fantastic. Didn't Breaking Bad creator Vince Gilligan work on some of the better X-Files episodes? Thinking about what he could do with the franchise today after his success with BB gets my mind whirling. And now that Amazon has declined to pick up Chris Carter's latest project The After, maybe now is a good time for him to get on the ball.

Oh boy, Vince Gilligan getting involved in the X-Files reboot would be like a nerdy wet dream for me. I can only imagine the possibilities. That is who you want in the writer's room when developing the mytharc. He did express interest in re-mastering the X-Files, at the very least, on the Breaking Bad insider podcast. And he speaks fondly of his time working on the show. I just don't know, I get the impression that he has moved on from the X-Files. He has kind of built a decent career for himself doing his own thing, and unless Better Call Saul is a huge flop (which I'm hoping it isn't), I don't really see it happening.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Bob Odenkirk + Vince Gilligan can't possibly be a flop.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The Glumslinger posted:

So I have got to ask a question that bothered me since I was a kid, watching the X-Files with my parents. Are those weird egg things in the title sequence actually from an episode, or are they just there because they look weird?

It's mirrored time-lapse footage of a germinating seed. The only shot from an episode is the one of them busting through a door, which is in the second episode.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Exploder posted:

Oh boy, Vince Gilligan getting involved in the X-Files reboot would be like a nerdy wet dream for me. I can only imagine the possibilities. That is who you want in the writer's room when developing the mytharc. He did express interest in re-mastering the X-Files, at the very least, on the Breaking Bad insider podcast. And he speaks fondly of his time working on the show. I just don't know, I get the impression that he has moved on from the X-Files. He has kind of built a decent career for himself doing his own thing, and unless Better Call Saul is a huge flop (which I'm hoping it isn't), I don't really see it happening.

Even if Better Call Saul was a huge flop, I doubt Gilligan would be back. The mytharc is Carter's baby, while Gilligan was more of a monster of the week guy (which you can tell by their post Xfiles careers). Not to mention that it would be hugely awkward to get Gilligan, who is far more successful and talented, to play second fiddle on someone else's show. Same for Morgan and Wong.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Jack Gladney posted:

It's mirrored time-lapse footage of a germinating seed. The only shot from an episode is the one of them busting through a door, which is in the second episode.

With Scully's red suit.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

joepinetree posted:

Even if Better Call Saul was a huge flop, I doubt Gilligan would be back. The mytharc is Carter's baby, while Gilligan was more of a monster of the week guy (which you can tell by their post Xfiles careers). Not to mention that it would be hugely awkward to get Gilligan, who is far more successful and talented, to play second fiddle on someone else's show. Same for Morgan and Wong.

It depends. They could just have a soft spot for the show and want to do it. I mean Morgan and Wong still love Millennium

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

bobkatt013 posted:

It depends. They could just have a soft spot for the show and want to do it. I mean Morgan and Wong still love Millennium

There is loving the show and then there is being a staff writer on someone else's project. If this was a full season, then yeah, I could imagine them writing a one off motw episode like Stephen King did. But it is going to be a short mini-series type deal.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Double posting to once again recommend the x files files. Their latest one mentioned something I had never really thought about: how much Pusher (Vince Gilligan's 1st script as a staff writer) is like Proto-Breaking Bad: regular, disgruntled guy develops cancer, he uses his powers to lash back at the world and feel big (even choosing not take up the easy treatment that would have saved his life) and when no one notices and he is about to die free but unrecognized he starts taunting law enforcement to get their attention.

LolitaSama
Dec 27, 2011

apophenium posted:

The podcast is so good holy poo poo. When I found out there weren't going to be episodes of it these last few weeks of 2014 I had a brief existential crisis. It's making going through the series for the first time a lot more enjoyable.

I keep hearing how great the X-Files podcast is, but I've never listened to a podcast in its entirety. Do you sync them up with the episode and watch them that way or is it its own separate thing? Is each podcast covering an episode or is it just an assortment of X-files stuff ?

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.

LolitaSama posted:

I keep hearing how great the X-Files podcast is, but I've never listened to a podcast in its entirety. Do you sync them up with the episode and watch them that way or is it its own separate thing? Is each podcast covering an episode or is it just an assortment of X-files stuff ?

Nah, you don't have to sync them up, they talk about two episodes per podcast, usually. They've been going in order, but Kumail said he plans on doing an episode about the X-Cops one out of order. The guests Kumail has had have been really good so far, he even talked to Darin Morgan about Clyde Bruckman's Last Repose and Humbug. I think he's going to have William B. Davis on the show soon too.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

apophenium posted:

Nah, you don't have to sync them up, they talk about two episodes per podcast, usually. They've been going in order, but Kumail said he plans on doing an episode about the X-Cops one out of order. The guests Kumail has had have been really good so far, he even talked to Darin Morgan about Clyde Bruckman's Last Repose and Humbug. I think he's going to have William B. Davis on the show soon too.

Yeah, he's had both Morgan brothers on his show, and also Mark Snow (composer of theme song), Dean Haglund (one of the lone gunmen) and Steve Asbell (producer of second movie). So not only are his guests generally good, but he is also getting a ton of insiders to come on. Darin Morgan will be back on to talk about Jose Chung's from outer space. I wouldn't be surprised if he got Gilligan or Carter to do a podcast with him.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

What episode are they up too? If they have not done it yet having William B. Davis would be a good guest for Musings of a Cigarette Smoking Man.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.

bobkatt013 posted:

What episode are they up too? If they have not done it yet having William B. Davis would be a good guest for Musings of a Cigarette Smoking Man.

This week's episode talked about 'Pusher' (which was awesome) and 'Tesos Dos Bichos' (which was not). It's been really fun watching along with the podcast.

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008
I'm currently trudging through season 7, and the quality drop is starting to set in for real. The last one I watched, the Gillian Anderson-written and directed "All Things", was particularly awkward and cringeworthy. For those who need a refresher, Scully finds out that her old professor, who she was sleeping with back in med school, is dying. She has several visions, and a revelation in front of a Buddha statue in a Chinatown temple. Then her aging former lover is cured through alternative healing, by the cleansing of his chakras, or something along those lines.To my understanding, this is the only thing Anderson has ever directed, and I guess she's a believer in that stuff. There are a bunch of experimental touches, such as scenes in slow-motion set to Moby, none of which really work.

Anyways, I'm hoping there are at least a couple of more bright spots on the line of X-Cops before the end of the series.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Is that before or after the episode where Mulder finds out what really really really happened to his sister and there's another Moby scene?

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Speaking of Season 7, I can't wait until X-Files Files gets to First Person Shooter :allears:

I actually don't mind Season 7 overall. Their basic attitude seemed to be 'well if the show is going to become a grotesque parody of itself, we might as well have some fun with it.'

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

haveblue posted:

Is that before or after the episode where Mulder finds out what really really really happened to his sister and there's another Moby scene?

After.

At least First Person Shooter was hilariously bad.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

haveblue posted:

After.

ElectricWizard posted:

Anyways, I'm hoping there are at least a couple of more bright spots on the line of X-Cops before the end of the series.
The very next episode, Hollywood AD, was written and directed by David Duchovny. It isn't as good as X-Cops but it's up there.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

apophenium posted:

This week's episode talked about 'Pusher' (which was awesome) and 'Tesos Dos Bichos' (which was not). It's been really fun watching along with the podcast.

I am going to have to start listening. I am rewatching and at the movie right now, however I am taking a little break and watching Millennium. I have to finish the series before I get to the lovely rap up in Season 7.

Monagle
May 7, 2007
Wonka Wash spelled backwards.

ElectricWizard posted:

I'm currently trudging through season 7, and the quality drop is starting to set in for real. The last one I watched, the Gillian Anderson-written and directed "All Things", was particularly awkward and cringeworthy. For those who need a refresher, Scully finds out that her old professor, who she was sleeping with back in med school, is dying. She has several visions, and a revelation in front of a Buddha statue in a Chinatown temple. Then her aging former lover is cured through alternative healing, by the cleansing of his chakras, or something along those lines.To my understanding, this is the only thing Anderson has ever directed, and I guess she's a believer in that stuff. There are a bunch of experimental touches, such as scenes in slow-motion set to Moby, none of which really work.

i remember very little about the later seasons, but this episode ,specifically that buddha scene, I can recall clearly

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Slate Action posted:

I actually don't mind Season 7 overall. Their basic attitude seemed to be 'well if the show is going to become a grotesque parody of itself, we might as well have some fun with it.'

This was one of my problems with season 8. Going with Mulder being written out of the show it just gets more grim and serious, with a bigger focus on the mythology, which has turned to poo poo by this point. IIRC there aren't any more goofy parody/monster of the week episodes at all until season 9.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Season 7 was part of an insane multimedia Moby blitz. He was the most heavily licensed artist ever for a long time because of that. Tons of commercials, Gone in 60 Seconds, and the very start of that special corporate synergy thing where the studio puts albums from its record label into episodes of its popular shows. I swear I heard every track on Play long before I bought the record.

Basket of Kittens
Feb 22, 2008

Across the Rio Grande
Currently early in season 5 guys.

I am pretty intrigued by the crazy high-end polaroid camera that is sometimes used. It is big and white and has lasers on it. Popped up in a few episodes during crime scene analyses. Just always popped out at me.

A couple episodes ago there was a scene where the CSM brought another Samantha clone to Mulder at a diner, and for some reason he started interacting with her like it was his sister. Were the writers not accounting for the previous episodes where it was confirmed they're alien clones full of green goo?

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER

Jack Gladney posted:

Season 7 was part of an insane multimedia Moby blitz. He was the most heavily licensed artist ever for a long time because of that. Tons of commercials, Gone in 60 Seconds, and the very start of that special corporate synergy thing where the studio puts albums from its record label into episodes of its popular shows. I swear I heard every track on Play long before I bought the record.

That's also around the time when electronic music was really starting to pick up steam and become acceptable to the mainstream. Moby, Fatboy Slim, that Cher song with the autotune, they were all loving huge at the time.

Basket of Kittens posted:

A couple episodes ago there was a scene where the CSM brought another Samantha clone to Mulder at a diner, and for some reason he started interacting with her like it was his sister. Were the writers not accounting for the previous episodes where it was confirmed they're alien clones full of green goo?

He wants to believe, duh.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Basket of Kittens posted:

Currently early in season 5 guys.

I am pretty intrigued by the crazy high-end polaroid camera that is sometimes used. It is big and white and has lasers on it. Popped up in a few episodes during crime scene analyses. Just always popped out at me.

imo don't judge X-files by episode continuity, which is a weird thing to say but is kind of true

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

ElectricWizard posted:

If I recall correctly, part of the deal that led to that episode was that Cris Carter came to Anderson and said they'd do the episode if she changed the beginning to have that scene with Anderson getting dressed and leaving Mulder's apartment. So it was pretty much an excuse to feed the shipper fire.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

ElectricWizard posted:

After.

At least First Person Shooter was hilariously bad.

This was one of the worst episodes ive ever seen. Holy poo poo. Those loving glasses. :lol:

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

The videogame episode is hilarious in its badness. The real worst episode is the one starring Kathy Griffin.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

UnknownMercenary posted:

The real worst episode is the one starring Kathy Griffin.

That's pretty much true of any TV show.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I just watched one about a magic panther killing people who stole sacred artifacts from an ancient burial site. It's season 3, X-Files: you can do better than a magic panther. That one about the invisible zoo animals was a season earlier and was at least weird as gently caress.

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER

Jack Gladney posted:

I just watched one about a magic panther killing people who stole sacred artifacts from an ancient burial site. It's season 3, X-Files: you can do better than a magic panther. That one about the invisible zoo animals was a season earlier and was at least weird as gently caress.

That one's notoriously bad. So bad that the cast and crew were given T-shirts that read "Teso Dos Bichos Survivor."

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Jack Gladney posted:

If I recall correctly, it's not so much a magic panther as a bunch of kitties?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Skinner crying at the end of S7 was so loving retarded. Holy hell dude.

• Locked thread