Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

SelenicMartian posted:

I didn't watch all of it, but does anyone in the clip whip out a pipe and dress up as Stalin?

No, and a Nazi oom-pah band was also not involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

paradoxGentleman posted:

So, uh.
The Game Grumps just uploaded an animation that appears to me to be unspeakably racist. I'm not sure I'm even comfortable posting it here.
Has anyone else seen it? Am I just being oversensitive?

They do this all the time, in my experience. They did that whole Sad Hoshi bit, and then there was that time where Danny was so amused by the broken English of a Japanese singer at a club, he imitated it for months in their videos. They love making fun of Japanese people.

I don't think it's being oversensitive when someone does a racist thing and you go "Hey, that's racist." It's appropriate to acknowledge that. How much you want to be offended or entertained by said racism is up to each individual.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
I went "wooooooooooow" out loud at that racist thing. What year is it?

At the very least, it's offensively unfunny, for sure. :shrug:

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
Game Grumps have always been pretty poo poo, but it's good to know they're also casually racist.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUb2-28adB0&t=139s

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Jamesman posted:

and then there was that time where Danny was so amused by the broken English of a Japanese singer at a club, he imitated it for months in their videos.

For context's sake, he was talking about a japanese singer named Hyde, who did a concert in Baltimore, and was saying how awesome the singer was for doing the research of finding out the town was famous for crab fishing, and connected with the crowd despite not knowing much english.

The Miyamoto thing was horribly unfunny even during the episode and it baffles me why anyone would have animated it. Arin gets really wierd about Japan, and Asia in general sometimes.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

They can't even be racist properly. Game Grumps doesn't turn into 'Glame Glumps'. Where's the 'r' in 'game'? :goonsay:

Bluebomberimo
Jan 25, 2014

Onean posted:

You have to sign up with Nintendo, and can either flag individual videos or an entire, Nintendo only channel. If you flag a video they take 40%, while flagging every video on a channel will only cost 30%. However, this is after all of the other stuff that comes off first, like Google's automatic 50% cut and the MCN's cut if you're a part of one, which can be around 10-40% or so after Google's cut. Then, they only pay through PayPal using USD so you'll probably have PayPal fees on top of any currency conversions if they're needed.

I'm with the "something is better than nothing", though I'm not one who's super anal about getting every penny out of every dumb video I put on YouTube. I'm just a bit finicky with having things sitting in my Copyright notifications box because maybe there's some threshold when that gets to full where YouTube will see the channel in some form of bad status and take away features and junk and currently everything sitting in mine is all Nintendo stuff, so I'm just curious if getting videos cleared through Nintendo's new thing will get the ID claims dealt with.

VoidBurger posted:

Some people seem super defensive about that particular character because of the way the devs somewhat lazily designed her to have a vague, quirky, maybe-mental-illness-but-we're-not-really-sure-cuz-it-might-also-be-that-she's-very-sheltered plausible deniability thing going on with her. So people who DO relate to her in vague mental health ways project that to be 100% canon, and take it very personally how you treat her. I haven't played all of Season 2 (but I saw that spoiler coming anyway), but I've already been asked: "Do you have a problem with intellectually disabled people in general or just fictional ones you can make fun of for laughs?" (I don't think I made fun of her at all, but I laughed at her father hitting her with the full force of his power unnecessarily because it was SO unnecessary.)

And this was ask.fm, not Youtube, lol. Probably because Youtube isn't as anon as ask.fm, so you can ask all sorts of absurd or harassing questions without many ramifications. So it's not just Youtube that's a bit weird with this particular character. Nobody judged me as hard for not high-fiving and sometimes making fun of Duck, or for constantly mocking and eventually murdering Ben, who is also a useless teenager trying not to gently caress up but continuously doing so anyway, because the game does not try to imply at all that those young people have any mental problems (though it could have if it chose to have some scenes like that).

Yeah I don't really get it, I just feel it's a little silly to blame the player for a scene that happens in a video game. It'd be like getting mad at an actor for something a character they played did.
At the same time though I'd take any and all Anonymous messages with a grain of salt since it's always just someone who's too afraid to be public about their opinions or crappy behavior. Especially these days since there's so many people who seem to like jumping on anything and attacking things they don't like for various reasons. Being civil on the internet has become rarer and rarer with the mindset of "YOU DID A THING I DO NOT AGREE WITH OR LIKE I WILL CURSE YOU TO HELL" becoming the more prominent reaction and it's gone from maybe one or two people to HUGE GROUPS who will attack people for the most childish things.

Like didn't Cry recently catch a lot of flack because he didn't put a "trigger warning" on his Silent Hill 2 videos?

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

They can't even be racist properly. Game Grumps doesn't turn into 'Glame Glumps'. Where's the 'r' in 'game'? :goonsay:

also I thought this was supposed to work the other way round that L --> R but whatever. Not a funny video so it isn't redeemed at all by humour.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bluebomberimo posted:

Like didn't Cry recently catch a lot of flack because he didn't put a "trigger warning" on his Silent Hill 2 videos?

Yeah, he did.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Unfunny Poster posted:

The whole "if you want to do a single Nintendo video we take a 40% cut, but if you agree to put all your faith in our products to only do Nintendo related videos we'll only take a 30% cut" is pretty dumb as well.

Really don't see the angle Nintendo is going for other than wanting to exert more control on their IP. Which they sort of have full right to do with regards to Let's Plays (since that's still a debated topic) but they're going about things so weird and awkwardly.

It also doesn't really cover review videos and news videos much either from what I can tell.

Or you could have two channels and segregate all the Nintendo stuff. It's probably just a reward for making the administration side simpler, you only have to point at one channel instead of every video individually.

sout posted:

also I thought this was supposed to work the other way round that L --> R but whatever. Not a funny video so it isn't redeemed at all by humour.

Either works, Japanese just doesn't distinguish between the two. I understand it's actually more common for a language to not have separate L and R sounds than to have them, but don't quote me on that.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

Unfunny Poster posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfHuSgYZI1E

Yeah....this is just terrible.

The defenders in the comments are equally bad.

This is gonna sound like I'm defending this but Game grumps have this really weird thing where they're like super rad about stuff like feminism and Goobergate, but then do stuff like this for an episode. 2 different beasts I guess but it's a strange disconnect

sad hoshi was great tho

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

Bluebomberimo posted:

Yeah, and while I feel like the person who got offended was a little too "zero-to-sixty" offended about it, Cry did the worse thing (from what I saw) by doubling down instead of simply going "Whoa, my bad, I didn't think of it that way, I'll try to be more considerate in the future." Cause, I mean, as someone who's a GIGANTIC Silent Hill nerd and is super desensitized to the game's imagery, I would still have to be either willfully ignorant or a huge rear end in a top hat to not understand why someone would be upset/disturbed about all the rape imagery in Silent Hill 2. Cause there's some pretty disturbing stuff in Silent Hill 2 in regards to that! Almost all of the other games have a content warning screen along the lines of "This game contains imagery which may be considered violent or cruel" (surprisingly, SH2 doesn't have this disclaimer).

PyramidHead does some convincing (and shocking) sexual assault motions on at least three female-inspired creatures during the game, I think that's decent enough for a content warning, since it does nothing to spoil the game nor inconvenience the LPer. v:shobon:v Let alone that there's a room later in the game that's got fleshy holes with thrusting pistons in it, along with a monster that is the embodiment of incestuous rape. The game handles rape in an extremely disturbing manner, but a manner befit of an extremely disturbing experience, and it's not a big leap to imagine that it would throw a rape survivor into emotional turmoil.

When my LP of SH2 goes up, I'm gonna have a few content warnings because, hell, why not? (Sorry to ramble, as I said, I'm a huge dweeb for Silent Hill garbage.)

Holepunchio
May 31, 2011

VoidBurger posted:

PyramidHead does some convincing (and shocking) sexual assault motions on at least three female-inspired creatures during the game, I think that's decent enough for a content warning
Is that scene where the player first meets pyramid head part of that list? I don't know Silent Hill at all but Two Best Friends are also doing a Silent Hill 2 LP and that scene came up without any warning or backlash about not having warnings. Link for posterity They also talk about the scene afterward. I dunno did Cry not handle it as well or something?

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Niggurath posted:

Game Grumps have always been pretty poo poo, but it's good to know they're also casually racist.

Quick, someone make a hashtag about it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

EricFate posted:

#NotAllGrumps

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

EricFate posted:

#GlameGlumpsDidNothingWrongMuchLikeHitler

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Holepunchio posted:

Is that scene where the player first meets pyramid head part of that list? I don't know Silent Hill at all but Two Best Friends are also doing a Silent Hill 2 LP and that scene came up without any warning or backlash about not having warnings. Link for posterity They also talk about the scene afterward. I dunno did Cry not handle it as well or something?

The main difference is that Cry is, for lack of a better term, tumblr approved and he has a lot of fans who are teenage girls.

I haven't heard anything about this until now though so if he handled it poorly as well then that doesn't help his case.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

EricFate posted:

#grumpgate. I hate myself now.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

we already had #IStandWithJonTron what more do you want

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

Holepunchio posted:

Is that scene where the player first meets pyramid head part of that list?
Technically second, I believe (but that's semantics.)

Holepunchio posted:

but Two Best Friends are also doing a Silent Hill 2 LP and that scene came up without any warning or backlash about not having warnings. Link for posterity They also talk about the scene afterward. I dunno did Cry not handle it as well or something?
Different demographics, I guess! v:shobon:v So far as I've seen Cry was basically like "I don't see anything wrong with it" and just dug in his heels instead of being an eensy bit empathetic or graceful and just being all "whoops, my bad" about it.

By the way, here was the silly sum-up of the drama I skimmed around in. I pretty much don't approve of anybody's reaction here (the original offended person's zero-to-sixty offended response AND all the apologetic/doublingdown stuff for a scene that is very obviously meant to invoke rape imagery. Everyone acted somewhat poorly here, basically.)

Though I will always lol at "The reason it's not rape is because there's no penetration" haha, as if they're going to show Pyramidhead's 3d-modeled dick entering a monster's vagina and then be like "oh no, why is it rated AO now and we can't sell it anywhere :( I just wanted to portray rape in vidyagames"

VoidBurger fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jan 31, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I like watching all the various Game Grumps shows but I'm not even going to bother defending the racist thing. I don't know why someone made an animation of it, the animation video is basically the length of the whole bit in a like bajillion and a half part long Mario playthrough. The tone of the show is very schizophrenic; sometimes there's wacky zany not-humor like that and it's not all that funny to people besides Egoraptor and Danny (because they are present in the room when the jokes are being said) but a lot of the time it's just chill, and chill is good. Chill Grumps.

Also relevant, the Game Grumps' videos have annotations for trigger warnings when they're really necessary; I believe the most recent one was a Trauma Center episode that featured a suicidal patient. I like them (Arin, Danny, Ross, and formerly Jon) because they're nice people that are considerate of their fans, but sometimes there are missteps like that animation.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jan 31, 2015

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

VoidBurger posted:

Though I will always lol at "The reason it's not rape is because there's no penetration" haha, as if they're going to show Pyramidhead's 3d-modeled dick entering a monster's vagina and then be like "oh no, why is it rated AO now and we can't sell it anywhere :( I just wanted to portray rape in vidyagames"

Eh, the other stuff on James' backstory make it arguable for that first scene at least, it's just that the other type of violence also looks quite sexual. Then again, it's been a while since I played SH2 and I've been reliving it thru the TBFP LP, so there might be more on-the-nose rape allusions somewhere.

Also, that wasn't a "little" too zero-to-sixty, that was actual Tumblr-bullshit levels of zero-to-sixty offense. Not that the dude shouldn't have apologized.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Here's an example of what I'm talking about :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfTNZLssib4

At the end of the previous episode, the conversation went to a kind of dark place and in this one Danny explains his long-rear end depression before starting his band and he talks at length about how he got rid of his medication because he felt he didn't need it anymore, and it worked for him because it was the right time for him to do it. He realized after recording the episode that when he told the story, it might have come across as him telling people to dump their meds when they think they're done being depressed, so he went off alone and recorded a thing that was put in a few episodes later:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msJHaYzPVeY&t=968s

The reason I like Game Grumps as a show is because the stuff they talk about varies wildly and they aren't afraid to let the conversation go to places like this, they just talk about whatever with the game taking the background a lot of the time; and sure this is the point where the videos are about the personalities as much as they are the game being played, but from the very beginning they have all decried that they do let's plays in the traditional sense anyway and I don't blame them. The grumps and their various shows are a prime example of how let's play as a format is very fluid and if you are up front about the fact that your show is not 100% about the game, then it doesn't matter that it's not.

The racist caricature thing was still pretty bad though.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jan 31, 2015

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
And here I was, thinking a Trigger Warning was what they did to Michael Brown.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

CJacobs posted:

I like watching all the various Game Grumps shows but I'm not even going to bother defending the racist thing. I don't know why someone made an animation of it, the animation video is basically the length of the whole bit in a like bajillion and a half part long Mario playthrough. The tone of the show is very schizophrenic; sometimes there's wacky zany not-humor like that and it's not all that funny to people besides Egoraptor and Danny (because they are present in the room when the jokes are being said) but a lot of the time it's just chill, and chill is good. Chill Grumps.

Also relevant, the Game Grumps' videos have annotations for trigger warnings when they're really necessary; I believe the most recent one was a Trauma Center episode that featured a suicidal patient. I like them (Arin, Danny, Ross, and formerly Jon) because they're nice people that are considerate of their fans, but sometimes there are missteps like that animation.

I can't help but shake the feeling that Chill Grumps is somewhat of an oxymoron. You can't really be chill when you're grumpy.

Dias posted:

Also, that wasn't a "little" too zero-to-sixty, that was actual Tumblr-bullshit levels of zero-to-sixty offense.

It's not quite full Tumblr though. Full Tumblr is screaming at somebody to put a trigger warning for gore on a picture of a pomegranate.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

VoidBurger posted:

By the way, here was the silly sum-up of the drama I skimmed around in. I pretty much don't approve of anybody's reaction here (the original offended person's zero-to-sixty offended response AND all the apologetic/doublingdown stuff for a scene that is very obviously meant to invoke rape imagery. Everyone acted somewhat poorly here, basically.)

:stare: Good lord, I can understand being upset, but that isn't even in the same time zone as reasonable. At least they haven't doxxed him yet, which seems to be the crazy side of tumblr's M.O.

CJacobs posted:

I think it's because on the show, Arin feels the need to play a so-wacky youtuber character, which is why he goes for cheap humor sometimes (casual racism, poop jokes, that kind of crap). The best episodes are when Arin is just Arin, not his character.

Danny is just Danny all the time, which is why he's the best.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

CJacobs posted:

The reason I like Game Grumps as a show is because the stuff they talk about varies wildly and they aren't afraid to let the conversation go to places like this, they just talk about whatever with the game taking the background a lot of the time; and sure this is the point where the videos are about the personalities as much as they are the game being played, but from the very beginning they have all decried that they do let's plays in the traditional sense anyway and I don't blame them. The grumps and their various shows are a prime example of how let's play as a format is very fluid and if you are up front about the fact that your show is not 100% about the game, then it doesn't matter that it's not.

The racist caricature thing was still pretty bad though.

Yeah for the record this is a super good post and explains p perfectly why i like them. they get a lot of flack around here for it being more about them than the games but considering i can never get into podcasts despite wanting to that is, as they say, My poo poo

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

Dias posted:

Eh, the other stuff on James' backstory make it arguable for that first scene at least, it's just that the other type of violence also looks quite sexual. Then again, it's been a while since I played SH2 and I've been reliving it thru the TBFP LP, so there might be more on-the-nose rape allusions somewhere.
It's more of a "big picture" thing that makes Silent Hill 2 so much about sexual frustration and violence. That first "rape" scene is a biggie because it's so shocking (there isn't even a load screen before it, you just open a door and are shoved into this scary, confusing, sexual-looking scene with moans and legs akimbo and everything). It's also worth considering that this scene is very obviously based off the incredibly disturbing rape scene in the movie Blue Velvet (which, y'know, similarly to SH2 doesn't SHOW penetration, but you know what's happening.) Then there's the entire character of Angela, who is a person who eventually commits suicide due to her history of being sexually abused by her father, and you realize Silent Hill is a pretty serious game thematically and really hosed up symbolically. It makes total sense to me why people who have been through trauma like that might want to be warned ahead of time so they can either brace themselves for stuff that might remind them of that horrible experience, or just avoid it rather than remember that stuff.

Dias posted:

Also, that wasn't a "little" too zero-to-sixty, that was actual Tumblr-bullshit levels of zero-to-sixty offense. Not that the dude shouldn't have apologized.
Yeah, upon revisiting the image I posted, it's quite a bit more than a "little", lol. I misremembered the initial person being a tad less hysterical and I don't know why. Perhaps because I agreed that it was pigheaded to dig his heels in about the warning thing for pretty much no reason. As I said originally, everybody handled it poorly in different ways.

VoidBurger fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jan 31, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Danaru posted:

I think it's because on the show, Arin feels the need to play a so-wacky youtuber character, which is why he goes for cheap humor sometimes (casual racism, poop jokes, that kind of crap). The best episodes are when Arin is just Arin, not his character.

Maybe so. I think that's partly just his style of humor, even way back in the Newgrounds days lowbrow humor was how he got people to laugh at his animations at first. People went to Newgrounds for poopy butt jokes and he delivered, but I don't think he ever grew out of that phase. I still like the guy and think he's funny but he's probably my least favorite member of the show because he's incredibly talented and has the potential to be hilarious but in my opinion he squanders a lot of it. Also of course you would think Dan is the best, Person Also Named Dan :v:

VoidBurger posted:

Yeah, upon revisiting the image I posted, it's quite a bit more than a "little", lol. I misremembered the initial person being a tad less hysterical and I don't know why. Perhaps because I agreed that it was pigheaded to dig his heels in about the warning thing for pretty much no reason. As I said originally, everybody handled it poorly in different ways.

I recall watching a Silent Hill let's play a long long time ago (I believe Slowbeef and Diabetus retsupuraed him because he sounded like Goofy) where the guy opened each episode with a still of the "This game contains disturbing imagery and violence etc" screen from the relevant game in the series, and I think that's an alright compromise between going out of your way to clarify the specific things that could trigger people, while also placing an amount of trust in the common sense of your audience. That way you aren't just handwaving it away with "oh it's a scary game and a series with weird stuff" like Cry sorta did, but instead letting the game speak for itself and hoping people take that as their cue to decide if they want to watch videos of it or not.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jan 31, 2015

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

Danaru posted:

CJacobs posted:

Maybe so. I think that's partly just his style of humor, even way back in the Newgrounds days lowbrow humor was how he got people to laugh at his animations at first. People went to Newgrounds for poopy butt jokes and he delivered, but I don't think he ever grew out of that phase. I still like the guy and think he's funny but he's probably my least favorite member of the show because he's incredibly talented and has the potential to be hilarious but in my opinion he squanders a lot of it. Also of course you would think Dan is the best, Person Also Named Dan :v:

Lets all just agree that tiredgrumps is the ideal form of grumps

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

VoidBurger posted:

The "It's not really rape if the dick don't go in" argument is literally one of the worst things anyone can say.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

VoidBurger posted:

Everyone acted somewhat poorly here, basically.

He did a semi-apology when he tweeted that image out.

https://twitter.com/CryWasTaken/status/558894786204418048

The only good part about that image was he wasn't the one responding in the comments to the person. I'm iffy on the whole situation, which was why I bugged you on the twitters about it.

He put a trigger warning in the next update as a result, but it sorta came off as him doing it forcefully and not too happy he had to do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALij9YhwzC8

Edit - This sort of brings up a question for me. If you're gonna do an LP of a game that would benefit from including a trigger warning for this sort of stuff, do you put it at the very start of the LP or at the start of the update(s) with the offending scene(s)?

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jan 31, 2015

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

Unfunny Poster posted:

He did a semi-apology when he tweeted that image out.

https://twitter.com/CryWasTaken/status/558894786204418048
Haha wow that's one half-assed apology.

Unfunny Poster posted:

The only good part about that image was he wasn't the one responding in the comments to the person. I'm iffy on the whole situation, which was why I bugged you on the twitters about it.

He put a trigger warning in the next update as a result, but it sorta came off as him doing it forcefully and not too happy he had to do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALij9YhwzC8
Haha wow that's one half-assed "I'm being forced to do this" content warning with no consideration for others! Also HOLY poo poo his loving emulator is doing that janky-rear end, easily-fixable glitch with the flashlight that makes it look like a loving making GBS threads pointy white jpg is flipping out all over James' chest and why am I actually mad about this ughhhhhh. Watch a better LP, watch mine, coming out probably next week.

Unfunny Poster posted:

Edit - This sort of brings up a question for me. If you're gonna do an LP of a game that would benefit from including a trigger warning for this sort of stuff, do you put it at the very start of the LP or at the start of the update(s) with the offending scene(s)?
For mine at least, I'm going to be putting a general all-purpose content warning in an introductory video, and I'm also going to be putting short content warnings on the episodes with the more disturbing stuff. Again, my mentality is "why not?" It helps people feel more at ease, and make me look like a good editor and stuff (I like doing fancy After Effects poo poo, so I don't mind more opportunities to make things even more polished-looking)

I mean, it's a game that not only handles rough topics like rape, but is unique in that it handles them kind of... well? Realistically, or something? I dunno, I feel like SH2 is the game that has handled rape the best because it basically shows it in a completely non-titillating way, and focuses so much more on the aftereffects of that stuff than on the gossipy details of the events (who did what? how did it happen? where? when? what was she wearing? None of that matters.) It handles rape by basically saying "There is not "handling" of this, it's a monster in itself."

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

VoidBurger posted:

Haha wow that's one half-assed apology.

Haha wow that's one half-assed "I'm being forced to do this" content warning with no consideration for others!

Yeah. I enjoy Cry's stuff but he reacted pretty poorly to this which is strange since he put up the trigger warning for other games without issue. I guess he wanted to keep the "psychological horror" thing going without distracting from it but I don't know.

VoidBurger posted:

Also HOLY poo poo his loving emulator is doing that janky-rear end, easily-fixable glitch with the flashlight that makes it look like a loving making GBS threads pointy white jpg is flipping out all over James' chest and why am I actually mad about this ughhhhhh. Watch a better LP, watch mine, coming out probably next week.

I don't really watch his LP for the Silent Hill nerdom or plot really. His first fight with Pyramid head was pretty unintentionally funny.

VoidBurger posted:

For mine at least, I'm going to be putting a general all-purpose content warning in an introductory video, and I'm also going to be putting short content warnings on the episodes with the more disturbing stuff. Again, my mentality is "why not?" It helps people feel more at ease, and make me look like a good editor and stuff (I like doing fancy After Effects poo poo, so I don't mind more opportunities to make things even more polished-looking)

I mean, it's a game that not only handles rough topics like rape, but is unique in that it handles them kind of... well? Realistically, or something? I dunno, I feel like SH2 is the game that has handled rape the best because it basically shows it in a completely non-titillating way, and focuses so much more on the aftereffects of that stuff than on the gossipy details of the events (who did what? how did it happen? where? when? what was she wearing? None of that matters.) It handles rape by basically saying "There is not "handling" of this, it's a monster in itself."

Yeah, I can see that point.

I played Life is Strange this morning and want to do a Let's play of it once all the episodes are out. It brings up a date rape situation in conversation as well as a scene where a step-dad hits his step-daughter (the latter of which you can actually not find out about due to a choice you make) so I'm not overly sure if that would require a warning or not since it's not implied on a physical basis. I figure I'll just put it a "this game has story elements that deal with sensitive subjects" kind of message at the start. Despite the sorta janky vernacular, it actually does a decent job of touching on the issue without going "lololol date rape/domestic violence you guys, we're so mature as a medium" like Beyond Two Souls did.

Edit - I had this sorta dumb thought. What would people say to using a mix between the TV Parental Guidelines Rating System and ESRB rating as a watermark at the start of the video. You put the icon in the top left of the video, with an explanation as to why the LP would be rated at that level. It's basically using the "TV MA" icon in the video, with the explanation in the description being "this video game story contains scenes of X, Y, Z." One or two streamers I follow have that sort of thing, though maybe it's as a joke.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Jan 31, 2015

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

VoidBurger posted:

Also HOLY poo poo his loving emulator is doing that janky-rear end, easily-fixable glitch with the flashlight that makes it look like a loving making GBS threads pointy white jpg is flipping out all over James' chest and why am I actually mad about this ughhhhhh.
That's not the first time he's had pretty big problems with an emulator either.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
In other news, Angry Joe's latest video got taken down due to a copyright claim by BroTeamPill for using their logo. Twitter goes ablaze as people start picking sides.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Jobbo_Fett posted:

In other news, Angry Joe's latest video got taken down due to a copyright claim by BroTeamPill for using their logo. Twitter goes ablaze as people start picking sides.

I don't care about Angry Joe and I think Brote is a funny guy but boy these tweets people are sending at the latter are hilarious.

The issue has also allegedly already been solved according to mister Ampill:

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Jobbo_Fett posted:

What will pudgy fake angry man with a leather jacket and Wolverine haircut do now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Lazyfire posted:

What will pudgy fake angry man with a leather jacket and Wolverine haircut do now?

Presumably get real mad, call on his "army" and bitch out Youtube for its lovely systems?

• Locked thread