Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
How about Nintendongs HD, am I right? Bet I know what Wario's looks like!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

greatn posted:

How about Nintendongs HD, am I right? Bet I know what Wario's looks like!

lewd

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Lemming posted:

I think Mario Kart drops to 30fps in multiplayer. I don't remember why I think this, but I do.

Only with more than 2 players.

Speaking of which, is there a way to make Mario Kart 2-player split off to the gamepad / TV screen instead of a terrible vertical splitscreen on both? I don't know why they'd even give a vertical option, it's terrible for a racing game.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Is this external hard drive okay to get with the Wii U? http://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-my-passport-ultra-1tb-external-usb-3-0-hard-drive-black/9028431.p?id=1218971610403&skuId=9028431

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

raditts posted:

Only with more than 2 players.

Speaking of which, is there a way to make Mario Kart 2-player split off to the gamepad / TV screen instead of a terrible vertical splitscreen on both? I don't know why they'd even give a vertical option, it's terrible for a racing game.

Nope.

It's a portable, so it'll need a Y-USB cable to work with the Wii U. It's usually advised against (portable drives) but it does work.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
Grabbed Stealth Inc 2 earlier, based on someone in this thread mentioning a price drop for the week.

Fun game! Got pretty excited after picking up the first item.

It's a Cute Stealth Game™.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Nintendo 720 30FPS looks drastically better than most anything else on the market

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Anything Nintendo puts on the Wii U looks better than anything put on a ps4 or x1 plus has the bonus of being fun!

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

everything on the wii U is 1080c which means its 1080% cute in case you were wondering

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Austrian mook posted:

Nintendo 720 30FPS looks drastically better than most anything else on the market

Another Gamecube similarity. Several of Nintendo's games at that system were LOCKED at 30FPS or 60FPS as opposed to the "30FPS" on the PS2/XBox/PS3/360 that's actually "20 to 25FPS." It makes a huge difference in motion.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
When people upload Wii U videos for MK8 or things like that and they are 1080p 60fps I suppose they have been upscaled? What is the reason for doing that, why not just upload it at the quality that you have it. Computers will upscale video on their own when you go fullscreen.

I saw someone on youtube upscale 3DS footage to 1080p. Why not instead upload the 240p footage?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Nolgthorn posted:

When people upload Wii U videos for MK8 or things like that and they are 1080p 60fps I suppose they have been upscaled? What is the reason for doing that, why not just upload it at the quality that you have it. Computers will upscale video on their own when you go fullscreen.

I saw someone on youtube upscale 3DS footage to 1080p. Why not instead upload the 240p footage?

Don't capture devices just output at 1080p these days?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Youtube's HD pipeline gives you much higher video quality, even if the actual footage is SD. I mean, 240p being upscaled to 1080p is going to look like garbage either way, but at least Youtube will butcher it less than it would have otherwise.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Artix posted:

Youtube's HD pipeline gives you much higher video quality, even if the actual footage is SD. I mean, 240p being upscaled to 1080p is going to look like garbage either way, but at least Youtube will butcher it less than it would have otherwise.

Youtube switched away from flash so now it's just playing a video file, I'm not a doctor but I think computers upscale it so that it would look about the same.

noirstronaut posted:

Ah... I see.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Yeah, there's at least one capture device on the market that does 1080p60fps capture that's priced at about the same range as the competition.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Other than the friend voucher thing, are there any differences between MPTrilogy disc and WiiU versions?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Nolgthorn posted:

Youtube switched away from flash so now it's just playing a video file, I'm not a doctor but I think computers upscale it so that it would look about the same.

Flash has nothing to do with it. Youtube still reencodes every video that you upload, and for whatever backend reason their HD encoding gives higher quality footage, even for SD videos.

noirstronaut posted:

Thing is that if you have the WiiU set to 1080p, it'll upscale from whatever native resolution to 1080p any output that. So if you're playing on any modern TV, you'll have recorded a 1080p video by default, even if it's technically upscaled.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Bruceski posted:

Other than the friend voucher thing, are there any differences between MPTrilogy disc and WiiU versions?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_xoXTwaCOA

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Bruceski posted:

The friend voucher thing is exactly how it was on the disc version, which is the problem.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Bruceski posted:

Nothing "other than", the friend voucher bullshit is still in either way. Like previous downloadable Wii games it's an exact copy of the game disc.

Awesome! posted:

loading times

Oh that's actually very nice, not a factor I had considered. Prime 3 always had some surprisingly long loading times so nice to see they're noticeably shorter when downloaded.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jan 31, 2015

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

beerinator posted:

Grabbed Stealth Inc 2 earlier, based on someone in this thread mentioning a price drop for the week.

Fun game! Got pretty excited after picking up the first item.

It's a Cute Stealth Game™.
I actually just sat down with a friend of mine and we played the co-op in Stealth Inc. 2 for a good hour or so. I was actually surprised just how much of a difference the partner makes, since the clone player loses their ability to throw gadgets around, and has to rely on the "hacker" to move the gadget around the screen. A lot of deaths that would result from lack of a single-player's coordination now result from a lack of coordination between the two players. It's great fun.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I guess I just beat NSMBU. Really fun game, I was thinking about it and it's kinda funny how Bowser is a completely different size in like every game he's ever been in.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I think around the GC era (when they standardized all the Mario character designs) they went and made it canon that changing sizes is a superpower Bowser has, he shrinks and grows visibly onscreen in a lot of games these days.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Splatoon stream! http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv206922276

Ultigonio posted:

I have an intense desire to play Squash but I just don't understand your love for the GBA Kuru, it seems so basic.

I like them all but I'm too lazy to specify any particular game and most people don't know of the sequels anyway.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Is this happening now?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Is this happening now?

Yes.

..and it's some japanese people shooting ink into a board and two hosts talking about it?

e: gameplay just started!

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jan 31, 2015

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
How do we play it? I see a bunch of text.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

noirstronaut posted:

How do we play it? I see a bunch of text.

You gotta sign up it seems. If you're down with Japan having your info you can just do an auto-sign in thing with the facebook or twitter button.

Gameplay was, like, five minutes of the E3 demo and back to the hosts and setting up the real life ink game.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Rad, they're showing matches now.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Pink team got loving destroyed.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Splatoon is being shown at Apex this weekend, too, so if you can't watch NND or don't wanna bother with a JP stream, there'll be an English one soon.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Pink team got loving destroyed.

Cool colors always win.

Because they're cool.

EDIT: I'm already planning my Splatoon team. We're gonna be called Ten 10s. We're going to be scrappy underdogs who rise from worst to first in the most oddball way possible.

Jonas Albrecht fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jan 31, 2015

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Splatoon is being shown at Apex this weekend, too, so if you can't watch NND or don't wanna bother with a JP stream, there'll be an English one soon.

Didn't the APEX building get destroyed by the THUNDERSNOW or something?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yeah, they're relocating to another building right now. I dunno how that's gonna affect the Splatoon booth.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Yeah Apex got canceled, I think. :laugh:

edit: oh yeah they moved it to NJ

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

codenameFANGIO posted:

Yeah Apex got canceled, I think. :laugh:

That darn Fire Marshal.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

8-bit Miniboss posted:

That darn Fire Marshal.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Nintendo is really bringing down the house.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Wasn't just that, a fire alarm got pulled and fire fighters showed up and noticed a bunch of problems. Cars in the emergency lanes, hotel didn't have permits for 500+ attendees, etc. Literal fiasco. :lol:

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/2015/01/apex_2015_video_gaming_tournament_at_secaucuss_emp.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I think the Splatoon game froze

• Locked thread