Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

Any economic growth figures on January out yet?

e: that said, growth is minimal in many European countries as well.

World Bank: Russia's Monthly Economic Developments for Jan 2015 (posted in the middle of January though)
More detailed version behind the pdf link on that page

tl;dr version:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

sum posted:

Look I don't have any evidence per se that the following video is authentic but it fits right loving in with the other gross stuff Russia has been doing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmEi8l92t0k

Notice that I said I didn't want to believe it and didn't actually believe it? Because I'm giving the benefit of the doubt? The evidence we have is a Ukrainian government official stating that the Russians were cremating their soldiers in mobile vans. Until I get something more solid I'm inclined to call it BS. Good job overreacting and lumping me in without knowing a damned thing, though!

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

sum posted:

Hahahahaha you guys are loving insane

Yeah, I mean burning bodies would just be TOO MUCH for Russia. Killing thousands, executing POWs, waging dirty wars inside its neighbors while simply denying it - perfectly reasonable. Cremating bodies of the dead soldiers it denies the existence of - too much!

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"

Mightypeon posted:

Meanwhile, that there is mass draft avoidance has also arrived in the western media.

http://www.zeit.de/politik/ausland/2015-01/ukraine-krieg-soldaten-flucht-fronteinsatz-wehrpflicht#comments

That and the fact that Kiev now offers bounties per killed enemy/destroyed tank/destroyed aircraft etc.

I guess that explains why Kiev blew up the Luhansk airport museum, some guy propably read the bounty things, and blew it up for a quick buck.

Any credence in the story that the LNR are trying to "revive" museum aircraft?
http://rusvesna.su/news/1421520338

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Dilkington posted:

Isn't this the same one that got bombed a day or two ago?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Warbadger posted:

Yeah, I mean burning bodies would just be TOO MUCH for Russia. Killing thousands, executing POWs, waging dirty wars inside its neighbors while simply denying it - perfectly reasonable. Cremating bodies of the dead soldiers it denies the existence of - too much!

Honestly, what truth we already know for sure is bad enough, where Russia is sending soldiers in secret to die in an unjust war and claiming they died in "training accidents". Did they actually go ahead and offer those soldiers who mysteriously died the benefits of soldiers who died in combat?

Wasn't there some crackdown on a soldiers' mothers organization for demanding answers? I think I recall them being named an agent of foreign powers or something.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

kalstrams posted:

Isn't this the same one that got bombed a day or two ago?

That's not what actually got bombed, I think --- it seems it was some other place South East of Donetsk.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Warbadger posted:

Yeah because that's a crazy allegation based on next to no evidence and your argument is predicated on exactly the kind of logic that makes people believe in FEMA death camps and stuff

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

sum posted:

Does the reflex to defend the Ukrainian government no matter what turn off the parts of your brain that do critical thinking or what

Who do you blame for the destruction caused by the Gaza War?

sum posted:

Yeah because that's a crazy allegation based on next to no evidence and your argument is predicated on exactly the kind of logic that makes people believe in FEMA death camps and stuff

Based on sum's post history in this thread, I think it's safe to operate under the tentative assumption that he or she is attempting to troll.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Dilkington posted:

Didn't they do the same thing with some old tanks? Apparently the military utility of a revived museum piece tank is pretty low, however, and I can see airplanes having the same problem.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Dolash posted:

Wasn't there some crackdown on a soldiers' mothers organization for demanding answers? I think I recall them being named an agent of foreign powers or something.

The 200-something, or something-200 group? They were seen as a joke, and ridiculously overestimated Russian deaths. Supposedly.

Supposedly.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

sum posted:

Look I don't have any evidence per se that the following video is authentic but it fits right loving in with the other gross stuff Russia has been doing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmEi8l92t0k

AHAHAH lol conspiracy!? REPTILLIANS!!! MONKEY CHEESE!

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

OddObserver posted:

That's not what actually got bombed, I think --- it seems it was some other place South East of Donetsk.
I am confused then, since this and this seem to imply that Ukrainians destroyed some LPR's aviation, namely - 1 L-39, 4 Mi-24s. They also claim damages dealt to 2 AN-2s, 1 Yak-52 and 2 Yak-50, which plays fairly well with museum story. However, I then am confused about L-29 and L-39 - like, which one then? :confused:

StandardVC10 posted:

Didn't they do the same thing with some old tanks? Apparently the military utility of a revived museum piece tank is pretty low, however, and I can see airplanes having the same problem.
Thing is, Soviets preserved, some of the tanks, very well. I am far from certain it extrapolates well to airplanes. On the other hand, contrary to restored T-34s, SU-100s and so on, planes claimed are fairly recent - it is being said of one Su-25 being repaired currently somewhere in LPR, and of plans to remake a few L-29 Delfins into ground attack planes. Some other guy, literally paragraph later, says that every operation is already completed. Also, they mention some helicopters, but no details.

Though, regarding aviation, pro-separatists resources tend to reports conflicting matters. This (or here), the one posted by Dilkington earlier on, and this - they all contradict to a certain degree, and so do Ukrainian reports (with regards to separatists' claims, not them selves).

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

kalstrams posted:

Thing is, Soviets preserved, some of the tanks, very well. I am far from certain it extrapolates well to airplanes. On the other hand, contrary to restored T-34s, SU-100s and so on, planes claimed are fairly recent - it is being said of one Su-25 being repaired currently somewhere in LPR, and of plans to remake a few L-29 Delfins into ground attack planes. Some other guy, literally paragraph later, says that every operation is already completed. Also, they mention some helicopters, but no details.

The point of contention would be, if the separatists have aircraft, where are they launching and maintaining them from? I'm pretty sure you can't wheel a Su-25 or L-29 to a roadway and have it fuel up, takeoff, or even land reliably (since roadways are the worst places to land). Likely, any separatist air support would be taking off from Russia.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jan 31, 2015

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

kalstrams posted:

I am confused then, since this and this seem to imply that Ukrainians destroyed some LPR's aviation, namely - 1 L-39, 4 Mi-24s. They also claim damages dealt to 2 AN-2s, 1 Yak-52 and 2 Yak-50, which plays fairly well with museum story. However, I then am confused about L-29 and L-39 - like, which one then? :confused:

Though, regarding aviation, pro-separatists resources tend to reports conflicting matters. This (or here), the one posted by Dilkington earlier on, and this - they all contradict to a certain degree, and so do Ukrainian reports (with regards to separatists' claims, not them selves).

There were some reports that it was at this spot:
https://www.google.com.ua/maps/plac...82e0a665c071ed4
(At least e.g.: )

Perhaps that's wrong, though, hard to confirm this sort of thing unless someone actually visits the site.

Also, we all know that "being restored" usually means a fresh one will be shipped over from Russia.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

Based on sum's post history in this thread, I think it's safe to operate under the tentative assumption that he or she is attempting to troll.

Are you seriously saying that only a troll would find the idea of secret Russian crematoriums hidden in aid trucks laughable?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

sum posted:

Are you seriously saying that only a troll would find the idea of secret Russian crematoriums hidden in aid trucks laughable?

hello, fellow troll.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Young Freud posted:

The point of contention would be, if the separatists have aircraft, where are they launching and maintaining them from? I'm pretty sure you can't wheel a Su-25 or L-29 to a roadway and have it fuel up, takeoff, or even land reliably (since roadways are the worst places to land). Likely, any separatist air support would be taking off from Russia.
I think there is some fairly uncontested airfield in Luhansk oblast, but I am not certain, nor do I know if, in case it does exist, it is in workable condition, and sufficient for jets mentioned.

OddObserver posted:

There were some reports that it was at this spot:
https://www.google.com.ua/maps/plac...82e0a665c071ed4
(At least e.g.: )

Perhaps that's wrong, though, hard to confirm this sort of thing unless someone actually visits the site.

Also, we all know that "being restored" usually means a fresh one will be shipped over from Russia.
This is really strange now, with actual place where it happened.

Brown Moses, maybe you have some more idea about this?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Is there something warranting a strong position on the notion Russia's locally cremating slain soldiers vacationers? I just googled it and the first article I read indicates the Ukrainian Security Service reported last week that Russia's cremating bodies which would otherwise prove their still-denied involvement. I'm just filing this away as 'a thing I heard.'

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Seems like Poe's Law is pretty applicable to Putin's Russia.

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi
Paging Brown Moses to figure out what's going on with the mobile crematoriums.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

sum posted:

And that has nothing to do with whether it would be at all surprising if the allegation in question were true, which is all anyone here has said. Based on the actions of Russia in this conflict it would not at all be surprising if this (like many of the other allegations of awful poo poo done) actually turned out to be true.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Mobile crematora from Russia to Ukraine?

http://www.nrcu.gov.ua/en/148/588439/

quote:

Russia deploys seven "mobile military crematoriums" in Donetsk region to burn killed Russian soldiers - Security Service

29-01-2015 11:46
Head of the Ukrainian Security Service Valentyn Nalyvaychenko says Russia has deployed seven "mobile military crematoriums" in the eastern Donetsk region to burn the bodies of Russian soldiers killed in combat there.

According to Valentyn Nalyvaychenko the crematoriums are mounted on Kamaz trucks and said each is burning eight to 10 bodies per day. Moscow denies sending troops to Ukraine to fight alongside separatists against government forces in a conflict that has killed more than 5,100 people since April, saying the only Russians fighting there are “volunteers.” But relatives of some Russian soldiers say servicemen have been pressured to fight in Ukraine, and there are reports of bodies of Russian soldiers being repatriated for burial.

http://www.unian.info/war/1037693-sbu-bodies-of-russian-soldiers-burned-in-mobile-crematoria.html

quote:

The bodies of the Russian soldiers killed in the Donbas conflict zone are being burned in mobile crematoriums by order of the General Staff of Russia, Chairman of the Security Service of Ukraine Valentyn Nalyvaichenko said on Wednesday on Ukrainian television’s 5th Channel, according to Ukrainian online newspaper Ukrainska Pravda.

According to Nalyvaichenko, from January 20 to 23, seven mobile crematories mounted on the chassis of Kamaz trucks were brought into the militant-held areas of Ukraine by the order of the General Staff of the Russian Armed Forces.

"Each of these crematoriums burns 8-10 bodies per day," he said.

According to the information, the work of the mobile crematoriums is coordinated directly by the Russian military intelligence. These special Kamaz trucks were spotted at the end of 2014 in the Rostov region near the state border of Ukraine.

"Every day, the hotline of the Security Service of Ukraine records a great of number of calls from dozens of Russian citizens who are looking for their relatives or Russian soldiers who have been sent to the territory of Ukraine," Nalyvaichenko said.

"The Ukrainian government will be humane and will return the bodies of the Russian soldiers to their mothers with all documents and personal effects," he said.

"A few days ago the SBU publicly expressed its readiness to hand over to the Russian side the body of a Russian citizen Andrei Emelianov," he added.

However, according to the press-service of the SBU, the Russian consulate has still not responded to this proposal.

Those are from two days ago. Here's a story from September.

https://twitter.com/stateofukraine/status/507520095665786880

There's even a video on that twitter link. The video is from 2013.

Here's another article stating the same thing. Published two days ago.

http://ukrainiancrisis.net/news/7571

And here's that same video from August 2013 from that twitter link rehosted in November of 2014.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsJort1d7mU

Is this really happening? Who knows, but a story repeated on several news websites and rehosted videos so far are all we've got. Every other crazy story we've scoffed at about the Russians however eventually do seem to become reality. It's something that popped up a couple of days ago, it's not the first time the Ukrainians have claimed Russia is doing this.

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Mobile crematora from Russia to Ukraine?

http://www.nrcu.gov.ua/en/148/588439/

http://www.unian.info/war/1037693-sbu-bodies-of-russian-soldiers-burned-in-mobile-crematoria.html

Those are from two days ago. Here's a story from September.

https://twitter.com/stateofukraine/status/507520095665786880

There's even a video on that twitter link. The video is from 2013.

Here's another article stating the same thing. Published two days ago.

http://ukrainiancrisis.net/news/7571

And here's that same video from August 2013 from that twitter link rehosted in November of 2014.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsJort1d7mU

Is this really happening? Who knows, but a story repeated on several news websites and rehosted videos so far are all we've got. Every other crazy story we've scoffed at about the Russians however eventually do seem to become reality. It's something that popped up a couple of days ago, it's not the first time the Ukrainians have claimed Russia is doing this.

LOL LOOK AT YOU CONSPIRACY THEORIST LOL

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I know people who still believe Iraqi did 9/11 because they don't want to look like conspiracy theorists.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Accretionist posted:

I know people who still believe Iraqi did 9/11 because they don't want to look like conspiracy theorists.

American Sniper does this for them.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Accretionist posted:

Is there something warranting a strong position on the notion Russia's locally cremating slain soldiers vacationers? I just googled it and the first article I read indicates the Ukrainian Security Service reported last week that Russia's cremating bodies which would otherwise prove their still-denied involvement. I'm just filing this away as 'a thing I heard.'

Except of course people haven't seen those crematoriums, but have seen and geolocated a frigging Pantsir S-1 in Makeevka --- an advanced Russian AA system which Ukraine doesn't have.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

kalstrams posted:

I think there is some fairly uncontested airfield in Luhansk oblast, but I am not certain, nor do I know if, in case it does exist, it is in workable condition, and sufficient for jets mentioned.

There are two (presumably) undamaged Airfields in Luhansk that seem to have avoided the fighting, the old one at the aviation museum (2140 meter runway) and the Luhansk int. Airport(2910 meter runway)

These are both large enough for pretty much any plane at the museum. Even the TU-95 could probably make it off the ground at the museum and without a doubt at the airport, though I don't know why they'd need a intercontinental bomber.

Not that this matters because from images on this blog http://fulbright-scholarship-luhansk-ukraine.blogspot.com/p/luhansk-aviation-museum.html the planes seem to be in bone-yard condition, many seem completely stripped. Besides two An-2's that are operated by the museum. That being said a bet some coal miner turned hero of the motherland will repair one of those MiG-21's using farm equipment and old newspapers.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The liveleak video shows the hardware exists and operates out of a nondescript truck. It would also make sense to operate them on the Russian side of the border, rather than right on the front lines.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Has Russia come up with some hilarious excuse for the Pantsir? As people have said, it's not something Ukraine ever had, it's something only Russia sells so....

I'm guessing just "lol what Pantsir?"

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

"Pantsir?? I barely knowing of her!" at every press conference where the issue came up.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
It's a counterfeit made by the homonazis to discredit brave honorable Russia.

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0-PrLzf5ps

Russian Roulette -- Dispatch 89

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Warbadger posted:

If the rebels actually threw 30+ tanks into an operation it would be entirely feasible for them to be lost in a poorly conceived attack. Driving in a convoy and ending up bunched up on a road during an ambush/artillery barrage, for example.

And then we'd have *plenty* of photographic evidence to back that claim up. But we don't.

Much like those "entire companies" wiped out attacking the airport claims, and a when an ukrainian Brown Moses photo-dude goes through every photo he can find to ID Russian tanks used in the conflicts he can confirm... 3 destroyed tanks in total, most/all at the airport.

Also, if the rebels were actually tossing around tank battalions like it was going out of style we'd have bigger numbers of losses on the ukrainian side than the "3-4-5-6 per day" claims.

blainestereo
Jan 16, 2013

Clearly the pantzir is on vacation, whatever it does on its free time is none of your business.

Also lol @ crematorium conspiracy. The same poo poo was spewed by separatists about half a year ago, evil Junta and its mobile evidence burners etc. Makes much more sense when Putin does it though, right?

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
Are there no shovels in Russia and the Ukraine?

RocketSurgeon
Mar 2, 2008
I would imagine it sucks to dig holes in the middle of winter.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

blainestereo posted:

Clearly the pantzir is on vacation, whatever it does on its free time is none of your business.

Also lol @ crematorium conspiracy. The same poo poo was spewed by separatists about half a year ago, evil Junta and its mobile evidence burners etc. Makes much more sense when Putin does it though, right?

There's a lower threshold when it comes to believing all the weird poo poo that Russia does. Primarily due to their previous actions.

If a country goes all "no comrade, we're not in Ukraine" while actively sending troops there, then it's more believable that they are also capable of reprehensible poo poo like mobile crematoriums. Even if that's not the case.

blainestereo
Jan 16, 2013

Shovels are just not evil enough, see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

There is a lot of land in Donetsk region to dump and bury bodies, which would take about the same amount of time as setting up "mobile crematoriums". Not to mention the constant stream of humanitarian convoys to actually get the bodies out.

• Locked thread