Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

there's an "open archive" option in my 7zip menu that pops a gui open but it always fails for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
there's also a ui for browsing an archive

it also gives access to the settings and preferences

since you'd never need to access any of that it's mostly vestigial unless you're using it to browse a .vhd or something

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

UHARC lol

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

infernal machines posted:

there's also a ui for browsing an archive

it also gives access to the settings and preferences

since you'd never need to access any of that it's mostly vestigial unless you're using it to browse a .vhd or something

i often send office files to 7zip so that i can pull out the raw images without anything getting reprocessed by the save dialog. this is particularly useful when you need images from people because they can just drop them into word or powerpoint and call it a day.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

wow, this is pretty vile

who thought it was a good idea to send a woman who got raped in an uber a coupon for her next ride?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Condiv posted:

wow, this is pretty vile

who thought it was a good idea to send a woman who got raped in an uber a coupon for her next ride?

beep boop i am a techie i have no empathy

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
probably just a massmail blast to all people who have used uber (maybe in the last x days or more than y times idk)

there's plenty of actual comically evil poo poo to hate about uber without needing to make up more

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

holy poo poo the doublethink

I got this the other day because I used uber once:

quote:

Ridesharing helps make cities safer. A new study we conducted with Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD) shows just how powerful choice can be

uber and madd: two lovely organizations that can be poo poo together

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

what was it AP style guide says not to use the word ride sharing?

owns

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam
http://www.philly.com/philly/business/20150131_Lyft_cars_to_sport_company_mustache_for_defiant_Philly_debut.html

quote:

Vincent Fenerty, executive director of the Philadelphia Parking Authority, said Lyft began operation around 6:30 p.m. Friday and that less than an hour later, one of its driver's vehicles was in the process of being impounded.

Uber, which has seen 29 of its drivers stopped and fined by the PPA and their cars impounded, is not going to make it easy for PPA officers to identify them by displaying the placards.

god bless the ppa (in this specific limited instance)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

erm... actually thieves should be summarily executed

Snapchat A Titty posted:

what was it AP style guide says not to use the word ride sharing?

owns

yeah, the AP officially terms it "ride-hailing" because they correctly recognized that "sharing" is incorrect and misleading

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Sagebrush posted:

yeah, the AP officially terms it "ride-hailing" because they correctly recognized that "sharing" is incorrect and misleading

that's not specifically better though as it follows uber's narrative of "we're just a software company"

they do a hell of a lot more then just let you hail rides with an app

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

that's not specifically better though as it follows uber's narrative of "we're just a software company"

they do a hell of a lot more then just let you hail rides with an app

ride hailing is also the preferred term for traditional companies that didn't run cabs themselves but provided central dispatch/calling facilities over the phone to independent cabbies.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Nintendo Kid posted:

ride hailing is also the preferred term for traditional companies that didn't run cabs themselves but provided central dispatch/calling facilities over the phone to independent cabbies.

yes, and it was entirely applicable to them. hailo is a ride hailing company

uber is not

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

yes, and it was entirely applicable to them. hailo is a ride hailing company

uber is not

the only thing uber does that traditional companies referred to as for ride hailing didn't is flagrantly violate laws.

uber doesn't want to be referred to as a ride hailing company because it implies it should follow those well established laws

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

WARNING: INCOMING FISHMECHING

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

game over

fishmech wins

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

WARNING: INCOMING FISHMECHING

in other words "warning: infernal machines got caught being wrong"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Nintendo Kid posted:

in other words "warning: infernal machines got caught being wrong"

keep going, i'm almost there

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

uber is a ride hailing company like kraft is a macaroni company

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ok so you don't know what a ride hailing company is. noted.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

is there a dialog skip button whereby you play through your masterstorke augment without constant prompting, or does that not give you enough flexibility?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

please don't steal the idea for ubermacncheese

gonna disrupt the food truck paradigm

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

is there a dialog skip button whereby you play through your masterstorke augment without constant prompting, or does that not give you enough flexibility?

the masterstroke argument is that you clearly have no idea what a ride hailing company did or does, child

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

so no then.

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
it's cute when fishmech uses the word "child" as punctuation

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

daft punk railroad posted:

it's cute when fishmech uses the word "child" as punctuation

he usually does that when he's run out of rhetorical hooks.

that or he just keeps using the last one to see if it'll catch this time.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Nintendo Kid posted:

the masterstroke argument is that you clearly have no idea what a ride hailing company did or does, child

dsyp

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

theres nothing more to say dude, you're just plain wrong about what a company does.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Munkeymon posted:

uber and madd: two lovely organizations that can be poo poo together

like i can 100% agree that drunk driving observably went down in my hometown after uber/lyft showed up, but that doesn't make uber less poo poo

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
it doesn't have to be a ride they'll pick up a box or a dog or w/e

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

JawnV6 posted:

it doesn't have to be a ride they'll pick up a box or a dog or w/e

or go to the store and pick up some ice cream for you

although i suppose you could argue that the ice cream is the passenger

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

or go to the store and pick up some ice cream for you

although i suppose you could argue that the ice cream is the passenger

running a courier side thing has been a common thing ride hailing companies have done since the 1900s

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Nintendo Kid posted:

running a courier side thing has been a common thing ride hailing companies have done since the 1900s

cool beans

look, i know you really want to do this, but if you're just going to be ridiculously pedantic with semantics or shuck and juke your point into next week there's not much point is there?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

cool beans

look, i know you really want to do this, but if you're just going to be ridiculously pedantic with semantics or shuck and juke your point into next week there's not much point is there?

when are you going to admit you didn't know jack poo poo about ride hailing companies

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
as a not-poor fat white man (the kind no one wants to rape) who lives and works in san francisco, uber is pretty cool.

get privileged i guess, that's my lesson to everybody who isn't me

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Nintendo Kid posted:

when are you going to admit you didn't know jack poo poo about ride hailing companies

~nope~

going for a pint.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jan 31, 2015

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Beast of Bourbon posted:

as a not-poor fat white man (the kind no one wants to rape) who lives and works in san francisco, uber is pretty cool.

at this point wouldn't it make more sense to try to grassroots up some support for making taxis less poo poo rather than throwing money at uber for not being as bad as taxi services?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

Beast of Bourbon posted:

durrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

• Locked thread