Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

xzzy posted:

Watch too many cop shows, GOTTA PRESERVE THE CRIME SCENE.

OTOH move the cars and now you're at the mercy of the other person telling the truth about what happened. Officer on the scene will probably just say "well you claim he rear-ended you, he claims you were driving in reverse at a high rate of speed and slammed into him while stopped and I just can't tell who is at fault here" and then you have a no-fault accident on your record.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
And that's why I really need to buy a replacement for my dashcam.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
There is actually one sort of good reason. I've seen a car get rear ended on the freeway in LA, start pulling off to the side of the road, and the guy who hit them took off. But I suppose he could have just backed up and done it anyway.

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW
Was in an accident blocking a major intersection and I ended up being forced by a cop at gunpoint to attempt to roll my car with a demolished front suspension and front/rear axles off the road. It made it maybe a foot before the whole front end jumped up like it was on hydraulics and then poo poo the bed. Ended up full fault because I couldn't prove what I was doing after moving my car and the other driver was good at lying.

So how about those police bodycams?

HEY VAPER fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jan 31, 2015

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

HEY VAPER posted:

So how about those police bodycams?

Won't help you - as soon as someone needs it they'll delete the footage and claim the camera malfunctioned or there was a sad, tragic "accidental" data loss.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

HEY VAPER posted:

forced by a cop at gunpoint to attempt to roll my car

What the ever-loving gently caress? :psyduck: Even for the US, that's a whole new level of insanity...

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

dennyk posted:

What the ever-loving gently caress? :psyduck: Even for the US, that's a whole new level of insanity...

I dunno, I've certainly seen videos of cops using "or I will shoot you" as punctuation. I think it has precedent.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Speaking of dumb drivers in Phoenix in the rain. Well, actually neither of these was related to the rain in any way, they were just dumb.

Item 1 - Left turn only lanes (especially the middle one at a triple left) are just suggestions, right?
Item 2 - How exactly do round-abouts work?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVCUCNHi4Fg

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Last weekend I was taking a bike ride at noonish and was waiting in line with cars at a light. It went through a green cycle and at first nobody went, then there was honking, and finally people darting around the first car in line. The light turned red and I slowly worked my way up the bike lane (I usually wait in line like any other car because undertaking on the bike lane is both rude and dangerous) to find that the person at the front of the line was 100% asleep at the wheel. I though the dude was dead at first and was pulling my phone out to call 911 until he woke up as I rapped on the windshield. I stayed way the gently caress behind him after that and the people that passed me kept giving me questioning looks with the window down and their eyes would get huge when I said "asleep".

I wish someone would make a non action-cam/gopro front bicycle camera. The poo poo I run into is crazy because as far as most drivers are concerned I don't exist and they don't have any reason to hide their awful behavior.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

Shifty Pony posted:

I wish someone would make a non action-cam/gopro front bicycle camera. The poo poo I run into is crazy because as far as most drivers are concerned I don't exist and they don't have any reason to hide their awful behavior.

Like the Fly12? http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/01/cycliq-mounted-camera.html

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

Got a delicious bit of schadenfreude today. Raining a decent bit so combined with traffic meant for 1/4 mile visibility for most of my commute, and yet there was some fuckwit in a Prelude driving two feet off of everyone's rear end and cutting people off to pass people. With either high beams or badly aimed headlights to boot.

About 10 miles later, I saw that same Prelude on the shoulder, front bumper trashed, after having rearended someone. :waycool:

Saw the same thing here only with a 4x4 Suburban and 3 inches of snow on the roads, it was awesome.

Geoj posted:

Won't help you - as soon as someone needs it they'll delete the footage and claim the camera malfunctioned or there was a sad, tragic "accidental" data loss.

My brother in law was killed by a metro train, we are 90% sure he was stuck on the tracks since there was a long history of complaints from cars getting stuck there and his car was found with the gear in reverse. The news even aired footage from the train's cameras for the first two days but suddenly all the cameras "failed seconds before impact." There was a good law firm persuing the case, but thanks to tort reform there is a ridiculously low max payout for loss of life which was not going to cover legal fees.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

this is tame but something that happenedon friday reminded me of louis ck and people's favorite thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZLuldnwSHw

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

ijustam posted:

this is tame but something that happenedon friday reminded me of louis ck and people's favorite thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZLuldnwSHw

I must turn now! What is a u-turn?!

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!
Just got brake checked this morning on the motorway.

There was a 4x4 in front of me, and infront of the 4x4 was a lorry going 90 km/h, the 4x4 pulls out to overtake the lorry, and so do I - I kept my 2 car lengths behind the 4x4 mathcing the speed, and still the guy in the 4x4 quickly steps on his brakes, and then speeds off.

According to out traffic laws, I did everything by the book - but unfortunately there wasn't any police around, the guy driving the 4x4 could have lost his license doing that.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Kidney Stone posted:

Just got brake checked this morning on the motorway.

There was a 4x4 in front of me, and infront of the 4x4 was a lorry going 90 km/h, the 4x4 pulls out to overtake the lorry, and so do I - I kept my 2 car lengths behind the 4x4 mathcing the speed, and still the guy in the 4x4 quickly steps on his brakes, and then speeds off.

According to out traffic laws, I did everything by the book - but unfortunately there wasn't any police around, the guy driving the 4x4 could have lost his license doing that.

DASH CAAAAAAAAM

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

Geirskogul posted:

DASH CAAAAAAAAM

Yeah, I know - got one, just need to install it...

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

dennyk posted:

I guess she thought I had an attitude problem when in reality it was a "this thing is literally to hosed to go anywhere without a flatbed tow" problem. But yeah she came up to my car with her gun drawn and pointed at me saying she was going to pull me out of the car etc if I didn't roll it to the shoulder. I didn't get out of my car to put a flare up or anything because the driver who hit me proceeded to reverse and then hit my car about 5 more times after the accident and I thought he was legitimately mentally ill or something. Also the driver suddenly became the passenger when it was time to go to court. I really ought to get a dashcam and external mic's.

HEY VAPER fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jan 31, 2015

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Ah so they actually are going to make it then. I was worried they had given up on it.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Holy poo poo will wonders never cease, I just saw a retard hogging the left lane get pulled over and ticketed for it.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

kastein posted:

Holy poo poo will wonders never cease, I just saw a retard hogging the left lane get pulled over and ticketed for it.

Queue up the hallelujah music!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Can you imagine the look on their face as they're pulled over, just about to start getting indignant... and a manky Comanche rolls past with Ode To Joy blasting out, driver giving them a death stare?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Got stuck behind an suv today that insisted on going straight in the turn only lane. Sitting at a red and then we get the turn light and they don't move. Gave a quick honk and got the finger back. Honked more and tried pointing out the "turn only lane" sign, even the driver behind me tried motioning to them about the sign. More emphatic finger waving from the suv in front

Ended up just honking to tune of shave and a haircut 2 bits as they got progressively angrier :haw:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

kastein posted:

I'd wager he didn't actually get a ticket, probably just a stern talking-to or maybe a written warning.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

kastein posted:

Proof or gtfo

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Geoj posted:

I'd wager he didn't actually get a ticket, probably just a stern talking-to or maybe a written warning.

If you were a cop, why wouldn't you write the gently caress out of a full ticket for that, though? It's money for your department/city all the same, and it teaches some moron a lesson. If I were a traffic cop, I'd never get sick of writing those tickets, nor jaywalking tickets for people who enter the intersection when the goddamn hand is already showing.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

EightBit posted:

Proof or gtfo

My drat G1W is a poo poo tier piece of chinesium and stopped working a while ago :(

There have been electronic notice boards warning that holding the left lane is illegal and will be cited for a while now but I figured it was bullshit.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Was out for a nice ride on some twisty ridgeline roads today, and got stuck behind a car driving fifteen or twenty miles an hour (road is marked 35) so that the passenger could hang out the window and film the view with her iPhone. For two and a half miles continuously.

There was a woman in an SUV stuck behind this car as well and she was super pissed, weaving back and forth and slamming the gas and brake. We finally reached a turn-off, and the SUV started to take it...then the slowpokes dashed left without signaling, cut off the SUV, and continued slowly down the road, filming the whole way.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Sagebrush posted:

Was out for a nice ride on some twisty ridgeline roads today, and got stuck behind a car driving fifteen or twenty miles an hour (road is marked 35) so that the passenger could hang out the window and film the view with her iPhone. For two and a half miles continuously.

There was a woman in an SUV stuck behind this car as well and she was super pissed, weaving back and forth and slamming the gas and brake. We finally reached a turn-off, and the SUV started to take it...then the slowpokes dashed left without signaling, cut off the SUV, and continued slowly down the road, filming the whole way.

Need to pull one of those cop PIT maneuvers and knock her off the cliff.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

PT6A posted:

If you were a cop, why wouldn't you write the gently caress out of a full ticket for that, though? It's money for your department/city all the same, and it teaches some moron a lesson. If I were a traffic cop, I'd never get sick of writing those tickets, nor jaywalking tickets for people who enter the intersection when the goddamn hand is already showing.

Harder to prove in court (not like they have to prove speeding tickets but at least they can say they had you on radar/laser) and I'm fairly certain impeding the flow of traffic is generally not a moving violation so lower fines.

On top of most PDs only give any fucks about speeding and DUI, from my understanding you can write the correct number of tickets to hit your quota "reasonable expectation of work" but still get chastised or even written up for not writing the right kind of tickets.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Sagebrush posted:

Maybe I'm the rear end in a top hat you share a road with, but I think the using the horn would've been clearly indicated until slowpoke fucks off to the side of the road or speeds up.

I had someone doing a similar thing when I let my buddy drive my car out in BC... it pissed us both off so much that he tried a really dodgy overtake and nearly put my car in the ditch. He's RCMP, no less; I wonder what they teach you in depot...

He's also no longer allowed to drive my car.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=d5a_1422729013 :stare:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

PT6A posted:

Maybe I'm the rear end in a top hat you share a road with, but I think the using the horn would've been clearly indicated until slowpoke fucks off to the side of the road or speeds up.

Oh, SUV lady was using her horn plenty. The people in front were either deaf or assholes (I know where I'm casting my bets)

When I'm on my motorcycle and I can't pass, as on that road, I tend to hang back away from people rather than try to urge them forwards. Motorcycles lose to cars when it's a battle of assholes on the road. I usually limit it to the occasional "what the gently caress?" or "hang up your phone" hand gesture.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Feb 1, 2015

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

That's scary stuff right there, especially for the white car that got thrown across.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

Oh, SUV lady was using her horn plenty. The people in front were either deaf or assholes (I know where I'm casting my bets)

I don't get why people don't just pull over and let people pass if they want to pass. If someone behind me indicates they'd like to pass, I'd love to have them in front of me. It's better for me in every way than having them behind me.

Last summer I spent 20 minutes after getting off a ferry going 70 in a 100 km/h zone (a beautiful twisty one at that) because some rear end in a top hat at the front didn't feel like passing, and most of the other people in the queue they created wanted neither to pass nor to allow space for anyone to pull in front of them while attempting to overtake a line of 20 vehicles. It would've been so, so easy for everyone if the one rear end in a top hat at the front just pulled over for a minute and let everyone pass. I've been in that situation as both the passer and the person being passed, and it's just so wonderful because everyone gets what they want!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I think it has to be some kind of stuck-up misguided "I'm a great driver, so why should anyone need to drive faster than me??" thing

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003
It's state law in AK to pull over if you have 5 or more cars stacked up behind you. DOT spent this last summer putting in about 2 dozen very badly needed passing zones on the several hundred miles of the 2 lane Seward Highway. Old people and tourists routinely drive at a snails pace and clog it up. The combination of that and impatient douchebags in bro trucks who want to do 80 in a 55 all the time causes lots of unsafe passing and head-on collisions.

It amazes me that you can rent RVs up here with no kind of special training or license endorsement. Just sign the paperwork and get on the incredibly dangerous road!

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Michael Scott posted:

Nope, but I do use them as a "stand anywhere" button on side streets and in parking lanes since they're supposed to be used to warn other drivers of stopped traffic in the road. I've never blocked anybody. And it's essential for deliveries and other business in big cities.

I hope you get assraped by a Mack truck at 85 miles per hour, Micheal Scott you roadblock bitch

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

PT6A posted:

I don't get why people don't just pull over and let people pass if they want to pass. If someone behind me indicates they'd like to pass, I'd love to have them in front of me. It's better for me in every way than having them behind me.

When I was being a dumb tourist driver on the smaller secondary roads in Ireland a few years ago, I pulled over quite a few times to let folks pass. Sometimes it took a while to get to a spot where I could pull over, what with the lack of shoulders and all, but I'd always do so at the first opportunity.

I will say that despite my puttering along at what must have been an agonizingly slow speed to the locals who were familiar with the area and used to driving on winding twelve-foot-wide two-way roads with no shoulders at 80kph, I never had anyone honk at me or get aggressive. They'd just follow along at a polite distance until I hit a turn-out, then go zooming off on their way and leave me in their dust. :)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

I think it has to be some kind of stuck-up misguided "I'm a great driver, so why should anyone need to drive faster than me??" thing

I always figured it was some kind of "well they taught me not to cut line in kindergarden, and I'm gonna tell teacher if you try to get in front. :qq:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW
I feel like there's also a good number of people who do it because they feel some sort of moral obligation to passive aggressively stop you from speeding. I've definitely been in the car with drivers who brag about things like cuting off speeders, intentionally driving slowly on double-line one ways, brake checking, speeding up when they're being passed on 2-lanes, cutting people off going below the speed limit, pulling into streets below the speed limit, and various other dangerous and avoidable situations. In fact that's a pretty common driving style 'round these parts.

Some goon in a red Leaf used to (still does?) post really good dashcam videos of comically lovely drivers and near-misses, and of course they all take place along my old commute.

HEY VAPER fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Feb 1, 2015