Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

I've been playing UG infect in Modern for a little while now, but I decided that the manabase was too consistent and I didn't have enough dumb cards in it. So I added some red with Ghor-Clan Rampager and Temur Battle Rage, because trample is awesome and Double strike with trample is pretty awesome too.

Deck: Temur Infect

//Lands
3 Breeding Pool
1 Forest
4 Inkmoth Nexus
1 Island
4 Misty Rainforest
2 Pendelhaven
2 Stomping Ground
2 Windswept Heath

//Spells
2 Apostle's Blessing
2 Distortion Strike
3 Gitaxian Probe
4 Groundswell
4 Might of Old Krosa
4 Mutagenic Growth
2 Rancor
2 Temur Battle Rage
4 Vines of Vastwood

//Creatures
4 Blighted Agent
2 Ghor-Clan Rampager
4 Glistener Elf
4 Noble Hierarch

Display deck statistics

This is the dumbest poo poo ever, right? Ghor-clan seems pretty awkward in there now that I look at it, but I like having another pump that gives trample. Temur Battle Rage might be too expensive for the deck, and it provides no bolt protection, but it can just win the game immediately if there are no blockers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

AlternateNu posted:

I think I developed my janky Game Day deck!

Jeskai Legends
3 Battlefield Forge
4 Flooded Strand
2 Island
4 Mystic Monastery
3 Plains
3 Shivan Reef
2 Temple of Enlightenment
2 Temple of Triumph

3 Alesha, Who Smiles at Death
3 Anax and Cymede
3 Brimaz, King of Oreskos
2 Daxos of Meletis
3 Narset, Enlightened Master
3 Shu Yun, the Silent Tempest

4 Hero's Blade
1 Heroes' Podium

4 Jeskai Charm
4 Lightning Strike
3 Temur Battle Rage
4 Valorous Stance

:v: :v: :v: :v: :v:

All the creatures in the deck are scary as hell, and when you can guarantee that they're huge when they come into play, they get all that much better. The Johnny play of the deck is bringing back Daxos with Alesha and equiping him with a Hero's Blade. Or attacking with a 6/4 Narset that flips over a Jeskai Charm and Temur Battle Rage for 14 points of lifelinking trampling damage.

Given the color and theme, this deck needs to be called "Real American Heroes." Deck looks hilarious though.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I'm not sure if those four red cards are any better than just running two more Rancors and just plain Giant Growths. I thought Infect was fast as poo poo already when it worked, why spread the mana out and potentially give your opponent more time to answer?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Angry Grimace posted:

Given the color and theme, this deck needs to be called "Real American Heroes." Deck looks hilarious though.

I'd call it "Hulkamania" but that's just me.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
omg have u guys noticed how jeskai is red white and blue just like america/????

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

I have noticed that, yes.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

omg have u guys noticed how jeskai is red white and blue just like america/????

Norwegian control forever :norway:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

suicidesteve posted:

I'd call it "Hulkamania" but that's just me.

Alesha, Who Smiles at Death - Cody Rhodes :v:
Anax and Cymede - Triple H + Stephanie McMahon
Brimaz, King of Oreskos - John Cena
Daxos of Meletis - Chris Jericho
Narset, Enlightened Master - Tamina Snuka
Shu Yun, the Silent Tempest - ???

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Brock Lesnar. No I don't know anything about wrestling, I just know that dude's name.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

AlternateNu posted:

Shu Yun, the Silent Tempest - ???

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Cactrot posted:

I've been playing UG infect in Modern for a little while now, but I decided that the manabase was too consistent and I didn't have enough dumb cards in it. So I added some red with Ghor-Clan Rampager and Temur Battle Rage, because trample is awesome and Double strike with trample is pretty awesome too.

This is the dumbest poo poo ever, right? Ghor-clan seems pretty awkward in there now that I look at it, but I like having another pump that gives trample. Temur Battle Rage might be too expensive for the deck, and it provides no bolt protection, but it can just win the game immediately if there are no blockers.

Why not run Flesh // Blood instead of Temur Battle Rage? It's the same effect but you can use it before combat regardless of the board state or use it second main phase if your guy sticks around.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
Hello, someone tell me me how to make this deck good, or at the very least not bad. Be brutally honest, hold nothing back, all input is welcome!

Deck: Red/Green Ramp

3 Atarka, World Render
3 Xenagos, God of Revels
2 Yasova Dragonclaw
2 Shaman of the Great Hunt
4 Elvish Mystic
4 Sylvan Caryatid
4 Generator Servant
4 Flamewake Phoenix

2 Frontier Siege
3 Lightning Strike

3 Xenagos, the Reveler
2 Nissa, Worldwaker

7 Mountain
6 Forest
4 Temple of Abandon
4 Wooded Foothills
3 Mana Confluence

//Sideboard
2 Magma Spray
4 Destructive Revelry
3 Barrage of Boulders
2 Hunt the Hunter
4 Winds of Qal Sisma

Display deck statistics

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
Xenagod, while cool, is a trap and you should probably run Sarkhans or Stormbreaths instead.

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

WILL MY PONY RECOGNIZE MY VOICE IN HELL
Two rough drafts of different decks I like, casual Sui Black and a land destruction heavy MonoB Pox for Legacy. Any input would be welcome and appreciated:

Deck: SuiBlack casual deck

//Main
4 Ashenmoor Gouger
4 Bloodghast
4 Dark Confidant
4 Dark Ritual
4 Diregraf Ghoul
4 Geth's Verdict
4 Hymn to Tourach
2 Phyrexian Revoker
16 Swamp
4 Thoughtseize
4 Umezawa's Jitte
2 Victim of Night
4 Wasteland

//Sideboard
4 Vampire Hexmage
4 Pithing Needle
3 Grafdigger's Cage
4 Leyline of the Void

Display deck statistics

Deck: MonoBlack Pox

//Main
3 Choking Sands
2 Crucible of Worlds
2 Cursed Scroll
4 Dark Ritual
1 Dust Bowl
1 Ghost Quarter
4 Hymn to Tourach
3 Innocent Blood
4 Inquisition of Kozilek
4 Liliana of the Veil
3 Mishra's Factory
1 Nether Spirit
4 Sinkhole
4 Smallpox
12 Swamp
4 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
4 Wasteland

//Sideboard
4 Leyline of the Void
4 Trinisphere
4 Pithing Needle
3 Ratchet Bomb

Display deck statistics

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Ok guys. I think I've finalized the super awesome jank for tomorrow. I'll see if I can't get a couple games out of it tonight at FNM. (We're doing draft this week.)

Jeskai Legends
3 Battlefield Forge
4 Flooded Strand
2 Island
4 Mystic Monastery
3 Plains
3 Shivan Reef
2 Temple of Triumph
1 Mana Confluence

1 Alesha, Who Smiles at Death
2 Anax and Cymede
4 Brimaz, King of Oreskos
2 Daxos of Meletis

4 Hero's Blade

4 Jeskai Charm
4 Lightning Strike
3 Temur Battle Rage
4 Valorous Stance
2 Dig Through Time

Sideboard
3 Anger of the Gods
3 Disdainful Stroke
1 Negate
3 Stubborn Denial
2 Erase
2 Elspeth, Sun's Champion
1 Polymorphist's Jest

The major changes include the decision to drop to 15 creatures. I'm leaning heavily on Narset's ability to just close out the game, which she has done in spectacular fashion so far. And I removed the two Arc Lightning in the sideboard for a 3rd Disdainful Stroke and a Polymorphist's Jest. The jest is a hilarious flip with trampling Narset and can close out the game by itself if they decide to overblock her. (She is almost always alone on my side of the field in the late game. And, I'm often kept alive by judicious use of Jeskai Charm's lifelink ability.) And making the opponent's creatures 1/1s with a triggered Anax + Cymede is basically a board wipe where they still take damage.

By far, the biggest weakness of the deck is straight control. End Hostilities destroys your blades along with the creatures they're attached to, and while the sideboard counter suite is fairly impressive, it can be difficult to close out the game if they're able to resolve more than one draw spell before you kill them. But almost no one in my meta plays straight U/W or U/B control. So, we'll see how that goes.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005
Deck: Simic Morph

//Main
8 Forest
4 Island
4 Sagu Mauler
1 Kruphix, God of Horizons
4 Trail of Mystery
4 Rattleclaw Mystic
3 Nylea, God of the Hunt
4 Temple of Mystery
4 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
4 Temur Sabertooth
4 Icefeather Aven
4 Yavimaya Coast
4 Elvish Mystic
4 Courser of Kruphix
4 Whisperwood Elemental

//Sideboard
2 Back to Nature
3 Naturalize
3 Hunt the Hunter
4 Polukranos, World Eater
3 Reality Shift

Display deck statistics

So I've been going slowly insane working on this deck. It's tantalizing - what started off as a janky Secret Plans rogue deck has developed into something that maybe, just possibly, has potential. Whisperwood Elemental is a powerful card that rewards playing lots of creatures, which leads to Icefeather Aven and Sagu Mauler - turns a 6/6 trample hexproof beast for 5 cmc is pretty good. Trail of Mystery looks a bit strange, but it's actually pretty essential to how the deck works - the shuffle effect works well with Courser, and the card draw adds even more of a punch to Whisperwood. Plus, the +2/+2 on the flip is great and really helps with the surprise blocks. Nylea is an excellent fit in this deck and is easy to activate, while Kruphix as the one-of mostly operates as a fourth Nylea. That said, this deck can produce huge amounts of mana, and have lots of place to stick it, so Kruphix can be useful. The deck wins through incremental card and mana advantage.

The sideboard is pretty straightforward. Perilous Vault is a boogey man for this deck, so naturalize holds its own based on just that, and it's effective against the Ascendancy combos. Hunt the Hunter is good against Abzan, especially Fleecemane Lions, and Reality Shift provides creature removal and exile effects. Polukranos comes in against aggressive and token decks, and could probably justify itself in the mainboard. For the moment though, I feel like the blow-out potential of Sagu Mauler against midrange and control decks makes it the big creature of choice.

Honestly, I feel like I've been messing around with this deck too long and lost objectivity. I've been playing people on XMage and haven't lost yet, but that's probably just because people are terrible. I doubt this deck, in this form, is going to be top tier, but... the main core seems powerful. It doesn't fold outright to any of the major decks, and I never really feel like I can't win. I suspect that a stronger version in a different color combination - Sultai gives access to superior creature and PW removal, while Gruul/Temur gives access to burn and some really powerful creatures.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Deck: Temur Ascendancy Combo

//Lands
9 Forest
4 Frontier Bivouac
4 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
4 Yavimaya Coast

//Spells
3 Temur Ascendancy

//Creatures
2 Arbor Colossus
2 Boon Satyr
3 Courser of Kruphix
4 Eidolon of Blossoms
4 Elvish Mystic
4 Genesis Hydra
3 Heroes' Bane
2 Hornet Queen
3 Karametra's Acolyte
3 Kiora's Follower
1 Nylea, God of the Hunt
2 Prophet of Kruphix
3 Sylvan Caryatid

Display deck statistics

Thinking of dropping the Boon Satyrs for Kruphix because I'm winding up drawing a shitton of cards

e: Will probably wind up doing that temur sabertooth/voyaging satyr/nykthos combo once I can get my hands on one.

WhiskeyJuvenile fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jan 31, 2015

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
Deck: Smize at Death

//Lands
4 Bloodstained Mire
10 Mountain
2 Polluted Delta
5 Swamp
1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth

//Spells
2 Murderous Cut
4 Wild Slash

//Creatures
4 Alesha, Who Smiles at Death
4 Bloodsoaked Champion
4 Eidolon of the Great Revel
4 Firedrinker Satyr
3 Flamewake Phoenix
4 Goblin Rabblemaster
4 Pain Seer
2 Purphoros, God of the Forge
3 Tymaret, the Murder King

//Sideboard
2 Murderous Cut
4 Mardu Heart-Piercer
4 Bathe in Dragonfire
2 Battle Brawler
3 Mardu Strike Leader

Display deck statistics

Anyone want to give me a hand streamlining this thing? I really want to run Flamewake Phoenix and Alesha in the same deck, but I feel like maybe the Phoenix doesn't fit here because the only reliable ways to activate its ability is Purphoros and the Firedrinker Satyr. Probably need to shell out for Thoughtseizes, I guess, but I don't know where I'd fit them in. Maybe this needs to be Mardu?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Deck: Temur Ascendancy Combo

//Lands
9 Forest
4 Frontier Bivouac
4 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
4 Yavimaya Coast

//Spells
3 Temur Ascendancy

//Creatures
2 Arbor Colossus
2 Boon Satyr
3 Courser of Kruphix
4 Eidolon of Blossoms
4 Elvish Mystic
4 Genesis Hydra
3 Heroes' Bane
2 Hornet Queen
3 Karametra's Acolyte
3 Kiora's Follower
1 Nylea, God of the Hunt
2 Prophet of Kruphix
3 Sylvan Caryatid

Display deck statistics

Thinking of dropping the Boon Satyrs for Kruphix because I'm winding up drawing a shitton of cards

e: Will probably wind up doing that temur sabertooth/voyaging satyr/nykthos combo once I can get my hands on one.

I played it last night as well. I would drop the Hero's Bane for Sabertooths and Crater's Claws (may it more than 1 way to go off.) I was able to kill someone with just mana dorks after getting off 2 Claws for 12. I may just put 4 knuckleblades in the SB and go away from the combo after game 1.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Lancelot posted:

Anyone want to give me a hand streamlining this thing? I really want to run Flamewake Phoenix and Alesha in the same deck, but I feel like maybe the Phoenix doesn't fit here because the only reliable ways to activate its ability is Purphoros and the Firedrinker Satyr. Probably need to shell out for Thoughtseizes, I guess, but I don't know where I'd fit them in. Maybe this needs to be Mardu?

You're trying to be the burn deck without any of the good burn cards. That's really the issue. Flamewake and Eidolon of the Great Revel are anti-synergistic to the deck. With all the mid-range and control floating around, I will guarantee you that you'll be doing way more damage to yourself with Eidolon than to your opponent who will take 2 to drop a Courser then wall it for days.

So, does anyone think Modern Jund Dredge could work with a Lotleth Troll/Vengevine/Flamewake Phoenix/Golgari Grave Troll shell? I'm seriously considering this as my first real foray into Modern, but I have absolutely no experience with dredge strategies. I've already started building the deck (got the Vengevines, Bloodghasts, Phoenix, and 3 of 4 Lotleth Trolls), but I'm wondering if it is worth collecting the final pieces.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Deck: Mardu Warriors

//Lands
4 Battlefield Forge
4 Bloodstained Mire
4 Caves of Koilos
2 Mountain
4 Nomad Outpost
1 Plains
2 Swamp

//Spells
4 Crackling Doom
4 Lightning Strike
2 Mardu Ascendancy
2 Outpost Siege

//Creatures
2 Alesha, Who Smiles at Death
4 Battle Brawler
4 Bloodsoaked Champion
2 Brutal Hordechief
4 Chief of the Edge
4 Goblin Rabblemaster
2 Kolaghan, the Storm's Fury
4 Mardu Woe-Reaper

//Sideboard
2 Arcbond
3 Mardu Charm
2 Mardu Strike Leader
3 Ride Down
2 Sorin, Solemn Visitor
1 Stain the Mind
2 Utter End

Display deck statistics

I took this to 3-1 at FNM yesterday, losing to Sidisi Whip. The sideboard is garbage and I need to rework it. I also need to get rid of that one Plains that I think I was using as a placeholder for a Mana Confluence. Initial impression that I and my opponents had were that the deck is extremely aggressive while still having a few tools if I got stuck in a longer game (Kolaghan and Outpost Siege mostly). I'm debating on adding at least one more Brutal Hordechief and moving Mardu Ascendancy into the sideboard.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
So I built a thing.

Deck: Azorius Soulblade

//Lands
4 Darksteel Citadel
4 Flooded Strand
3 Island
3 Plains
4 Temple of Enlightenment
4 Tranquil Cove

//Spells
4 Cloudform
2 Dig Through Time
2 Disdainful Stroke
4 Ensoul Artifact
4 Ghostfire Blade
2 Lightform
2 Monastery Siege
3 Negate
2 Reality Shift

//Creatures
2 Archetype of Courage
1 Medomai the Ageless
1 Monastery Mentor
2 Nyx-Fleece Ram
4 Ornithopter
2 Phyrexian Revoker
1 Thassa, God of the Sea

//Sideboard
1 Nyx-Fleece Ram
1 Spectra Ward
3 Erase
1 Disdainful Stroke
1 Reality Shift
1 Archetype of Courage
4 Gods Willing
1 Lightform
2 Phyrexian Revoker

Display deck statistics

Not sure how good it is exactly but I managed 2-2 at FNM yesterday at least. Could have been 3-1 if I'd let my Round 1 Control opponent resolve a Dig on my end step and countered the followup Resolute Archangel instead, had him all the way down to 1. :(

Cloudform does work and is super tough to remove. Voltroning up a Cloudform or Lightform with a counter up for removal feels pretty great. Not to mention the potential early beats of an Ensouled Citadel/Ornithopter. Medomai is mostly there for laughs but I just like the idea of Manifesting him too much to drop him (plus I don't have anything I desperately want over him for game 1). If I had a second Mentor I'd probably replace him with that but I'm not buying one of those anytime soon. The Archetypes help take care of Bees because Bees are the only real thing that put the brakes on my dominance of the skies. I thought about replacing the Negates with Stubborn Denials but it's just not consistent enough that the Negates end up better.

:words:

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Mercury Crusader posted:

Deck: Mardu Warriors

//Lands
4 Battlefield Forge
4 Bloodstained Mire
4 Caves of Koilos
2 Mountain
4 Nomad Outpost
1 Plains
2 Swamp

//Spells
4 Crackling Doom
4 Lightning Strike
2 Mardu Ascendancy
2 Outpost Siege

//Creatures
2 Alesha, Who Smiles at Death
4 Battle Brawler
4 Bloodsoaked Champion
2 Brutal Hordechief
4 Chief of the Edge
4 Goblin Rabblemaster
2 Kolaghan, the Storm's Fury
4 Mardu Woe-Reaper

//Sideboard
2 Arcbond
3 Mardu Charm
2 Mardu Strike Leader
3 Ride Down
2 Sorin, Solemn Visitor
1 Stain the Mind
2 Utter End

Display deck statistics

I took this to 3-1 at FNM yesterday, losing to Sidisi Whip. The sideboard is garbage and I need to rework it. I also need to get rid of that one Plains that I think I was using as a placeholder for a Mana Confluence. Initial impression that I and my opponents had were that the deck is extremely aggressive while still having a few tools if I got stuck in a longer game (Kolaghan and Outpost Siege mostly). I'm debating on adding at least one more Brutal Hordechief and moving Mardu Ascendancy into the sideboard.

Glad to hear the deck's working ok. How was Woe Reaper, especially against Whip?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

BizarroAzrael posted:

Glad to hear the deck's working ok. How was Woe Reaper, especially against Whip?

Woe Reaper's ability really does feel like it works best in a tribal deck. See a Hornet Queen hit the board? Throw another warrior on the board. I'm actually surprised how many people didn't notice Rabblemaster was a warrior when I'd drop it to take out their graveyard dudes. You'll still need an answer to the lifelink that Whip provides, however, but I've been successful at keeping the opponent from whipping creatures back into play at least. Definitely a relevant ability in this environment.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Lancelot posted:

Deck: Smize at Death

//Lands
4 Bloodstained Mire
10 Mountain
2 Polluted Delta
5 Swamp

//Spells
2 Murderous Cut
4 Wild Slash

//Creatures
4 Bloodsoaked Champion
4 Firedrinker Satyr
3 Flamewake Phoenix
4 Goblin Rabblemaster
4 Pain Seer
2 Purphoros, God of the Forge
3 Tymaret, the Murder King

//Sideboard
2 Murderous Cut
4 Mardu Heart-Piercer
4 Bathe in Dragonfire
2 Battle Brawler
3 Mardu Strike Leader

Display deck statistics

As others have said I really don't like Eidolon in this deck, most of what you're casting will get your burned by Eidolon and you're already losing life off of Pain Seer. I don't like any of the Ferocious cards either, Purphoros probably won't be a creature most of the time and it seem folly to burn yourself pumping Firedrinker to activate Ferocious. I think I see what you're going for here, which is to sac creatures to Tymaret, then recur them through various means, get Purphoros damage, and repeat. To that end I think Mardu Strike Leader might be maindeck-able here.

Also general PSA- when posting lists from Deckstats, can we turn off the option to show mana symbols next to card names? They're .gif files and on the Awful app those appear as giant GIF icons until you load them, which makes such lists tough to read.

VV Oh yeah, that too.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Feb 1, 2015

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

What are those Polluted Deltas doing in there

get them out of there

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
It's even in the title of the thread!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Marginal murderous cut fuel not worth it?

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

AlternateNu posted:

Ok guys. I think I've finalized the super awesome jank for tomorrow. I'll see if I can't get a couple games out of it tonight at FNM. (We're doing draft this week.)

Jeskai Legends
3 Battlefield Forge
4 Flooded Strand
2 Island
4 Mystic Monastery
3 Plains
3 Shivan Reef
2 Temple of Triumph
1 Mana Confluence

1 Alesha, Who Smiles at Death
2 Anax and Cymede
4 Brimaz, King of Oreskos
2 Daxos of Meletis

4 Hero's Blade

4 Jeskai Charm
4 Lightning Strike
3 Temur Battle Rage
4 Valorous Stance
2 Dig Through Time

Sideboard
3 Anger of the Gods
3 Disdainful Stroke
1 Negate
3 Stubborn Denial
2 Erase
2 Elspeth, Sun's Champion
1 Polymorphist's Jest

The major changes include the decision to drop to 15 creatures. I'm leaning heavily on Narset's ability to just close out the game, which she has done in spectacular fashion so far. And I removed the two Arc Lightning in the sideboard for a 3rd Disdainful Stroke and a Polymorphist's Jest. The jest is a hilarious flip with trampling Narset and can close out the game by itself if they decide to overblock her. (She is almost always alone on my side of the field in the late game. And, I'm often kept alive by judicious use of Jeskai Charm's lifelink ability.) And making the opponent's creatures 1/1s with a triggered Anax + Cymede is basically a board wipe where they still take damage.

By far, the biggest weakness of the deck is straight control. End Hostilities destroys your blades along with the creatures they're attached to, and while the sideboard counter suite is fairly impressive, it can be difficult to close out the game if they're able to resolve more than one draw spell before you kill them. But almost no one in my meta plays straight U/W or U/B control. So, we'll see how that goes.

I want to see a trip report from people with Standard FNMs/PPTQs who ran Jeskai Legends (aka Real American Heroes), because I've been playtesting it a lot and it just folds under any sort of pressure from Abzan Midrange. Oh, it will absolutely wreck Whip if it gets some gas in its engine, but it has a hard time dealing with Sorin (whose ultimate is the bane of the deck's existence, which manifested in a game where I didn't see a single Temur Battle Rage or Lightning Strike the whole game, and Narset's hail mary attack turned up four lands) and Wingmate Roc. It's fun jank, don't get me wrong, but oh my can it turn up some real ugly hands.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

OK, I've brewed this up for FNM

Deck: Untitled Deck

//Main
4 Tormenting Voice
3 Seeker of the Way
4 Ponyback Brigade
4 Butcher of the Horde
3 Monastery Swiftspear
4 Crackling Doom
2 Chained to the Rocks
2 Mardu Charm
4 Lightning Strike
2 Dragon Mantle
4 Bloodstained Mire
3 Temple of Silence
1 Temple of Triumph
4 Battlefield Forge
2 Nomad Outpost
2 Swamp
4 Mountain
4 Plains

Display deck statistics

The idea is to use the tormenting voice to get ponyback in to the graveyard and then fetch that badboy back with Alesha.

Lot's of removal to get the early game sorted and the tormenting voice also triggers prowess to make the early game viable.
Butcher to have a sac outlet to put the ponys back in the graveyard however by that time the engine should be in full swing so that might be a bit redundant.
I've goldfished a ton and it really seems viable, anything I'm missing?

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

I ran Jeskai Legendary at this past FNM. I went 3-1. Lost to UB control in the first round 1-2, way too much removal. That deck is this one's perfect foil. Won round 2 2-1 against a cobbled-together Sultai Villainous Wealth. Only lost the second game because he had more fogs than I had combat phases. Won third round 2-1 against UW heroic, game 3 was super close though - won at 1 life. I can't remember what round 4 was against but I went 2-1 there too. Think I'm going to drop the Aleshas for a third Daxos and maybe a Stoke or something. It just feels like she's not doing much in the deck, and there aren't a lot of legends in Jeskai colours that can replace her. Maybe a fourth Brimaz? He's pretty tits with 2 Blades on him.

Alan G
Dec 27, 2003

Soothing Cacophony posted:

So me and a friend are starting to brew Red Devotion for the upcoming standard season, I think Flamewake Phoenix and Mardu Scout are perfect for filling this sort of deck out to make it playable.

Deck: Untitled Deck

//Lands
4 Battlefield Forge
14 Mountain
3 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
4 Temple of Triumph

//Spells
3 Chained to the Rocks
3 Crater's Claws
1 Sarkhan, the Dragonspeaker

//Creatures
4 Ashcloud Phoenix
4 Fanatic of Mogis
4 Flamewake Phoenix
3 Goblin Rabblemaster
4 Mardu Scout
1 Purphoros, God of the Forge
4 Stormbreath Dragon

Display deck statistics

If the format stays relatively clear of sweepers, this could be a pretty slick deck. Crater's Claws + Fanatic of Mogis is a ridiculous amount of reach, especially when you get to use Nykthos. I'm not sure if Chained is worth the splash or not; it's crazy good, but it weakens the mana base and you don't have to worry about Master of Waves anymore. It opens up some better sideboard options like Erase and Valorous Stance though. Either way I am entirely looking forward to Fireballing people for a million while they hide behind Rhinos and Hornets.

I just took a variation of this to the final of a PPTQ, it was pretty strong in a heavy control field - 5 of top 8. Not sure where I found the original list. The board was weird - had 3 of the 1/2 enchantment tutors to find the Chains but not a fourth chain, so changed the board around a bit.

Main I was
+1 Nykthos
+2 Wind-Scarred Crag
-3 Mountain
-1 Sarkhan

-2 Ashcloud Phoenix
+ 1 Goblin Rabblemaster
+1 Purphoros

It was really strong against control but folds to Abzan (as I found out today in a GPT, lost to it in semi). For playing today I went -2 Fanatic +2 Valorous Stance. If I had seen the field before registration at PPTQ I would have went -4 Fanatic, +2 Sarkhan +2 Chandra

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS

Rinkles posted:

Marginal murderous cut fuel not worth it?

That's pretty much the only use. You're still probably better off pulling those two for two more swamps or two B/R duals.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I had a dream last night that I went to FNM with a deck that looked like this:

Deck: RW Monks

//creatures
4 Monastery Swiftspear
4 Seeker of the Way
4 Soulfire Grand Master
4 Monastery Mentor
2 Goblin Rabblemaster

//spells
4 Raise the Alarm
4 Wild Slash
4 Lightning Strike
2 Magma Jet
3 Chained to the Rocks
2 War Flare

//Land
4 Battlefield Forge
4 Mana Confluence
7 Plains
8 Mountain

Display deck statistics

I have no clue at all if this is either viable or an already existing archetype. Can anyone point me to something like it? I need to make my dreams come true.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Angry Grimace posted:

I had a dream last night that I went to FNM with a deck that looked like this:

Deck: RW Monks

//creatures
4 Monastery Swiftspear
4 Seeker of the Way
4 Soulfire Grand Master
4 Monastery Mentor
2 Goblin Rabblemaster

//spells
4 Raise the Alarm
4 Wild Slash
4 Lightning Strike
2 Magma Jet
3 Chained to the Rocks
2 War Flare

//Land
4 Battlefield Forge
4 Mana Confluence
7 Plains
8 Mountain

Display deck statistics

I have no clue at all if this is either viable or an already existing archetype. Can anyone point me to something like it? I need to make my dreams come true.

If it were me I'd swap out the Raise the Alarm for Hordeling outburst, the turn 2 play I'd always be expecting to play is a lightning strike or chained to the rocks to take out an early blocker.

I'd also swap the rabblemaster for 2 chandra but that's just because I don't like things that force me to attack and if you hit a hordeling outburst with chandra's ultimate it's funny as gently caress.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

AceClown posted:

If it were me I'd swap out the Raise the Alarm for Hordeling outburst, the turn 2 play I'd always be expecting to play is a lightning strike or chained to the rocks to take out an early blocker.

I'd also swap the rabblemaster for 2 chandra but that's just because I don't like things that force me to attack and if you hit a hordeling outburst with chandra's ultimate it's funny as gently caress.

Originally when I thought this up it did have Hordeling Outburst, but the deck is so all in on Prowess that it seemed better to just puke dudes for cheaper. And if World of Warcraft has taught me anything, its that Goblins can't be Monks, so more Rabblemasters is a no-go.

I actually think a deck like that might be legitimate if Arid Mesa was legal. Chained is awesome as removal, but I can't help but imagine you'd get screwed by a lack of mountains if there's a roadblock like Courser in the way.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Feb 2, 2015

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Angry Grimace posted:

Originally when I thought this up it did have Hordeling Outburst, but the deck is so all in on Prowess that it seemed better to just puke dudes for cheaper. And if World of Warcraft has taught me anything, its that Goblins can't be Monks, so more Rabblemasters is a no-go.

I actually think a deck like that might be legitimate if Arid Mesa was legal. Chained is awesome as removal, but I can't help but imagine you'd get screwed by a lack of mountains if there's a roadblock like Courser in the way.

I've actually been trying to brew up a W/R deck similar to this for a while but I always end up splashing black for crackling doom then end up thinking gently caress it and going full mardu

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

AceClown posted:

I've actually been trying to brew up a W/R deck similar to this for a while but I always end up splashing black for crackling doom then end up thinking gently caress it and going full mardu

I don't think the mana is there to make a "real" three-color aggro deck (Abzan "Aggro" is basically midrange, its just more aggressive than the "Midrange" version). We could do it in RTR because Shocklands are legitimately good fixing for multiple colors, but fetchlands are super mediocre at fixing your mana in a three color shell.

The bigger problem here is giant loving blowouts to Anger and Drown in Sorrow. But all weenie aggro decks kind of have that problem.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Mardu Ascendancy is your Drown in Sorrow/Anger of the Gods insurance. Just noticed you're in boros, not mardu, but that's what I use in my similar deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Mardu Ascendancy is your Drown in Sorrow/Anger of the Gods insurance. Just noticed you're in boros, not mardu, but that's what I use in my similar deck.

I'd think a black splash isn't actually that out of the question given you can just run 4 Bloodstained Mire, one swamp in place of Mountains.

• Locked thread